ICF International

ICF International Employee Reviews

Ok contract/temp work
data collector/field interviewer (Former Employee) –  Calverton, MDJanuary 2, 2013
Worked as a data collector/field interviewer for ICF on a study for six months. I built up my resume with a lot of skills, but the compensation is not even double minimum wage, and the hours are not reliable--knew this going into the job though, typically work 30 hours a week. Policy team provided simple support, at best--was given a lot of "oh i don't know about that situation" answers.

sort of a "do the job and don't think too hard or ask a question/question us" mindset, which could be annoying for those with any college education who have critical thinking skills.
Pros
timely reimbursements, supervisor was great, telecommute/set your own schedule
Cons
condescension, unanswered questions at times
poor management, poor compensation, no growth, bad morale
ICS (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAJuly 9, 2014
I thought there would be changes with new management and supervisors; promises were made to value and appreciate employees, hard quality work, and consistently high productivity and have yet to be fulfilled; employees are consistently expected to do more with less; and morale is at an all-time low, as is compensation. This is the most unprofessional place I have ever worked and the rumors of lost contracts due to an increasingly poor reputation for this particular call center and the possibility of closing seem to be true as more and more employees are "laid off," "suspended (for blatantly false reasons)," and "hours are reduced due to lack of work." As fast as people are hired they quit in disgust when they realize that the promises made in the interview process are not kept.
Pros
my fellow co-workers
Cons
too many to list
Made and was apart of history.
Housing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 29, 2013
The Road Home Program was developed by the Governor of Louisiana as a way to assist residents of New Orleans and surrounding towns with monetary awards that stemmed from Hurricane Katrina. I would consult with RHP clients to assess their situation to determine compensation. The management was very stricted and micro-managed. Also worked towards benchmarks and deadlines. Had to provide security for all the personel and sensitive information that was received. The hardest part of my job was the commute to New Orleans from Baton Rouge Monday through Friday. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the clients and providing them the help that was needed. Also meeting the other employees which whom were affected by the storm.
Pros
personal assistance to clients and the knowledge gained from the pilot program.
Cons
didn't last long enough.
Everyone was nice except for one supervisor.
Bilingual Operations Center Agent (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VASeptember 28, 2013
I learned a lot here got valuable customer service experience as well as some telemarketing data research skills that I would not of got anywhere else. The management was fine other than hardly seeing them on the floor, the supervisors are the only ones you see on a day to day basis. My co-workers were mostly not as serious to the job as I was and felt like I was never rewarded for my efforts. The hardest part of the job would have to be dealing with angry people but it felt rewarding when I was able to calm them down.
Pros
coffee, nice break area, cool building
Cons
takes too long for benefits, no background checks, some people smelled of marijuana
Software Test Lead, QA Manager, Business Analyst
HHS Office of the Director, Bethesda (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDJuly 2, 2015
A typical day at work involved interacting with clients, management, and co-workers. We had daily scrum meetings, planning meetings, client demos at the end of each three week sprint, sprint reviews, lessons learned, and backlog reviews prior to each sprint.
Recently trained in Visual Studio 2013 Premium. The class was Introduction to coded UI testing with Visual Studio 2013.
The hardest part was so many simultaneous demands on the part of management, where we had to work continuously plus weekends without any recognition. The most enjoyable part was that the team worked very well together.
Pros
Ability to telecommute
Cons
Dental Benefits were not as good as my previous company
I would not recommend
Operation Agent (Current Employee) –  Martinsville, VAJanuary 19, 2015
ICF used to be a well establish place to work. Since November of 2013 it has went down hill. There is no job security, no organization or structure, and no chance for advancement for most employees. They have cut hours and even we full time employees are only getting 15-28 hours a week. The benefits are far from good. The insurance is the bare minimum with ridiculous deductions and high monthly payments. You have to wait until you get hire full time before you get vacation pay and you have to wait a year after to get hired to accumulate a week of vacation. The ones who excel at the job have no been given any recognition or chance for advancement. I would not recommend ICF to anyone.
Pros
sit down call cent job
Cons
no structe or organization, no chance for advancement
If its the only offer you have do it
Consaultant (Former Employee) –  MDApril 24, 2012
Worked for this company for less than two months I got a 30 day review everything was fine and then without warning was let go for things I was unaware of that my manager never communicated.

