ICF International

ICF International Employer Reviews

Policy Wonks R Us
Senior Associate I (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 22, 2013
Pros: provides decent employee compensation and benefits packages
Cons: some divisions place too much emphasis on quarterly utilization rates, triggering staff layoffs without input from employee supervisors
ICF is divinely wonkish. The U.S. Department's Energy Star program is one of many successful programs the company has worked with its clients to develop. The company also has a decent corporate culture that embraces a commitment to environmentally sustainable operations and the provision of high-quality client service. Work is varied and interesting, – more... and staff is dedicated, highly skilled and effective. – less
Strenuous atmosphere to work in .
Housing Specialist (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAOctober 9, 2013
Pros: good money
Cons: no structure early on.
Typical day would be gathering client information for counselors. I've learned that the program was a work in progress. Management was on a micromanagement style. Co-workers were overworked and pressured to make quotas. Hardest part of the job was the demands from State government for moving the program forward. The most enjoyable part was meeting people – more... from all walks of life. – less
Want to be treated like a person
Web Designer & Developer (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAOctober 8, 2013
Pros: flexible work schedules, they like beer
Cons: politics, managers play favorites, care more about the bottom line than employees
It would depend on the group you're in but my manger plays favorites.
Disaster Recovery
Tier III Escalated Supervisor (Former Employee), Fairfax, VASeptember 28, 2013
Worked harder and put in more hours in this position than over my entire 20 yr career. I loved my team and i enjoyed my job and the people that made it all come together!!
Everyone was nice except for one supervisor.
Bilingual Operations Center Agent (Former Employee), Martinsville, VASeptember 28, 2013
Pros: coffee, nice break area, cool building
Cons: takes too long for benefits, no background checks, some people smelled of marijuana
I learned a lot here got valuable customer service experience as well as some telemarketing data research skills that I would not of got anywhere else. The management was fine other than hardly seeing them on the floor, the supervisors are the only ones you see on a day to day basis. My co-workers were mostly not as serious to the job as I was and felt – more... like I was never rewarded for my efforts. The hardest part of the job would have to be dealing with angry people but it felt rewarding when I was able to calm them down. – less
Polished yet relaxed. High performance factor expected;lots of autonomy
SERVICE DESK ANALYST II (Current Employee), Rockville, MDAugust 20, 2013
Great place to work. Great people to work with. Management can be a bit detached and incommunicado but you couldn't ask for a better set of polished professionals to work with.
Great growth company
Vice President Customer Service (Current Employee), Martinsville, VAAugust 9, 2013
Pros: international exposure
Cons: company is laser focused on growth
ICF is a company that is focused on growth. Being international and global, there are many opportunities.

ICF focuses on consulting to government agencies. Their core competencies are Health, Education, Energy and Defense.

After 13 years, I have held many different roles, all of which were a stretch and a challenge.

ICF is a great place to go if – more... you are looking to get into federal consulting. – less
It was a good experience!
Senior Security Analyst and Technical Writer (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDAugust 6, 2013
Pros: walked at lunch time everyday
Cons: n/a
ICF International was an awesome place to work. I enjoyed the culture, environment and the people I worked with.
Passionate commitment to the work we do
Senior Pricing Analyst / Team Leader (Current Employee), Calverton, MDJuly 20, 2013
The people who you work with are the key.
Workload can vary everyday.
very common one!
Scientific Data Analyst (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 10, 2013
Pros: nothing!
Cons: poor benefit!
Time is flexiable, routine work, no challenge at all.
Poor management!
Coworkers is nice.
Nobody will tell you what to do. You have to keep asking!
Nothing enjoyable for me!
Low stress and High benefits
Web Technical Editor/Program Analyst (Current Employee), Jefferson, ARJune 18, 2013
The location I worked at provided a low stress environment with the chance for advancement and educational improvement.
Wonderful opportunity
Analyst (Current Employee), Calverton, MDJune 14, 2013
Pros: coworkers, variation of tasks
Cons: office location
The people I work with and for are remarkable. I have a great deal of respect for them all. We are all very dedicated to our study and genuinely work very well together. The atmosphere is supportive and respectful and fun. The duties vary enough so that we are always learning new skills. Unfortunately our office is moving farther away from my home and – more... the commute will be too far. – less
Progressive Company
SENIOR ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Columbia, MDJune 10, 2013
Working for ICF was a very pleasant and rewarding expeience.
Productive yet stressful
Survey Researcher (Temporary-Part Time) (Former Employee), N. Augusta, SCJune 3, 2013
Human Resources was lacking but overall a pleasant working environment
JOB
RESEARCH TECH/DATA ENTRY (Current Employee), Martinsville, VAMay 20, 2013
WHEN I FIRST STARTED ICF. IT WAS THE BEST EXPERIENCE EVER. NOW ITS STRESSFUL MORE THAN OUTSIDE OF WORK. I LEARNED HOW TO DEAL WITH THE MOST UPSET CUSTOMERS EVER CAUSE WE CALL THEM ALMOST 15 TIMES A DAY.
Not a good place to work if you want any job security
Senior Associate (Former Employee), FairfaxMay 8, 2013
Pros: the people
Cons: the management, no career path, pay is low
ICF has changed a lot since it went public. It is no longer a company that cares about the growth of its employees, just its own growth.

