IKEA Employee Reviews in United States

Tedious but Enjoyable Place To Work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hicksville, NYJuly 26, 2016
This job is a typical retail job. I was a cashier and I enjoyed providing customer service to the customers. The company was one of the absolutely BEST places I have worked. People are respectful and generally friendly making it pleasant. There is room for movement and growth and you are able to move around the company and change jobs. The benefits are awesome. The people I worked with are the most enjoyable part of the job. The pay was pretty good as well. Highly recommend this company.
Pros
work environment is awesome, pay is decent, room for growth
Cons
timeliness of job, late nights of retail environment
Love working here!
Carts Co Worker (Current Employee) –  West Sacramento, CAAugust 9, 2016
I've been working here for about a month, going on two. A typical day at work is fast paced but is good because it keeps you busy. Weekends are usually the most busiest days, We call it peak days. Management is very good with flexible scheduling and the benefits is a big plus but doesn't take effect until 3 months of employment. A lot of people there are friendly. What I learned is to just work hard and be self efficient. Establish a good relationship with upper management and just be realistic with them, they'll understand. Overall I like working here. I can't complain.
Pros
Discounts, Flexible scheduling, Benefits
Cons
Part time hours
Fun place to work with; great people
Smaland (Current Employee) –  Merriam, KSAugust 9, 2016
I work as a Smaland worker (meaning I watch children in the play area). It is super easy and half the time (unless it is Saturday) there isn't much to do. My managers are very understanding and down to earth and are also willing to work with your school schedule. Unfortunately, depending on your hired position (HL1, HL2, or HL3) your hours are almost fixed but your schedule is random. So you'll work approximately the same amount of hours weekly but on different days.
Pros
Easy, breaks, fun, decent pay
Cons
Hours shouldn't be as fixed or pay should increase
Always evolving company
Frontline Manager (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXAugust 22, 2016
The hardest part of the job is dealing with the antique computer equipment that is unreliable or incompatible with anything hardwired to the company. Held several jobs in different functions and all have pros and cons but the culture and people you work with are amazing. It's your second family. And if the steering management team jives well and is family focused it remains a common thread throughout the store. I would say some of the best managers came from the Dallas, TX store in Frisco.
Pros
Coworker focused
Cons
The general public and I.T.
Excellent upbeat workplace!
Goods flow co-worker (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 23, 2016
A typical day at IKEA was extremly fast paced, challenging and fun. The co-workers were friendly and knowlegable. IKEA taught me the intricacies of a high flow warehouse/retail store. Due to the lack of proper computer technology, executing my daily duties often became challenging. My most enjoyable part of working for IKEA was a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day.
Pros
Discounted food prices for employees, excellent benefits, fair wages, positive work environment
Cons
Outdated equipment
Picker (Current Employee) –  Westampton, NJAugust 6, 2016
Great place to work, Management always willing to help in any way to get the job done safer and easier. I have never worked for a better place when it comes to safety. They care about everyones lives. They are strict on employees taking breaks and the end of shift unless there is overtime. This company really backs the employees and supports the goal of safety first.
Pros
Strict on breaks and end of shift time
Cons
very hot warehouse with no air movement
Some Incompetant Management; Low Pay; OK job for a young person
Recovery Co-Worker (Current Employee) –  West Chester, OHAugust 13, 2016
I've worked out of the West Chester OH store in the Recovery department. The stronger workers are expected to carry the load for the goof-offs (team is about 50% workers/50% slackers) without being compensated for the extra effort. Worst thing about the job is the manager; immature, lacking people skills, manages by intimidation and bullying. Usually is a fast paced environment with always something to do. More of a place for a young person with a thick skin; not a place to build a career. Stay more than a year and it begins to suck the life out of you.
Pros
Offers health insurance; 401K; paid leave
Cons
Micromanaging supervisors, too many slackers in the store, top level management only care about themselves.
love working there, great communication and co workers are helpful
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 6, 2016
It was a great working environment and loved the way the employees interacted with everybody. We got the daily task completed on time while enjoying each other's company. The managers were not always down your throat, they allowed to do your job and prosper on your own. If you needed help the employees were really helpful in assisting anyone in need of it.
Can be fun place to work, but is tough to advance
Safety and Security Agent (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 13, 2016
IKEA can be a good place to work, however a lot of older coworkers are staying in their positions making it tough to advance in the company. We will be going through a company wide restructure so it is feeling like everyman for themselves and it is hard to find people that try to help you advance in the company.
Pros
Easy to get along with everyone
Cons
Tough to advance
They know who you are and care about you
Trainer/"Buddy" to all incoming Bistro new hires (Current Employee) –  City of Sunrise, FLJune 14, 2016
Best place I have worked to date. Annual Christmas party. Month of fun and surprises for our end of fiscal year. I've learned a lot about the people I work with. Management is supportive and cares about the information and knowledge I bring to the job. Hardest part is the customers but the bad ones truly are few and far between. Best part of my day is seeing my coworkers and having a little chat on breaks and lunches
Pros
$3 lunches for employees, great co-workers, great culture
Cons
Hours can be hard to come by and moving up is solely based on the individual

Want to know more about IKEA?

