ICF International

ICF International Employer Reviews

Equal opportunity
Research Technician/ Processor, CSR (Former Employee), Martinsville, VAFebruary 23, 2013
Pros: productive, equal
Cons: schedules
Very clean work place. On the job training. Lively and friendly work place.Really enjoyed the job overall.
if you're a developer, look elsewhere
developer (Current Employee), rockvilleFebruary 11, 2013
Pros: nice offices
Cons: everything else
The company simply doesn't know how to build a software development organization. They still do waterfall regardless of what they are currently calling it. There are about 3 times as many middle managers as they need. Developers are cogs to be plugged into the hot project of the moment regardless of what technology they actually know.
Good training
Transportation Planning (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAFebruary 10, 2013
Managers expect a lot of hours, but offer great training and experience.
Overall, a good company for which to work.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAFebruary 6, 2013
The employee experience varies depending on what group an employee falls within. My tasks are variable and sometimes challenging, which I enjoy. The company acknowledges employee strengths and provides opportunities for growth. However, my managers on my team do not always seek the highest quality outputs.

– February 26, 2013

Hi, I'm currently working on getting my MPH. Any advice on getting a research assistant position at the Rockville, MD location? Any advice would help. Thanks!

Made and was apart of history.
Housing Specialist (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: personal assistance to clients and the knowledge gained from the pilot program.
Cons: didn't last long enough.
The Road Home Program was developed by the Governor of Louisiana as a way to assist residents of New Orleans and surrounding towns with monetary awards that stemmed from Hurricane Katrina. I would consult with RHP clients to assess their situation to determine compensation. The management was very stricted and micro-managed. Also worked towards benchmarks – more... and deadlines. Had to provide security for all the personel and sensitive information that was received. The hardest part of my job was the commute to New Orleans from Baton Rouge Monday through Friday. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the clients and providing them the help that was needed. Also meeting the other employees which whom were affected by the storm. – less
Very poor management throughout California
Senior Manager (Former Employee), CaliforniaJanuary 27, 2013
Pros: small boutique consulting firm in california
Cons: small boutique consulting firm in california
ICF is a standard consulting company: manager heavy staff to bill clients at a high rate. ICF's manager level talent does not have the abilities, follow through, or skill set to manage anything even moderately complex. ICF has more Vice Presidents in California than offices (some offices have more than three VPs, none less than one). Titles like Principal – more... and Senior Manager are diluted because the title is applied liberally, resulting in an organization of titled managers doing scopes of work suited for a Junior Project Manager or Project Coordinator. ICF lacks any strategic planning beyond individual offices. They will not hire until the last possible minute, they place staff level employees on part time status, pay staff employees poorly, and other methods to reduce paying salary and employee costs. Then when they get a project, and half those employees are not available, it seems to surprise the VP's and Managers. The results: poor morale and work product from your staff employees during execution, lack of knowledge and no follow through from fellow Managers in execution, no concern from VPs until these problems negatively effect a revenue projection (not that they will know what to do even then, but they will have an opinion while they are not helping and complicating the issue).

Worst of all, when the client complains or has concerns: very little, if anything, is actually done to solve the problem. Just enough that the contract is maintained and lip service is given to the client to keep them happy.

If you believe a full services environmental company can be well run when all VP's, Managers, and Principals hold degrees in Biology and Botany, than join this company. If you want to do real work that is rewarding, go to a company with a more qualified regional management structure, good project level managers, staff that will not disappear at the first job offer, and an actual reputation in California for doing important and significant projects. Or go ahead and join ICF. They will keep chasing tiny projects, trying for larger projects they are under qualified and under staffed to support (losing those bids), and failing to create a culture of employee loyalty. So good luck. I watched over 12 managers in California leave the firm in my division alone in less than one year, some had been with the company for over a decade. 1/3 laid off, 2/3 resigned for a new position. I will also say ICF is unethical. Knowing that they had employee attrition coming up by resignation or termination, ICF still uses those employees qualifications in bidding work - so they are promising potential clients services they can not provide in the managers and employees they state are available to be dedicated to a project. Hope I save someone from a wrong turn in career.

I resigned, imagine what a terminated employee might say. – less
Organized, Laid back Company
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Martinsville, VAJanuary 26, 2013
A typical day is constantly persuading residents to take a survey. You have good days as well as bad ones. Overall I enjoy the job. My co-workers are the sweetest.
Ok contract/temp work
data collector/field interviewer (Former Employee), Calverton, MDJanuary 2, 2013
Pros: timely reimbursements, supervisor was great, telecommute/set your own schedule
Cons: condescension, unanswered questions at times
Worked as a data collector/field interviewer for ICF on a study for six months. I built up my resume with a lot of skills, but the compensation is not even double minimum wage, and the hours are not reliable--knew this going into the job though, typically work 30 hours a week. Policy team provided simple support, at best--was given a lot of "oh i don't – more... know about that situation" answers.

sort of a "do the job and don't think too hard or ask a question/question us" mindset, which could be annoying for those with any college education who have critical thinking skills. – less
You get free Starbucks coffee, instant oatmeal, and Pop-Tarts...
Senior Associate (Current Employee), Atlanta, GADecember 26, 2012
I became an ICF employee via a contract win. I have a kind manager.

