ICON plc Employee Reviews

Good Place for Pharma/CRO experience
Clinical Trial Assistant (Current Employee) –  HOUSTONJune 18, 2013
ICON is a global company, and can feel quite compartmentalized at times. The company as a whole is a great company to work for and a great place to gain experience.
Pros
Great benefits package
Cons
Work load is quite heavy
A great place to work...
DOCS Contractor (Current Employee) –  Home BasedFebruary 11, 2016
A truly great place to work, they have worked very hard to ensure that each individual has the tools they need to do their job function efficiently. Have a huge amount of training for upcoming managers.
Great place to work...
Investigator Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  North Wales, PAOctober 1, 2013
ICON is a great place to work. The moral of the offices are wonderful. The only thing that was tough was the amount of work that the employees had to take on. It was very overwhelming at times.
Pros
benefits package
Cons
compensation
Internal Politics, fear of LAYOFFS, and little room for promotions and raises
Project Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2014
When I first started at ICON, I was thrilled to be in, what seemed like, a comfortable work environment with laid back management and good benefits. However, I soon found that there is so much internal politics. There is a huge culture of internal referrals, which mans that management and employees, and upper management are friends amongst themselves and they chose to move people up based on friendships and not on talent. The company has faced a huge round of lay offs in the past year and now when meetings are called, people are afraid of losing their jobs.

Background: The company called together a global meeting and alerted us that by the end of the day we may no longer have a job. We held another afternoon meeting at which point those that were going to be laid off had left, and talked about moving forward. Whose to say the company won't do that again?

Another huge downside is that because of lay offs and the company not being in stellar standing, there have been limited promotions and pathetic incremental increases (we're talking 0% to 3% here). Long term, this is not a company worth working for because moving up is difficult through all the politics, and even incremental increases and bonsuses are just pathetic.

On another note, the benefits are good. Health coverage is solid, and vacation time is more than most US companies, with decent maternity leave and sick time.

Overall, I do not recommend this company.
Pros
Benefits: Vacation time, Sick time, Maternity Leave, Health Care
Cons
Internal Politics, Little to NO room for promotions and raises
Excellent
Project Planning Analyst (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 14, 2012
Excellent benefits, work/life balance okay. Many positions require travel.
Project Support/Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXMay 18, 2013
This company is not well managed and has a high turnover rate.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
Icon
Study Start up Associate II (Current Employee) –  North Wales, PennsylvnaiAugust 4, 2014
pro: Great benefits, enjoyable work environment, flexible hours, compressed work weeks

