IDEXX Laboratories Employee Reviews

An ethical company that genuinely cares for the wellbeing of their employees and their community
Customer Support Consultant (Current Employee) –  Westbrook, MEDecember 1, 2016
I have held sever positions in the call center at IDEXX and I have honestly never worked in a more positive environment. There is an air of respect and professionalism here, but also of trust and comradery. The benefits are fantastic and management is very accommodating and understanding. Anyone should feel lucky to work here.
Pros
Catered breakfast and lunch on corporate holidays, full benefits package, on-site gym and health clinic, swanky break room, free coffee every day!
Cons
Difficult to extend health insurance to live-in partner unless married, otherwise, none!
So much is changing
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  MaineJanuary 22, 2017
I've been here for 10 years and the ability to make as much as you want for sales and the great benefits were a huge part of me taking the position. I was very successful right from the start and was told right away I was making too much money. The set caps and eventually took more and more compensation from us. I went from making a healthy six figures to making a third of that and our entire team being bullied and threatened. They have since decided to implement rules for using earned PTO forcing employees to take full weeks at a time and limiting single days to 3 per quarter. We were told DO NOT make doctors appointments Monday or Fridays and we will be limited on taking three day weekends with the PTO. Goals have been set so high (3-4 times what they were a year ago) that no one can
Hit it. Bonuses are Promised for hitting certain numbers but management will not recognize all of the sales even with signed and dates contracts because "no one gets to get maximum payout" even though it's in
Writing "sell x and earn x."
Pros
Healthy benefits
Cons
Regulated PTO, management uses scare tactics and bullying
New call center operations are very loose and inconsistent
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Westbrook, MEJanuary 24, 2017
A typical day involved periods of inbound call time, as well as outbound call time to assigned clients. Management was very loose about having the reps adhere to their schedules which resulted in too few representatives doing more and more of the actual work. The results are feelings of bias, constantly changing evaluation metrics, and cliques
Pros
Very reasonable life balance
Cons
salary too low for work volume and work intensity
You are only as good as the last quarter
Veterinary Diagnostic Consultant (Former Employee) –  Westbrook, MEJanuary 17, 2017
zero work life balance. Compensation and programs change quarterly. If you are exceeding your goals you will be punished, if you don't hit your goals you will be gone.... in summary for any job security be a B student.
benefits
Cons
zero work life balance
Great company to work for.
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Westbrook, MEFebruary 7, 2017
Great company, nice people.
Good compensation and benefits.
Only negative point in Inside Sales is extreme micro-management.
Great co-workers and managers.
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
Micro-management
do your self a favor and keep looking
night time processor (Former Employee) –  Worthington, OHJune 27, 2016
one of the worst places I have ever worked. if you have any education or intelligence do not work @ this location on the night shift. the team lead is ignorant and the day shift management isn't any better. the lab has a fantastic turn around time for it's clients because the lab techs/processors work long hours with no breaks. the only positive to this job was the benefits, they were wonderful, but not worth all the negatives of this job.
benefits
Cons
constant mandatory overtime, no breaks, horrible team lead
great co workers with typical corporate management
Medical Laboratory Technician II (Current Employee) –  Norcross, GASeptember 8, 2016
typical reference lab job duties. hardest part of the job is working nights. Would reccomend this job for anyone currently working in veterinary clinic or academic lab setting. Great benefits and time off
I'd recommend IDEXX
Data Services Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIMarch 10, 2016
If I could take my current job with me wherever I went, I would. The benefits are great, the yearly advancements are slow but reliable. I enjoy my co-workers and my time at work. We are encouraged to take care and provide good customer service.

On the other hand, like any large corporation, occasionally upper management makes decisions that are out-of-touch. Promotion opportunities are limited outside of the headquarters in Westbrook, ME.

