IBEW Employee Reviews

productive/fastpace
CW/Construction Wireman (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAAugust 5, 2015
Our day started at 5-7am depending on time change. Expected a 8-10 hour shift unless weather was not good. management was good understanding when it came to family. Hardest part of job being out in over 100 degree heat. However company made sure we were hydrated and well taken care of. I enjoyed every part of this job. Good pay and something I really enjoyed doing.
Cons
Never know how long the job was going to last it could be one week or more.
Good jobs, great benefits
Inside Wireman Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 3, 2015
schooling is great through apprenticeship, great benefits, union reps not friendly though and they take advantage of there members, kicked out for illegal reasons.
IBEW 130
Licensed Apprentice Electrician (Current Employee) –  3200 ridgelake st MetairieJuly 16, 2015
wonderful protected rights, respectable trade safe living and Art of learning electrical
they provide training paid classes and apprenticeship program
Crazy work inviroment
Union Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 1, 2015
Tail board
drive to location
figure out where everyone is
line out grunts
set up work location
do line work
pack up
returne to show up
go home
Pros
lots of work
Cons
must speak spanish
IBEW-A Good Company to Work For
Safety Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 26, 2015
As a safety specialist, daily tasks included ensuring co-workers took necessary safety precautions. I was also responsible for ensuring the job site was a safe environment. Both management staff and co-workers were very professional. A very good company to work for.
IBEW
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 18, 2015
Worked at various job sites. Good apprenticeship program. I enjoyed the pay but not working in the elements. Work has slowed down the past couple years.
Highly skilled mechanic
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CAJune 2, 2015
The I.B.E.W. spends a lot of time and money to produce well rounded fully capable, component, and self sufficient wireman who's talents borderline engineers
Pros
The ability to provide anything needed in our industry
Cons
Some lose their ability to distinguish confidence from arrogance
Closely knit brotherhood
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 22, 2015
Our local union is a very cliquish group, if you are not in with the right people you, you do not stay on a job for very long. I was fortunate to get along with those people but I do not agree with their politics. It is for this reason I am seeking employment elsewhere, that and the fact that I am coming out of a relationship that ended badly and am trying to begin again elsewhere.
Pros
Steady work hours, set breaks
Cons
People trying to use you for their own gains
IBEW Electrical Union 716
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 12, 2015
A typical day was doing whatever work assignment was given to me whether it be working in a downtown highrise or on the ship channel in an industrial environment. The hardest part of the job was how physical being an electrician was and the danger of being electrocuted but it also gave me the necessary work experience needed to be an electrician. I met a lot of people in the electrical field and had to work with many different personalities but it was also one the the things I enjoyed about the job
Pros
Career
Cons
Lay offs and benefits not very good.
Electrical/Data tech
Electrician/Data Tech (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 8, 2015
I work alot on fiber optics everyday,bending conduit;I get along with my co workers very well. I enjoy every aspect of my job and like that everday is a learning day.
Excellent wage and benefits
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 8, 2015
The IBEW teaches you the skills needed to be offered a comfortable wage and excellent benefit package which includes a pension plan which is difficult to come by in these times. In a typical work day you will be accomplishing projects with fellow electricians you have a common bond with which gives you an added sense of team work. The hardest part of the job almost always seems to be meeting deadlines and coordinating with other trades,engineers and architects facing the same challenges, but the job always finds a way to get done.The most enjoyable part of the job is a satisfied customer and moving on to the next unique challenge.Thats what I will miss most about the IBEW but at the same time looking forward to a new and different atmosphere.
Great hands on experience that teaches valuable skills
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 16, 2015
Learning hands on while learning in class was very helpful during the apprenticeship as I am a hands on person. Learning in class and applying those theories at the workplace while you earn a living is a great way to understand and learn the trade. Jobs are always different with different sets of tasks that keep the day interesting.
I enjoy working for this company
Journeyman (Current Employee) –  RegionalFebruary 19, 2015
Great place to work. Physically demanding at times. Many educational tools made available if you are willing to put in the time.
A typical day can have you working inside or out in the elements Heavy lifting, up and down ladders, pulling wire or installing fixtures.
I am always learning as Electrical code changes and technology advances. I can truly say I enjoy my work.
Pros
great pay, good benefits, exciting jobs
great union to be part of
Electrical Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 19, 2015
Largest electrical union in the world. lots of stability, decent pay, and weekends of for the most part. pay depends on state you work in not company you work for.
Overall I have skill, knowledge and attitude
Member of IBEW Union (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 10, 2015
Sometimes the hardest part of the job is lifting, pulling, climbing, standing for long periods. From one extreme to the other, ex: great conditions with straight forward instructions, work is on schedule. Overall I have worked with great, knowledgeable professional people.
Pros
mobility
Cons
sometimes harsh conditions
good members, but real clicky like high school
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CAFebruary 2, 2015
I love the union, and cant thank them enough for the great training. but I do not like the fact a lot of it is like high school. you could be great at your job. but if you do not get along with someone they will lay you off and keep people who are awful at what they do.
great place with even greater perople
Journeyman Wireman (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 2, 2015
i need job stability and there just unable to provide that to me at this time !
you could not ask for better people and better work !
good hourly pay but no time off
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, OHJanuary 25, 2015
There is no paid time off. This is why I am looking for another job.
Electrical Work
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 18, 2015
Electrical work has been a good living and something I enjoyed.But my real passion is Mining and safety. I did a lot of safety wile being a electrician.
Pros
bending big pipe
learning through on the job training
Electrician (Current Employee) –  McPherson, KSJanuary 7, 2015
lots of hours when busy. no paid holidays. weekend work sometimes
benefits
Cons
family time

4.2