IBM

6.3K reviews

IBM Employee Reviews

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Research Triangle Park, NCJune 30, 2015
Management and staff take the time to make sure you have the needed materials and information to succeed. They actually would make you feel as a part of the team.
Great company to work for
Network Project Manager (Former Employee), Boulder, COJune 29, 2015
I thoroughly enjoying working for IBM and all of the technical teams I managed and worked with. Every architect and engineer I worked with would gladly recommend me again.

I was fortunate to work for a long time Manager who was wonderful to work with. I would gladly return any time.
Business Analyst Project Management Office
Project Coordinator / Business Analyst (Former Employee), San Bruno, CAJune 29, 2015
Pros: could work remotely 30% of the time, good health care.
Cons: employees are basically a number
IBM is a company that pushes there employees to the max. I was outsourced to IBM and then my position was outsourced to Brazil.
Job security was minimal. Bonuses were made out of reach because of the way the company is structured at that time. I never actually met my manager face to face only phone calls every couple of weeks and a team meeting on the phone once a week that seemed pretty meaningless. Perhaps if I worked for the main company and not on an outsourced contract it might be better. I know a lot of people that have worked for this company for 10+ years and love it.
Terrific office and people
Business Analytics - Resource Deployment Manager (Current Employee), Armonk, NYJune 28, 2015
Pros: Terrific office and people
Cons: Commuting when weather was poor.
The office and people were terrific and some became long time friends. Much was learned over a long term at this company.

The difficult part was commuting to the downtown Chicago office, especially when weather was poor.
Productive, ability to learn a lot and move up positions
Manufacturing Operator, 5S Saftey Rep (Former Employee), Essex Junction, VTJune 28, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Long Breaks, Friendly Co-Workers, Good maintenance team
Cons: Management lacked knowledge of machines and operations
12 Hour shifts - 3-4 Days a week in a clean room for a micro electronic semi-conductor fab. Hours 7pm to 7am

Learned the processes of how microchips are created. Got certified on every machine in my department that adds to the process of creating microchips. Went a little above and took on some extra position such as the safety 5S rep. Recipe creating on some of the computers that didn't have the proper recipes to measure residual metal thickness on computer chip wafers. Learned the basic and a little advanced maintenance on maintaining tools and keeping them running.

Management was fairly decent. Managers were rotated or newly hired every year so some lacked knowledge of their departments, but were a pleasure to work with for their people skills. Always open for ideas and easy to talk to with concerns and problems.

Co-workers were friendly, pleasure to work with, most had strong work ethics.

Hardest part of the job was adjusting my schedule on my days off. I worked a shift from 7pm to 7am 3 days a week, alternating 4 days a week every other week. Sometimes trying to switch back to a day schedule on my days off were a bit of a challenge on those long work rotations.

Most enjoyable part of the job was the job itself. I really enjoyed what we did. I found the job very interesting and there were always things to do. I enjoyed it so much that I made it my mission to learn every machine set in our department inside and out. I had a good relationship with the maintenance team and from that I learned far more than just the basics of running the machines, but also having the ability to bring them back up when minor problems had occurred. That also made the job enjoyable.
Direrctor for IBM Connections for Registro SL- an IBM partner
Director of "IBM Connections for Registro SL (Former Employee), Madrid, MDJune 28, 2015
Pros: the line of products IIBM Connections was absolutely fantastic
Cons: highly deficient and dictarial management
I was appointed Director for the new line of IBM Connections software products that were starting to introduce in Spain through several IBM business partners such as the one I worked for.
The medium sized company of about 300 workers was however extremely poorly managed and there was basically no chain of command, making of t basically a dictator type centered at the CEO run company, which was a shame since its high specialized work force was extremely badly managed and overworked, with zero incentives, and this was leading company to suffering massive losses. The company philosophy of very poor management was thus manifesting itself in the massive losses, high discontent i the work force and extremely poor yearly sales, in addition to this, feedback was not encouraged and heavily confronted by the upper small management, who saw the workforce as mere workers and nothing else. This was the reason I left.
Productive and Fun
System Programmer & Team Leader (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJune 27, 2015
Pros: The freedom to invent new methodologies to install and maintain OS Software
Cons: none
Working on the AT&T account as leader of a team of up to 7 system programmers responsible for the installation of Operating system and other OEM/ISV product software in multiple sysplex environments in multiple datacenters around the country was daunting but a lot of fun.
Opportunities to learn and discover new tools and methods of performing the job were ever present.
Co-workers added to the opportunities to improve processes.
The hardest part of any technical job is the non-technical administrative requirements imposed that don't really add value to the function but are requirements nonetheless.
The most enjoyable is the fulfillment that comes when the project is successfully completed.
Consulting across lines of business
Lead Facilitator & Consultant (Former Employee), New York, New YorkJune 26, 2015
Pros: Meeting so many smart people.
Cons: The travel was brutal.
Hardware, software and services. So many opportunities to train really smart and talented people. The travel was extensive.
Sagging work morale due to layoffs, poor management
A nobody (Current Employee), Denver ishJune 26, 2015
Pros: Tough to get fired as a contractor
Cons: Poor work environment in general
A typical day depends on the type of person. Motivated folks take the majority of the workload and since this is noticed these same individuals are forwarded more work/responsibilities to the point of exhaustion. Unmotivated typically spend the day shopping or on social media while complaining they have nothing to do. It's a perplexing work environment. While the HR team struggles with attrition, they do nothing to help.