There is little opportunity to establish a career path. If you need experience, get some, and then move on.

There is no job security. Great employees are let go because there is "not enough work" or billable hours – more... are not high enough. Yet, ICF has other job openings that it never considers for these employees so don't believe it when they say its a great place to work.

Upper management is insular now. The company's stock, an indicator of its success, is average. Employees get 2% raises (or none), and if you are not part of a manager pool, you get no consistent bonuses.Yet, the most senior executives (2) still enjoy $1 million compensation and the most senior management (a small group) still gets paid very well.

Surprisingly, ICF still attracts some great employees. Most, however eventually leave for better opportunities. – less
Interesting work, but fast growth = major problems
Fellow (Current Employee), FairfaxMay 3, 2013
Pros: 1) interesting work and clients. 2) smart, dedicated colleagues. 3) nice work spaces, and flexible telecommuting option.
Cons: 1) poor management and systems. 2) inconsistent treatment. 3) low compensation, compared to other firms. 4) far too many lay offs of excellent employees, while at the same time, hiring like mad.
I am a Fellow. When I joined the firm, I was taken by surprise at the unreasonable expectations managers placed on junior staff, and executives placed on managers. ICFI underpays employees with little hope advancement or pay increases for two years or more years. We pay junior to mid-level staff far less than my previous firms. My previous firms paid – more... no one in the DC area in the low $40s, let alone consultants! Even ICFI mid-level staff with masters degrees and several years of field and management experience, are offered comparably low pay. They tell me that they accepted their positions, because they expected program/hiring managers to fulfill promises of advancement, higher salaries, and more interesting work, once they got their feet in the door. However, these promises are not realized for many years, if ever, for many disillusioned hires.

Unless we recruit a new hire for being a nationally recognized subject matter expert/published author/speaker, or someone with several years of narrow/niche functional expertise, a person can not expect to be well compensated (compared to other firms), or have much, if any job security.

I have junior staff and mid-level consultants and managers, who have performed very well, looking to me and program executives for billable hours, afraid that they will be laid off if they do not find enough work for themselves. And, we lay them off, in droves, routinely. At the same time, we hire people weekly, in droves, with similar skills to the good people we lay off, for two reasons -- 1) extreme competitive bidding and 2) big firm with no systems or poor/small company systems.

First, let me address extreme competitive bidding. We won't bid an existing employee who matches, for example, 4 out of 6 qualifications, when we can hire someone new who matches PERFECTLY -- 6 out of 6 quals -- AND pay them less. So, it's worth it to us to lay someone off. We will fire a loyal, talented employee, and hire the PERFECT quals match for a lower salary. We might save a little on the cost proposal, and score an evaluation point on the technical proposal. Evidently, this is easier than working more creatively to keep the bid competitive.

Second, small company systems do not fit a big firm that has quickly outgrown them. We can not match employees who need hours with available project hours across the firm -- or even within a division or group. This inability also leads to far too many lay offs of great employees. So, even if there are available hours, or full-time or part-time positions somewhere in the company, ICFI has no internal advocate, policy, process, system, or tool to retain talent. We can not match underutilized employees with available hours and/or positions.

Astonishingly, open positions (full time or part time) are not any more accessible to existing employees than outside applicants. Our HR staff and program hiring managers have no tools to sort employee applicants from outside applicants. As a result, waves of employees are routinely laid off, while new people with similar skills and experience are hired. It's wildly frustrating, and scary for employees.

