ICF International

ICF International Employer Reviews

Very friendly co-workers and supervisior staff
Telephone Interviewer (Current Employee), Plattsburgh, NYAugust 17, 2012
Pros: talk to a variety of people all over the country
Cons: can't devieate from the scripe that is on the screen infront of you. no health insurance.
I get along with all my co-workers we have fun and laugh alot. The hardest part of this job is you never know what kind of people your going to talk to on the phone and the responses you get to people thinking that your going to rip them off or try to get anything from them.
Poor benefits
Senior associate (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAAugust 8, 2012
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: poor benefit package
One of the worst benefit packages I've seen. Maternity leave almost non existent and health insurance is very costly.
One Of The Best Places To Work
US EPA Contractor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 8, 2012
Pros: spot bonuses, great benefits, great management, fiscally sound company
Cons: example: short breaks, healthcare, etc.
ICF International is a government contracting company whose management is what makes the company great. They reward employees for exceptional work and treat employees like family. Although I work in a different state from my other teammates and management, I never feel disconnected or micro-managed.
Productive but stressful work environment
Team Lead / Cust. Asst. Rep. (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJuly 30, 2012
The company controlled the funds for the Louisiana Road Home Program. The company's objective was to provide financial assistance to the recovery of the Hurricanes Katrina and Rita victims. Employees provided callers with their application status, scheduled appointments, completed applications, an provided support.
Data Collectors
Data Collector (Former Employee), Continental United States-Travel JobJuly 13, 2012
Pros: usually didn't work a 40 hour week, reimbursement was quick, excellent trainers
Cons: you may not have a job for 3-6 months if at all, poor communication from the company, not a professional job, low pay, use your own car for travel
I worked on two data-collection projects for this company and at first I thought it would be a great adventure to travel and gather data. Overall, it was an unpleasant job.

They ask you where you have friends and family to supposedly put you at schools where you can see people you know. That never happened.

The first project, I did, I had a GREAT – more... supervisor. She was very knowledgeable and supportive. The second project I did, I was given a supervisor who clearly didn't have a clue what he was doing. I'm pretty sure it was his first time around. His communication was horrible and he couldn't answer questions for me when I needed him to.

The job itself is VERY boring and not challenging. You organize materials, you go to to a school, you give the students the survey, you read them the directions, you deal with apathetic students, you collect the surveys, you go home, you report the data to the company. Same story, every time, no variation, no challenge.

I ended up working with some very strange people and I came to realize that this is a job that people hold when they can't hold another job. People who don't fit into the "real world" do this data collection job because they don't have to fit in with society to do it. One of my coworkers was such an obvious annoyance to the school personnel we worked with and had zero social skills, yet ICF deemed him to be "one of the very best data collectors" they had.

On the second project, I was paid $14 an hour, plus travel. I used my own car on most of my projects and was paid mileage. I put thousands of miles on my car and later had to pay for repairs as a result. Yes, I got $.50 a mile, but it didn't make it worth it since the repairs I had later down the road were thousands of dollars. About two paychecks into the project, I realized I was getting paid the wrong hourly amount, it took them the remainder of the three-month project to fix it-after numerous emails from me.

At the end of the project, I asked about the next upcoming project and was told by my supervisor that he "didn't know anything about that project". That was it, I wasn't given any opportunity to apply for it or even find out who was in charge of it. There was never any communication from the company saying, "hey you all did a great job, here's the next opportunity to work" or anything. We just mailed back our surveys and never heard from them again.

So, as a result, I filed for unemployment. ICF lied to unemployment and told them I still worked for them even though it had been over three months since I'd received a paycheck. Because I was still on their "list", I was considered an employee. I had to fight it to get the measly unemployment amount through the state.

About SIX MONTHS later, they called to see if I wanted to work on their newest project. As if I'd been sitting around for six months waiting to hear from them. Needless to say, I declined.

The best part of the job, I would say is that I really never worked a 40 hour week unless I was away from home an entire week. You work 2-4 days and get paid for 40 hours. So, even though the pay was very low, it helped me feel like I was getting ahead just a little.

