Idaho State University Employee Reviews

Excellent general experience
Demonstration Technician (Former Employee), Pocatello, IDMay 11, 2015
Pros: Making a difference in the community's education, blowing things up, building new and interesting educational toys
Working as the ISU physics demo tech forced me to learn how to adapt quickly to pretty much any situation. I learned a handful of new skills that I can apply to other jobs and my life such as woodworking, soldering, time management, organizational skills and innovation.
Good Experiece
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Pocatello, IDApril 25, 2015
Learned how to work in a lab with group of people and how to apply theoretical knowledge. This learning skill helped me to apply in my further studies and develop my own research interest. Learned all the biological techniques.
I was able to work as a Teacher for computer classes. At one point I had 70 students in my class.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Pocatello, IDApril 1, 2015
Pros: Great professors and I met several local professionals as I received my MBA
Cons: Had to travel to a near by town in order to finish some of the MBA coursework, while working full time.
The Professors were very supportive and encouraged me to proceed with my MBA. They gave me a stipend and arranged for a teacher-ship for me as I continued my education.
hands on learning experience
Isu service tec. (Former Employee), Pocatello, IDFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: my boss bought me lunch every day
Cons: had no breaks besides a 30 min lunch
I was working construction and I was ryunnig the skill saw and i measured wrong and had to restart my project co- workers laughed and i just minded my own business and fixed the job and did it right.although I enjoy construction work because u are always learning and bettering yourself.
Casual and productive
Housing Painter (Former Employee), Pocatello, IDJanuary 25, 2015
Work was easy but no opportunity for growth or placement higher up.
Fun work place
Office Specialist (Former Employee), Boise, IDJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: people
Cons: temp job
Opened up the building for students and faculty got computers and classrooms up and running for the professors, I backed up all professors with entering data on the computer that they needed to do their work during the day, answered multi-lined phones and directed calls. Got along with everyone and they threw me a going away party was only suppose to be a three month temp job that ended up being over a year. The hardest part of my job was leaving all the great people I got to know.
Energetic and happy enviorment
Administrative Asst (Former Employee), Idaho Falls, IDJanuary 21, 2015
I had a list of several task varying from going somewhere to being at an office desk. Some days in the office I would do a lot of online filing and also hands on fling. Then make several spreadsheets for events or trips that were coming up. Was able to obtain many computer skills.
Great learning experience to start off with for networking
Cable Installer (Current Employee), Pocatello, IDJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: semi-flexible hours, major learning experience
Cons: no major benefits as a student cable installer
A typical day is going in and either learning what new projects are to be done or to continue projects. I learned a lot from the environment and from co-workers and management who were willing to help with different problems and learning experience. The hardest part of the job is when we have a deadline with certain projects we work at it for as long as it takes. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning many things to help me with work experience for my future, another thing was going around campus to fix or install new cables, switches, end points, or access points and seeing parts of campus not usually seen by everyone.
Great experience
Work-Study/Research Assistant (Former Employee), Pocatello, IDJanuary 15, 2015
Geoscience Department is very helpful and great at finding educational work that needs to be done.
good
Student (Current Employee), Pocatello, IDNovember 20, 2014
learned skills that applied directly to my field, was very helpful.
Often challenging and more often rewarding.
Maintenance and Operations Supervisor (Current Employee), Pocatello, IDNovember 18, 2014
Pros: flexibility, education opportunities, advancement
Cons: too much to do in too little time.
I loved my job(s) because I approached them with a sense of ownership, with the attitude "the buck stops here". If I was confused with a policy I was not afraid to ask a question and if there was no policy then I helped with the creation of one in order to ensure the best possible customer service attitude and service to the customer, or end user. On a typical day I would arrive at work at 7:00 a.m. and begin my walk through of the facilities to assess the most current needs and to evaluate the condition of the facilities. I would meet with staff and go over the details of the previous evening shift, guestroom and meeting room usage and the current reported concerns.

Delegation of priority responsibilities to staff for the day. I would then read current emails, or directives and send emails to the directors etc concerning facility updates.

I would do a quick inventory of supplies and requests for parts and order as needed. With replacement or repair parts it ofter required to the reading through operation manuals and order parts based upon part numbers for equipment.

I would review code information and meet with code officials as needed and do a walk through with them to do an assessment to ensure we were not in violation somewhere within the facilities.

I would work on budget expenses and budget planning and attend required meetings.

I also met with other department heads to evaluate departmental needs or concerns that had come to their attention.

