IBM
5,745 reviews

IBM United States Employee Reviews

It's always work to do
Software Developer (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 31, 2015
I learned a lot for the past 12 years in IBM. I enjoyed working with most of the people around me. The hardest part is I heard people leaving. I like to work with people around the Global.
Glad to be at IBM
Staffing Consultant (Current Employee), AtlantaMarch 31, 2015
Privileged to be at IBM. IBM's Kenexa RPO a very challenging on site work environment. High turn over. Enjoyed working with peers and client.
Awesome company to work for
Systems Support Specialist (Former Employee), Carson City, NevadaMarch 31, 2015
Pros: Flexible Hours
Cons: The assignment was completed
I was able to work flexible hours while going to college. Always a professional environment and my co-workers were helpful and relaxed.
I started my career in IT field from this company.
Customer support representative (Former Employee), Parsippany, NJMarch 31, 2015
Nice company to work for. Lots of advancement opportunities. Salary was not great at the time I worked there.. Overall it is a good company. It has came a long way in the industry.
Fun place, nice place, lots of things I learned there
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 31, 2015
Pros: 8 hours a day and optional overtime
Cons: It is no longer in business in Austin
Productive, busy, friendly and positive work place.
A company that teaches you so much about technical equipment and computers.

You can work as many hours as you want. Great work place and great benefits.

The company has great work ethics and I like how they coach you on new things all the time. This company gives back so much to its community wherever they operate.
Would not recommend working here.
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee), Bentonville, ARMarch 31, 2015
This is the type of job where no matter how much more work you're doing than the other guy, he gets a raise because he knows the boss. They employ too many people who have no computer experience which results in the entire office being slowed down.
Good to work from home
Systems Administrator (Former Employee), RemoteMarch 30, 2015
Working remote can leave you disassociated with the people you work with but it does give back some flexibility. Good benefits and training but the salary is less then what others pay.
Lots of work with diversity of job!
AIX/Unix Administrator (Former Employee), DelawareMarch 30, 2015
Loved it as I had a very nice team full of knowledgeable
people and diversity of tasks as it was a mixed team
of people will all types of problems.
Great environment for some but not for me
Senior Managing Consultant (Current Employee), Herndon, VAMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Great benefits and vacation packages and flexibility
Cons: Very driven, excellent is normal so you have to do better than that to get noticed
What IBM does for business and IT is great. They have breaking edge technology and are doing great things for the world. But as an individual employee you can get lost. Different parts of the company have work/life balance but not all. The vacation and benefits are very good. But to advance or move up or even get notices you have to do better then great. Great is normal and what is expected so you end up having to think, be, and act way above everyone to move up. You can feel very alone in a large organization.
Good company but management not so great or supportive
Software Project Leader/IT Mainframe Support (Former Employee), Poughkeepsie, NYMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Advancement and good opportunities
Cons: Management
Good company overall to work with
- Co-workers were professional and friendly
- good place to advance
- benefits were very good
RCA Coordinator
Root Cause Coordinator (Current Employee), Dubuque, IAMarch 28, 2015
• Worked with one of largest outsourcing clients, performing root cause analysis to determine cause of server failures in environment of 3500+ servers.
• Developed, tracked and drove remediation plans to completion by engaging and coordinating multiple groups in efforts.
• Participated in regular conference calls with management and technical representatives, sharing information as to the cause and resolution of server malfunctions.
• Developed comprehensive tracking system in Excel to track and record detailed incident information, resulting in savings of thousands of dollars annually.
• Used Pivot tables to pull data from excel spreadsheet and determine number of times server has had issues over past month.
Really professional co-workers
IT Specialist (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCMarch 27, 2015
Really great customer assignments and professional co-workers. A lot of really experienced and talented employees. Unfortunately management hasn't quite gotten a grip on changes in the industry and so layoffs each year has been terrible on moral.
Place to work
WebSphere Developement (Former Employee), Poughkeepsie, NYMarch 27, 2015
A typical day at work : 8am to 5 PM
What you learned: New technology
Management : somewhat ok.
Co-Workers : Good
Enjoyable part of the job: Product delivered !
Quirky, Nerdy, and Stressful
Customer Service/Tech Support (Former Employee), Boulder, COMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Working with great people. Health benefits.
Cons: Working inside all day staring at a computer screen. Some buildings have zero windows even.
Although this call center was indeed hundreds of calls in front of a computer screen which can induce stress, the people you work with next to you or over the phone always made the day pretty interesting. As a supervisor for Apple's technical support I spent my days with the best of nerds, with jokes all around, and competent/professional attitudes that helped resolve issues for customers constantly, like at least 50-300 times a day depending on call volume. Not being able to resolve an issue could be quite frustrating, especially at the supervisor level where issues were already more difficult than most. However figuring out complex issues were some of the best moments as well. Overall this company has many contracted projects ranging from Apple, Turbo Tax, Mortgage, etc. all the way to other various positions within IBM's large infrastructure.
I worked from my school
Marketing and Web Design (Current Employee), Storrs Mansfield, CTMarch 26, 2015
The clients who we worked with from IBM were great, and very helpful throughout the process.
I typical day working with classmates helped us get a lot of work done and we came up with a lot of ideas.
IBM GBS
Senior Managing Consultant (Former Employee), RemoteMarch 26, 2015
Pros: the Brand name on your resume
Cons: minimal rewards
Utilization is most important, 93% or greater, emphasis is on the individual to find project to work on, must give back to the company its expected, long work hours, minimal rewards and no raises, employees are nickeled and dimed on benefits, taxes and services, too many layers of management, great place for a college grade to get 2-3 experience than move on, not a long term place to work.
Company with long history
Global Software consolidation spending Lead (Former Employee), Somers NYMarch 26, 2015
Company used to be more diverse. Hardware, Software, Services and Technology. More today becoming a software company predominately.
Not what I expected
Senior Physical Oracle DBA (Current Employee), Roseville, CaliforniaMarch 25, 2015
IBM is not the company it was and is not what I expected. There are issues with the IT management in their clietn relations.
GREAT EXPOSURE AND EXPERIENCE
HRIS Business Analyst (Current Employee), Frisco, TXMarch 25, 2015
The culture is very laid-back and employee friendly. Several management interactions is a plus. Very understanding of your personal responsibilities and will try to assist. Typical day consist of reporting to Exec, managements,ops managers operational production. Challenging aspect would be decisive vision at times or directives, though through meaningful dialogue eventually reach a consensus. Enjoy the freedom to learn.
IBM is not what it used to be
Software Engineer (Current Employee), RTPMarch 25, 2015
Pros: You can work from home if need be
Cons: No coffee, no water, onboarding experience is horrible
There isn't any funding for anything. Managers pay out of their pockets for team picnics or for a team luncheon. There is no training - you are thrown in the fire and expected to meet deadlines and know how to complete your project. Documentation is lacking or non-existent. Raises are had to come by, and bonuses are rare. Even market based raises are scarce and given out only if you receive a very high rating.

About IBM

International Business Machines Corporation (IBM), is an information technology (IT) company. s major operations include Global – Read more

IBM Salaries