In the meeting I explained my case and situation but was never given a full opportunity to do my job or understand the tasks I had to complete. They told me that I was not developing even though I had only been there less then two months.

Not the ideal situation considering that now I am looking for employment again with rent and a used car that I have to pay for somehow.

My experience was not the best but yours might be different
Pros
technology, hardware
Cons
management, evaluation
Very rewarding place to work where the "rubber meets the road".
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  Warner Robins, GA (Robins AFB)June 25, 2012
A typical day is spent supporting the Air Force's C-130 Tactical Airlift program critical parts location, budget decisions and customer interface. Management, both government and company, is topnotch. It has been a great opportunity to work with some of the smartest folks in the logistics arena. The work does not have a hard part when you truly enjoy what you are doing and the people I work with are truly the most enjoyable part of the job. Joy comes, however, when you are able to meet the need of the customer so they can complete their job/mission.
Pros
front line in keeping our c-130 fleet flying.
Cons
normal government red tape.
Not a place for professional development/advancement
Associate (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 17, 2014
ICF is a good company if you are hired on at a high level. For those who join ICF out of college, the ability to advance, both professionally and in terms of compensation or benefits, are limited. Culture and job work/life balance is also very dependent on whatever group, or "Line of Business" you are a part of. For example, the culture and opportunities for advancement in the Energy division may differ greatly from a group in the Health and Education division. For staff coming to ICF right out of college, the work experience and connections you will make here are very beneficial for about two years. Then I would suggest either going back to school or seeking employment opportunities elsewhere.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
healthcare, pto, compensation.
I rather sit at home than sit at work and do nothing....
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 2, 2012
Was at ICF for a short while and it was not a very enjoyable experience. Lack of communications from upper management, certain people were unfriendly and unwelcoming so made it a very hostile working environment. The work was unclear and ridiculous such as copying and pasting in excel, although it was sugarcoated as "a very beneficial learning process". Time isn't that flexible although people tell you it is but we're forced to count lunch hour. I've never been at a company that cares about that 30 minutes really, so it was strange. And we have to pay $20 per month for parking.
Pros
can't think of any
Cons
environment, people, parking...
Unorganized/Unprofessional
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAApril 18, 2012
A typical day at work at ICF is simplified in the following statement, "overworked and underpaid." Your schedule constantly changes without notice, no handbook (you are subject to penalty or termination for something you have no knowledge), absolutely NO communication through management. The most enjoyable part of the job is the end of the shift. Overall, the work isn't hard;however, you are treated less than a dog would be and they are highly unprofessional in all job-related acts. I wouldn't recommend this company to my best friend nor my worst enemy.
Pros
pays more than "some" call centers
Cons
unprofessional, no communication with management, no formal handbook, and the list goes on.
easy job if you don't mind getting cussed out on a daily basis
Survey research (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAApril 22, 2015
The job was fun as far as researching projects you were on and preparing rebuttals for when respondents asked questions such as "why are you calling me 8 times a day?" I learned how to persuade people to take surveys which is mentally challenging especially with non-cooperative people. Co-workers were great. There was a slim to none chance of getting any kind of benefits and weekends were mandantory, Progressing in the company is nearly impossible.
Pros
sitting down all day, great breaks, good pay
Cons
very rare chance of getting benefits, mandatory weekends
Was a fun and professional environment.
Customer Service/Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDNovember 18, 2014
On a typical day, filing was expected to be done by 9:00AM. It taught me that I had to manage my time do to the fast pace nature of the department I worked in. My coworkers worked very hard, so we all expected each other to work as a team, making sure deadlines were met. The hardest part of the job was doing multiple projects all at once. There would be times where we had deadlines to meet, while we were being trained on more new projects. The most enjoyable part is seeing everything become a success.
Never take someone's word. Make your own!
Data Entry/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  MartinsvilleMay 12, 2015
This is a fortune 500 company which has Great International locations and career opportunities and they are always looking to hire. The locations you able to go depend on you experience and general knowledge. The more documentation (diplomas and degrees) you can present the better. If you cannot present any of that - than like usually much, much hard work can land you a position you are looking for. Or the less favorable route....its all in who you know. Training is key right now as well as first and finals.
Pros
Managment
Cons
Managment
Strong executive leadership - choose your local leadership wisely.. not always so great!
HR (Current Employee) –  FairfaxMarch 23, 2012
Much of executive leadership team has grown up through the company as SMEs and operational staff, so they know the business well, but they can also be a bit incestual in their knowledge, practices and promotion of talent. Rapidly growing, highly acquisitory, but not great at leadership integration of acquired executives or consolidation of processes. Weak infrastructure for a company pushing to be $1B in revenue.
Pros
hq is accessible by vienna metro, staff is highly competent, leadership knows the business
Cons
non-transparent, closed leadership; rapid non-organic growth, immaturity of processes

