IDEXX LABORATORIES Employee Reviews

Zero Stars actually. I'm being nice
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  West Sacramento, CaliforniaSeptember 21, 2012
Don't work here if you care about your sanity. Management is a nightmare. They hire people that look the part but are not at all qualified to manage. If they happen to have a decent manager, their horrible employees run them out with harrassment. You can work nearly double shifts for an entire pay period to months on end and when you look at your check, you'll have a quarter of you're owned and you'll have to fight with them to give you your money as they will try to tell you to wait until the next pay period. This place is a sweat shop and has a high turnover of employees. If you are hired be sure to get a formal offer that outlines ALL of your benefits, whether you are part-time, and your pay with differentials, so that you don't later find out they had you listed as part-time when you were working nearly 14 hours a day. If you find yourself being stiffed out of a regular raise each year and overlooked for promotions, it's probably because you are not young and cute enough, nevermind that you might be one of there best employees who holds everything together. Sounds tough? It is an honest and deserved critique. Even professors at the local colleges advise not to work for this place. But if you decide to give it a try, revisit this post when you can't take working there anymore so I can say....I told you so.
You'd be better served working somewhere that values your work ethic and cares about quality and honesty. Idexx is not that place however.
Cons
everything
Great technology and solutions you can believe in.
REGIONAL MANAGER - NORTHWEST REGION (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 1, 2014
A typical week as a manager will include an effort of over 80 hrs given the time taken for travel.

Working with a team of seven direct reports and an additional 7-9 indirect reports while covering 8 states has its challenges. There was no real insight into the P&L and high levels of profits helped reduce concerns around costs when making decisions.

The company aided in my eduction around Companion Animal Care. The benefits of selling to veterinarians vs selling to doctors is significant. Especially given the lack of paperwork required in tracking your efforts for HIPAA or Insurance company requirements. They provide excellent training in a group setting as well as with a significant on line library.

The people inside of Idexx is a mixed bag. They are going through a ton of change currently and not putting much value in those that are successful. There is still a huge group of great people inside the organization but with emphasis to bring in others to lead from outside the organization the culture is changing rapidly.

I personally love working with a team of people who all believe that the solutions represented are the best in class. The technology that ties them together puts Idexx clearly ahead of all competition.
Pros
best in class products
Cons
leadership transitions, a belief that external candidates are more valuable than the people currently on staff.
Nice work enviroment but job secuity is questionable
Hematology Customer Service (Former Employee) –  1 Thomas Drive Westbrook, MaineMarch 12, 2012
I was hired on a while back for customer service, once i was there for about 2 weeks i was told what dept i would be working with. i was chosen for hematology. i had no science, biology / chemistry background but i was eager to learn and do a great job for them. there were 2 evaluations that determined your employment. the first comes about 1 month after starting and i passed with flying colors and the 2nd came a little after the second month where your expected to be all most perfect on the phone helping people with what i refer as my major (hematology). you only have less then 2 weeks at that point to perfect the way you do your job. i for one failed and i was let go, i feel unjustly. most companies would give a new employee between 3 and 6 months once training was complete but not IDEXX. i still feel IDEXX is a great company but im not impressed with there training practices. they make it seem like they will work with you until you get it, until you understand it but in the end it comes down to survival of the fittest, you either understand it exactly and be able to talk with DR's, lab techs like an expert. this is what they expect of you or you find your self back on the unemployment line wondering what you could have done differently and praying you find another position some where else and quick.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
training practices, false hope
Oracle Resume
Oracle Developer (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIAugust 6, 2012
• Analyzed and overviewed the database design for better understanding the relations, associations and dependencies within the database.
• Discussed and analyzed business functionality with the client and the developers.
• Generated SQL and PL/SQL scripts to install create and drop database objects including Tables, Views, Primary Keys, Indexes, Constraints, Sequences and Synonyms.
• Developed and modified PL/SQL packages, procedures and functions as per customer requirement to make new enhancements or resolve problems.
• Wrote complex SQL queries to retrieve information from the databases depending on user requirement.
• Created PL/SQL program units to implement DML and DDL statements using Dynamic SQL.
• Used Merge statements to select rows from one or more sources for updating and inserting into one or more tables.
• Extensively used for all and bulk collect to fetch large volumes of data from tables.
• Created triggers to automatically populate different tables and also to restrict the data being inserted to the tables.
• Created Bitmap Indexes on low cardinality columns as they result in reduced response time for queries and substantial reduction of storage space.
• Wrote control files and loaded data into the Oracle database with SQL*Loader.
• Wrote complex Oracle SQLqueries using joins, sub queries and correlated sub queries.
Fun place to work, a great team experience
VETERINARY SYSTEMS CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Maine, MEOctober 17, 2013
IDEXX promotes individual diagnostic products as well as a totally integrated technology that t requires rep's to work together to implement a fully paperless hospital solution.

