Icon plc Employee Reviews in United States

Opinion of ICON
Programmer (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 4, 2015
There are pluses and minuses working at ICON, just as with any employer. On the one hand, the work-life balance and management team at ICON are both very good but, on the other, the opportunities for advancement seem to be limited. That said, my overall takeaway working here is that it's competently run and that it has provided me with a generally enjoyable and rewarding professional experience.
Pros
Work-life balance, management
Cons
Opportunities for advancement
Great people, poor management
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 12, 2016
Staff very collaborative and friendly. Management micromanaged and very critical. Money minded approached. Over work the salaried staff and not hire additional staff to save money. No incentives to work harder or longer.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Management.
Lack of support from management
Clinical Research Associate II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 18, 2015
Lack of support from management, has a negative reflection of the company. I would not recommend for those who are interested in furthering their career path.
work-life balance, Good for getting experience & than move on
Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  FarmingdaleJune 6, 2015
ICL, Farmingdale ( June, 2015) ...New management is Horrible. Good People are leaving & Work is slow. If they hire than ready to leave/ lay off any time.People do not want to work certain department in Lab area. Do not leave the Job for ICL because It is worst here. ICL is not growing, not good pay, no Job Safety, no career advancement, Low Pay so students are always welcomes. In certain Department, Due to politics manager/ supervisor gives verbal & written warnings to let you go from Job.
Pros
Nice Culture
Cons
ICL Not growing, not good pay, no Job Safety, no career advancement, Low Pay
No Job Security
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Farmingdale NYSeptember 19, 2015
If you are looking for job security, this is not the place. They have a core of individuals that they never lay off--particularly those that do not have college degrees--because they will do anything as they could not go elsewhere with those titles without a degree. If you think getting a degree will improve your chances at this company, it won't because you won't be paid for the knowledge you gain from going to graduate school and gaining a fund of knowledge. Some of them tell you they have a degree, but when it comes down to it they may have attended the college, but never graduated!!!

Some employees that have been there for a very long time are very knowledgeable and work very hard; they should get a degree and move up the ladder with a pharmaceutical company, or other research laboratory.
Pros
Premises are very clean and it is a friendly place to work.
Cons
No advancement, they do not appreciate employees who are above average, and they do not invest in their employees who are their biggest asset.
Pleasant atmosphere where you can develop your skillset
Document Management Associate II (Current Employee) –  212 Church Rd, North Wales, PA 19454August 18, 2015
I index 60 time-sensitive documents a day. I mainly interact with the staff in my department. I've learned a vast amount of information from my mentors. The managers are helpful, but often bogged down with work and meeting company deadlines. The most challenging part of the job is completing work that should already be done by the document submitters. The most enjoyable part of the job is accomplishing the goals that has been set forth by the client.
Pros
Excellent work culture, wealth of information
Cons
Limited upward mobility, creative ideas
A great place to work...
DOCS Contractor (Current Employee) –  Home BasedFebruary 11, 2016
A truly great place to work, they have worked very hard to ensure that each individual has the tools they need to do their job function efficiently. Have a huge amount of training for upcoming managers.
ICON puts profits over people
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 18, 2016
ICON Clinical Research is led by an accountant that puts profits over people. Morale is on the decline as he keeps on cutting budgets while asking his employees to do more and more with less and less.
Management needs improvement
Validation Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Sugarland, TXApril 30, 2015
The company still follow the old paper documentation rather than going for all electronics and because of that it is very hard work to document all the test results, objective evidence and progress. It is too much micro management. Other departments are nice to work with. People are very friendly.
Pros
Fun company events
Cons
no personal growth, benefits are not that good.
Independent work
Associate Translation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 15, 2015
Very structured with SOPs for every necessary task in order to maintain compliance. Supportive management but disconnected Director.
Not sure how to feel ={
SSU Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 12, 2012
Overall seems like a good place to work, meaning you're not micro-managed. Management is hit or miss depending on who you report too. There are some great mangers who really know how to communicate and help you understand processes. Then there are some less tactful Managers who aren't interested in the well-being of there group and clearly there to collect a check.

The workload in all honesty is not terrible, it's hit or miss as well. There are peak times and then times were your not as busy but have a steady workload.

Advancement is ALL about "who" you know, so unfortunate for the company.

Vacation, benefits are really great!!! PAY sucks for the amount of work; the Managers get bonuses instead of the "real" workers. That's unfair because managers already make great money, reach out to "common" folks for extra money.
Pros
vacation, relaxed environment, benefits
Cons
some employees have no personality; complaining ee's; not enough functions
ICON is like a big family.. everyone works together
Study Start Up Associate II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 10, 2014
I have gained exceptional knowledge and experience during the past 16 years at ICON PLC.