Executive management refuses to talk to anyone outside of their close circle. In my dealings they simply do not care about the same parties responsible for the lives they live. (Customers)

My situation has far less impact than the ladies and gentleman that have been laid off or "resourced" after 10, 12, 15, 20 and sometimes 30 years. This is not a company that takes care of it's workforce anymore. The existing folks wonder when their number is up, and that creates a number of issues altogether.

Still employed but very actively looking to place myself in a non-toxic environment.
work culture
Automation Test Lead (Current Employee), Bloomington, ILJune 25, 2015
good place to work at. Good work culture and colleagues. Excellent learning curve. Very supportive in undertaking trainings and certifications
Best job ever
Customer Service Rep./Account System Sales Rep (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJune 25, 2015
Pros: the company was a great employer
Cons: none
I was given the freedom to run my own territory and customer accounts. Management was always there when I needed them. I loved when I would sell and then help train and watch the new account grow with there new equipment.
Stuck in the past
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee), United StatesJune 25, 2015
IBM still relies heavily on it's reputation and "the good old days". There is an assumption that employees will stick around no matter what because IBM believes employees should feel honored to work for "Big Blue".
In reality, the employees who have been around for a long time and were grandfathered into lucrative retirement plans will stick around until they retire if allowed to "coast it out". Typically, these tenured employees are not very effective and have become dead wood further weighing down the company to cling to the past.
Newer hires and acquired employees eventually see IBM for what it is. IBM will continue to treat employees like game pieces and cycle them through hiring, firing and layoffs at the whim of the quarterly financial forecast. There is no loyalty to employees. The finance team commits prior to each quarter how many people they will cycle out during the quarter and regardless of business performance or individual performance, they will lay these people off to meet their commitment of separation packages they have signed off on. Employees are rarely allowed to transfer once notified in an RA due to this financial commitment to pay a package, regardless how much the company could benefit from the person moving into a new position. Paying out the package is the only concern. If this sounds backwards and counter intuitive; it is!
IBM is currently assessing replacing all band 4 and below employees with contractors. This will continue to exasperate the issues they are having and further make this an employer of "last choice".
IBM is truly a horrible company and is dying a slow, painful death. Unfortunately, the ones who will experience the greatest pain are the employees who blindly sign up for this company and put their heart and soul into their work, only to be betrayed and treated poorly by IBM.
A good organisation to grow with, but only if you have enough patience
Senior system engineer (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 25, 2015
Pros: Less hectic workplace
Cons: Too big to become agile
A good organization to work where you have better work life balance. You come to know about a lot of advanced technology and achievements from with in the organization. But to get into the field is altogether a separate matter.
good place to work
International Shipper (Former Employee), san jose caJune 24, 2015
hard working company International Shipper. shipped over seas
to Singapore china hardest part of the job was the dead lines but we managed to meet every dead line on time great team to work with
Project Lead (Former Employee), Bentonville ArJune 24, 2015
Pros: Good people great benifits
Cons: Long hours
I loved working for IBM. The people there are in most cases warm and inviting and focused on a united goal. However, the hours are very long particularly during project periods
Great Company
DESK SIDE SUPPORT TECHNICIAN (Current Employee), Evansville, INJune 24, 2015
Wonderful comapny to work for. Coworker are great! Teamwork is seen everyday around the work place. I enjoy going to work every day.
hard work, little pay, little recognition
Operator (Former Employee), Essex Junction, VTJune 24, 2015
Pros: worked with good people
Cons: poor pay and treatment
I felt like a disposable piece of equipment that was waiting to be decommissioned. Constantly worried about job stability.
Great place for opportunity and growth.
Vice President, Geographic General Manager (Former Employee), AZJune 23, 2015
Worked with some of the brightest people in the world, helping customers solve strategic business issues, integrating processes, people and technology.
Good place to work .
Websphere Administrator (Current Employee), Poughkeepsie, NYJune 23, 2015
Good place to work ; Lot of opportunities in the company due to the direction its gearing towards. Various stringent processes that can be hard to follow but neverthless advised to follow always.
Good for persons who just wanna time pass
Technical Lead (Current Employee), Monroe, LAJune 22, 2015
Pros: Brand
Cons: everything is in managers hand
> Big Brand
> Very Good for married and relaxed guys
> Very low pay
> no career growth
> Just listen and execute
>very tough to get promotions
> full of saturated environment.
Headquarters