IBEW Employee Reviews

job duties
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV 89110April 26, 2017
On a normal day I could run conduit from 1/2" to 6", pull wire, terminate in panels and in the field, when I was a forman I would lay my guys out for the jobs that needed completed that day, order materials, keep time of jobs and of the workers.
Pros
GREAT MONEY AND BENEFITS
Cons
JOB SECURITY
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Flushing, NYApril 26, 2017
is a fast paced yet relaxing job. Friendly and well qualified individuals who know what they are doing. Also weekly safety meetings were required. The work place culture was geared on safety first and complaints were taking seriously and immediately addressed.
Excellent place to work with great benefits
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 25, 2017
Excellent place to work.
Great benefits working for this company.
Was able to adjust to different behaviors and cultures.
Learned a lot, lead a few employees to success
Professional work place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYApril 25, 2017
The job itself was great. The members and retirees were the best. Management could learn how to manage better to keep their employees satisfied. Management could use a compassion class.
Pros
Health care was paid for and offered a HRA
Cons
Micro-management, no room for personal ideas
great training and wages
Journeyman, Inside Wireman Electrician (Current Employee) –  West Frankfort, ILApril 20, 2017
great training, great wage potential, workplace is generally very professional and workdays can be very rigorous, depending on what type of work environment you are in on any particular job.
Pros
great training
Cons
work is not steady
Hard to balance life and work
Substation Technician Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Edmore, MIApril 20, 2017
Great benefits especially retirement but travel a lot. Sometimes out of state. Can be long work weeks and a lot of hotel living. Job can be quite dangerous as well.
Stable and Productive
Senior Administrator (Current Employee) –  East Windsor, NJApril 19, 2017
My job entails various tasks. Some of my duties include payroll, data entry, processing insurance claims, answering phone and Statewide mailings. I am the staff's representative for if and when a problem arises in the office. My day can vary from responding to emails all day or processing many grievances. One thing that is great about my job is, no day is the same! I love the challenges and diversity!
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits. Love what I do.
Cons
I do not get to interact with different people.
great place to work
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVApril 17, 2017
The best decision I ever made was joking the Ibew. They will take people who know little to nothing about the trade and train them both in the classroom and on the job.
Pros
pay benefits
Cons
being away from home
Great environment to work.
Journeyman Wireman (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 13, 2017
Great environment to work. Great benefits. Great pay. I like the professional job sites and an emphasis on safety. I like that I can trust the person working next to me.
Pros
Great pay and benefits.
Cons
Work is not consistent.
a good temp service, with medical benifits
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 12, 2017
great temp service with benefits, and trainings, I recommend it if you are younger, great pension, training, jobs when they have , and they do find jobs, I give them a +
Good pay and benefits
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 11, 2017
I learned a lot and was paid well while learning. My co-workers were from all walks of life. Very diverse. I also enjoyed working in a multitude of different places in the industry, commercial, industrial and residential
Pros
Good blue collar people
Good career for some
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 4, 2017
There were days where I genuinely enjoyed the job, however in my case they were few and far between. I think that the apprentice \ journeyman aspect of the position was fine but in many cases the journeyman that you were assigned did not want to teach you but wanted you to "just know". This was really frustrating because you could tell that they didn't want you there and that you were just dead weight to them.
Pros
Great Pay and Benefits
Cons
Lot of Travel \ Sometimes you get stuck with someone who doesn't want to teach.
spent to much time out of work
Commercial Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA 19130April 3, 2017
The union is great if you are okay with not working all the time. I found I was out of work more than I worked my last 4 years while in the union. This is the reason I left the union.
Pros
benefits are great
Cons
lack of work
great pay, variety of different employers
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAMarch 29, 2017
A typical day at work will be electrical. Working with many different people, you get to know a large number of people. I have learned many electrical aspects of my job during my time. I have also had OSHA training and safety training. The hardest part of the job is being laid-off. The most enjoyable is learning new things and meeting new people.
challenging and fun career path
ELECTRICAL APPRENTICE (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 27, 2017
great union to join if interested in traveling and learning hands on about quality electrical construction and maintenance. low apprenticeship pay in Georgia but high journeyman scale.
Great apprenticeship program
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 26, 2017
The IBEW has a great apprenticeship program but the work was not guaranteed and I was laid off a few times. The union isn't what it used to be and I found it to be nothing more than a left wing propaganda machine.
Pros
Good pay/great apprenticeship
Cons
work is not dependable
great training and atmosphere
Construction Wireman (Former Employee) –  Hanover, PAMarch 22, 2017
Working for a union was the best thing I ever decided to do. The pay was great, I got loads of training. Found a job with a contractor in the union. Learned something new every day. Unfortunately it can be a long wait between jobs.
Pros
training, pay, hours
Cons
lack of work
This is an excellent place for young people to start a career.
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 20, 2017
The learning potential is high with this organization, but it is not designed for older or more established workers. The local union seems to not have a very good set up for the apprentices but does seem to work well for the Journeyman.
Great
Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 20, 2017
The IBEW union 716 was a great organization to start out as, free schooling and free benefits for you and your whole family. Don't ever have to worry about not having a job
what i learnd
IBEW Inside Journeyman (Current Employee) –  Warren, OHMarch 16, 2017
I learned how to work with electricity How to bend conduit ran circuits and be a good leader as a foreman. They provided a very intense apprenticeship