Good news is our general manager has a relationship with us, and I can tell he is a true believer in the cause.
Pros
relaxed working environment, good compensation, great health insurance
Cons
Mercucial upper management
IDEXX in general is a great organization
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  West CoastApril 20, 2016
Healthy organization, great benefits, challenging work. Important to make sure you assimilate well with the appropriate people who have an impact on your career and $$$. This may be difficult as you may not completely be on board with those people, but it is necessary to survive.
Pros
Great benefits, awesome operations colleagues
Cons
Disconnect between corporate and field locations
Good pay, Terrible Management
Processor (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 7, 2016
There is no job security especially if your work nights.
Management protects Supervisors a lot. It's so sad they don't get to see the work she does. Nothing to see though... Manager never comes at night to watch her or how department suffers with her. Lousy, comes late to work, is always on Meds and drowsy all the time. Processing keeps getting worst since all the best people are gone.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
Risky job, intimidation, favoritism, paranoia in processing
Sales in the Veterinarian Diagnostic Field
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Westbrook, MEDecember 29, 2016
I worked as an inside sales rep selling testing supplies to veternarians in three regions of the United States. I also worked without side sales people to plan appointments for the larger diagnostic products. The management was very good, co-workers were supportive.
Most of the day was spent on the phone or places orders on the computer.
Training was very good because there was a lot of science behind what we were selling.
Pros
four day work week, collaboration, management was hands-off
Cons
They say one thing, but the reality is another
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Westbrook, MESeptember 14, 2016
Sounds like a great opportunity at first, but work life balance is not as advertised. Employees are pigeonholed into their positions without an opportunity for advancement. At IDEXX, you're a number, not a person, and if the department needs more money, they eliminate positions without considering other options.
Expect lot of overtime and sleeping instead of living a normal life.
Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDAugust 4, 2016
Quick run down.

Very good benefits and the pay is good. If night shift (most likely) it will be a $3 shift diff, so thats pretty good. Dental is delta and health is aetna.

Small staff but LOTS of samples that comes in every day, forcing overtime since you can't leave until everything is done. Rarely do you get out on time.

Vacation/Sick days are combined as one. Start off with 18 days. Come in later in the year, its cut in half. Also if due to the staff size of the lab, requesting time off is a mad dash. Only 2 people of the ENTIRE LAB, not department but THE WHOLE LAB can be requested day off per day. If that person is in the same department, too bad, you can't. Oh the PTO days aren't carried into next year so if you don't use them, you lose them.

No life at all, for night shift. Work, come home, use whatever hours left before sleeping for whatever business/free time, sleep, repeat. No matter how early you sleep, you'll think and feel like you'll get used to it on some days, but no it won't. Weekend rest is actually more like 1 day rest, (sunday usually unless you work the Sat.)

Management is ok, but you gotta be on top of them to get things done. Also, they want to be different from other labs so they are quite stubborn about changing SOP's to match others. They think they're efficient, but compared to other labs. No it isn't. I don't know why they don't wanna be the same. Information regarding to benefits, data, work related news, etc seems to be different from the rest. I was told one thing here and while at a different lab in a different state, they told
  more... me something else. Unsure whose right, but with other staff coming from over the U.S, I think the outside labs are correct.....

Co-workers are really nice, depending on departments. Will help you through the night and will be willing to be friends outside of lab, if you're not sleeping.

Hours are long. I mean LONG. You will come in depending on the department and get out 6:30-8:30am depending when you come in. However due to the amount of staff and samples, you get 1-2 hours of extra hours of OT. It is uncommon if you have to stay longer than that. There will be times when you get out in the afternoon. Break time? You clock out for 30 min for lunch, (30 min will fly by fast) and you get 2 15 min breaks that paid. However due to the amount of work, every technician will either do 1 or none of the 15 min breaks either to breathe a bit or just get work done so they can go home faster.