My role has afforded me the experience to work on global studies as a US lead or main point of contact. My tenure, strong work ethic, flexibility, training, experience and desire to engage in exciting and challenging position, provide a strong framework that will enable me to be successful in this position.

Most recent assignment on successful Phase I Program working closely with sponsor Clinical Scientist, Medical Monitor as well as CRO Management for approximately 2 years and attended quarterly sponsor meetings via teleconference or face to face.
Pros
great benefits package
Fun work place
Cook (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 14, 2015
Nice relaxed environment, relaxed atmosphere, high security, friendly staff, good management, easy access to leave and enter parking area
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
down time
Worked at ICON as a Doc Mgmt Asst from 2005-2008
Document Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Wales, PAAugust 30, 2013
I liked the perks at ICON Clinical Research but did not care for my manager and how they continued to raise the quota. Too much work for little pay. Typical day at work involved reviewing, scanning, indexing and filing of protocol study drug documents. The hours were flexible which I liked. My co-workers were nice but so much younger than me. I associated mostly with people my own age who were mature. A lot of cliques at ICON which I did not care for. Manager was sneaky and untrustworthy. The hardest part of the job was indexing, I experienced difficulty in grasping it but they continued to raise the bar with the quotas and I was terminated. Never had this problem when I worked for the Dept of Defense for 11 years, that was a great job better than this one. I liked the filing part of the job because there was no pressure or stress in that area. I did experience a panic attack one day at my desk because I was very stressed out at work. I am on medications for that now.
Pros
one hour lunch break and good health benefits package, also vacation pay.
Cons
bad managers.
Non-Management are a good group
Annon. (Current Employee) –  PAJune 16, 2015
Once people reach management the lack of support is not the greatest. People become us vs them mentality. Lack of support when needed. Over worked and under appreciated.
Pros
The people
Cons
Great Company and work environment good people
Executive Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Wales, PADecember 26, 2012
Great Company and work environment
Great Benefits
Wonderful People - co-workers are the best
Management needs more one on one contact with employees
Cross training
Need a bonus plan
Internal Politics, fear of LAYOFFS, and little room for promotions and raises
Project Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2014
When I first started at ICON, I was thrilled to be in, what seemed like, a comfortable work environment with laid back management and good benefits. However, I soon found that there is so much internal politics. There is a huge culture of internal referrals, which mans that management and employees, and upper management are friends amongst themselves and they chose to move people up based on friendships and not on talent. The company has faced a huge round of lay offs in the past year and now when meetings are called, people are afraid of losing their jobs.

Background: The company called together a global meeting and alerted us that by the end of the day we may no longer have a job. We held another afternoon meeting at which point those that were going to be laid off had left, and talked about moving forward. Whose to say the company won't do that again?

Another huge downside is that because of lay offs and the company not being in stellar standing, there have been limited promotions and pathetic incremental increases (we're talking 0% to 3% here). Long term, this is not a company worth working for because moving up is difficult through all the politics, and even incremental increases and bonsuses are just pathetic.

On another note, the benefits are good. Health coverage is solid, and vacation time is more than most US companies, with decent maternity leave and sick time.

Overall, I do not recommend this company.
Pros
benefits: vacation time, sick time, maternity leave, health care
Cons
internal politics, little to no room for promotions and raises
overall a great company to work with
Employee (Current Employee) –  AsiaMarch 25, 2013
The company is certainly a great place to work with.
Great team members.
The job is a little challenging as most of the subordinates are fairly new to the company.
It is certainly very rewarding for me to work with people from different region.
Pros
great work life balance (work from home and long vl
Cons
management team are mostly new
Great Company
Regional HR Subject Matter Expert (Current Employee) –  North Wales, PAJune 8, 2015
ICON is a really great company to work for. They are moving to bigger and better things in the very near future. As they grow, I have a potential to continue to grow.
Too Political....
Regulatory Department Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDSeptember 25, 2012
A typical day at work is going about your duties as usual. It is an open environment so collaboration with co-workers is open and encouraged. Management is not inherent in most individuals and what I learned was if putting someone in management, be sure they have the training and abilities needed before giving the title of manager. Otherwise, it can become very awkward and difficult in the workplace for so-called managers who can't manage their way out of a paper bag. Upper management is no better in that they only look at the side of the manager with no consideration for the plight of the workers. Hardest part was the awful daily commute...most enjoyable was the convenience of being near Arundel Mills mall.
Pros
beautiful location and workplace
Cons
too political and weakness in good management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Icon plc. Our community is ready to answer.