ICF International Employee Reviews in United States

Professional Atmosphere
Senior Associate/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 22, 2015
The culture and employee relations are very professional. To move up in the company you have to be a bit of an over achiever; spending long hours on project work.
What I know about the company
Senior System Analyst/Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 16, 2015
I worked mostly in the programming area and not in the position to review the company. I was not a full employee but a contractor. However, their full time employees have a very good review and impression of the company
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Not Sure
I would not recommend
Operation Agent (Current Employee) –  Martinsville, VAJanuary 19, 2015
ICF used to be a well establish place to work. Since November of 2013 it has went down hill. There is no job security, no organization or structure, and no chance for advancement for most employees. They have cut hours and even we full time employees are only getting 15-28 hours a week. The benefits are far from good. The insurance is the bare minimum with ridiculous deductions and high monthly payments. You have to wait until you get hire full time before you get vacation pay and you have to wait a year after to get hired to accumulate a week of vacation. The ones who excel at the job have no been given any recognition or chance for advancement. I would not recommend ICF to anyone.
Pros
sit down call cent job
Cons
no structe or organization, no chance for advancement
Poor managment
Analyst (Current Employee) –  AtlantaJuly 27, 2015
The Management staff is untrained and unskilled, Unfair hiring process, Poor work conditions, no advancement and Stressful
Pros
Not a good place to work if you want any job security
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  FairfaxMay 8, 2013
ICF has changed a lot since it went public. It is no longer a company that cares about the growth of its employees, just its own growth.

There is little opportunity to establish a career path. If you need experience, get some, and then move on.

There is no job security. Great employees are let go because there is "not enough work" or billable hours are not high enough. Yet, ICF has other job openings that it never considers for these employees so don't believe it when they say its a great place to work.

Upper management is insular now. The company's stock, an indicator of its success, is average. Employees get 2% raises (or none), and if you are not part of a manager pool, you get no consistent bonuses.Yet, the most senior executives (2) still enjoy $1 million compensation and the most senior management (a small group) still gets paid very well.

Surprisingly, ICF still attracts some great employees. Most, however eventually leave for better opportunities.
Pros
the people
Cons
the management, no career path, pay is low
Varies by group and division, but overall good company
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 29, 2014
Have worked here for a few years. Have seen many people come and go, mostly due to contract changeover, and subsequent lack of placement for those impacted. Typical stereotype for many who are "stuck in middle management" and inconsistent messaging on what it takes to advance. HOWEVER, I haven't met a colleague that is not driven to work hard and perform. ICF attracts very motivated and high-performing folks....retaining them can be problematic. Great work-life balance. Many telecommuters and remote employees. Nice facilities. Have learned many facets of the business, from business development, to contracting, to project management. Great internal professional development opportunities. Hardest part of the job - feeling secure (it IS mostly contracting after all).
Pros
lots of professional development opportunities, telecommuting options
Cons
undercompensated, few holidays/pto, consistent communication
If your hoping to make a 'career' in this company.. DONT
OUTBOUND CALL AGENT (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAMay 20, 2015
This company is for the 'company' and does nothing to motivate, encourage or reward the employees. They also do not stick with the agreements they make with their employees. I accepted a position in the outbound call department with the understanding, head of HR was present at this time, that I could ONLY work daytime hours due to my transportation arrangement and not 3months after doing so I was placed on night time shift which caused an attendance issue and termination! I had worked for this company for a little over 3yrs and this is how they treated me, even received 'employee of the month and high production certificates and this is how they rewarded me.
Pros
decent hourly pay for this area
Cons
no communications between management and employees, can not count on the company to stick with what they tell you, no real benifit to working with or for this company
A great place for Senior Mgmt.; Regular workers...not so much!
Writer (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 29, 2014
My perception based upon my experience: ICF definitely seems to look out for senior management/senior employees, but if you're just an average underling, you're super disposable and they'll let you go in a heartbeat no matter how excellent your work has been, how much you've busted your behind, or how much overtime you've done.

There is no work-life balance. I was told by a senior employee that overtime was expected every week (and, indeed, your amount of OT will factor into your raises or lack thereof).

Advancement is a joke! I kept asking management for advancement advice and avenues; I was given vague, roundabout answers. I once applied for an internal position for which I had no experience and I got a call for an interview. I later decided to remain in my current position a little longer, so I canceled the interview. Later on, I applied several times, internally, for jobs for which I was perfectly qualified or overqualified. No call backs. I almost wondered if you get internally blacklisted by HR if you cancel an interview.

