IKEA Employee Reviews in United States

I enjoyed the co-workers and the guests.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Covina, CAMarch 26, 2016
When I got to work I checked out a cash drawer and counted its contents. At the end of my shift I had to count out my cash drawer and drop the cash bag into a box in the cash office. When business was slow I zoned and filled in the front of the store area.
Management was not very appreciative of the more mature co-workers.
I found my co-workers willing to help each other.
The hardest part was to pay attention to customers who were trying to steal merchandise. At the time we had self-checkout lanes. We had to cover four lanes at a time.
The best part of my job was interaction with the guests. The guests in my line always left with a smile on their faces.
Pros
Benefits, holiday parties
Cons
Problems with self-checkout, lack of appreciation
Better than most other retailers
Sales Co-worker (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 9, 2015
IKEA is known as a retailer with a conscious, and that is definitely an accurate description. However, IKEA Atlanta suffers from some practices that take away from it being an enjoyable work environment: some members of management held to lower , standards of work and behavior that would even get a part timer fired, little training for one's own department and almost no training about the store as a whole making it harder to help customers, little opportunity for advancement, little to no feedback when one does get the chance to interview for another position, etc.

The benefits are great, and I am glad that I got a job here compared to other retailers. However, as much as they complain about a lack of co-worker loyalty, that can't be changed unless people have a chance to actually make a stable, living wage.
Excellent place to grow as professional
Textile Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 24, 2016
IKEA has very heavy workload for all employees. Each department and divisions are busy, and have to perform multi-tasking assignments. Everybody have a lot of opportunities to learn about IKEA business, new systems, applications, working methods. Management is friendly and professional. Co-workers are nice and polite. The most difficult part is prioritize tasks to have everything done on time.
Pros
Vacation time, co-workers' meals, medical benefits, 401K match, one IKEA bonus
Cons
Turnover, computer system, team work
Have to be a special kind of glutton for punishment, but still FUN
Sales Co-worker (Former Employee) –  Stoughton, MAFebruary 26, 2016
Super fast paced, physically demanding job. The products are cool, and fun to sell. Extremely diverse coworker base is really refreshing. Management is somewhat removed from day-to-day coworker duties, resulting in unrealistic expectations. IKEA claims to develop talent from within, but because coworkers are so swamped with running their departments, there's little time for training or advancement. IKEA makes a big show of 'work-life balance' which is NOT reflected in the reality of working there. To wit: hours are all over the place and unpredictable, it's really hard to get time off, and they have a very strict policy against tardiness (e.g. commuter delays, etc) or unplanned absence (e.g. sick family member, etc). Seriously, you will be terminated automatically if you clock in one minute late 9 times over the course of a year, regardless of job performance. Some might say that IKEA is not interested in long-term co-workers, preferring instead to hire entry-level staff rather than give out merit increases for coworker skills and loyalty.

