IKEA Employee Reviews in United States

I enjoyed the co-workers and the guests.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Covina, CAMarch 26, 2016
When I got to work I checked out a cash drawer and counted its contents. At the end of my shift I had to count out my cash drawer and drop the cash bag into a box in the cash office. When business was slow I zoned and filled in the front of the store area.
Management was not very appreciative of the more mature co-workers.
I found my co-workers willing to help each other.
The hardest part was to pay attention to customers who were trying to steal merchandise. At the time we had self-checkout lanes. We had to cover four lanes at a time.
The best part of my job was interaction with the guests. The guests in my line always left with a smile on their faces.
Pros
Benefits, holiday parties
Cons
Problems with self-checkout, lack of appreciation
Excellent place to grow as professional
Textile Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 24, 2016
IKEA has very heavy workload for all employees. Each department and divisions are busy, and have to perform multi-tasking assignments. Everybody have a lot of opportunities to learn about IKEA business, new systems, applications, working methods. Management is friendly and professional. Co-workers are nice and polite. The most difficult part is prioritize tasks to have everything done on time.
Pros
Vacation time, co-workers' meals, medical benefits, 401K match, one IKEA bonus
Cons
Turnover, computer system, team work
Better than most other retailers
Sales Co-worker (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 9, 2015
IKEA is known as a retailer with a conscious, and that is definitely an accurate description. However, IKEA Atlanta suffers from some practices that take away from it being an enjoyable work environment: some members of management held to lower , standards of work and behavior that would even get a part timer fired, little training for one's own department and almost no training about the store as a whole making it harder to help customers, little opportunity for advancement, little to no feedback when one does get the chance to interview for another position, etc.

The benefits are great, and I am glad that I got a job here compared to other retailers. However, as much as they complain about a lack of co-worker loyalty, that can't be changed unless people have a chance to actually make a stable, living wage.
Enjoyable culture, high paced environment, ability for promotion
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXJanuary 4, 2016
At IKEA I handled customer inquiries, complaints, billing questions and payment extension/service requests. Calm angry callers, repair trust, locate resources for problem resolution and design best-option solutions. Interface daily with internal partners in accounting, field services, new business, operations and consumer affairs divisions.

Throughout my time at IKEA I was also in college so it provided many different learning opportunities, because if you know anything about IKEA they are experts in cost cutting and are stream line savvy.

IKEA typically promotes from within, so there are countless ways for upward movement. This makes it very manager friendly because almost all of them have started from the bottom.

IKEA is a busy and fast paced environment, so if you thrive on your feet you will enjoy it.
Pros
Exceptional Benefits, Profit sharing, Upward movement
Productive and fun work environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAMarch 6, 2016
We always get breaks on time or close to, we have our own staff cafe for our breaks to relax before going back to work. The managers always end up having our back if something happens with customers. There is so much room for advancement within this company.
Pros
Amazing healthcare benefits, Staff cafe, HR is located in building, Open door policy, Managers always back us up
Cons
Short breaks
Entertaining workplace which will allow a person to challenge their customer service skills
Self Serve Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 25, 2015
While working at IKEA, I learned how to handle various scenarios. I would have to brain shoot problems with customers and product alike to keep both customers and company satisfied. On a daily basis, I would have to plan for product to be on display by filling out forms and contacting various other departments. Also, I would have to reconfigure the sales spaces to either make room for new products or increasing sales spaces for more of the same product. In all, I was responsible for about 15,000 different products in the warehouse. The most enjoyable part of my job was the team I worked with. If it wasn't for our team efforts, many things wouldn't get finished. This job helped me excel at becoming a team player as well as a team leader because we had to communicate with each other through face to face conversation or email to handle each issue and/or plan
Pros
Great benefits and discounted lunches
Cons
Management. In order to advance with IKEA, a person needs to know people on the inside
Ikea North America
Safety and Security Agent (Former Employee) –  Conshohocken, PAMarch 9, 2016
Good benefits. Nice people. Management is one dimensional and cannot or will not support all of the departments within the organization.
Pros
Great medical benefits
Cons
Management doesn't support all of its employees
great place to work for
Textiles Co-worker (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 29, 2016
IKEA is a good company to work for I recommended that place for everyone would like to apply for the job. IKEA has a great benefits,such as 401 k, health insurance, dental, vision,PTO, meal discount, and much more.
Currently no real work/life balance
FRONTLINE TEAM LEADER (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 1, 2016
IKEA is an excellent company to work for. The benefits are second to none. The one thing that currently brings me to seeking employment outside of IKEA after 13 years, is there is no work/life balance at my current location.
Big Blue Box
After Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILSeptember 14, 2015
One of the many things that come to mind when you hear the name IKEA is that it is a unique experience. My journey with IKEA started in August 2005 as a part time coworker and ended in 2015 as part of the management team. The biggest piece that kept me with the company for so long is that we truly all had the ability to teach one another whether it was coaching up or coaching down it was just about growing together as a unit. Our teams felt like family which is very important especially once you are in management because you spend 40+ hours with this group. The hardest and most rewarding part to the job are the customers. The overwhelming experience that IKEA is on any given weekend can make even the most sane become weary, but it is in the roles that I have had with IKEA that allowed me to really develop my skills as a problem solver, a negotiator and faith restorer.
Pros
benefits, value based company
Cons
customer focus, ease of shopping

Want to know more about IKEA?

