ICF International Employee Reviews

Sky's the Limit
Vice President (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 26, 2016
I spent 15 years at ICF in total. I left and came back...and left again. If you are willing to work hard, you produce great results, and you're willing to take some chances, you can go far here. I and many, many people I worked with, built careers here with a lot of advancement over time. I could name 20 people who started out near the bottom and worked their way up to VP. ICF is known for having really smart people, so there is stiff competition to get choice assignments and stand out in the crowd. Salary increases are not always large, but if you stay the course and continue to deliver, you'll get promoted and the money will eventually follow. Plus, there are several focus areas and a ton of projects, so if you don't ask permission too much and just take on as much as you can handle, you can learn a whole lot about your favorite subject and management in general.
Run for the hills
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 30, 2015
Working in the accounting department of ICF has been insanely awful. Management seemingly has no idea what they want and care very little for employees under Director level. They continue to lie and let employees go saying that they need to downsize for financial reasons and yet will create new Director positions shortly afterwards. There is no advancement at all. They would rather hire outside the company than promote the people within. Raises are horrible. Fear and intimidation are used to "encourage" employees to do their jobs and more by my current manager. Despite eight people leaving because of her, they continue to keep a no nothing manager on board who has no government contracting experience who has managed to overwhelm and anger everyone she encounters.
Pros
Pay isn't bad
Cons
Management, benefits, no advancements, job security, work life, co-workers
Employees Expendable, Top Heavy, Bad Managers
Senior Marketing Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 28, 2016
Very low annual pay increases (on average 1.5%). Autonomous work culture. Only great situation if you are at Principal or VP level...everyone else do not get pay raises.
Pros
Great telecommuting tossibilities (depending on work group)
Cons
Low Pay, Extremely Low Raises, Very Rare Low Bonus Structure, Slow Promotion, Poor, expensive healthcare plans
Good place to work with open schedule.
Bilingual Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 8, 2016
ICF is a good company located in downtown Seattle, I enjoy their call center with variety of people from different skills.

We conduct interviews to people on surveys on behalf of Washington State Department of Health Services.
Pros
Seattle Downtown area
Cons
No benefits.
Productive and energetic office environment
Data Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 14, 2016
This was one of the greatest experiences of my work life. The managers as well as the executives believe in hard work and celebrating the earned success of hard working team. I learned a lot of professional work culture and how to effectively get things done without supervision but still meeting deadlines.
Pros
Team lunch, meetings, and flexibility of hours
Professional and friendly work environment
Administrative Assistant to the VP (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 9, 2016
ICF recently went through a rebranding. Their staff is dedicated and hard working. People stay at ICF long term. I was part time and did not seek a full time opportunity there since the commute was too far for me. I think the management is excellent. Unfortunately my boss was laid off and my position therefore was no longer needed. I enjoyed my time while I was there and think highly of the human resources staff.
Pros
High level and productive executives
Cons
Traffic around this location is tough. They do not have many opportunities for advancement.
Nepotism Infused Work Place
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VASeptember 13, 2016
Working for this company one may feel like they are not part of the machine that keeps this company going. The culture within the company is "do as you're told and do not go against the grain." Entering work on a daily basis becomes a chore - basically coming to work to earn a paycheck and nothing more. Upper management consist of people who previously served in the military together and their attitude is to say "yes" to the site manager no matter what. Even though there is constant descension from the management team the workers on the floor make things better. There is no growth opportunity beyond team lead and unfortunately the pay has been cut drastically for any person the management team selects. If you are not a person to go with the flow and give a constant yes your time will be limited.
Pros
Locality, Decent hours, Decent Pay
Cons
Petty coaching tactics, Snitch culture, Management Team with NO experience in the field they work in
Software Test Lead, QA Manager, Business Analyst
HHS Office of the Director, Bethesda (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDJuly 2, 2015
A typical day at work involved interacting with clients, management, and co-workers. We had daily scrum meetings, planning meetings, client demos at the end of each three week sprint, sprint reviews, lessons learned, and backlog reviews prior to each sprint.
Recently trained in Visual Studio 2013 Premium. The class was Introduction to coded UI testing with Visual Studio 2013.
The hardest part was so many simultaneous demands on the part of management, where we had to work continuously plus weekends without any recognition. The most enjoyable part was that the team worked very well together.
Pros
Ability to telecommute
Cons
Dental Benefits were not as good as my previous company
Technical and Friendly Work Environment
Technical Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 8, 2016
ICF International is a contracting company that deals primarily with the federal government. Everyone is very friendly at ICF and willing to help. Overall ICF has a wonderful office environment and is very relaxed; however because ICF is a federal contracting company the majority of an employees time is not spent at ICF (which is a great place to work with nice people) but at federal client sites. The atmosphere that an employee ends up in depends on the project they are on and the feeling of the client site.
Pros
Excellent employees, Managers who really care for their people, hands on training
Cons
All positions are for federal contractor, employees are stuck offsite in hostile client situtations
Not a great place to work.
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAJune 10, 2016
Reading other reviews of this company indicate to me that it depends on what part of the country you work in as to whether it's a good place to work. In Martinsville, VA it was a rotten place to work. Management treated employees with very little respect, there were few advancement opportunities, and pay raises depended on who you knew and not what you knew. (it took me 4 1/2 years to get a pay raise of $1.00).You had to constantly be worried about being fired for insignificant reasons. It was a stressful place to work.