IDEXX was a fun place to be employed because I worked closely with a team to target accounts, prospect and then close $135k-$175k contracts.

The hardest part of the job was that I managed 13 states that aligned with 16 rep's and 2 regional managers. So, in addition to managing my individual sales duties, I also had a large team to coordinate with. To overcome this challenge, I had to learn how to work closely with my team, have a high level of communication and support each others sales in a way that we all won!

My favorite part of the job was that I had a lot of responsibility and I was able to manage my schedule in a way that allowed to achieve the goals that were set for me. I am a natural self starter and goal oriented, so this style of management suited me well.

In addition, I loved the travel so that I could not only see the country but also meet many business owners that practiced differently. Through observation, I was allowed to understand many styles of workflows and management styles that I could then share with my clients as best practices.
Pros
teamwork, responsibility, travel
Cons
13 state territory
Challenging environment/Overnight Work
Medical Laboratory Technician III (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDMarch 12, 2015
This job is challenging if you enter from the veterinary office type field, but if you enter from a laboratory it is more adjusting to an animal environment. We run about 1200-2000 samples per night with projected growth throughout this year. This is overnight work usually from 11pm - 8am, however schedules are staggered to meet the needs of the clients and the workload.

Depending on what job you have you may run any of the machines including, Sysmex CBC Machines, Atlas Urinalysis machine, Olympus Chemistry Machines or Hamilton Elisa Machine (getting in the next couple of months). There is also specimen processing where you check in and accession all the samples prior to being tested.

There is a pretty high turnover rate in this field because a lot of people prefer to work day shifts or realize that this type of position is not for them.