Ask a question
Great benefits but need better training for managers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 12, 2016
Great benefits especially for a part time coworker but the management team was replaced on the regular and job security is close to none. The turn over was too high and the management team knew less than the coworkers.
Pros
Discount, discount on lunches, benefits
Cons
Management team unprepared and lacking efficient training
good if your friends with the right people
Coworker (Current Employee) –  Covina, CAMay 24, 2016
The company itself is great. The values are awesome. However, this particular store does not reflect the company's culture and values. This store is more about who you know rather than what you know. Display of company values, Education, hard work, dedication and skills are of low importance at this particular location.Promotions are based off of friendships and schmoozing.
Pros
benefits, pay, culture
Cons
lack of skill in management, no room for growth
A great company to work for.
Coldprep/server (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 4, 2016
I worked for IKEA Tampa for two years in the IF department, the staff is great and management is extremely helpful. The management will always work with you and never against you, also if there is ever a problem with another co-worker, management will usually assess and handle the situation immediately. IKEA understands that in order to have great customer service that they must take care of the employee needs and welfare. Competitive pay and great food! 3$ co-worker meals from either staff café or the restaurant itself! Another aspect I really loved about the company is that you are always able to move up or change your work areas if need be. Managers are flexible with your schedule and time off.
Pros
Good work environmment, work benefits, positive critiscm, fair management, paid training
Cons
yellow and blue uniforms
Great People
Home Delivery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXAugust 15, 2016
The coworkers were great friendly people.
The managers were hit or miss. When they were a hit, they were fantastic.
The store is so large by the time the customer is able to leave they turned into the most irritable unreasonable, people at times.
Getting them to hire people is a painfully long process.
Pros
Descent pay, and benefits for retail
Cons
Slow Process
productive and fun work place
Self Serve associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJune 15, 2016
IKEA offered a good work environment and people are very team oriented. Co-workers at IKEA are very friendly and always had a fun day at work. The hardest part of the job was all the carrying of boxes. Most enjoyable moments were making friends with customers and co-workers.
Pros
reduced lunch meals and great deals on furniture and other products
Productive workplace with good food and well priced household items
Cahier (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 6, 2016
A typical day at work is just meeting new people learning their cultures and why they've entered the work place. Everyone that I work with/around are very friendly and helpful, I would say the hardest part of this job is trying to answer customers questions without the knowledge of knowing the precise answer, and the most enjoyable is getting to eat.
Pros
co-worker meal deals, and having a nice amount of break time
Cons
Short hours.
NIce and understanding place to work
Self-Serve Coworker (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 13, 2016
They pay well for an entry level job with little experience. They work well with your schedule, and have different levels that determine your amount of hours, giving you a minimum amount of hours to always look forward to. Fun and fast paced place to work.
Pros
Very cheap meals. Encourages diversity. Plenty of breaks.
decent place to work for area
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Danville, VAApril 24, 2016
typical day have meeting at team board go out job clean mess left by previous shift preform job,support from management lacking managers always in meetings/classes, most coworkers ok but far too many just there for paycheck when ask to do there job refuse with no recourse from management.the hardest part of the job is trying to get along with lazy rude employees,most enjoyable part of
job you have most weekends off with volunteer overtime.
Pros
most overtime on volunteer basis, nice break area, union shop
Cons
managers hard to get in touch with for support, company does everything cheapest way possible.
Great pay and benefits
Checkout Services Coworker (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 20, 2016
IKEA is a good company to work for. There are great benefits for part time and full time employees. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with a lot a different people. Management isn't as organized as it could be. One thing I didn't like is sometimes going to breaks/lunches late due to lack of coverage or missing breaks all together.
Pros
Free lunches, employee benefits
Cons
Missed/late breaks, management, no growth in department
Organization is key
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZApril 16, 2016
Working in the warehouse was a good experience as gaining knowledge of the company. Working in the warehouse wasn't always easy, it was hard to get trained to work the equipment unless favored by management. Even though I had previous warehouse experience I wasn't able to get qualified at the store to be able to use the equipment I had already been trained to use. I was given more responsibility because of my experience but wasn't given the support in order to complete my job to standards of my manager.
Pros
Borrow against your paycheck
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IKEA. Our community is ready to answer.