Comment – May 7, 2012

I have been trying to get a job with ICF since I graduated from GMU. I am a Finance major and I would like an entry-level Financial Analyst position. I am aware of the competitiveness and I know that I have the capabilities to be successful in a Finance or Accounting position. I would appreciate it if you could give me any advice that would help me at least get a phone interview. Thank you so much.

Policy Wonks R Us
Senior Associate I (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 22, 2013
ICF is divinely wonkish. The U.S. Department's Energy Star program is one of many successful programs the company has worked with its clients to develop. The company also has a decent corporate culture that embraces a commitment to environmentally sustainable operations and the provision of high-quality client service. Work is varied and interesting, and staff is dedicated, highly skilled and effective.
Pros
provides decent employee compensation and benefits packages
Cons
some divisions place too much emphasis on quarterly utilization rates, triggering staff layoffs without input from employee supervisors
Great as a first job
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 2, 2015
Great job in either early or mid to late career. Management varies across the company. I have gained some decent project and client management skills. Given that the company is so large, each department/ team can feel somewhat siloed, which challenges collaboration and innovation. I have enjoyed some of the opportunities I gained to hone some new skills, take initiative, however, those opportunities can be few and far in between at times.
Pros
some flexibility with working from home
Cons
advancement/ room for growth/ lower consulting pay scale
I would not recommend
Writer/Editor (Former Employee) –  MarylandJanuary 25, 2015
They've gone through a lot of changes. They got rid of a lot of people around 2012-13 and started hiring a lot of young people.

I initially enjoyed my job, but things changed drastically. Instead of a conflict being handled professionally, I was mobbed (adult bullying). The supervisor turned everyone against me and HR was complicit. And, now, despite leaving the company, it has continued (now referred to as 'harassment by proxy' or community-based harassment).

I can't go into details but suffice it to say it's a nightmare.
Cons
management
A decent place but a bit high strung
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYJuly 21, 2014
You sit in your cubical making calls to strangers asking them to take the survey you've been assigned to. I learned how to keep my calm on the phone thanks to this job, as many people dislike being called and mistake you for a telemarketer, which is the hardest part of the job unless you're assigned to a more important survey, then you're required to meet a quota that's difficult to do when you keep calling faxes, cell phones, or people just don't want to take it.
ICF Providing IT Support to Social Security
Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore MDApril 28, 2012
I enjoyed my experience working at ICF. The day varied greatly as part of the job was a support role. Were their any issues or did we receive requests for assistance.

My co-workers were good. We got along well.

The management perspective was different in that I really had 2 supervisors. One supervisor was an SSA employee. He was the systems manager of the application that I supported. The other supervisor worked for ICF. I did new development for the ICF supervisor.
Pros
free parking
Cons
hours limited to those ssa core hours