ICF International Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent Work/Training Environment!
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 14, 2016
ICF International provided an environment that promoted both professional and personal growth. Through ICF's mentor program, I was able to learn skills outside of my scope of work. This program was a major component in developing skills that resulted in promotions and pay increases.
Pros
Excellence training opportunities, career development, personal growth, and lasting professional relationships
Cons
Contract work does not provide job security.
Walk Away...no...RUN Away
Overworked/Underpaid Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAMay 25, 2016
Every year, they lay off a large number of employees because the company is "over budget". How does this happen? You go in everyday worried if you will make it. Every time you miss a goal or make a minor mistake, they overreact and remind you of the previous "D-Day". Management overreacts to everything and they fire folks for no rhyme and reason and then run and hire temps. If you want piece of mind, don't come here. I've worked at a lot of places and never seen a place Like this.
Technical and Friendly Work Environment
Technical Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 8, 2016
ICF International is a contracting company that deals primarily with the federal government. Everyone is very friendly at ICF and willing to help. Overall ICF has a wonderful office environment and is very relaxed; however because ICF is a federal contracting company the majority of an employees time is not spent at ICF (which is a great place to work with nice people) but at federal client sites. The atmosphere that an employee ends up in depends on the project they are on and the feeling of the client site.
Pros
Excellent employees, Managers who really care for their people, hands on training
Cons
All positions are for federal contractor, employees are stuck offsite in hostile client situtations
ICF offers career advancement and growth
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 12, 2016
I began my career at ICF 5 years ago and was an employee referral. The company has grown by about 1500 employees since I began and has still maintained a strong culture.

I was hired as a senior individual contributor and have been promoted several times in the last 5 years.
Pros
Work/Life Balance + Socially responsible work
You'll be underpaid and undervalued
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 12, 2016
Have you seen Office Space? It's kind of like that. You better get your billable hours in, but not too many to the same charge code, or you'll be hearing from someone... During the 2013 Government Shutdown, they made their employees use vacation and unpaid leave if they couldn't find work (which was most of us). Pretty much sums it up. Basically, all they care about is how billable you are, so there's absolutely zero office culture (until happy hour when people would bond over how awful it was), and their year-end raises were laughable. DO NOT WORK HERE if you can help it.
Pros
free coffee, not long hours
Cons
low pay, no advancement, zero culture
Horrible and no training
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAApril 8, 2016
The worst place I have worked in my entire life. No organization, no training and most of the Supervisors dont know anything either. Typical day starts totally unorganized. Co-workers were good people but its the environment. The hardest part is no training and they expect for you to do YOUR JOB. They just started a child support call center with a contract for the State of Maryland and again THEY DONT KNOW ANYTHING so how can you train when you dont know yourself and the Supervisors have the audacity to coach you when again they are totally worthless. They do not offer holiday pay at all. The lied in the interview. It is no future there so I quit. I was miserable
Pros
Cons
the whole situation
Employees Expendable, Top Heavy, Bad Managers
Senior Marketing Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 28, 2016
Very low annual pay increases (on average 1.5%). Autonomous work culture. Only great situation if you are at Principal or VP level...everyone else do not get pay raises.
Pros
Great telecommuting tossibilities (depending on work group)
Cons
Low Pay, Extremely Low Raises, Very Rare Low Bonus Structure, Slow Promotion, Poor, expensive healthcare plans
Professional and friendly work environment
Administrative Assistant to the VP (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 9, 2016
ICF recently went through a rebranding. Their staff is dedicated and hard working. People stay at ICF long term. I was part time and did not seek a full time opportunity there since the commute was too far for me. I think the management is excellent. Unfortunately my boss was laid off and my position therefore was no longer needed. I enjoyed my time while I was there and think highly of the human resources staff.
Pros
High level and productive executives
Cons
Traffic around this location is tough. They do not have many opportunities for advancement.
Fun place to work with lots of variety and opportunity.
Biologist/Consultant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 1, 2016
It's a great place to work. There is a lot of opportunity for professional expansion and advancement. As with any consulting, there is definitely independence. The most enjoyable part of the job is the variety. Days are never the same.
Productive and energetic office environment
Data Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 14, 2016
This was one of the greatest experiences of my work life. The managers as well as the executives believe in hard work and celebrating the earned success of hard working team. I learned a lot of professional work culture and how to effectively get things done without supervision but still meeting deadlines.
Pros
Team lunch, meetings, and flexibility of hours
Interesting work but Energy Advisory Solutions should invest in employee growth
Associate, Energy Advisory & Solutions (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 17, 2016
1. Great coworkers
2. Demanding schedule
3. Managers need to be sensitive to employee needs
4. Lack of guidance
5. Poor communication from managers
Cons
Transit benefits
Great Place to Work
Deputy Project Director/Manager (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDJune 7, 2016
Great place to work with good culture, smart people, strong passion. They also allow me to work from home. Unfortunately, they are too business-oriented and do not adequately support their staff with good benefits and salary increases.
Overworked and underpaid
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 26, 2016
They are so busy buying other companies, they are hemorrhaging money. They don't fill vacant positions and expect other employees to work 7 days per week to fill the gap. Extremely low pay and very little advancement potential. They have no loyalty towards current employees and will replace you with someone who will take less money, if they replace you at all.
Pros
Cons
Overworked and Underpaid
Quick but helpful
ICF International Operations Center Agent (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTJune 3, 2016
My position was different from any prior experience in customer service or any related field but valuable. Good working environment but the office I was working at closed down on short notice.
Opportunities
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAAugust 16, 2016
In the beginning of my career with ICF I thought it was a wonderful company, there is a a lot of room for advancement and learning of new systems and projects. I have learned so much working for ICF international.
ICF Work Experience Review
Internal Consulting Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 26, 2016
The company has many different groups. Your work experience here is very much depend on the team you are involved with. In general, there is a good wok/life balance but not enough inspiring work. The management team is not strong either.
Not a great place to work.
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAJune 10, 2016
Reading other reviews of this company indicate to me that it depends on what part of the country you work in as to whether it's a good place to work. In Martinsville, VA it was a rotten place to work. Management treated employees with very little respect, there were few advancement opportunities, and pay raises depended on who you knew and not what you knew. (it took me 4 1/2 years to get a pay raise of $1.00).You had to constantly be worried about being fired for insignificant reasons. It was a stressful place to work.

