IKEA Employee Reviews

More stress than its worth
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILOctober 15, 2017
When one first satrts at IKEA the orientation welcomes you in with open arms.Then the rug is pulled out from under you and the real store shows up.Poor management that only belittles its workers and treats them like dirt.Human resources was a joke and dont bother calling corporate to solve a problem.It only comes back to bite you.The hardest part of the job was pretending to care after awhile.When management doesnt care about its workers it reflects poorly on the store itself.Low morale,bad attitudes and poor working conditions. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fellow co-workers that made the job somewhat bearable.
Pros
Discounts, insurance
Cons
poor management, not enough staff, overworked
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stoughton, MAOctober 15, 2017
Worked in the small business section helping customers build and plan home offices and small business offices with provided software and given measurements . I enjoyed the job but not the hours, alot of mid shifts.
Great Place to work!!
Certified Kitchen Seller/Installation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 13, 2017
Ikea is a wonderful place to work. Upper management is very patient and they are always here for you. Benefits and pay is also great. I would recommend it to anyone.
Fun depending on the department
Customer Service Team Member (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 12, 2017
Ikea is going through changes that I do not agree with, they do give a lot of benefits but pay isn't very good. I get paid around $11, and before minimum wage went up that was really good but now its just not liveable.
Fun if you like retail it's different
Returns/Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXOctober 11, 2017
The culture at IKEA is totally different from other retail establishments, if you are curious you should apply and find out for yourself. They definitely take care of their employees well.
Pros
Culture is different since it's a European based company
Cons
It's still retail
Fun Place to Work
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 11, 2017
Ikea was a great place to work. I learned how to be an effective leader. I was responsible for 80 employees and 6 Department Managers. It was challenging at times, but well worth it.
Pros
Salary
Cons
No cons
Great Company
SUPERVISOR - LOGISTICS (Former Employee) –  Stoughton, MAOctober 11, 2017
The culture with IKEA is amazing. I still have family working with the company. With my time there I enjoyed my experience and would recommend to anyone who likes to work hard but also have fun at work.
IKEA USA does not represent IKEA very well
home delivery (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNOctober 10, 2017
IKEA in the USA is a company completely different than the company in the rest of the world. Pay is very low for the amount of work that they are often placing upon you. This work gets more and more frustrating because of the turnover that is caused by lack of pay. Long-term employees are often the ones who take the brunt of pay cuts as they attempt to increase the starting wages. Managers are very autocratic, and the company culture is very cultish in how it worships the founder while coworkers are expected to kiss the floor for even being able to work at the company
Pros
some good benefits
Cons
lack of pay for work done
Everyone is called a co-worker
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Conshohocken, PAOctober 10, 2017
You don't have subordinates at IKEA, you have co-workers. They go out of their way to create a employee friendly atmosphere. Free breakfast on Tuesday. HR dept works hard to keep you employed.
Pros
great pto for management, they promote from within
Cons
no full time hours for non manament positions: Short breaks, healthcare, etc.
Be prepared to get a 2nd job
Safety and Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 9, 2017
The company has recently undergone a restructure due to years of very low sales. As a result, salary coworkers pay has been cut in half, and hourly coworkers are at a very high risk of being let go an absolutely any time. Georgia is an at will state, therefore Ikea can will likely let you go for a valid or invalid reason. Management is so cut throat, you'd think it was the New York stock exchange office. They also tend to be rather unhelpful, but they always sport a nice smile, which was the only good aspect about them. Word of advice, don't do management or safety/ security. Cashier, and customer service is the way to go.
Pros
$3 delicious lunch, PTO racks up very quickly, liberal company
Fun WorkPlan with Excellent co-workers
Office Planner Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 9, 2017
Ikea is a great place in terms of the job culture. The workers there were, for the most part, great. I worked as a sales co-worker for the WorkIkea department and the tasks at first were, primarily, basic. Upon learning about the infrastructure, it was one that is based on personal growth and advancement. While working at Ikea I learned the value of customer service and managing large retail orders.
Pros
Discounted lunches, Worker Discount of products
Cons
Short breaks
Customer and Co-worker oriented
Home Furnishings Sales Co-Worker (Current Employee) –  Canton, MIOctober 9, 2017
An incredible place to work for. The environment is fast paced but easy to move along with. Amazing and hilarious co-workers make the days go by in a flash. Everyone is very supportive and always there to help. Benefits are really good. I would definitely say this business is one of the best to work for!
Ikea is a great Place to work at!
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 9, 2017
Ikea is a very relaxed treat employee with respect and dignity . they take great care of their employee. They provide great benefits and free lunch per shift.
Co-workers were the best part
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAOctober 9, 2017
I enjoyed those I worked with. There was a family-like feel whenever I went to work. Management took care of us for the most part and often bent over backwards to get us what we needed. Customer base is absolutely horrible, though. Truly, truly horrible.
Pros
fun work environment (with co-workers and associates), very friendly staff, diverse
Cons
temperamental customers with bad attitudes
Its great in the beginning, you just have to be on your toes at all times
Bedroom Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 8, 2017
There are a lot of great managers, some not so great; the environment is nice but it does get very busy and demanding. It's just furniture, management takes it way to serious; they're very strict on a lot- makes you cautious of what you do and say.
The most enjoyable part of the job.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Stoughton, MAOctober 8, 2017
Allowing managers to run their business with very little boundaries. Weekly walks of departments to ensure pricing and displays are current. Weekly meetings with departments to clarify direction and upcoming events.
Pros
Free coffee, $3 dollar lunches, 15% discount, schedules are completed 3 weeks ahead.
Cons
1 location within Massachusetts. Advancement usually requires relocation.
A great place to work
Prep & Flow coworker (Current Employee) –  Hicksville, NYOctober 7, 2017
A great place to work the co worker are friendly everyone speaks to everyone ,there's never a dull moment, there will always be something to do.
great pay as well especially for an entry level job. example 16 dollars an hour wow!
fun place to work
Home Delivery Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAOctober 6, 2017
ikea is a pretty cool place to work , the co worker are great everyone speaks to everyone , I love to come to work just to be around my co worker. the most enjoyable part of my day is being around my coworkers and helping the customers
Typical Retail Job
Receiving Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXOctober 6, 2017
IKEA is your typical retail job, work weekends and holidays. Everything is based on sales. Management doesn't care who you are or what you can bring to the table. You are simply a number. Management is inexperienced and make poor decisions that impact everyone on their teams. Working along side my team was the most enjoyable part of IKEA.
Pros
Great break area
Cons
Low pay and poor schedule
Great Culture, Low Pay
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 5, 2017
Don't get paid enough for the work you do. Other than that, it's a great company. Part time coworkers get full benefits and great work/life balance. But it also depends on your manager.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IKEA. Our community is ready to answer.