ICF International

ICF International Employee Reviews

a good place to work for work experience while attending college
Operations center research agent (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAJanuary 31, 2016
A good place to work if you need experience and money while attending college and getting back on your feet. I would not consider this a place for permanent or long term employment.
Pros
15 min breaks every 2 hours
Cons
management is aloof not very sociable
Sky's the Limit
Vice President (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 26, 2016
I spent 15 years at ICF in total. I left and came back...and left again. If you are willing to work hard, you produce great results, and you're willing to take some chances, you can go far here. I and many, many people I worked with, built careers here with a lot of advancement over time. I could name 20 people who started out near the bottom and worked their way up to VP. ICF is known for having really smart people, so there is stiff competition to get choice assignments and stand out in the crowd. Salary increases are not always large, but if you stay the course and continue to deliver, you'll get promoted and the money will eventually follow. Plus, there are several focus areas and a ton of projects, so if you don't ask permission too much and just take on as much as you can handle, you can learn a whole lot about your favorite subject and management in general.
0 Advancement and the current management (3 of 4) have been burned
Call center Agent (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 17, 2016
The Staff is for the most part amazing, it's a college or in between job while looking for something better. The Project deadlines are never met and the boss is always pushing for more to be done.
Pros
Free Coffee and Tea, make your own schedual, Swing Shift
Cons
Short Breaks, impossible deadlines, and punished/reworded for what can only be called random luck
Good place to work with open schedule.
Bilingual Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 8, 2016
ICF is a good company located in downtown Seattle, I enjoy their call center with variety of people from different skills.

We conduct interviews to people on surveys on behalf of Washington State Department of Health Services.
Pros
Seattle Downtown area
Cons
No benefits.
Run for the hills
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 30, 2015
Working in the accounting department of ICF has been insanely awful. Management seemingly has no idea what they want and care very little for employees under Director level. They continue to lie and let employees go saying that they need to downsize for financial reasons and yet will create new Director positions shortly afterwards. There is no advancement at all. They would rather hire outside the company than promote the people within. Raises are horrible. Fear and intimidation are used to "encourage" employees to do their jobs and more by my current manager. Despite eight people leaving because of her, they continue to keep a no nothing manager on board who has no government contracting experience who has managed to overwhelm and anger everyone she encounters.
Pros
Pay isn't bad
Cons
Management, benefits, no advancements, job security, work life, co-workers
Associate
Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 11, 2015
A tough place to work because workload exceeds staffing. The company is more interested in their profit than investing and retaining junior staffers. Management extends staff across too many projects and is focused on constant contract expansion and new contracts. Work-life balance is nonexistent.
Independent Work
Energy Efficiency Technician (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 7, 2015
I throughly enjoyed this job it required you to be self starter which I loved. The day went by quickly and I worked with a really nice group of guys.
Pros
Independent work
Cons
lots of travel
Nothing to review
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 21, 2015
Scanned documents to a CD, temporary position working for the Road Home Program after Katrina

Watched a lot of people come in at the lowest point in their lives.
Great as a first job
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 2, 2015
Great job in either early or mid to late career. Management varies across the company. I have gained some decent project and client management skills. Given that the company is so large, each department/ team can feel somewhat siloed, which challenges collaboration and innovation. I have enjoyed some of the opportunities I gained to hone some new skills, take initiative, however, those opportunities can be few and far in between at times.
Pros
some flexibility with working from home
Cons
advancement/ room for growth/ lower consulting pay scale
What I know about the company
Senior System Analyst/Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 16, 2015
I worked mostly in the programming area and not in the position to review the company. I was not a full employee but a contractor. However, their full time employees have a very good review and impression of the company
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Not Sure
It's what you make it
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fairfax,September 28, 2015
Decent company; pay was poor but some decent folks and good corporate infrastructure. Work was boring but it's what you make it.
ICF International is a good company to work for.
Overarching Sr. UI/UX Analyst and Designer (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDSeptember 9, 2015
ICF International is a good company to work for. I had a long standing relationship with this company working for different contracts and with different managers.
Productive Work Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 25, 2015
I worked for ICF as a Federal Contractor. My contract was with the Regional Director of HHS. I performed a wide variety of administrative duties such as travel arrangements, maintaining the daily calendar, scheduling meetings and lunches for all staff. The most enjoyable part of my job was coming into a work environment where all of the staff were hard-working, driven, and just really great to be around. I really enjoyed my job here.
Productive workplace that gives you freedom
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 18, 2015
ICF International is a company that allows their workers to grow in their position while also learning the field that they are working in. ICF will provide you with plenty of resources to help you with your job and then eventually allow you to take over and work on the project for yourself. The culture is very DIY, where co-workers can make their own hours (as long as they are not absurd) and they give you a task and entrust you with finishing that task in a reasonable time. There is a lot of trust within this company, very rarely do you have someone bothering you about where something is, I have never felt like I have had my co-workers breathing down my neck expecting my work to be done. The company culture is strong and very positive.
Pros
Make own hours (depending on the job), plenty of available resources to help with your job
Cons
As a contractor a job may only last so long until your services are no longer needed
Consulting Company
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 28, 2015
Your job security can be scary because your career opportunities depend on what contracts you get. I enjoyed the flexibility of the company and consulting nature of the business.
Pros
pay, flexibility
Cons
job security
Poor managment
Analyst (Current Employee) –  AtlantaJuly 27, 2015
The Management staff is untrained and unskilled, Unfair hiring process, Poor work conditions, no advancement and Stressful
Professional Atmosphere
Senior Associate/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 22, 2015
The culture and employee relations are very professional. To move up in the company you have to be a bit of an over achiever; spending long hours on project work.
Job very easy
Research‭ ‬Technician/Processor (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAJuly 15, 2015
ICF, is more of a job for students just coming out if high school. It is a great place to work overall and has great paychecks, but mire of a young environment.
Opportunity to work across many projects, little advancement
Strategic Communications Associate (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 2, 2015
Lower pay than it's competitors but a good place to start your career to gain experience. Difficult to advance without putting in many years. Hard working peers, but little support from top management and heads of divisions. The company's focus on acquiring new companies each year seems to detract from how much they put into their existing team.
Software Test Lead, QA Manager, Business Analyst
HHS Office of the Director, Bethesda (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDJuly 2, 2015
A typical day at work involved interacting with clients, management, and co-workers. We had daily scrum meetings, planning meetings, client demos at the end of each three week sprint, sprint reviews, lessons learned, and backlog reviews prior to each sprint.
Recently trained in Visual Studio 2013 Premium. The class was Introduction to coded UI testing with Visual Studio 2013.
The hardest part was so many simultaneous demands on the part of management, where we had to work continuously plus weekends without any recognition. The most enjoyable part was that the team worked very well together.
Pros
Ability to telecommute
Cons
Dental Benefits were not as good as my previous company