IDEXX Laboratories Employee Reviews in United States

I'd recommend IDEXX
Data Services Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIMarch 10, 2016
If I could take my current job with me wherever I went, I would. The benefits are great, the yearly advancements are slow but reliable. I enjoy my co-workers and my time at work. We are encouraged to take care and provide good customer service.

On the other hand, like any large corporation, occasionally upper management makes decisions that are out-of-touch. Promotion opportunities are limited outside of the headquarters in Westbrook, ME.

Good news is our general manager has a relationship with us, and I can tell he is a true believer in the cause.
Pros
relaxed working environment, good compensation, great health insurance
Cons
Mercucial upper management
do your self a favor and keep looking
night time processor (Former Employee) –  Worthington, OHJune 27, 2016
one of the worst places I have ever worked. if you have any education or intelligence do not work @ this location on the night shift. the team lead is ignorant and the day shift management isn't any better. the lab has a fantastic turn around time for it's clients because the lab techs/processors work long hours with no breaks. the only positive to this job was the benefits, they were wonderful, but not worth all the negatives of this job.
benefits
Cons
constant mandatory overtime, no breaks, horrible team lead
Management fails employees at every turn
Worker (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 31, 2016
Idexx would be ideal if the managers/supervisors realized that the EMPLOYEES are the core of their success. As they sit in their offices or as of late on their beach vacation soaking in all the amenities that were earned on our backs, they should reconsider the policies and procedures that they email to each other all day. Maybe someone should populate a chart that explains why the turnover rate is so high ...great question
Pros
"Treats" as they were called; rewards
Cons
INEFFICIENT MANAGEMENT
Gossip and bully central
Temporary Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COJuly 7, 2016
Was a temporary worker for someone on maternity leave. High turnover rate, management are bullies and never listen to their employees. There are some real great people there but saw time and time again gossip circles and whispering. If I wanted to be back in high school, then I would work at subway. Save your time and dont apply.
Pros
Steady check
Cons
Unprofessional, gossiping hen house, bullying, management and employees very disconnected
Disappointed, Cold and Unfriendly
Digital Radiography (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire WiSeptember 13, 2015
A former employee years ago, I came back. All is changed.
In the first week, 40 people were let go out of entire department.
Attended 4 weeks of training - our trainer was outstanding.
The customer service training was a circus.
My first days on the phone - there were two lead technicians who were bullies.
You attend 4 weeks of training and then expected to know everything.
When I worked there before, took 2 months to get up to speed.
You are drilled and they are relentless.
The 2nd day, I had enough and explained what happened to my manager.
Who likes her job and you are just an employee.
I left.
The HR person contacted me and explained what happened in voice mail/email - no response back.
Did not receive an apology from co-workers, management or HR.
Very cold environment.
Go if you want a paycheck, otherwise find a nice job.
Pros
Cons
Cold, unfriendly
IDEXX in general is a great organization
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  West CoastApril 20, 2016
Healthy organization, great benefits, challenging work. Important to make sure you assimilate well with the appropriate people who have an impact on your career and $$$. This may be difficult as you may not completely be on board with those people, but it is necessary to survive.
Pros
Great benefits, awesome operations colleagues
Cons
Disconnect between corporate and field locations
Horrible environment/ great benifits
Specimen Processor I (Former Employee) –  Memphis,TNMarch 13, 2015
The moral is extremely low and the management is horrible. There is an extreme amount of micromanaging and the coworkers are kind at first but they quickly turn against anyone trying to move forward. All of the blame comes back to the processor and write ups are quick to come by. There are a lot of unnecessary and unfair rules that do not protect the employee. I found the job to be uncomfortable and unstable. There is the looming feeling that you are easily replaced and any moment is a chance to get fired. The only good part is the pay and benifits but that doesn't fix the harsh reality that this is the worst place to work.
Pros
benifits
Cons
micromanaging and horrible coworkers
Growth Company
Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILJanuary 13, 2016
Dynamic, growth company with services provided to veterinarians. Great staff.
Great applications of human medicine to the veterinary community.
Pros
good salary and benefits
Interesting and fast paced
Specimen Processor (Current Employee) –  Memphis,TNSeptember 30, 2015
Fast paced but interesting. Easier to learn if you try. Multiple steps to the best outcome but you must follow them for the most accurate results. It is all about the clients and customers. You see a lot when processing. Idexx deals with animal specimen only so we see various samples. One time there was a whole dog's head coming in for rabies testing. Overall great place to work especially if you are full time. Part time does not really get any benefits but starting pay is great
Pros
They do different lunches for employees near the holidays and also show appreciations with food
Cons
Really short breaks and part time does not get any benefits
Eclectic Mix of employee styles with a place for everybody
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Westbrook, MEMay 23, 2016
Idexx labs is a very diverse work environment that is environmentally conscious, cares about their employees well being, and provides generously to help maintain a good work/life balance.

The best employer I have ever worked for
Changing Environment
Dining Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Westbrook, MENovember 20, 2015
Most of my tenure was a blast. I know I brought significant value to the business and was recognized for doing so. I built a team that remains one of the best of my career. Upon reflection, the company has grown are record pace which can be unsettling.
Pros
Free coffee and the best food in Portland Me
Challenging environment/Overnight Work
Medical Laboratory Technician III (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDMarch 12, 2015
This job is challenging if you enter from the veterinary office type field, but if you enter from a laboratory it is more adjusting to an animal environment. We run about 1200-2000 samples per night with projected growth throughout this year. This is overnight work usually from 11pm - 8am, however schedules are staggered to meet the needs of the clients and the workload.