cons: Lot of work without employee appreciation. Unable to work from home
Pleasant atmosphere where you can develop your skillset
Document Management Associate II (Current Employee) –  212 Church Rd, North Wales, PA 19454August 18, 2015
I index 60 time-sensitive documents a day. I mainly interact with the staff in my department. I've learned a vast amount of information from my mentors. The managers are helpful, but often bogged down with work and meeting company deadlines. The most challenging part of the job is completing work that should already be done by the document submitters. The most enjoyable part of the job is accomplishing the goals that has been set forth by the client.
Pros
Excellent work culture, wealth of information
Cons
Limited upward mobility, creative ideas
Independent work
Associate Translation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 15, 2015
Very structured with SOPs for every necessary task in order to maintain compliance. Supportive management but disconnected Director.
Too Political....
Regulatory Department Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDSeptember 25, 2012
A typical day at work is going about your duties as usual. It is an open environment so collaboration with co-workers is open and encouraged. Management is not inherent in most individuals and what I learned was if putting someone in management, be sure they have the training and abilities needed before giving the title of manager. Otherwise, it can become very awkward and difficult in the workplace for so-called managers who can't manage their way out of a paper bag. Upper management is no better in that they only look at the side of the manager with no consideration for the plight of the workers. Hardest part was the awful daily commute...most enjoyable was the convenience of being near Arundel Mills mall.
Pros
beautiful location and workplace
Cons
too political and weakness in good management
overall a great company to work with
Employee (Current Employee) –  AsiaMarch 25, 2013
The company is certainly a great place to work with.
Great team members.
The job is a little challenging as most of the subordinates are fairly new to the company.
It is certainly very rewarding for me to work with people from different region.
Pros
great work life balance (work from home and long vl
Cons
management team are mostly new
Stringent, Fast -paced, Metric Driven CRO - Quantity vs Quality - quick to burn out
Clinical Research Monitor (Former Employee) –  RegionalJune 20, 2013
Stringent, fast -paced, metric driven CRO - Quantity vs Quality - quick to burn out their people. Travel allocation for the CRA seems
typical, but they don't include the time to get to the sites and back with their requirement. No dedicated office hour time/day to get the administrative work done.
Must be on site 8 hours at least each day. Paperwork, forms, training - higher than average from what's out there and no regular office day. Management expects tasks to be completed at night - after a full day of travel and site work. Company working to be very technical with newer systems, but so many issues with transitioning and technical errors. Burned out quickly.
Pros
Managers strive to be positive, supportive and assist, but overwhelmed and strapped, many training sessions are excellent
Cons
Too many metrics, demands, training - felt pulled in many directions, studies
Fun work place
Cook (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 14, 2015
Nice relaxed environment, relaxed atmosphere, high security, friendly staff, good management, easy access to leave and enter parking area
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
down time
good place to work
Clinical Research Associate II (Former Employee) –  North Wales, PAJune 13, 2013
good place to work though no work-life balance. I learned alot at ICON. The co-workers and most managers were friendly and supportive.
Pros
no micro-management
Cons
no work - life balance
Productive and Fun place to work at. Great benefits and great job advancement.
Project Specialist/ Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Wales, PAJune 12, 2014
My typical day at work at ICON was wonderful. I would assist my director and project managers all day with there project dead lines, submit their vox file/language request for their project research studies. I would use the computer most of the day. Using outlook email and submitted emails with important deadlines through a third party portal sight. I would have to communicate with the third party portal sight a lot via phone. I would also book travel arrangements, set up conference calls, Gate meetings, order lunch for the meetings ect. I would do some filing, light scanning, mail, fax and file and most administrative duties as well. I loved the position I had there.
Non-Management are a good group
Annon. (Current Employee) –  PAJune 16, 2015
Once people reach management the lack of support is not the greatest. People become us vs them mentality. Lack of support when needed. Over worked and under appreciated.
Pros
The people
Jr. Network Administrator
Clinical Research IT Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 4, 2014
More than 10 years’ experience installing, configuring, and administering networks, infrastructure, and security solutions.
Technically astute and forward-thinking professional adept at evaluating, selecting, and implementing robust hardware, software, and equipment to support high-capacity networks. Offer exceptional troubleshooting and problem-solving skills to maintain system availability, eliminate errors, and support user needs. Articulate communicator able to interact with technical and non-technical individuals, including vendors, clients, end-users, and managers.
Great place to work.
Clinical Trials Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNApril 29, 2014
Typical day included preparing, handling, distributing, and filing clinical documentation of the trial; handling and providing clinical trial supplies to the study team and investigative sites; accurately tracking and maintaining the clinical systems of the trial as well as the recording of meeting minutes.

Clinical trials are a great benefit to Patients who have trouble affording the drugs or treatment they need. Some patients have no alternatives for treatment and permanent debilitation or death are imminent. In such cases, participation in a clinical trial may give them hope or possibilities that do not exist otherwise.
did not feel training was adequate
Clinical Data Coordinator (Former Employee) –  North Wales, PADecember 12, 2014
Start the day by entering data
I learned how to check data
Management was not active
My co-workers were great
The hardest part of the job was learning to finish a task
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to finish a project
Pros
Friends I made while I worked there
Cons
Never being thanked for special effort when project needed to be done
Great Company
Regional HR Subject Matter Expert (Current Employee) –  North Wales, PAJune 8, 2015
ICON is a really great company to work for. They are moving to bigger and better things in the very near future. As they grow, I have a potential to continue to grow.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ICON plc. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9