IBM Employee Reviews in United States

Found 4,046 reviews matching the search
Productive office environment and great work life balance
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 24, 2015
It's a great place to devote complete career life. Due it's wide range of industries inside one can easily find the best suitable position inside company which gives no choice but to love the company
Pros
work life balance, salary
Cons
holidays, management
I will recommend IBM to all my friends to work on.
Senior System Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 23, 2015
I will recommend IBM to all my friends to work on. I enjoyed a lot to work on IBM. Fun work place with supportive management.
Pros
Work life ballance.
Cons
Salary
No work life balance
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 3, 2016
My job, applications and myself were outsourced to IBM GBS. I oversaw outsourced work that was then transitioned into IBM GBS, so the move was outsourced development to a new outsourced development organization. The transition time period allowed by IBM was too short, leading to client dissatisfaction, missed deliverables and a ton of work trying to mitigate the information and knowledge gaps. IBM continues to under perform because they are only interested in making the contract profitable; the company is run by the salesmen. As such, they downsize application support and we lose folks we have just trained. I will say, my job allows me to work from home, but I prefer an office setting. IBM emphasizes, not work-life balance, but work-life integration, meaning you are working all the time.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Working 60+ hours/week is the norm.
Over-worked and underpaid like a paid internship
Customer Service Representative/SME (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJanuary 25, 2016
Check out the listed cons. That sums it up. I was hired on as a CSR/SME but management wanted me to continue serving as a trainer (served as trainer as a contractor for 6 months before becoming an IBMer). Then my supervisor said I was the training coordinator. But my pay and job description didn't reflect such duties. Stayed after hours to work on projects (due to heavy pressuring from the backup team lead) without pay because overtime was frowned upon. No respect for personal life and no room for creative thinkers. Too many staff meetings with higher ups where nothing is accomplished. Resigned after 16 months as an IBMer because of the low morale, overabundance in work load, and the fact that the working environ kept making me physically ill (air ducts aren't cleaned regularly and mold infestation caused me to get a sinus infection among other maladies). Contractors and IBMers alike dumped their grievances with management and the higher ups on me and then I was expected to solve their problems. I was often chastised for doing it when the team lead wouldn't. It's pretty sad when several people call me their team lead because I solved their problems. Sadder still to have the same people call me the team lead in front of the team lead.
Pros
Lots of vacation days.
Cons
No career options outside of Mgmt track, Contractors treated like serfs, No one cares about the low morale
A great learning experience
Associate Loan Administrator (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 17, 2015
The training and the job itself was very educational. I learned a lot during my time with IBM. I will say that corporate level management should play a bigger role in seeing to it that the companies they acquire live up to the IBM name and culture. It is also extremely hard to get converted from contractor to permanent employee status. Management has a lot to do with that.
Good Agile company
Senior Cyber Threat Analyst and Incident Response (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 9, 2016
It's was a very agile work day that fostered new ways and trends of learning, exploring and producing. Because your shop can be located in many locations around the world; it may take some readjusting but the positive side the wealth of knowledge that you can gain from people of different culture and background.
My task's at IBM
Mainframe Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 23, 2016
IBM was a great company to work for. I was assigned to the State of Tennessee account as a Mainframe Computer Operator with a one (1) year contract. I worked the second shift from 07:00 p.m. until 07:30 a.m. on Tuesday through Saturday with every other Saturday off. My manager and co-workers were great and always there when you needed them. The hardest part of my job would have been doing my own time for the hours I worked. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to work from home.
Pros
The pay and the benifits.
Cons
having no one to cover for me for vacations. Getting laid off after one year.
Good place if you want work/life balance and flexibility
Agile Coach/Scrum Master (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAAugust 26, 2015
IBM is indeed an old company and I can see why its fallen behind the new leaders in IT services. It does not put to much attention or focus on its employees and I am not sure there is any growth guaranted within company. Its good place only if you seek to work from home more often and need to balance personal life. Its good for old folks who aren't looking for much change and growth - I wouldn't recommend for anyone with any experience seeking a dynamic work culture.
Pros
Work from home flexibility
Cons
Management does not care about employees, too big a company to adapt to technological changes fast enough
To sum it all IBM is a great company to work for.
Sr.Linux / Unix System Administrator (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDDecember 29, 2015
on a typical work day, I would review logs, account provisioning, system monitoring, , software installation, application configuration management, access control, file backups, volume management, maintained system services, system maintenance, edit scripts to match, changes made on some configuration files. etc.
I learned that team work brings good success, A great place to work with a lot of smart people. co-workers are friendly and welcoming. the hardest part of the job is to troubleshoot a technical issue that impacts the environment. Where as the best part of the job is the fact that you have to always learning something new that wows your mind because technology evolves daily.
There is opportunity there but there are even more unnecessary challenges.