Often I would review security tapes in the event an incident had happened and make notes to discuss with the director concerning security issues.

I also reviewed the Maintenance Management Systems and adjusted or set schedules for facilities needs in environmental controls.
The employer provided an excellent workplace with adequate compensation for a student employee
Information Technology Technician (Former Employee), Pocatello, IDNovember 2, 2014
Pros: very flexible work schedule, fantastic management and an environment which pushed me to excel and learn.
Cons: lack of benefits
The IT job I held for the College of Science and Engineering was specifically tailored to provide work experience and flexible hours for a student employee. They provided an automatic ticket system in which professors could send an email to a department-specific address with their computer or network related problem and it would be added to a list of tickets we were actively working on.

The first thing I would do on a typical work day was check the active tickets which I had been working on previous days but had not yet completed; often times other employees would continue on with jobs that I had started and finish them while I was away. I would then check all the active tickets that other employees had started to see if I could conclude the required work and return the computer to the customer.

Our staff included one secretary, six technicians and two full-time managers. The secretary would monitor all active tickets and assign workload accordingly. The two managers, being the only full time employees in the department, would handle the larger networking problems and enforce department policy on software licensing and server use. The technicians handled all service calls and computer problems.
"MIT of the West"
Research Chemist (Former Employee), Pocatello, IDSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: mostly nice folks, varied research
Cons: incompetenet and insufferable administration.
...or so the current President would like to have you believe he is trying to make out of ISU. It really would be easier to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. While such intentions may seem laudable, anyone familiar with ISU knows how truly laughable they are. The current President is ruining the university by chasing-off talented faculty who dare disagree with him (this is well-documented, just search "ACADEMIC SENATE" + VAILAS + ISU). Benefits are good, but pay and morale are low. Most administrators are either sycophants of the current President or must think the Fascism is a good way to run a University. Most staff and faculty are doing their best to weather the current storm, and have a sense of shared misery. If you keep your head down and your mouth shut you may not get noticed by the Admin. When you see a problem keep it to yourself or you will be looking for work soon thereafter.
Great school in which students can work and attend school at the same time
Student NMR Technician (Former Employee), Pocatello, IDAugust 20, 2014
Pros: fit school schedule
Working with lower level students to help run instruments and interpret data. This taught me how to teach students the fundamentals of these techniques so they could eventually run these experiments by themselves and interpret their own data.
good opportunity to learn
Student (Former Employee), Idaho Falls, IDJuly 27, 2014
Pros: education
Cons: business office
Offered a good opportunity to learn and embrace diversity. Business office could use some training in accounting and communication.
Busy Clinical Laboratory
Lab Assistant/Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Pocatello, IDMay 31, 2014
Pros: patient care contact
Cons: not permanent position
Going to school and working part - time allowed me the wonderful experience of working in the Student Health Clinic Laboratory.
My Medical Technologist supervisor taught me an amazing amount of laboratory information in a short amount of time. I enjoyed working with the microscope identifying cells. Working with young idealistic students was both uplifting and exciting. I learned how to apply my maternal instincts to assure them that I would make their blood draw as comfortable and quick as possible. Hours passed very quickly as I was constantly running tests and obtaining and processing blood samples. I resigned this position to work full time.
Good job but time to move on.
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF ENGLISH (Current Employee), IdahoMay 17, 2014
Good job but time to move on. Not the best leadership here. Some good people/employees, though.
Relaxed workplace with many educational opportunities
Language Lab attendant (Former Employee), Foreign Languages DepartmentMay 16, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule, work study compatible
Cons: part-time only
This job is work-study only, first of all, so it's only available to students with financial aid based on need. With that out of the way, the work is often relaxed, with plenty of free time to work on homework, study, or do whatever else you find appropriate for student pursuits. There are also plenty of books and videos filled with foreign languages and cultures, ripe for the viewing.
The director of the Language Lab is a sweet and understanding, if sometimes highly stressed, woman who asks nothing more than doing your job based on the guidelines presented upon hiring and discussed in the semester staff meetings. Sometimes coworkers may fail to follow these guidelines, which can cause major backups in productivity, but otherwise the faculty is enjoyable to work with.
Internship
Student (Former Employee), Idaho FallsApril 27, 2014
I really enjoyed being a student. I love learning and I loved being in college. I would still be in school if it was not for finances.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Pocatello, IDMarch 17, 2014
I have worked as a research assistant at ISU and I really loved working there.