Ask a question
Great place to work.
CHECKOUT SERVICE CO-WORKER (Former Employee) –  Doral, FLJanuary 8, 2016
Co workers understands team work. There is always work to do, to keep you busy. New challenges every week. Management team always provides new information, to keep you up to date.
Pros
Company provides $3 lunches, great benefits for PT/FT coworkers
Cons
None.
Reconsider applying
Former CSC (Former Employee) –  White Marsh call centerMarch 2, 2016
After being hired, it seemed like a wonderful company to work for. Everyone was upbeat, talking about their advancements, great benefits, ect. That was during training, then after training it's another world. IKEA has the worst customer service for the customers. Having prior call center experience, which seemed to be unique since older employees were bred in the IKEA world, their idea of good customer service is to "pass the buck." The 1 call center handles all calls for the US stores and they do not take into consideration the time zones. The various departments needed to assist customers, leave after 8pm EST, so if a customer in California needs help, they are out of luck, or you are told to create a "case" that usually is never responded to. In addition, that case you may have created will have a "case error" causing you to be a very bad person. The company has an annual holiday party but if you are not going and scheduled to work, you have to "pay yourself," instead of the company compensating you because of their closing for the day. When a customer calls with a problem, you must apologize over and over or fail your call review. A majority of the time, you do not help the customer and I'm not used to not helping people and resolving their issues. I can empathize and pacify, but how does that really help the customer? The quality department only reviews 2 calls per month, and you will fail again if you do not say "I'm sorry for your problem.," that we caused. Very nice new call center, that's about all I can say good about the company.
Pros
Not much
Cons
Worst customer service
No Complaints
Self-Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 8, 2015
Management was impeccable here. Everyone was treated equally and fair. It was a very social environment. We worked hard as a team even managers and supervisors got their hands "dirty!" The compensation was decent but the benefits were extraordinary. Your dental, vision, and medical amounted to no more than $20. Unheard of right???? They provided a full lunch everyday and drinks were unlimited. This was one of the best, if not the best, companies I've worked for by far. Thanks IKEA!!
Pros
Great benefits package, wonderful staff, good lunches
Cons
long hours but what retail job doesnt
Team driven, Friendly,and Fun Enviroment
Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILOctober 2, 2015
Overall this is an excellent workplace with excellent coworkers and bosses. Everyone cares as much about getting the work done as they do about our well being and safety. Everyone is friendly and more than helpful. There are plenty of opportunities to move up and advance within the company and though the job itself is labor based you are never too stressed or yelled at by any supervisors.
Pros
Scehudled Breaks, and Lunches, Benefits, Your opinions and hard work matter
The mission and vision is good, but employees should get paid more
Part-Time Cashier (Current Employee) –  Centennial, COSeptember 10, 2015
IKEA has a solid foundation and its leadership of sustainability through recycling and alternative energy makes me proud to be employed by the company. IKEA provides many strong incentives like three dollar meals at the staff cafeteria and very affordable health/dental insurance. It's 401k program matches up to five percent. The downside to IKEA is its compensation. Although IKEA has taken the lead in raising its minimum wage, it is still not enough to support a family or save for retirement.
Pros
cheap lunch, good benefits
Cons
pay
it was a okay place to work
Customer Service Representative (Call Center) (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 10, 2015
At times it was a fun place to work, however I like helping customers, and resolving their complaints and help them put their furniture together.
Pros
helping others, and free parking
Cons
it was from a temp agency, and know benefits
productive and easy going environment
recovery worker (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJNovember 11, 2015
It is a very great job. The management is very organized. A typical work day goes by very efficient and fast. Employees pay is raised often.
Pros
employee benifits
Cons
may not always get breaks
I learned how to use all types of forklifts
Forklift Driver/ Receiver (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CANovember 17, 2015
IKEA was a wonderful place to work. As soon as I started, They showed me how to use all the forklifts that operated in the warehouse. In 2 months I was already using all the machines and putting extra products away in the warehouse.
Pros
Great Pay, Benefits
Cons
night shift
Have to be a special kind of glutton for punishment, but still FUN
Sales Co-worker (Former Employee) –  Stoughton, MAFebruary 26, 2016
Super fast paced, physically demanding job. The products are cool, and fun to sell. Extremely diverse coworker base is really refreshing. Management is somewhat removed from day-to-day coworker duties, resulting in unrealistic expectations. IKEA claims to develop talent from within, but because coworkers are so swamped with running their departments, there's little time for training or advancement. IKEA makes a big show of 'work-life balance' which is NOT reflected in the reality of working there. To wit: hours are all over the place and unpredictable, it's really hard to get time off, and they have a very strict policy against tardiness (e.g. commuter delays, etc) or unplanned absence (e.g. sick family member, etc). Seriously, you will be terminated automatically if you clock in one minute late 9 times over the course of a year, regardless of job performance. Some might say that IKEA is not interested in long-term co-workers, preferring instead to hire entry-level staff rather than give out merit increases for coworker skills and loyalty.

In short, if you have a super flexible schedule and no outside demands on your life, and you like work that involves almost constant exercise, it's a blast.
Pros
$3 meal deal for coworkers, you'll never need a gym membership
Cons
unrealistic mgmt demands, lack of opportunity for advancement, draconian 'occurrences' policy
great coworkers good meals secure job.
(As-Is) Recovery Co-worker (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 9, 2015
Assist customers in the AS IS area as needed finding products and problem solving furniture issues.
Inspect returned products for damages or missing hardware or pieces and determine destination for products: Back To Stock, As-Is, spare parts, trash, etc.
Utilize knowledge of the MHS, NSS, and OIMS systems to maintain proper
inventory and provide better product information to co-workers and customers
Build and price merchandise for AS-IS according to guidelines
Pros
Benefits and Vacation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IKEA. Our community is ready to answer.