Idaho State University Employee Reviews

A fun and educational environment.
Administrative, Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, Idaho 83209September 29, 2017
I enjoyed working for Idaho State University for over 14 years. I loved working with students, staff, and faculty. It was a fun and great atmosphere. I would still be working there if I didn't have to retire early to take care of my elderly mother and very sick husband. Both passed away last year.
Pros
Discounted Education, friendships, students of all kinds and a stress free work environment.
Cons
Breaks, lunch hour, health care and free activities. Opportunities to teach classes.
Very Supportive
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) (Current Employee) –  Pocatello, IDSeptember 11, 2017
The workplace is really relaxed and yet competitive. The faculty and the professors are always there to help even after their office hours. The department always tries to help any student with the courses, scholarships or anything that will help the students.
Good place
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDAugust 25, 2017
Nuclear engineering department at ISU is awesome.
The hardest part of the job is that when report is due, everyone had to work very hard to get it done.
Typical government employment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDAugust 19, 2017
I worked several positions at Idaho State University. However, they were all student position that helped me get through school. I can't give much insight. Most positions here are typical hourly government jobs that are very bureaucratic. The President seems to have no idea what he is doing.
Amazing change to further education and professional skills
Global Leadership Program Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDJuly 29, 2017
ISU has provided me with affordable education, as well as professional growth. Great for any students looking for smaller class sizes and an accommodating university.
Overall, my area was a good place to work.
Research Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDJuly 28, 2017
Overall, ISU has challenges in keeping motivated personnel, as management does not offer much incentive to stay motivated. Qualified personnel will often look to accept positions at other, more prestigious institutions, while others are satisfied with mediocrity.
Pros
No comment
Cons
No comment
Easy going work environment
Test Handling Administrator (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDJuly 23, 2017
Working at the university was a wonderful experience. My co-workers ended up becoming more like family by the time I ended working there. It was a very low stress environment which made work something to look forward to.
I absolutely love this job.
Costume Technician (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDJuly 22, 2017
It's closer to an internship but I honestly loved the coworkers and the work environment. It's what I'm going to school for so I enjoy getting paid doing what I love.
Pros
Positive work environment, flexible, expands my knowledge and creativity.
Cons
Minimum wage, only 20 hours a week, only offered during the school term.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Pocatello, IDJune 26, 2017
Idaho State University is a relaxing place to work. A typical day was teaching students concepts in biology. I learned how to give lectures in groups of people. The management was great and always has your back. Everyone here is extremly friendly. Hardest part was sometimes figuring out what professors wanted you to teach. The most enjoyable part was the students.
Pros
Pay increases
Job security.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDJune 16, 2017
I enjoyed the people I worked with, but I was constantly worried about being let go for the smallest reasons. There was always something extra that needed to be done, but never any type of reward.
The work gives an opportunity for one to extend his or her knowledge
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDJune 16, 2017
Since Mathematics is my life, working here was a blast. I enjoyed that fact that I had to work with students of different struggling background in mathematics. The work gave me an opportunity to extend my learning and knowledge at the same time contributing to the community by helping others to achieve their dreams.
Mathematics is just an awesome field..... Nothing can compare!!!
Pros
Pretty much own boss, doing everything
Cons
low pay
Good People, no forward vision
Manager (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDJune 12, 2017
Great people, politics are frustrating. If you work here, please take advantage of the employee tuition reduction. A lot of good people work there but don't expect internal advancement.
Pros
Good people
Cons
No vision for the future
Student-run program; learning ground
Director, Content Area Tutoring Program (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDJune 6, 2017
I held every position in this student-run tutoring program at one time or another from peer tutor through program director. Oversight was through a professional staff/faculty position who directed the larger learning support center that included other programs like a math lab, writing center, study skills courses, and ESOL. Moving up in this way was very helpful, as I came to know the ins and outs of all of the positions. That made me a better director. I was treated well by the professional staff and allowed to direct my program but didn't have any real supervisory guidance that in retrospect would have been very helpful as a developing professional.
Pros
GTA position with tuition benefit
Cons
Not much professional guidance
Excellent Director and Faculty
ESL Instructor (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDJune 1, 2017
Management is great. Work/Life balance is appreciated and makes for a relaxing environment. Work availability depends on student enrollment which can fluctuate dramatically.
Pros
Flexible hours
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDMay 30, 2017
Being a teaching assistant is a worthwhile experience that allows students to increase their knowledge in core subjects, review course material, and work with peers.
Productive and fun workplace with talented and awesome people
Stitcher (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDMay 30, 2017
An amazing place to work everyday. I learned how to construct costumes and learned about different fabric, needle, and thread types. Loved working for all of those in charge because they were never rude or super bossy. Hardest part was making sure things were done correctly. Most enjoyable part was working with the people there and getting to create masterpieces.
Not a great environment and LOW pay.
NetIQ Identity and Access Management Developer (Current Employee) –  Information Technology ServicesMay 11, 2017
Some good people here, but the Administration has issues and the pay is WAY too low for what you are expected to know and accomplish. Not a lot of room for growth either.
Pros
Plenty of vacation and sick time, and willing to work with family emergencies and such.
Cons
Underpaid, Understaffed, and Underwhelming.
Nice atmosphere
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDApril 28, 2017
Nice atmosphere, great colleagues, but very low pay. Rural place, but close to skiing. The university values some disciplines over others, but this is nothing new.
A bit cliquish, but otherwise a pretty good place to work.
Creative Productions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDApril 4, 2017
I worked at ISU for almost exactly one year. Generally, I found it a good place to work, however the staff & administration are largely comprised of members from one specific religion that is prominent in the area, and I found them to be nice, but difficult to break in with. Otherwise, a pretty nice place to work.
Pros
Lots of fun after-hours activities
Cons
Really, really low pay.
Intern
Mechanical Engineering Lab Tech. (Current Employee) –  Pocatello, IDApril 2, 2017
Great experience, On the job training. The ability to learn from professionals. A great place to learn leadership and skill development.Very good management.
Pros
hands on
Cons
no benefits