IBM Employee Reviews

Terrible Company
Team Lead/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 9, 2018
No benefits, low pay. No career advancement. Upon entering the company I was enticed with the allure of unlimited growth potential. Once I was hired it was discovered that this was not the case. I had hit my growth potential on day 2. Sprinkle in no benefits, poor management and inequality of pay and you have the formula for IBM.
na
IT Manager - Omgeo (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2018
I have over 25 years across various technical positions for a large security depository and post-trade financial services company (“The Depository Trust and Clearing Corporation”). I started as a mainframe systems engineer and worked my way up to Systems Director managing the development, maintenance and support of various post trade settlement systems.

My technical background ranges from in-depth operating system internals to application development across varying hardware and software platforms. I am knowledgeable across many programming languages and architectural design principles. I’ve managed large and small teams and projects focused on domestic and international securities trading processes used by all major Brokers, Banks, the Federal Reserve as well as internal Operational and Compliance departments.

As a resource manager, I enjoy working with individual staff members to build effective teams. I enjoy coaching and help guiding careers that align with the company’s vision.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Only good in key locations
Infrastructure Engineer (Current Employee) –  Keyser, WVJanuary 9, 2018
As it stands, if you are not working in one of the IBM Key locations (HQ, Boulder, New York) you are forgotten about and paid well below the normal of your peers. Most managers are remote to their employees and have little idea what their employees are doing.
Pros
Big Named Company
Cons
Management and Pay
Company lost it's way after many quarters of not making revenue targets
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago and HoustonJanuary 8, 2018
CEO did not have of vision of where she wanted to take the company of what the competitive landscape was doing. The result was poor business performance. The answer to making revenue targets was to layoff many people
Pros
pay, training
Cons
too many layoffs
was a fun and exciting place as a security guard and the mailroom
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  56th Street and Madison AvenueJanuary 8, 2018
A Typical day at work was very fun and exciting the people were very nice the tenants visitors and even the supervisors were very nice and professional and i learned a lot from this place and was able to get a job at the Trump Organization. The hardest part of the job was not having a good salary and no insurance benefits nor a 401k.
Pros
We had several breaks as well as good transpiration to your home.
Cons
We had a low Salary and no Health Benefits
Pinch the pennies
SRFE senior field engineer (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 8, 2018
IBM management was in the process of trying to lower the support staff numbers and payroll costs. It was a great company to work for once a long time ago. Not so much any longer. No standby or shift differentials any longer as they were taken away as a cost cutting measure and employees are expected to answer their phones at any time of night to take calls.
Pros
Always new equipment to learn
Cons
Cost cutting
Great Job, Interesting Work, No Job Security
Global Program Manager Sales Management Services (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJanuary 8, 2018
I love my job but am watching the organization offshore roles daily. It makes no difference of my work ethic, I am always looking over my shoulder wondering if my job is next.
Pros
Interesting work, remote office
Cons
No job security
still struggling to identify itself
BUE (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 8, 2018
It's musical chairs and if you lose your seat you are gone regardless of performance. The quarterly layoffs make it a really depressing place to work.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
instability
I loved my contract at IBM. I was lured away by a permanent position, and my contract was due to end soon.
Central Document Control Specialist; Contractor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 7, 2018
IBM is a great place to work. The culture, the people, the work etc. I was sorry I had to make the decision. My manager was fantastic. IBM did what they could to socialize employees off hours and also had great trainings.
Pros
everything
Cons
none except that it was a contract
Great company to work for
Software Engineering Professional (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 7, 2018
IBM really takes care of employees, in terms of benefits and available ongoing training. Some projects require everyone to be at the same site, but many have people who travel every week or telecommute.
Waste of time
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXJanuary 7, 2018
I'm not going to waste my time breaking down everything wrong with this place. False promises, low pay, and you are very expendable.

Would not recommend.
Decent for Entry Level Position
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 7, 2018
This was a decent entry level position (first job out of college), but I know very few people who still work there. Most people wanted to leave after a couple years.
Acquisition To IBM Employee To Automation of Applications/Assets to New Job seeker
Project Coordinator/Sr. Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 7, 2018
Excited about when IBM was interested in acquisitioning Internet Security Systems, until a few years of hard labor and around the clock locking in of financial data and asset information before/after their time of trade, where I found that through all of my great ideas being put to use, and applied, my manager gets to keep his job while I was given a few weeks to find new employment within IBM or take severance pay and part ways from what could have been a wonderful opportunity!

Playing an intricate role on the IBM/ Internet Security System's transitioning team was awesome.
Pros
Being able to participate in something wonderful.
Cons
My Manager got the Glory and his team got the boot!
workplace culture
Sales and Use Tax Analyst (Former Employee) –  Southbury, CTJanuary 7, 2018
good vacation and decent benefit
not good salary increase
short of headcounts
working too many hours
cutting down benefit like 401k (get contributed only in dec )
Pros
good benefit
Cons
no salary increase
Less salary and less career development oppertunity
Application Architect (Current Employee) –  Bentonville, ARJanuary 6, 2018
Work culture in IBM is not stressful. You will get enough leave and holidays. You can get exposure to new technologies. But you will get less salaries and career development opportunities in IBM.
Ibm
Software Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 6, 2018
Overall a very good place to work. You are well compensated but are required to do what you have to in order to get the job done. In my position, on-call was required which could result in you working all night and through a weekend.
Fun place to work
Call Center Mortgage Debt collector (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 6, 2018
No enough job compensation for the type of work provided as a Certified Public Financial Account, and Mortgage Debt Collector as a Contractor. No job growth, plenty of daily job stress in a high volume call center working with the general public trying to collect debts owed for past due mortgage accounts, with not enough compensation or job career growth for the type of work that is being done on a constant basis.
Pros
Flex time for Paid Time Off when you can get it.
Cons
Short breaks, not enough pay
IBM lost respective for the individual employee
North America Services Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 6, 2018
Worked for IBM Global Services for 30+ years.. IBM was a great company for most of my career. The basic values it practiced related to its employees had been positive influence on myself and others to want to come to work and make a difference for IBM and our customers. I still know that there are many who continue to practice these values, but they are now the exception.
Pros
Its field personnel are among the best in the business, Some executives still embrace the value of respect for the individual.
Cons
Executive management is not held to the same principles as the field sales and delivery teams
Plenty of opportunities if you work for it
Lab Administrator (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 5, 2018
I enjoyed my experience at IBM. It was an internship as a lab administrator maintaining servers, laptops, virtual machines and automated backup solutions.
Exciting challenges, but stressful due to lack of job stability
Software Deployment Leader (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJanuary 5, 2018
I found that the vast majority of team members are solid, and are eager to collaborate across functions and product areas. First line and second line management are engaged and helpful. The big picture strategy is communicated well by the company, but not how it pertains to the individual employee. You can be doing your job well, and contributing, yet still find that your employment is terminated. A lot of training is available but you must actively pursue it and block out personal time to complete it. It is difficult to re-invent such a large company, and it is easy for good employees to become a casualties. It has become stressful in that everyone is concerned about the stability of their own job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.