Senior Product Line Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 5, 2015
IBM has been referred to as a "Pillar of American Society" and I've been honored to work for them for as long as I have. The challenge they face now is a heavy handed old school management trying to be "hip" but do so by still holding to the longstanding bureaucracy and ignoring the culture that made them great.
Pros
There is some degree of job flexibility here, their Cognitive Computing initiative could change the world.
Cons
The HiPPO phenomenon is omnipresent here, they're trying really hard right now to pretend to be something they're not.
Great place to work!
Division Order Analyst Associate (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 28, 2016
I enjoyed working at IBM. My supervisor was wonderful. The group I worked in, Division Orders, had a team mentality. If I needed some help from a team member, they were there to help. Likewise, if someone needed my help for anything, I had the freedom to pitch in.
Pros
Great team members to work with; great work-life balance;
Cons
not permanent position
Lower than market rate compensation with minimal to no raises. "Management & Mktg by PPT."
Senior Demand Generation Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Work from home options, good health benefits, some smart people and good initiatives (like Smarter Cities, Watson)
Cons: Very poor compensation compared to market and virtually no raises. Marketing is heavy on internal executive reporting and PowerPoints, and despite wanting to implement a "new way to work," has leaned ever more heavily toward processes that impede work. IBM continues to measure and reward the wrong metrics in marketing. Classic example is an internal Twitter platform designed fore everyone in the company to spew out IBM tweets and tiles that they have not individually created. Quantity continues to be valued over quality; something that is becoming even more apparent during these times of earnings stress. IBM does not work smarter. If it did, it could go really far. It never cleans out its executive ranks so methods of working and culture do not significantly change.
Pros
Cons
Poor compensation, stale management, wrong metrics, and poor culture.
Excellent company
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  INFebruary 8, 2016
Good work life balance
WFH facility
Management is good.
Good perks
Nice work environment
Fun at work
learnt java related technologies.
Oversee operations and financial stability
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Endicott, NYJanuary 13, 2016
Managed up to 60 million dollars worth of inventory. Had to audit and review all inventory management transactions along with systematic history reports. Established strategic guidelines for employees to use for tracking and managing their projects inventory levels. Coordinated monthly audits with our manufacturing and warehouse locations for security and safety key points of interest. Evaluate financial strategy planning and verify it's authenticity. Work directly with 2nd and 3rd line management teams to ensure projects remain within the budget guidelines.
IBM was a great company to work for. IBM supported its employees and the employees in turn were committed to the company.
Customer Service Representative/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Oakbrook, IllinoisSeptember 28, 2015
I worked for IBM for five years. I was promoted twice and received high end of year bonuses based on my peer evaluations and accomplishments. The best part of the job was the support of management which allowed me to grow with the company. The hardest part of the job was the challenge of resolving customer issues. I enjoyed building rapport with our customers and wanted to resolve their issues promptly and to their satisfaction.
Pros
flexibility, job growth, performance bonuses, benefits
Fast paced global company
World Wide Services Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCDecember 20, 2015
Typical days were very long. My co-workers were often stressed. It was a challenge to achieve work-life balance. The mose enjoyable part of the job was being rewarded for launching a product on time.
Pros
Management was very supportive
Cons
Long work hours
A great company to work for with a corporate culture of inclusion
Telecommunications Analyst - Data (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 27, 2015
IBM is a great company for employment with excellent benefits. Accomplishments are recognized and rewarded. Being a current or prior employee has an inherent feeling of successful career accomplishment,
Pros
IBM has excellent benefits, each management employee can award upto 6 recognition gifts for exemplary accomplishments
Cons
Being competetive in a globalized economy requires constant work force streamlining, it is mandatory to plan on positions being subject to outsourcing opportunities
Chaning Quickly
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  NY, NYAugust 18, 2015
IBM is currently making drastic changes. Great place to work, find an area Executive Management is investing. Listen to the areas Ginni is excited about and join that Division.

Advice given during my tenure:

Leave after 10 years
Expect nothing (bonuses, large pay increase, dinner with colleagues) and you'll be happy.
Pack light, you'll move more times than you think possible.
Pros
Work Life Blance - if you don't have this leave
Cons
Pay, Benefits, uncertainty of where the company will land after all the changes
IBM is fantastic organization
Remote Technical Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Memphis/AtlantaJanuary 17, 2016
Great culture if you can thrive in a fast paced high pressure environment then you will really enjoy working with IBM.
In order to compete in a global economy the company is mandated to drive hard in order to ensure they are competitive. This is the nature of the beast in a services oriented organization. IBM is in a constant state of re engineering itself by constantly evolving its processes and goals in response to the market in order to meet it's customers needs.

Its been around a long time by making change a core foundation of its business model.
Nice place to work. Challenging and high-pressure environment.
Project Office Manager (Current Employee) –  IowaOctober 21, 2015
Nice place to work for new grads. Good opportunity to learn and to get new experience. Challenging and fast-changing envmt. Unfortunately, Work/Life balance, Compensation, and Job Security are below average.