Idaho National Laboratory

Idaho National Laboratory Employer Reviews

First professional job from college
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Idaho Falls, IDMay 2, 2014
Pros: education, advancements available.
Cons: very hard to be hired
This company strives to have every employee advance themselves. The assist in education fees, and work around class schedules as much as possible. Multiple extra employee activities you can volunteer to do.
Fast paced Computer Support
Infrastructure Representative II (Current Employee), Idaho Falls, IdDecember 26, 2013
Pros: i learned new things every day!
Cons: nothing
A typical day at work was wonderful! I loved helping my customers and being able to figure out what they wanted before they even knew! I always had happy customers!
Highly Professional Environment with Technical Competence
Database Marketing Analyst (Former Employee), Idaho Falls, IDDecember 21, 2013
Pros: great benefits and experience coworkers
Cons: low job security due to rapidly change federal budgets
The Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is one of a dozen national laboratories located across the United States under the direction of the U.S. Department of Energy. The INL is an extremely professional organization with highly skilled technical experts. With a focus on nuclear energy and national security, the INL has the ability to leverage world-class – more... facilities to attain human capital from across the country. – less
Good job / personal life balance
Quality Engineer (Former Employee), Site and town locations convenient to Idaho FallsNovember 27, 2013
Pros: good balance of personal and professional life
Cons: fractured. no unifying sense of mission or purpose.
While INL is the top pay in the local economy, they are careful to not be over-achievers in a national scale. Overachievers must move to keep ahead of salaries being normalized to the job.

Typical corporate bene's package.

Not plagued by hire-and-fire mentality. Go ahead and buy a house.

The distribution of promotions, or lay-offs for that matter, – more... does not reflect the cross-section of the INL population, but rather, reveals an activist "affirmative action" element in the HR department.

The INL is in process of "finding itself" - and has been for more than a decade. It's nothing that a good mission would not fix. But in the interim, with the current U.S. trends away from nuclear energy, the lab suffers an identity crisis.

The DOE customer does not help a lot, as the current INL management team has persuaded them to stop acting like customers. And because it is easier that way, they seem to have agreed.

Needs an enema from the top down, but that can be said of many places, eh?

Overall, a good workplace for personal life balance. Seldom requires overtime. Unless you have children and both parents work at "site" facilities. The long bus ride and early a.m. departure time are not conducive to attentive parenting.

Job locations can be at site facilities or town, depending on what you do.

S. E. Idaho is a polarizing place. Night-clubbers will HATE it. Families like it. Outdoor types are in heaven. – less
Great opportunity to work suppliers and program managers and engineers. Developed a great relationship with suppliers.
Manager, Quality Supplier Performancer (Former Employee), Idaho Falls, IDSeptember 12, 2013
I had the privilege to enjoy working in the areas of purchasing, material requisitions, supplier evaluations and supplier delivery performance, inventory control and inventory and cost analysis.

Within the past five years, I was given the opportunity to be the project manager for an infrastructure expenditures project valued at $200 million. This entailed – more... directing project engineers and other business associates to establish schedules for completing Statements of Work (SOW), coordinating acquisitions with procurement staff, and receipt and inspection.

I was given the opportunity to develop an Approved Supplier Performance Evaluation System. The System measured the supplier's delivery performance, shortages or overages and product damage. I was asked to present the Evaluation System at two Idaho governor’s conferences and to several Department of Energy (DOE) Managing and Operating contractors. My presentations have been informative and gratefully appreciated.

I enjoyed working with the people in the Procurement organization. We were in many respects like a family. I especially enjoyed meeting and working with suppliers.

In March 2013, I was laid off due to the INL's Restructuring In Force Program. The INL management required a 25% reduction in G&A workforce.

