ICF Employee Reviews

Walk Away...no...RUN Away
Overworked/Underpaid Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAMay 25, 2016
Every year, they lay off a large number of employees because the company is "over budget". How does this happen? You go in everyday worried if you will make it. Every time you miss a goal or make a minor mistake, they overreact and remind you of the previous "D-Day". Management overreacts to everything and they fire folks for no rhyme and reason and then run and hire temps. If you want piece of mind, don't come here. I've worked at a lot of places and never seen a place Like this.
Awesome workplace
Senior Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAAugust 14, 2016
Awesome workplace. Great working. Company culture is good and people are flexible. Lot of work and good no. of hiring. Telecommuting is also there as an option.
I would not recommend
Operation Agent (Current Employee) –  Martinsville, VAJanuary 19, 2015
ICF used to be a well establish place to work. Since November of 2013 it has went down hill. There is no job security, no organization or structure, and no chance for advancement for most employees. They have cut hours and even we full time employees are only getting 15-28 hours a week. The benefits are far from good. The insurance is the bare minimum with ridiculous deductions and high monthly payments. You have to wait until you get hire full time before you get vacation pay and you have to wait a year after to get hired to accumulate a week of vacation. The ones who excel at the job have no been given any recognition or chance for advancement. I would not recommend ICF to anyone.
Pros
Sit down call cent job
Cons
No structe or organization, no chance for advancement
poor management, poor compensation, no growth, bad morale
ICS (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAJuly 9, 2014
I thought there would be changes with new management and supervisors; promises were made to value and appreciate employees, hard quality work, and consistently high productivity and have yet to be fulfilled; employees are consistently expected to do more with less; and morale is at an all-time low, as is compensation. This is the most unprofessional place I have ever worked and the rumors of lost contracts due to an increasingly poor reputation for this particular call center and the possibility of closing seem to be true as more and more employees are "laid off," "suspended (for blatantly false reasons)," and "hours are reduced due to lack of work." As fast as people are hired they quit in disgust when they realize that the promises made in the interview process are not kept.
Pros
my fellow co-workers
Cons
too many to list
gym
Grant Reviewer/Senior (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 13, 2016
Atmosphere at ICF was fun and family oriented. I enjoyed the morning meetings every morning. Employees were able to use the gym for a monthly fee. Metro acessible.
Pros
metro
Cons
commute
Made and was apart of history.
Housing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 29, 2013
The Road Home Program was developed by the Governor of Louisiana as a way to assist residents of New Orleans and surrounding towns with monetary awards that stemmed from Hurricane Katrina. I would consult with RHP clients to assess their situation to determine compensation. The management was very stricted and micro-managed. Also worked towards benchmarks and deadlines. Had to provide security for all the personel and sensitive information that was received. The hardest part of my job was the commute to New Orleans from Baton Rouge Monday through Friday. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the clients and providing them the help that was needed. Also meeting the other employees which whom were affected by the storm.
Pros
personal assistance to clients and the knowledge gained from the pilot program.
Cons
didn't last long enough.
Not a good place to work if you want any job security
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  FairfaxMay 8, 2013
ICF has changed a lot since it went public. It is no longer a company that cares about the growth of its employees, just its own growth.

There is little opportunity to establish a career path. If you need experience, get some, and then move on.

There is no job security. Great employees are let go because there is "not enough work" or billable hours are not high enough. Yet, ICF has other job openings that it never considers for these employees so don't believe it when they say its a great place to work.

Upper management is insular now. The company's stock, an indicator of its success, is average. Employees get 2% raises (or none), and if you are not part of a manager pool, you get no consistent bonuses.Yet, the most senior executives (2) still enjoy $1 million compensation and the most senior management (a small group) still gets paid very well.

Surprisingly, ICF still attracts some great employees. Most, however eventually leave for better opportunities.