Depending on what job you have you may run any of the machines including, Sysmex CBC Machines, Atlas Urinalysis machine, Olympus Chemistry Machines or Hamilton Elisa Machine (getting in the next couple of months). There is also specimen processing where you check in and accession all the samples prior to being tested.

There is a pretty high turnover rate in this field because a lot of people prefer to work day shifts or realize that this type of position is not for them.

Management is somewhat challenging. While they listen to new ideas it is much harder to implement them. They will work with you if you are flexible with them. Some people appear to work harder then others.
Pros
Benefits, Opportunity for growth, pay scale
Cons
Management, Turn Over Rate
Good benefits and good working enviroment.
Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 11, 2016
Team work great and like the way they provide good training to employees. Everyday new ideas because we work on various specimen. The hardest part when working with slow staff which leads to low productivity.
Hard work is rewarded ten fold!
Histotechnian II (Current Employee) –  Grafton, MAJune 15, 2015
Idexx is very busy, very fast paced, and I love it! Everyone pitches in and works hard to get the job done. Management is supportive and hard work does reap its benefits. The day flies by. The environment in the lab is very busy - but also very friendly. I love it here and wouldn't consider working anywhere else ☺️
Pros
Great coworkers, great benefits, opportunity to improve current skills and to learn new skills.
Cons
Days can be long if you are not prepared to work!
Poor Management/Leadership & Communication
Client Support (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 14, 2014
Steer clear of this company if you possibly can, the corporate hacks are out in force here and there is little hope of ever advancing if you are stuck in Customer Support for example. The company consistently loses hard workers who see no way of getting further in their careers.

Communication is poor between the different departments of the company and in many instances, management and supervisors have no experience on how to do their subordinates job and therefore cannot understand the stresses and requirements of those working beneath them.

Training is almost non existent and corporate red tape prevents anything from getting done quickly, if at all. Poor software management also leads to regular failures that anger clients and lack of staffing leads to extra stress put on the least paid in the company.
Pros
healthcare benefits.
Cons
lack of communication, management and corporate beauracracy.
Great company overall, with some challenges
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Westbrook, MaineAugust 28, 2012
IDEXX is a financially solid company with good business strategy and strong leadership at the top. Employees appreciate being part of a company that does good things (helping veterinarians practice better medicine). Compensation is generally pretty fair although people relocating to Maine from other areas should be aware that Maine is not part of the greater Boston area. IDEXX is almost 30 years old but is culturally more like a teenage company--in the sense of having grown and changed so much over the last few years that infrastructure, processes etc haven't always caught up. Those who appreciate a challenge, and can tolerate a degree of ambiguity and flux, may well find ways to grow their careers along with the company.
Pros
good benefits. financially secure. maine hq is in a great location.
Cons
pace of change can be exhausting. work-life balance a challenge at times.
Good Company to work at if you dont mind working GY and rotating Sats
Specimen Processor (Current Employee) –  West SacramentoJuly 2, 2015
Co workers are nice and friendly.
Very fast paced environment which I have no problem with
Great shift diff pay and PTO hours
Pros
PTO, shift diff, bonuses, annual pay raise
Cons
schedule
Great place to work!
Laboratory Technologist (Former Employee) –  West Sacramento, CAAugust 21, 2012
I worked at IDEXX Laboratories for over 17 years and always found it a great place to work. My co-workers were fantastic, management was fair and the job was FUN!! My particular supervisor was awesome and not a micro-manager. If you know your job and work hard, you WILL be rewarded. As a matter of fact, I left the company for a couple of years and I missed it so much I went back! I very much appreciated the fact that they allowed me to cross-train in all the departments so I would atay challenged. It was a good place to work and I really miss it there. I made lifelong friends there and loved the fact that I was helping animals and their owners. It's a very gratifying feeling and our clients were great. If I were asked by a friend if I would recommend them as an employer I would not hesitate to say YES!! They were a wonderful employer.
Pros
management is fair, coffee is free and it's good! allow employees to have input in decisions made. pay is competitive.
Cons
i preferred united healthcare over aetna.
horrible place to work
specimen processor (Former Employee) –  memphis, tnAugust 17, 2012
This is the equivalent to a sweat shop. The managers are believers in Theory X meaning that will work directly over your shoulder, micro-management at its worst. There is little room for vertical advancement only horizontal shifts between departments. Most of the positions require you to work eight-hour shifts during 3rd shift. There is no flexibility in hours despite the fact this company advertises in black and white via the employee handbook that they believe in work-life balance. The operation manager walks around the lab all night watching you. It is equally difficult to get any time off. Most employees simply pretend to be sick around holidays and pay days forcing those who come to work to work extra hard. Lastly, the way that Idexx does it's payroll cuts off your pay at 12-13 days meaning your expected take home pay will be short every pay period. Incompetent, ghetto employees fill these jobs. I encourage you to run away from applying to this company.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everythingg
Great place to work. An employer who values it's employees and their education and experience.
Research Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  Westbrook, MESeptember 20, 2014
I have enjoyed working for IDEXX. I have and am still learning the ins and outs of research and development of veterinary laboratory diagnostics. It's a great place to work with excellent benefits, but most of their employees have started out as temps and being a temporary employee does not guarantee permanent employment with benefits. I really have enjoyed every aspect about working for the company. It has allowed me to branch out into new avenues from my many years as a medical technologist working in the human aspect of the science. Management is great, the coworkers I enjoy working with. Just a great place to work if you can get your foot in the door and eventually become hired as a full time, permanent employee with full benefits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IDEXX Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.