The benefits and vacation/sick leave policy are great.
It's a Job - not brain surgery
Operations Center Agent (Current Employee), Martinsville, VADecember 6, 2012
Pros: growing company; currently unlimited ot is available
Cons: management can't give any time frame about ft/benefited positions becoming available, they also pretty much "force" you to work 2nd shift hours if you want to get any hours, daily communication is not the best - normally have to hear things from other employees, don't have your "own space" - have to share computers, headsets (which is very unsanitary)
I've met lots of really nice people. Upper management has informal meetings regularly and "strongly encourages" overtime while the work is plentiful. (Often says they don't want to make it "Mandatory" but will if it means that a deadline will be missed without it.) -Was told upon being hired that 1/2 the shift would be in processing and the other 1/2 – more... of the shift would be in "outbound" calling...been there over 3 months and have yet to be trained in anything other than outbound. SO many people that are working there are really overqualified for what they are doing, but with the highest unemployment rate in the state of VA, people are taking what they can get. The work isn't hard, but is just very monotonous sitting for such long periods of time and constantly getting rejected over the phone. The phone surveys are supposed to be very "clinical" in order to be "research" so any kind of friendly chats with the respondents are frowned upon.
20-30 people at a time are hired and trained and maybe only 10 of those end of staying b/c it's just not for everyone. Most people are hired as PT/Temp/On-call with promises of when full-time benefited positions become available, that they will fill those positions from within.
The NY office is closing, so that should mean more work coming through the Martinsville office. – less
One of the worst jobs I've ever had management very poor
Biological monitor (Former Employee), Redlands, CaNovember 14, 2012
Pros: asking for time off
Cons: too many to list
Redlands office : very poor management from leads, ofgice management, changed contract without notifying employee, limited hours without prior notice. Did not pay on time. Will never work for them again and would not suggest to other co workers.
NO upward mobility
Associate (Current Employee), Fairfax, VANovember 13, 2012
Overall, just a terrible company to work for. Raises have been non existent for employees over recent years. Forget about the company having the best interest of your career in mind, they will put you on whatever awful project has a seat to fill. The only good thing about this company was their leave policy which of course has been eliminated. Not much – more... to like about this place which is why myself and my coworkers are all looking for new jobs in this awful economy. – less
great place to work and learn new things.
financial specialist (Current Employee), Calverton, MDNovember 11, 2012
I track invoices daily, I help manage contracts with our subcontrators and consultants. I keep the contracts department and accounting department up-to-date with the contracts.
ICF Supports Telecommuting
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee), Calverton, MDOctober 5, 2012
Team work is key to being successful at ICF. ICF is progressive about supporting the efforts of causes such as the American Cancer Society and they encourage employees to volunteer.
Review of ICF International.
Telephone Surveyer (Former Employee), Plattsburgh, NYOctober 1, 2012
Pros: no free lunches
Cons: a 20 minute break every 2 hours.
This was an at ease kind of job. It was very simple. The people i worked with were very friendly.
Good company to work for
Data Entry Specialist/Condo Copy Team Lead (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAOctober 1, 2012
Pros: good company
Cons: wish job would have lasted longer
I was hired only for one project. Would have loved to been hired perm.
Enjoyable work experience, I do not hate getting up and going to work
Research Technician / Case manager (Current Employee), Martinsville, VASeptember 21, 2012
Pros: great work environment, room for advancement, a wealth of knowledge to be gained if you are willing to learn
Cons: benefits suck, inconsistent and undercommunicated policies.
I have been with this company for a little over a year. The company was brand new to our area, where jobs are scarce and very low paying. For them to bring their operations center to our area was like a gift from above. The pay is not exceptional, but higher than most places on our area. The benefits package, if you can call it that, is among the worst – more... that I have ever seen. I LOVE my job, the people that I work with and most of the management staff, there are always those few anywhere you go. I love the fact that accomplishments are recognized, not only by immediate supervisors, but also senior management. I am impressed in the fact that our Operations Manager, who I am sure is a busy, busy man takes the time to get out on the production floor and socialize with us lowly employees, even sits in the common break area and enjoys lunch with the rest of us, not common of upper management at other places that I have worked. They constantly let you know that your efforts make a difference and that you are appreciated. I have been given the opportunity to work on multiple projects and demonstrate my abilities, it really feels good when you can go to work and know that someone takes notice of what you are doing, when a lot of places you are just a number. I have been given the opportunity to learn a lot and grow within the company. If I have questions or concerns I am without a doubt going to find someone willing to address them, however, there are times when information is hard to come by. Information is hush, hush and secretive. Communication of policy could use serious improvement. The best thing about the Job is that if you do a good job, it is recognized. If you slack on your job it is recognized. There is tons of room for advancement for those of us who come to work, do our job, and share our knowledge. If you want to become a leader, this is the place to come and learn leadership skills!! – less
Data Collector (Former Employee), Beltsville, MDSeptember 15, 2012
Pros: great flexibility, travel, excellent compensation
Cons: short assignments
I enjoyed working for ICF. The supervisors are wonderful, the work is fun and they try to keep us engaged in other activities to help make the travel more enjoyable. I would recommend this company to anyone!
Productive and fun workplace where everyone is willing to help each other learn and grow.
Tier II Service Desk Technician (Former Employee), Fairfax, VASeptember 10, 2012
Pros: free lunches sometimes, and great coworkers, environment and ability to grow
ICF is a great place to work. Their employees are always willing to help each other learn new things, which allows the company as a whole to get stronger. I came in knowing very little, and left knowing more than I could have imagined to, and I wouldn't exchange it for anything else.
Very fun/ academic consulting
Analyst, Homeland Security Practice (Former Employee), Fairfax, VASeptember 4, 2012
Pros: nice management
Cons: juggling multiple projects
Great place to work- didn't love working on 5 projects at the same time...in retrospect it was a very pleasant environment

About ICF International

Consultant ICF International sees opportunity in government spending. The firm advises government entities andĀ businessesĀ on issues – Read more