I'm sure doing other jobs with ICF are better than the data collection job I had. The permanent employees seemed very happy with their jobs and I would probably have loved working at their headquarters. But the collection job was not for me and I don't foresee myself ever doing it again. – less
Great job, however temporary
Case Support Specialist (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJuly 10, 2012
ICF International was another job I enjoyed. I worked hard as a customer service representative and became a case support specialist and eventually a part of the email team. The only downsize to this job was job security due to these positions being temporary due to ICF International being removed shortly after hurricane Katrina resolved housing situation – more... due to the storm. Enjoyable job and the satisfaction helping others and giving them a peace of mind is humbling. – less
Very rewarding place to work where the "rubber meets the road".
Senior Associate (Current Employee), Warner Robins, GA (Robins AFB)June 25, 2012
Pros: front line in keeping our c-130 fleet flying.
Cons: normal government red tape.
A typical day is spent supporting the Air Force's C-130 Tactical Airlift program critical parts location, budget decisions and customer interface. Management, both government and company, is topnotch. It has been a great opportunity to work with some of the smartest folks in the logistics arena. The work does not have a hard part when you truly enjoy – more... what you are doing and the people I work with are truly the most enjoyable part of the job. Joy comes, however, when you are able to meet the need of the customer so they can complete their job/mission. – less
productive and rewarding position
Field Interviewer (Current Employee), El Paso, TXJune 20, 2012
As a HUD contractor, ICF International is responsible for collecting the data necessary to identify and report on errors in assisted housing programs across the United States and Puerto Rico. Field interviewers from across the United States will be responsible for collecting the required information from sites assigned to them. Duties in clued but not – more... limited to Contact project staff
• Prepare and analyze Information contained in the files maintained at the project for each household.
• Prepare and analyze Information obtained from the household through an in-person interview with the tenant. This information will be verified via forms mailed to third party sources, such as employers, childcare providers, and other sources of income or expenses.
• Select sample of households
• Obtain information from the household files
• Conduct Interviews with tenants in their homes
• Request verification via letter mailed to third parties
• Keep accurate records (on paper and on the computer)
• Maintain the confidentiality of sensitive data (on paper and on the computer), Transfer data to headquarters daily, Send required paperwork to headquarters at least weekly. – less
n/a
Marketing/Communications Coordinator (Current Employee), Irvine, CAJune 19, 2012
Great company with room for advancement. Great employees.
Job Security
Buyer (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAMay 22, 2012
Pros: employee activites
Cons: culture of environment
If you do what needs to be done and comlete tasks in a timely manner, your job will be secure.
Fun and productive environment
Assistant Title Manager (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAMay 15, 2012
ICF is an amazing company to work for. Management & co-workers are helpful and informed about the subject matter.
If its the only offer you have do it
Consaultant (Former Employee), MDApril 24, 2012
Pros: technology, hardware
Cons: management, evaluation
Worked for this company for less than two months I got a 30 day review everything was fine and then without warning was let go for things I was unaware of that my manager never communicated.

In the meeting I explained my case and situation but was never given a full opportunity to do my job or understand the tasks I had to complete. They told me that – more... I was not developing even though I had only been there less then two months.

Not the ideal situation considering that now I am looking for employment again with rent and a used car that I have to pay for somehow.

My experience was not the best but yours might be different – less
Unorganized/Unprofessional
Research Technician (Former Employee), Martinsville, VAApril 18, 2012
Pros: pays more than "some" call centers
Cons: unprofessional, no communication with management, no formal handbook, and the list goes on.
A typical day at work at ICF is simplified in the following statement, "overworked and underpaid." Your schedule constantly changes without notice, no handbook (you are subject to penalty or termination for something you have no knowledge), absolutely NO communication through management. The most enjoyable part of the job is the end of the shift. Overall, – more... the work isn't hard;however, you are treated less than a dog would be and they are highly unprofessional in all job-related acts. I wouldn't recommend this company to my best friend nor my worst enemy. – less
Unbalanced
Research Technician (Former Employee), Martinsville, VirginiaMarch 29, 2012
Too much management. One hand does not know what the other is doing and the other hand does not care.

AlsoAnonymous – December 6, 2012

I agree with your comment about "one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing" - they do have a communication problem!

nice place
Grant Reviewer / Subject Matter Expert (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAMarch 27, 2012
excelent location, excelent work ethics and nice experiance for people that work in te mortgage industry
Strong executive leadership - choose your local leadership wisely.. not always so great!
HR (Current Employee), FairfaxMarch 23, 2012
Pros: hq is accessible by vienna metro, staff is highly competent, leadership knows the business
Cons: non-transparent, closed leadership; rapid non-organic growth, immaturity of processes
Much of executive leadership team has grown up through the company as SMEs and operational staff, so they know the business well, but they can also be a bit incestual in their knowledge, practices and promotion of talent. Rapidly growing, highly acquisitory, but not great at leadership integration of acquired executives or consolidation of processes. – more... Weak infrastructure for a company pushing to be $1B in revenue. – less

Karen88 – May 7, 2012

I have been trying to get a job with ICF since I graduated from GMU. I am a Finance major and I would like an entry-level Financial Analyst position. I am aware of the competitiveness and I know that I have the capabilities to be successful in a Finance or Accounting position. I would appreciate it if you could give me any advice that would help me at least get a phone interview. Thank you so much.

Flexible work-life balance, engaging and friendly
Senior Manager (Current Employee), Fairfax VAMarch 15, 2012
Having been with ICF for 9+ years, I find that it's flexible work-life balance in my line of business the reason for staying. What else keeps me there is the interesting work. People are genuine and nice to work with. My line of business requires team work to complete a project, this requires a certain type of person and luckily we have all the right – more... pieces. It is a great place to work. – less
ICF International
Project Administrator (Current Employee), VirginiaJanuary 23, 2012
Pros: good pay, good people
Cons: difficult to shift roles
Easy to get pigeon holed into position. ICF acquires companies so this might be an issue of the acquired firm and not necessarily of ICF.
ICF Providing IT Support to Social Security
Java Developer (Former Employee), Baltimore MDApril 28, 2012
Pros: free parking
Cons: hours limited to those ssa core hours
I enjoyed my experience working at ICF. The day varied greatly as part of the job was a support role. Were their any issues or did we receive requests for assistance.

My co-workers were good. We got along well.

The management perspective was different in that I really had 2 supervisors. One supervisor was an SSA employee. He was the systems manager – more... of the application that I supported. The other supervisor worked for ICF. I did new development for the ICF supervisor. – less

About ICF International

Consultant ICF International sees opportunity in government spending. The firm advises government entities and businesses on issues – Read more