There was a different set of rules and regulations for the Martinsville call center compared to the rest of the company. We got no holiday pay and only 1.54 hours of PTO time per month. Your schedule could be changed without notification or concern for how it might affect you. The work enviroment was decidedly hostile. Leaving this company was the best thing that could have happened to me.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Management was hostile and did unethical things, few opportunites to advance and having senority or a degee meant nothing.
0 Advancement and the current management (3 of 4) have been burned
Call center Agent (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 17, 2016
The Staff is for the most part amazing, it's a college or in between job while looking for something better. The Project deadlines are never met and the boss is always pushing for more to be done.
Pros
Free Coffee and Tea, make your own schedual, Swing Shift
Cons
Short Breaks, impossible deadlines, and punished/reworded for what can only be called random luck
Sr Disaster Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 6, 2016
Senior management attention and leadership is outstanding. Great benefits, co-workers, working environment. Terrific opportunities to work on variety of projects and locations.
Sky's the Limit
Vice President (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 26, 2016
I spent 15 years at ICF in total. I left and came back...and left again. If you are willing to work hard, you produce great results, and you're willing to take some chances, you can go far here. I and many, many people I worked with, built careers here with a lot of advancement over time. I could name 20 people who started out near the bottom and worked their way up to VP. ICF is known for having really smart people, so there is stiff competition to get choice assignments and stand out in the crowd. Salary increases are not always large, but if you stay the course and continue to deliver, you'll get promoted and the money will eventually follow. Plus, there are several focus areas and a ton of projects, so if you don't ask permission too much and just take on as much as you can handle, you can learn a whole lot about your favorite subject and management in general.

2.6