Pros
the people
Cons
the management, no career path, pay is low
Part time accounts payable clerk (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 21, 2016
ICF was a great place to work. The staff is very friendly. The always had events for the office to participate in. They fed us a lot and parking was always there. They provide a shuttle to and from the metro as well.
Productive and fun workplace
Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 2, 2016
This is a great company to work for. They have a great history and they take care of their employees. They have a great track record as a reputable contractor in the DMV.
Everyone was nice except for one supervisor.
Bilingual Operations Center Agent (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VASeptember 28, 2013
I learned a lot here got valuable customer service experience as well as some telemarketing data research skills that I would not of got anywhere else. The management was fine other than hardly seeing them on the floor, the supervisors are the only ones you see on a day to day basis. My co-workers were mostly not as serious to the job as I was and felt like I was never rewarded for my efforts. The hardest part of the job would have to be dealing with angry people but it felt rewarding when I was able to calm them down.
Pros
Coffee, Nice break Area, Cool building
Cons
Takes too long for benefits, No Background checks, Some people smelled of marijuana
Technical and Friendly Work Environment
Technical Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 8, 2016
ICF International is a contracting company that deals primarily with the federal government. Everyone is very friendly at ICF and willing to help. Overall ICF has a wonderful office environment and is very relaxed; however because ICF is a federal contracting company the majority of an employees time is not spent at ICF (which is a great place to work with nice people) but at federal client sites. The atmosphere that an employee ends up in depends on the project they are on and the feeling of the client site.
Pros
Excellent employees, Managers who really care for their people, hands on training
Cons
All positions are for federal contractor, employees are stuck offsite in hostile client situtations
Fun place to work with lots of variety and opportunity.
Biologist/Consultant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 1, 2016
It's a great place to work. There is a lot of opportunity for professional expansion and advancement. As with any consulting, there is definitely independence. The most enjoyable part of the job is the variety. Days are never the same.
easy job if you don't mind getting cussed out on a daily basis
Survey research (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAApril 22, 2015
The job was fun as far as researching projects you were on and preparing rebuttals for when respondents asked questions such as "why are you calling me 8 times a day?" I learned how to persuade people to take surveys which is mentally challenging especially with non-cooperative people. Co-workers were great. There was a slim to none chance of getting any kind of benefits and weekends were mandantory, Progressing in the company is nearly impossible.
Pros
sitting down all day, great breaks, good pay
Cons
very rare chance of getting benefits, mandatory weekends
Policy Wonks R Us
Senior Associate I (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 22, 2013
ICF is divinely wonkish. The U.S. Department's Energy Star program is one of many successful programs the company has worked with its clients to develop. The company also has a decent corporate culture that embraces a commitment to environmentally sustainable operations and the provision of high-quality client service. Work is varied and interesting, and staff is dedicated, highly skilled and effective.
Pros
Provides decent employee compensation and benefits packages
Cons
Some divisions place too much emphasis on quarterly utilization rates, triggering staff layoffs without input from employee supervisors
OK place to work
Linux Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 15, 2015
Benefits are good, people are nice. Most of the management is top notch. If your looking to move up, thats a different story
Ok contract/temp work
data collector/field interviewer (Former Employee) –  Calverton, MDJanuary 2, 2013
Worked as a data collector/field interviewer for ICF on a study for six months. I built up my resume with a lot of skills, but the compensation is not even double minimum wage, and the hours are not reliable--knew this going into the job though, typically work 30 hours a week. Policy team provided simple support, at best--was given a lot of "oh i don't know about that situation" answers.

sort of a "do the job and don't think too hard or ask a question/question us" mindset, which could be annoying for those with any college education who have critical thinking skills.
Pros
timely reimbursements, supervisor was great, telecommute/set your own schedule
Cons
condescension, unanswered questions at times
Enjoyed learning new things
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Paradise Valley, AZJuly 25, 2016
Not a bad job just got laid off and never wanted to go back due to all the shenanigans the work put me through. It wasn't all that bad but personally I don't like working in the heat due to how easily I over heat. I'm not seeking to go back there but its a good company
What I know about the company
Senior System Analyst/Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 16, 2015
I worked mostly in the programming area and not in the position to review the company. I was not a full employee but a contractor. However, their full time employees have a very good review and impression of the company
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Not Sure
Horrible and no training
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAApril 8, 2016
The worst place I have worked in my entire life. No organization, no training and most of the Supervisors dont know anything either. Typical day starts totally unorganized. Co-workers were good people but its the environment. The hardest part is no training and they expect for you to do YOUR JOB. They just started a child support call center with a contract for the State of Maryland and again THEY DONT KNOW ANYTHING so how can you train when you dont know yourself and the Supervisors have the audacity to coach you when again they are totally worthless. They do not offer holiday pay at all. The lied in the interview. It is no future there so I quit. I was miserable
Pros
Cons
the whole situation
I will never go back to ICF!
Data Collections (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAJune 15, 2016
Constantly lying to your face. Always running out of work. Not a fair company to work for. JS. Also you have a certain amount of hours to work for 10.75 then you go down to 9.50 and ot is based off of 9.50.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
They dont allow you time for your family. Dont care about your life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ICF. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6