iHerb Employee Reviews

Great people, many benefits
confidential (Current Employee) –  Riverside County, CAJuly 14, 2016
I have been with iHerb for 4 years and have largely positive things to say. I really enjoy my work, my coworkers, and the benefits that the company offers. Many companies have eliminated things like good dental and medical, profit sharing, bonuses and more. iHerb offers those, plus a fun environment.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with certain members of upper management who have run amok and have gotten away with poor treatment of employees.
If you can manage to avoid these pitfalls, there are opportunities within this fast-growing business.
Pros
benefits, clean environment, nice people
Cons
company needs more control over some in management
Transparent Place to Work
Confidential (Current Employee) –  Perris, CAJuly 18, 2016
Truly adore the Mission, Vision, and Values as described by the CEO. I believe in the potential that each individual has to contribute to their own independent success. I have been able to leverage my experience and creativity in my position making way for tremendous accomplishments recognized by not only my Department Manager but my Manager's Manager. It is evident that in this environment diversity, transparency, and inclusion are values that have continued to flourish in the iHerb culture.

CONS: There are still a few at iHerb who are slow to catch on to the ever growing opportunity to partner with those inside and outside of their departments in an effort to maximize efficiency and comradery. I have learned that wherever one works there are stellar and not so stellar individuals and procedural jargon to manage. One needs to balance the negative with the positive in an effort to conclude an accurate assessment. My assessment is that 94% of those associated with iHerb are outstanding!! The work life balance is unlike anything I have seen where Management encourages Administrative staff to leave on time and take vacation. We are a team at iHerb and encourage diversity and inclusion.
Pros
Flexibale Time Off, Work/Life Balance. Diverse, Transparent, Encourages Laughter!!!
Cons
A Few Bad Apples
part time
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAJune 19, 2013
this job was an awful job experience for me .. being a temp at this job is the worst .you get to work friday saturday sunday and monday .. the worst days to work , while the company employed people would have weekends off and were full time .. i was there for about 8 months and was held there that long with lies from management . I was supposed to be getting full time but never did. i was supposed to get a raise for getting certified for the machinery .. management went ahead and said i must have heard wrong .. of course i didnt hear wrong .. otherwise i would have never gotten certified .
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
work partime and all weekends while company people get weekends off
not a firm for college graduates
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Moreno ValleyMay 12, 2015
Poorly Management: the return of doing a good job is the same as nothing doing anything at all.
Little possibility for salary raise
Pros
Free fruits
Cons
short breaks, bosses take little care about employees
Overall experience was pleasurable and beneficial.
Picker/ Packer (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAJanuary 16, 2015
I worked long hours and was very competitive. Always on my feet and working hard to produce big numbers in the output of company products. I learned how to work on a team and also become a leader by being in the top 5 every day. My co-workers were also very competitive and we were constantly motivating each other. The job came easy to me because I like working hard and pushing myself to do better each time I attempt a task. I loved that they showed our progress on a board because I am proud of my work.
Refuse this place at will!!
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CANovember 4, 2014
Management places themselves above all, no respect. Treated the temps like just another number. The pay is ridiculously low.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
this place exist
Find Something Better
Developer (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 26, 2014
Very rigid work hours - manager tells you when you have to start working and when you take your lunch...and will write you up if you are late Managers do not stand up for you to the CTO who runs the show and managers are not really managers
Pros
good coworkers location is good
Cons
jerks for managers, cto / sw managers are not qualified
Great place to work friendly work enviroment
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAJanuary 23, 2014
Everyone was very friendly the supervisors and team leaders were very helpful when i didn't understand something.
Pros
freindly enviroment, long lunch break
IT Sweatshop
Middle-Tier Developer (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 27, 2015
1. It was the worst code-base I ever worked on, by far, and I've worked at dozens of companies. Every anti-pattern you could think of -- magic numbers and strings everywhere, and a WCF Frankenstein architecture that was hacked together in some 3-month death march. Plus, it was originally written by a bunch of the Persian guys now in management, so everything was in broken English ("ManagementClasseses").

2. On the day of the release, you may get a random code review that requires all sorts of refactoring. You will then be bullied into releasing the code without testing. If it does blow up, it is your fault. If you deploy to Dev to at least do a smoke test, a manager may ask you what you are doing. No time for that!

3. Every deploy is a drag-and-drop to a server, even prod. No build server, no batch files, not even an xcopy. A release is an all-nighter involving surgical edits of config files and trial-and-error.

4. The IT department is literally two sections in different parts of the Irvine office. One part is the back office development, and one part is the web-site code. The two departments are always playing Spy-vs.Spy with each other in the shared hairball of code, so the devs get caught in the middle.

5. Any change has to be duplicated in sometimes 3 different places, and code is copy-and-pasted everywhere. Total cargo cult mentality. Ask why they do it this way and you will get the standard answer -- we've always done it this way.

6. Now this is a first, in my 20 years of coding. You may be asked to work on the Chinese version of the website, because the Chinese love
  more... Herbal medicine, and the site barely works in China. I had a lead keep telling me the shopping cart was broken because he kept clicking on the cart and nothing would happen. It worked fine, he just couldn't read the Chinese message that said "Your cart is empty." That cost an hour on release day.

7. An absolute, relentless Not-Invented-Here attitude. Everything is a hand-rolled hack, from loggers to exception handlers.

8. High turnover. The developer before me lasted three months, and it wasn't even two months before I agreed to part ways. They are always hiring in OC, but not because they growing, they are churning.

9. You can't fix any of the fundamental problems because they are in a perpetual state of "moving to a different platform" like SQL-Server to MySQL, and IIS to ngenx or some other silver bullet.

10. Sweating out a complex release in fire-drill mode is actually an emotional bonding exercise for the team that some of the people crave and the clearly enjoy. They will never agree to Continuous Integration, automated deployments, build servers, or anything in the Joel Test that will deprive them of this adrenaline rush.
Pros
free snacks, good pay
Cons
incoherent code, illiterate coders, stone-age practices
great work place and productive with co-workers
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Irwindale, CAApril 30, 2013
move packages
forklift driving
great co-workers
hardest part of the job working 6 days a week
having hour lunch
orginized warehouse
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Perris, CAJuly 10, 2014
easy work know ur duties right away,cool people,learned how to stack and unload

2.7