They only seem to be interested with people willing to take night shift since the turn over rate is actually high. I thought i was able to handle it since I normally slept really late, but was I wrong. REALLY WRONG. The pay and the benefit was the main factor of selecting this job.
Productive and Great Work Environment
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Westbrook, MEDecember 26, 2016
Responsible for selling IDEXX products and services to customers and prospects. Leverages strengths of the IDEXX portfolio, promotional offerings and targeted sales approach to drive profitable revenue and customer satisfaction.
Pros
Product Training, Target Reports and Salesforce
Cons
Professional Growth and Recognition
Fast paced environment
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Totowa, NJJanuary 26, 2017
IDEXX is a very intense. Not many opportunities of advancement, specially if you are working the night shifts. The hardest part of the job was volume of samples.
Great starting job in the lab
Medical Laboratory Technician I (Former Employee) –  Westminster, CONovember 2, 2016
This place is amazing, except for the pay. The atmosphere is great if you like a team environment. My supervisor that I reported to was an all-around great person AND boss. Upper management though leaves you guessing.
The pay is what will keep you here.
Medical Laboratory Technician I (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJJuly 13, 2016
Worked here at the NJ reference lab as a tech for quite a while, and had never worked overnights prior at any other job. You tell yourself its not so bad, and you'll adjust to it but the truth is no one ever does. It totally drains the life out of you no matter how many hours you sleep. Being a young adult, I gave credit to my coworkers who were mothers/fathers or who had to work another job, don't know how they managed.
The lab itself is set-up quite well. As long as there's no unforeseeable issues, work goes relatively smooth. The only downside is that the work volume was almost always so high for the amount of staff. The whole work flow rests on the processing department so if they have an issue, the whole lab has an issue.
If you like a job who REQUIRES overtime 90% of the time, then this is your go-to place. Some people would work twelve hour shifts everyday just because their department was understaffed or did have enough equipment available to handle the heavy work load. And you had to finish your work and meet TAT. TAT is everything for management, if it's not met, expect to be reprimanded if there isn't a VERY GOOD REASON.
The pay was the selling point for me when I was interviewing. While working there I was living comfortably and always had money left over each check to do with as a wished.
My coworkers were wonderful, and I made a few lasting friendships. However, towards the end of my time there I felt like they were hiring anyone they could convince to take the job. It was more like hiring for quantity to bear the workload than quality in terms of hiring
  more... professionals who at least had some lab experience. And in a lab, when you're testing samples from patients, many of us didn't agree with a lot of their hiring choices.
Management itself, not the greatest. Understandably its a large corporation so theres feedback coming to them from employees and hire-ups which can make things tricky and overwhelming. But after a while, I got sick of the politics and games you had to play trying to get real answers instead of "we'll see" or "I don't know".
Promotions, from what I saw, were only given to favorites or if you were willing to volunteer for a schedule/position that no one else wanted, leaving them desperate.
Work/life balance, not what they make you believe it is. Mind you, they do give a lot of vacation time, however, if the days you need off don't work for their cookie-cutter schedule, good luck.
One thing that did benefit me when leaving though, is that other employers looked very highly at my resume having worked for IDEXX (jobs in a similar field). When I left(on good terms albeit) every place I interviewed with was VERY impressed by it.
So, if you're looking for a well paying job, with harsh overnight cookie-cutter schedules, political management, and a work load that will almost guarantee OT - then this is the place for you!
Pros
Pay, Co-workers, Looks good on resume
Cons
Overnights, Overtime, Sometimes management
Interesting and fast paced
Specimen Processor (Current Employee) –  Memphis,TNSeptember 30, 2015
Fast paced but interesting. Easier to learn if you try. Multiple steps to the best outcome but you must follow them for the most accurate results. It is all about the clients and customers. You see a lot when processing. Idexx deals with animal specimen only so we see various samples. One time there was a whole dog's head coming in for rabies testing. Overall great place to work especially if you are full time. Part time does not really get any benefits but starting pay is great
Pros
They do different lunches for employees near the holidays and also show appreciations with food
Cons
Really short breaks and part time does not get any benefits
Great Place
Veterinary Diagnostic Consultant (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAFebruary 6, 2017
As a current employee (10+ years) I think IDEXX is a great place to work. The company is always striving to improve itself and stay ahead of the industry.
Gossip and bully central
Temporary Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COJuly 7, 2016
Was a temporary worker for someone on maternity leave. High turnover rate, management are bullies and never listen to their employees. There are some real great people there but saw time and time again gossip circles and whispering. If I wanted to be back in high school, then I would work at subway. Save your time and dont apply.
Pros
Steady check
Cons
Unprofessional, gossiping hen house, bullying, management and employees very disconnected

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IDEXX Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.