Whether an employee has to worry about this or not, however, is also painfully inconsistent, depending on who likes you, who you report to, which line of business, division, and group you are in, and whether you have an influential VP in your corner. Obviously, this can be true in any company, but at ICFI, self promoters seem to be more rewarded than at other firms I've worked for -- large and small.

I am also dismayed by the lack of systematic coaching for managers and consultants -- especially with respect to developing client relationships. We have the training courses, but staff has little time to take these courses. Additionally, even if they have the time, staff seems reluctant to lose billable hours for training. And, finally, these kinds of courses are not meant to REPLACE on the job coaching or mentoring by senior staff. It can't. Training does not help learners apply new knowledge. In terms of what employees learn on the job, mid-level staff are taught the mechanics of project management, but they are NOT routinely coached in the nuances of developing relationships with clients. According to many discussions with employees in lines of business across the firm, certain individuals do get this coaching attention from some senior leaders. But, these exceptions are not the same as having systems and structures in place to support all consultants and managers in developing their client relationship building skills, which all employees I've talked to in these roles say they want and need. These relationship skills are essential for project management and, of course business development.

Broadening relationship skill building from clients, these skills also can be applied to managing staff, working effectively with teams and across the firm in collaborations for bids and on projects, recruiting and managing partners, and so on. The systematic, comprehensive, and widespread coaching that is necessary for mid-levels is not taking place for everyone. We need this investment and expectation, not for the favored few, but as a policy, with with processes in place for all.

But, at ICFI, we talk, agree, mean well, and do not act. Not enough senior leaders have the competencies, beyond the subject matter expertise in their fields to follow through with systems and structures that would make this a more fair work place and an environment conducive to everyone's development. – less
Look elsewhere
Senior Associate (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 28, 2013
Pros: interesting projects, has a good reputation (somehow)
Cons: very poor compensation, few raises and promotions, soul-less corporatie environment
ICF is just a DC "body shop," meaning they pay you a low wage, then bill the government 3 times as much. There is no training, special equipment, or other value added for the client.

Salaries are low across the board. Do not believe anything the HR recruiters say- I was lied to during salary negotiations. The company just cancelled the sick leave program- – more... enjoy your 15 total days off (don't get sick!). It is very difficult to be promoted. Benefits are average at best. Management is incompetent, constantly reorganizing, covering up a poor business model through acquisitions, and focused solely on shareholders.

I recommend anyone look elsewhere for employment, and avoid all other contractors if possible. They are a colossal waste of public money, and a major source of America's spending problem.

There are some good aspects. Projects are interesting, because the company has fooled the government into thinking they need to outsource everything. Health care is above average. The company and its employees do "walk the walk" on environmental sustainability. Work flexibility is very good. Individual lines of business can have good people. – less
Fast Pace environment with very intelligent colleagues
Senior Associate (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAApril 6, 2013
Variety in types of projects and analysis. Surrounded by very talented and smart individuals that continuously raised the bar.
Boring, unmotivating, but pays well
Analyst (Current Employee), Plano, TXMarch 25, 2013
Pros: free snacks and sodas, good benefits, allow domestic partners
Cons: bad management, mildly sexist
First - I worked in a branch office so this may be different in other locations. Typical work days are very quiet. Most of the managers are often out of the office. There will typically be at least one manager in the office each day. We mainly sit in front of our computers all day. We have a few meetings a week, and often work with people in other offices. – more... This office is part of the Energy Efficiency group within ICF. We work on utility-sponsored energy efficiency programs, such as Home Performance with ENERGY STAR. My job is fairly easy, I'll admit, but we are not encouraged to grow. There seem to be limited opportunities here, though the huge headquarters office sounds different. But there is no way to grow outside of this office since managers run different parts of the country. This office also seems mildly sexist. The most enjoyable part of my job has been the few coworkers I've met that are lifetime friends now. You get thrown into the fire a lot at this job, which has its ups and downs. I definitely feel more confident and prepared for another job, though that's partially because I can't stand another day of this one. Bad management has run down this office, though maybe other offices are better. You do have the freedom to come and go a lot at this office though, which has been nice. But it also seems like people barely pay attention to anything, so you don't get the positives either. – less

About ICF International

ICF International (NASDAQ:ICFI) provides professional services and technology solutions that deliver beneficial impact in areas – Read more

ICF International Photos