In any event, ICF was great to get my foot in the door and a little more experience, but that's the best I can say about the place. Unless you're a senior employee, don't expect to be happy, respected, valued, or to stick around for a long time!
Pros
coffee in the break room.
Cons
company/office politics.
poor management, poor compensation, no growth, bad morale
ICS (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAJuly 9, 2014
I thought there would be changes with new management and supervisors; promises were made to value and appreciate employees, hard quality work, and consistently high productivity and have yet to be fulfilled; employees are consistently expected to do more with less; and morale is at an all-time low, as is compensation. This is the most unprofessional place I have ever worked and the rumors of lost contracts due to an increasingly poor reputation for this particular call center and the possibility of closing seem to be true as more and more employees are "laid off," "suspended (for blatantly false reasons)," and "hours are reduced due to lack of work." As fast as people are hired they quit in disgust when they realize that the promises made in the interview process are not kept.
Pros
my fellow co-workers
Cons
too many to list
Disaster Relief Company
Case Management QA/QC Manager (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 23, 2014
A typical day as a Quality Assurance Manager was keeping over 50 employees motivated and focused on the mission of getting residents restored back in their home or compensated due to recent disaster.
While working for ICF on their disaster relief team I learned working to help others that lost nearly everything, was both rewarding and enjoyable while working long hours in a face paced environment. In addition, I learned there are stretched goals and one should always push beyond the stretch goal and exceed expectations.
The hardest part of the job was facing road blocks, such as, requesting home ownership documentation from a family that lost everything and could not provide documentation.
The management team I worked with was a team environment. They allowed me to function independently, without constant supervision or micromanaging. We met and exceeded our goals.
Pros
helping over 200, 000 families
Cons
the assignment ended.
Rewarding work, little job security
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAAugust 27, 2014
I enjoyed working with my clients and co-workers, and was able to provide quality deliverables to clients. Management encourages you to stay with the company, assures you that additional work will be available at the end of the contract then lets you go. It's a typical for-profit company- it's all about the money.
Pros
decent work-life balance.
Cons
no job security.
Terrible place to work.
Computer Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAApril 10, 2015
HATE HATE HATE working there. So unprofessional and unorganized management. I worked through a temp service n we were promised we would get hired on if we made production. Never did. And they fired us after their peak season.
Pros
Office job.
Cons
Management sucked. Poor communication.
easy job if you don't mind getting cussed out on a daily basis
Survey research (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAApril 22, 2015
The job was fun as far as researching projects you were on and preparing rebuttals for when respondents asked questions such as "why are you calling me 8 times a day?" I learned how to persuade people to take surveys which is mentally challenging especially with non-cooperative people. Co-workers were great. There was a slim to none chance of getting any kind of benefits and weekends were mandantory, Progressing in the company is nearly impossible.
Pros
sitting down all day, great breaks, good pay
Cons
very rare chance of getting benefits, mandatory weekends
Made and was apart of history.
Housing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 29, 2013
The Road Home Program was developed by the Governor of Louisiana as a way to assist residents of New Orleans and surrounding towns with monetary awards that stemmed from Hurricane Katrina. I would consult with RHP clients to assess their situation to determine compensation. The management was very stricted and micro-managed. Also worked towards benchmarks and deadlines. Had to provide security for all the personel and sensitive information that was received. The hardest part of my job was the commute to New Orleans from Baton Rouge Monday through Friday. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the clients and providing them the help that was needed. Also meeting the other employees which whom were affected by the storm.
Pros
personal assistance to clients and the knowledge gained from the pilot program.
Cons
didn't last long enough.
Independent Work
Energy Efficiency Technician (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 7, 2015
I throughly enjoyed this job it required you to be self starter which I loved. The day went by quickly and I worked with a really nice group of guys.
Pros
Independent work
Cons
lots of travel
Consulting Company
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 28, 2015
Your job security can be scary because your career opportunities depend on what contracts you get. I enjoyed the flexibility of the company and consulting nature of the business.
Pros
pay, flexibility
Cons
job security
Never take someone's word. Make your own!
Data Entry/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  MartinsvilleMay 12, 2015
This is a fortune 500 company which has Great International locations and career opportunities and they are always looking to hire. The locations you able to go depend on you experience and general knowledge. The more documentation (diplomas and degrees) you can present the better. If you cannot present any of that - than like usually much, much hard work can land you a position you are looking for. Or the less favorable route....its all in who you know. Training is key right now as well as first and finals.
Pros
Managment
Cons
Managment
Change not welcomed
Comp Manager (Former Employee) –  FairfaxNovember 20, 2013
Management, especially the C-suite had no appetite for change. They talk about being competitive but the don't want to make any of the necessary changes to accomplish this. Also they refused to share any market data within the company which put most managers at a huge disadvantage when trying to hire or retain talent.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
horrible leadership especially at the top of the hr org.
Everyone was nice except for one supervisor.
Bilingual Operations Center Agent (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VASeptember 28, 2013
I learned a lot here got valuable customer service experience as well as some telemarketing data research skills that I would not of got anywhere else. The management was fine other than hardly seeing them on the floor, the supervisors are the only ones you see on a day to day basis. My co-workers were mostly not as serious to the job as I was and felt like I was never rewarded for my efforts. The hardest part of the job would have to be dealing with angry people but it felt rewarding when I was able to calm them down.
Pros
coffee, nice break area, cool building
Cons
takes too long for benefits, no background checks, some people smelled of marijuana
Terrible place to work for
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Martinsville VAMay 29, 2014
No communication from management, they make rash decisions and then blame employees for the failure of the decision that they made.
They are currently in a production crisis so they are sending people home because they have a bad day in terms of meeting production, this started 3 weeks ago and it came with no warning.
The job I do has no production requirement but yet I was sent home for not meeting production.
Virginia is an at will state in terms of employment so ICFI can do as they please, and they know it.
They are hiring continuously and letting people go at same time there is no job security.
They do not support higher education and don't care if you have a degree they don't try to find you a place where your education can and will be used.
You earn your 5 days off a year .77 per paycheck which is horrible, no sick days, no personal days, no short term disability.
I have learned that they don't care about their employees unless they are management.
Pros
hiring constantly
Cons
everything about them is a con

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ICF International. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6