The Electrical Engineer role is involved in research, design, and implementation of the electrical controls and power of a project. Personnel in this role must communicate effectively with other engineers, designers, and clients in order for the results to be integrated into the whole of the project or the existing client facility. This role is often combined with the role of a programmer, and may also be combined with the role of project manager.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Research and analyze the client design requests, specifications, or other data to determine project feasibility and cost.
- Complete Engineering Project Analysis including preliminary design, calculation specifications, and cost for all equipment selection.
- Make certain the electrical design of the project is electrically safe to install and safe to run.
- Make certain that the controls will function properly in the most efficient manner to make the project happen.
- Troubleshoot existing engineering projects and propose alternative solutions.
- Confer with other engineers to implement operating procedures, resolve technical problems, and provide information especially in regards to defining what devices are being used and what electrical connections need to be made to make the design work.
Specifications & Engineering Principals:
- Design the Electrical Installation package/scope of work and drawings, including controls and power, from the concept or requirements of the client.
- Prepare or direct designers in preparing drawing packages, and review the construction package for completeness and accuracy.
- Design panels including the actual design, obtain quotes, purchase the panel, and checkout the panel.
- Guide contractors to ensure proper and safe installation and that the guidelines set forth by the client are met for the install.
- Inspect completed installations and observe the operations to ensure conformance to design and equipment specifications and compliance with all operational and safety standards.
- Review development plans for compliance with engineering design, performance specifications, and legal/code guidelines.
- Interact with the purchasing department and vendors on the specifications for purchase of materials and equipment.
- Make visits to clients’ sites for both scope research and to supervise the electrical start up of the project.
- Conduct the electrical walk thru with contractors.
- Always keep the client’s interest as the key directive in the project design, by maintaining openness to client requests and discussing all possible alternatives.
- Keep the client informed, or assist the project manager in keeping the client informed of all aspects of the project.
Written & Oral Communications:
- Work with others, including presenting information or the concept to the CAD department.
- Maintain open communications with the programmers, mechanical engineers on the project, and most importantly the client.
- Confer with other engineers to integrate the electrical/mechanical and programming designs.
- Verbal and written communication must be in a clear and professional manner to aid in project success.
- Must be able to communicate with other team members and with the client to determine project requirements and to ask questions when needed.
- Present all project information to the project manager in a timely and professional manner.
- Communicate with clerical and design departments for assistance with document and drawing creation/processing.
Computer and Technical Skills:
- Knowledgeable about computer software including Microsoft Office programs, Internet/email, online resources, or other software as appropriate. Knoweldgeable on Engineering and design software including Microstation or AutoCAD and other as appropriate.
Indeed - 2 years ago
The International Code Council, a membership association dedicated to building safety and fire prevention, develops the codes used to...