Even leaving employment under these circumstances, I enjoyed the many years at at the INL. – less
Worst Job Ever
laborer (Former Employee), scoville, idJuly 17, 2013
Pros: health insurance
Cons: everything! esp for new grads
Worst place to work. All new grads will quit after the first year. Don't work here. I've never seen more religious discrimination, sexual discrimination, company is hypocritical, policies are constantly changing and the training is terrible, you'll work with a bunch of people who won't retire because they have no life outside of work because you spend – more... 13-14 hours working (that includes the 1-1.5 hr commuting to a hidden place out in the desert away from civilization) locked in a gated fence with no place to go and nothing to do. Management will be lenient with timecards and don't know if you are even there half the time. Then management will get demoted for signing off false timecard and you'll get fired. The only pros are the benefits. The place makes you so tired that you have no life. This is the most depressing place to work and it ruins families because of the rumors. You never get to see your family and have no time off to have a young child. The vacation/sick time policy is terrible now and if you get sick, they will convince you that there is no way you can miss work. Everyone goes to work sick and gets everyone else sick. You'll learn only what you need to get your job done. There is no learning anything new because it is the most boring place to work. If you have any interest in a family/social life, you are not mormon, and want to have a successful career path this is no place for you. It's a little job that pays good but makes no sense because you have no customers. You are simply there to satisfy the employees who will stab you in the back. If you are female you definitely don't need to be here. Every girl quits or gets fired because someone sets them up to fail. Old males gawk at you and everyone sits around and talks and pushes their work onto other people so they don't have to do anything. – less
Productive, innovative, very leaner centered
Human Resources Employee Relations Specialist (Former Employee), Idaho Falls, IDMay 7, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: commute.
Co-workers are great to work with. Enjoyable to attend work everyday. Management was constantly evolving practices.
Very poor management. very top heavy.
various positions throughout career (Former Employee), site wide as job dictatedApril 20, 2013
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: very poor management team with low moral values, hence low employee morale site wide.
Dysfunctional leadership team that expects high morals of its employees but the leadership team messes around with its employees and has affairs at headquarters. No job security. Constant dark cloud of layoffs and then hiring...and then layoffs. Too many managers. Hard work is not rewarded. Too many people refuse to work at the desert facilities so – more... the ones that do never see their town management, who are totally disconnected from their orgs, and they layoff the desert people, expecting the town people to change their behavior and commute full time to the desert. Doesn't happen.
could be an awesome place to work. General employees are awesome and professional. Helpful, hard working and team oriented. – less
A place to work
Instructional Technologist (Current Employee), Idaho Falls, IDMarch 27, 2013
Great place with great co workers, job is enjoyable
Job is challenging
Boring
driver (Former Employee), INEL, Idaho Falls, Id.February 5, 2013
Pros: met new people
Cons: working 11 months of graveyard shift
Delivered material to project and kept tract of inventory on hand
Civil Engineer (Former Employee), Idaho Falls, IDJanuary 3, 2013
Pros: variety of work
Cons: long ride
Good place to work. Long commute if assigned to desert location. Frequent changes in management. Good people to work with. Long hours and ride were the hardest part.

Learned many new things, a variety of work experiences was good.
Excellent Professionalism
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Idaho Falls, IDNovember 8, 2012
Pros: professionalism, involvement
Cons: budget cuts
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) provides opportunity for growth and advancement. There is a high focus on safety of the lab. Mangers and co-workers are a pleasure to work with.
Poor place to work
facility manager (Former Employee), idahoOctober 24, 2012
Pros: good pay in some cases
Cons: everything when hired
Great state to live in. The INL is a very poor place to work at. Most employee's that have worked there for any amount of time hate it. They are just there for a high paying job. Most managers are under qualified and only promote friends, relatives, and/or church members.

Most people at INL without degrees treat people from outside the state and/or – more... with degrees like trash that get hired in.

I have never work for a company with such a lack of leadership and disregard for formal education. They say and tell people it is all about education, but that is a complete lie when working at the INL. There is a reason it has almost been shut down multiple times, they just can figure it out with current management. – less
Good place to work.
Consulting Business Specialist (Former Employee), Idaho Falls, IdahoSeptember 17, 2012
Pros: good pay and good benefits
Cons: long communte
It is a great place to work. I worked there for 25 years. I enjoyed my various job positions. I had good managers.
I supported a Vice President. I finalized and distributed correspondance, purchased supplies and equipment, reconcilled the charge card account, managed the departments budget, took phone calls and messages. I had great mentors that lead – more... me up the ladder of my career. Management was very good. I loved and miss my co-worders. The hardest part of the job was the long communte everyday. I loved the people I worked with. They made the job easier. – less
Good work in a beautiful corner of the country
Deputy Director, R&D Support Services Division (Former Employee), Idaho Falls, IDMay 21, 2012
Pros: strong r&d leadership
Cons: aging facilities
Working to create the next generation of nuclear power generation technologies so that our grandchildren can have reliable and environmentally friendly industrial scale power.
Do not recommend working for this employer.
Senior Power System Research Engineer (Former Employee), Idaho Falls, IDApril 27, 2012
Pros: high pay for the extremely low cost of living area
Cons: no job stability, no work support.
I do not recommend this employer. They hire and fire very fast with no regard. They are dishonest about the work environment during the interview process. The work environment is very poor. They expect you to find your own projects to work on in order to charge your time to. If you charge too much time to overhead, they will lay you off.
Poor communication
Lead Superintendent (Former Employee), INLJuly 17, 2012
Pros: good wrok
Cons: to many managers.
Good work, but poor communication to the employee's. No clear lines of supervision.