Management is somewhat challenging. While they listen to new ideas it is much harder to implement them. They will work with you if you are flexible with them. Some people appear to work harder then others.
Pros
Benefits, Opportunity for growth, pay scale
Cons
Management, Turn Over Rate
Responsibilities
Business Administrator (Former Employee) –  Westbrook, MESeptember 22, 2014
Responsible for leadership, mentoring, and training 4 Administrative Assistance each providing support to various lines of business totaling 480 employees encompassing Markham, Canada, Westbrook, Maine, and Eau Clair, Wisconsin within areas of customer support, sales, business development, corporate training, data analyst, quality and control. Other responsibilities, but not limited to include budget planning, cost control management and analysis, project planning including execution and sustainability related to process improvements in support of business goals, program development and execution of positive employee and customer experience programs, cost reduction, corporate on-line newsletter, facility liaison relating to desk assignments, reconstruction of business areas, housekeeping and building maintenance initiation and follow through, corporate and employee event planning onsite and offsite, confidential correspondence and document handling.
horrible place to work
specimen processor (Former Employee) –  memphis, tnAugust 17, 2012
This is the equivalent to a sweat shop. The managers are believers in Theory X meaning that will work directly over your shoulder, micro-management at its worst. There is little room for vertical advancement only horizontal shifts between departments. Most of the positions require you to work eight-hour shifts during 3rd shift. There is no flexibility in hours despite the fact this company advertises in black and white via the employee handbook that they believe in work-life balance. The operation manager walks around the lab all night watching you. It is equally difficult to get any time off. Most employees simply pretend to be sick around holidays and pay days forcing those who come to work to work extra hard. Lastly, the way that Idexx does it's payroll cuts off your pay at 12-13 days meaning your expected take home pay will be short every pay period. Incompetent, ghetto employees fill these jobs. I encourage you to run away from applying to this company.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everythingg
Great place to work!
Laboratory Technologist (Former Employee) –  West Sacramento, CAAugust 21, 2012
I worked at IDEXX Laboratories for over 17 years and always found it a great place to work. My co-workers were fantastic, management was fair and the job was FUN!! My particular supervisor was awesome and not a micro-manager. If you know your job and work hard, you WILL be rewarded. As a matter of fact, I left the company for a couple of years and I missed it so much I went back! I very much appreciated the fact that they allowed me to cross-train in all the departments so I would atay challenged. It was a good place to work and I really miss it there. I made lifelong friends there and loved the fact that I was helping animals and their owners. It's a very gratifying feeling and our clients were great. If I were asked by a friend if I would recommend them as an employer I would not hesitate to say YES!! They were a wonderful employer.
Pros
management is fair, coffee is free and it's good! allow employees to have input in decisions made. pay is competitive.
Cons
i preferred united healthcare over aetna.
High turnover and burnout rate
Support Consultant (Former Employee) –  WestbrookMay 15, 2012
I worked several years ago as a support consultant. I left a great job to take the job at IDEXX, a job that I could not get back if I left. I was told I would be going into a training group for tech support, one step above SC level, but on my first day, they told me I would remain a support consultant and "maybe" move up "eventually". I also made LESS money than I was originally told. The training was a joke, six weeks with a less than qualified trainer and then thrown on the phones with angry customers. Constant management breathing down your neck to take calls, take calls, take calls...you can't work fast enough for them, ever. Don't get me started on "magic training" for phone manners...also a nitpicky joke. I left after 8 months. Of the 20 people in my training session, three were left when I quit. Within a year, everyone was gone. Take this job only if you have no other options. Do NOT leave a decent job for this joke.
Pros
full time, benefits right away
Cons
pretty much everything else
Positive and Productive environment
Histology Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 11, 2014
My period at IDEXX was exceptional. There was never a dull moment and always busy, which I prefer. The management had high turnover rate but my time there I enjoyed my management staff. My supervisor incorporated celebrating birthday month, would check on you personally or come by your home if severely ill, and huddle time was mandated before shift starts which helped resolve any discrepancies. The hardest part of the job was if a specimen was missing and the clients were perturbed about it. Of course I resolved the issue because that was my job, but I despised having to call a clinic and explain the sample was missing and need a recollect. Overall the most enjoyable part was when we ran various races in the community or did some form of community outreach.
Pros
community efforts, making tat, and meeting various people from other idexx locations throughout the countries.
Cons
high turn over rate in management.
Poor Management/Leadership & Communication
Client Support (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 14, 2014
Steer clear of this company if you possibly can, the corporate hacks are out in force here and there is little hope of ever advancing if you are stuck in Customer Support for example. The company consistently loses hard workers who see no way of getting further in their careers.

Communication is poor between the different departments of the company and in many instances, management and supervisors have no experience on how to do their subordinates job and therefore cannot understand the stresses and requirements of those working beneath them.