There was a different set of rules and regulations for the Martinsville call center compared to the rest of the company. We got no holiday pay and only 1.54 hours of PTO time per month. Your schedule could be changed without notification or concern for how it might affect you. The work enviroment was decidedly hostile. Leaving this company was the best thing that could have happened to me.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Management was hostile and did unethical things, few opportunites to advance and having senority or a degee meant nothing.
Horrible
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  MarylandMay 26, 2016
The worst place to work for. They do not value there employees at all. The pay is horrible. The do not offer pay raises but give you new titles and expect for you to be content and do it for the low pay. The supervisors are horrible!! There was only one decent sup in there. They don't know what they are doing. When you ask questions they make stuff up and when you show them they are wrong they still expect you to listen and do what they say. They contradict there selves a lot. Very hostile work environment. No benefits of perks of working with them. They constantly put you down. You can be an excellent performer and they will look you in your face and say. Now you need to perform higher. They recently had / training classes of 12 ppl and out of those two training classes there is probably 4 ppl still employed. I've never worked in a office were everyone hates the job and the managers. They don't allow u to speak to fellow colleagues. If they see you are getting close they separate you. You are not allowed to talk. I honestly could keep going on but I would be here for days.
Horrible and no training
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAApril 8, 2016
The worst place I have worked in my entire life. No organization, no training and most of the Supervisors dont know anything either. Typical day starts totally unorganized. Co-workers were good people but its the environment. The hardest part is no training and they expect for you to do YOUR JOB. They just started a child support call center with a contract for the State of Maryland and again THEY DONT KNOW ANYTHING so how can you train when you dont know yourself and the Supervisors have the audacity to coach you when again they are totally worthless. They do not offer holiday pay at all. The lied in the interview. It is no future there so I quit. I was miserable
Pros
Cons
the whole situation
Excellent Work/Training Environment!
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 14, 2016
ICF International provided an environment that promoted both professional and personal growth. Through ICF's mentor program, I was able to learn skills outside of my scope of work. This program was a major component in developing skills that resulted in promotions and pay increases.
Pros
Excellence training opportunities, career development, personal growth, and lasting professional relationships
Cons
Contract work does not provide job security.
Easy job with horrible management
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VASeptember 19, 2016
I worked full time hours for several months and was never offered full time benefits such as health insurance. There is a huge lack of communication between management and employees. I witnessed managers and supervisors disrespect and talk down to their employees and nothing was done about it.
Pros
Pay is a little more than minimum wage
Cons
Very slim chance of gaining benefits
What I know about the company
Senior System Analyst/Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 16, 2015
I worked mostly in the programming area and not in the position to review the company. I was not a full employee but a contractor. However, their full time employees have a very good review and impression of the company
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Not Sure
You'll be underpaid and undervalued
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 12, 2016
Have you seen Office Space? It's kind of like that. You better get your billable hours in, but not too many to the same charge code, or you'll be hearing from someone... During the 2013 Government Shutdown, they made their employees use vacation and unpaid leave if they couldn't find work (which was most of us). Pretty much sums it up. Basically, all they care about is how billable you are, so there's absolutely zero office culture (until happy hour when people would bond over how awful it was), and their year-end raises were laughable. DO NOT WORK HERE if you can help it.
Pros
free coffee, not long hours
Cons
low pay, no advancement, zero culture
Diverse and exceptional
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 18, 2016
ICF is an industry leader in consulting. ICF provides excellent employee benefits and exciting job opportunities. With offices all over the world, ICF positions itself to be a global leader in consulting.
Pros
great work environment, great pay, awesome benefits
Cons
on-call positions not eligible for benefits, large corporate structure can be overwhelming for some employees.
Walk Away...no...RUN Away
Overworked/Underpaid Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAMay 25, 2016
Every year, they lay off a large number of employees because the company is "over budget". How does this happen? You go in everyday worried if you will make it. Every time you miss a goal or make a minor mistake, they overreact and remind you of the previous "D-Day". Management overreacts to everything and they fire folks for no rhyme and reason and then run and hire temps. If you want piece of mind, don't come here. I've worked at a lot of places and never seen a place Like this.
Good work and life balance
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 22, 2016
-Provide good training
-Nice Supervisors
-Nice work environment
-Work load balance is good
-Not enough salary
-You can ask for work from home after you complete one year at ICF but you cannot ask for Monday and Friday
-No more opportunities to move ahead
Pros
Good to start up
Cons
You won' get telework on Monday and Fridat
ICF offers career advancement and growth
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 12, 2016
I began my career at ICF 5 years ago and was an employee referral. The company has grown by about 1500 employees since I began and has still maintained a strong culture.

I was hired as a senior individual contributor and have been promoted several times in the last 5 years.
Pros
Work/Life Balance + Socially responsible work

2.9