Training is almost non existent and corporate red tape prevents anything from getting done quickly, if at all. Poor software management also leads to regular failures that anger clients and lack of staffing leads to extra stress put on the least paid in the company.
Pros
healthcare benefits.
Cons
lack of communication, management and corporate beauracracy.
Great company overall, with some challenges
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Westbrook, MaineAugust 28, 2012
IDEXX is a financially solid company with good business strategy and strong leadership at the top. Employees appreciate being part of a company that does good things (helping veterinarians practice better medicine). Compensation is generally pretty fair although people relocating to Maine from other areas should be aware that Maine is not part of the greater Boston area. IDEXX is almost 30 years old but is culturally more like a teenage company--in the sense of having grown and changed so much over the last few years that infrastructure, processes etc haven't always caught up. Those who appreciate a challenge, and can tolerate a degree of ambiguity and flux, may well find ways to grow their careers along with the company.
Pros
good benefits. financially secure. maine hq is in a great location.
Cons
pace of change can be exhausting. work-life balance a challenge at times.
Disappointed, Cold and Unfriendly
Digital Radiography (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire WiSeptember 13, 2015
A former employee years ago, I came back. All is changed.
In the first week, 40 people were let go out of entire department.
Attended 4 weeks of training - our trainer was outstanding.
The customer service training was a circus.
My first days on the phone - there were two lead technicians who were bullies.
You attend 4 weeks of training and then expected to know everything.
When I worked there before, took 2 months to get up to speed.
You are drilled and they are relentless.
The 2nd day, I had enough and explained what happened to my manager.
Who likes her job and you are just an employee.
I left.
The HR person contacted me and explained what happened in voice mail/email - no response back.
Did not receive an apology from co-workers, management or HR.
Very cold environment.
Go if you want a paycheck, otherwise find a nice job.
Pros
Cons
Cold, unfriendly
Great place to work. An employer who values it's employees and their education and experience.
Research Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  Westbrook, MESeptember 20, 2014
I have enjoyed working for IDEXX. I have and am still learning the ins and outs of research and development of veterinary laboratory diagnostics. It's a great place to work with excellent benefits, but most of their employees have started out as temps and being a temporary employee does not guarantee permanent employment with benefits. I really have enjoyed every aspect about working for the company. It has allowed me to branch out into new avenues from my many years as a medical technologist working in the human aspect of the science. Management is great, the coworkers I enjoy working with. Just a great place to work if you can get your foot in the door and eventually become hired as a full time, permanent employee with full benefits.
Overall experience at Idexx
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 26, 2014
Idexx is an industry leader in veterinary medicine. Research and Development along with a customer service focus are the companies’ priorities. Idexx is widely known to have the very best products in the industry and a diagnostic innovator. Idexx is by far the most expensive products in the veterinarian market which presents competition.
Idexx is the industry leader with Rapid Assay, Digital X-Ray, In-house diagnostic analyzers, and Reference Laboratories. As a local sales rep my responsibility is to sell all product lines, maintain and grow consumable revenues in my region.
Pros
our customers, products sold, enternal sales support, external customers support
Cons
limited paths to becoming a sales manager
Horrible environment/ great benifits
Specimen Processor I (Former Employee) –  Memphis,TNMarch 13, 2015
The moral is extremely low and the management is horrible. There is an extreme amount of micromanaging and the coworkers are kind at first but they quickly turn against anyone trying to move forward. All of the blame comes back to the processor and write ups are quick to come by. There are a lot of unnecessary and unfair rules that do not protect the employee. I found the job to be uncomfortable and unstable. There is the looming feeling that you are easily replaced and any moment is a chance to get fired. The only good part is the pay and benifits but that doesn't fix the harsh reality that this is the worst place to work.
Pros
benifits
Cons
micromanaging and horrible coworkers
Interesting and fast paced
Specimen Processor (Current Employee) –  Memphis,TNSeptember 30, 2015
Fast paced but interesting. Easier to learn if you try. Multiple steps to the best outcome but you must follow them for the most accurate results. It is all about the clients and customers. You see a lot when processing. Idexx deals with animal specimen only so we see various samples. One time there was a whole dog's head coming in for rabies testing. Overall great place to work especially if you are full time. Part time does not really get any benefits but starting pay is great
Pros
They do different lunches for employees near the holidays and also show appreciations with food
Cons
Really short breaks and part time does not get any benefits
Leading veterinary software company
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIFebruary 23, 2014
A typical day at work consist of working and managing multiple systems to ensure quality and communication of system projects (Outlook, SAP, First Wave), office environment, phone usage, hosting meetings and teleconferences.

Through out my almost seven years at IDEXX, I've learned that process and change is inevitable for ongoing improvements.

I enjoy working with my co-workers, I have the best team.

The hardest part of the job is trying to keep work within a 40 hour work week. Often times my work requires more hours out of me.

The most enjoyable part of my job is flexibility and ability to work with minimal supervision.
Don't waste your time.
Specimen Processor (Former Employee) –  North Grafton, MAJune 19, 2015
I worked for this company in accessioning for about two months. I worked a minimum of 40 hours a week. I was never allowed to take my two 15-minute breaks because the manager said we were too busy.

I had to sit at my desk for hours without a break. If I got up, I felt like I was being timed as to how long I was gone. I watched three people get fired and three other people abandoned the job completely without notice.

If you have an education, you are wasting it in this department. Other departments look happy and motivated- not accessioning.
Pros
You get paid
Cons
no breaks, no job security, negative environment