In short, if you have a super flexible schedule and no outside demands on your life, and you like work that involves almost constant exercise, it's a blast.
Pros
$3 meal deal for coworkers, you'll never need a gym membership
Cons
unrealistic mgmt demands, lack of opportunity for advancement, draconian 'occurrences' policy
Productive and fun work environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAMarch 6, 2016
We always get breaks on time or close to, we have our own staff cafe for our breaks to relax before going back to work. The managers always end up having our back if something happens with customers. There is so much room for advancement within this company.
Pros
Amazing healthcare benefits, Staff cafe, HR is located in building, Open door policy, Managers always back us up
Cons
Short breaks
Cheerful Environment
Cahier (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, New YorkFebruary 27, 2016
Everyone is so nice and kind from the start of the day to the end saying hello or hey throughout the day, no one was ever rude or stuck up.From working at IKEA I've learned how to use a money machine. Management was extremely nice but i felt they spread themselves too thin sometimes throughout the day so when needed their hard to reach sometimes. co-worker were extremely nice and very helpful. there wasn't really any hard parts to the job i can actually say i loved this job but if i had to say it would be getting help from the manager to come help a guest being that their a little hard to reach at times. the most enjoyable part of this job was just being able to interact with the guest and being able to help them get what they need.
Ikea North America
Safety and Security Agent (Former Employee) –  Conshohocken, PAMarch 9, 2016
Good benefits. Nice people. Management is one dimensional and cannot or will not support all of the departments within the organization.
Pros
Great medical benefits
Cons
Management doesn't support all of its employees
Entertaining workplace which will allow a person to challenge their customer service skills
Self Serve Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 25, 2015
While working at IKEA, I learned how to handle various scenarios. I would have to brain shoot problems with customers and product alike to keep both customers and company satisfied. On a daily basis, I would have to plan for product to be on display by filling out forms and contacting various other departments. Also, I would have to reconfigure the sales spaces to either make room for new products or increasing sales spaces for more of the same product. In all, I was responsible for about 15,000 different products in the warehouse. The most enjoyable part of my job was the team I worked with. If it wasn't for our team efforts, many things wouldn't get finished. This job helped me excel at becoming a team player as well as a team leader because we had to communicate with each other through face to face conversation or email to handle each issue and/or plan
Pros
Great benefits and discounted lunches
Cons
Management. In order to advance with IKEA, a person needs to know people on the inside
No Complaints
Self-Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 8, 2015
Management was impeccable here. Everyone was treated equally and fair. It was a very social environment. We worked hard as a team even managers and supervisors got their hands "dirty!" The compensation was decent but the benefits were extraordinary. Your dental, vision, and medical amounted to no more than $20. Unheard of right???? They provided a full lunch everyday and drinks were unlimited. This was one of the best, if not the best, companies I've worked for by far. Thanks IKEA!!
Pros
Great benefits package, wonderful staff, good lunches
Cons
long hours but what retail job doesnt
Visual merchandiser
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Stoughton, MAFebruary 9, 2016
Terrible management.
Thousands of rules to live by.
No room for advancement.
They will work you to death.
I you like being a glorified sales person,who waits on customers and rings a cash register,Then this is the job for you.
Pros
Cons
its retail
Currently no real work/life balance
FRONTLINE TEAM LEADER (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 1, 2016
IKEA is an excellent company to work for. The benefits are second to none. The one thing that currently brings me to seeking employment outside of IKEA after 13 years, is there is no work/life balance at my current location.
A great company to work for.
Coldprep/server (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 4, 2016
I worked for IKEA Tampa for two years in the IF department, the staff is great and management is extremely helpful. The management will always work with you and never against you, also if there is ever a problem with another co-worker, management will usually assess and handle the situation immediately. IKEA understands that in order to have great customer service that they must take care of the employee needs and welfare. Competitive pay and great food! 3$ co-worker meals from either staff café or the restaurant itself! Another aspect I really loved about the company is that you are always able to move up or change your work areas if need be. Managers are flexible with your schedule and time off.
Pros
Good work environmment, work benefits, positive critiscm, fair management, paid training
Cons
yellow and blue uniforms
Some Incompetant Management; Low Pay; OK job for a young person
Recovery Co-Worker (Current Employee) –  West Chester, OHAugust 13, 2016
I've worked out of the West Chester OH store in the Recovery department. The stronger workers are expected to carry the load for the goof-offs (team is about 50% workers/50% slackers) without being compensated for the extra effort. Worst thing about the job is the manager; immature, lacking people skills, manages by intimidation and bullying. Usually is a fast paced environment with always something to do. More of a place for a young person with a thick skin; not a place to build a career. Stay more than a year and it begins to suck the life out of you.
Pros
Offers health insurance; 401K; paid leave
Cons
Micromanaging supervisors, too many slackers in the store, top level management only care about themselves.
Reconsider applying
Former CSC (Former Employee) –  White Marsh call centerMarch 2, 2016
After being hired, it seemed like a wonderful company to work for. Everyone was upbeat, talking about their advancements, great benefits, ect. That was during training, then after training it's another world. IKEA has the worst customer service for the customers. Having prior call center experience, which seemed to be unique since older employees were bred in the IKEA world, their idea of good customer service is to "pass the buck." The 1 call center handles all calls for the US stores and they do not take into consideration the time zones. The various departments needed to assist customers, leave after 8pm EST, so if a customer in California needs help, they are out of luck, or you are told to create a "case" that usually is never responded to. In addition, that case you may have created will have a "case error" causing you to be a very bad person. The company has an annual holiday party but if you are not going and scheduled to work, you have to "pay yourself," instead of the company compensating you because of their closing for the day. When a customer calls with a problem, you must apologize over and over or fail your call review. A majority of the time, you do not help the customer and I'm not used to not helping people and resolving their issues. I can empathize and pacify, but how does that really help the customer? The quality department only reviews 2 calls per month, and you will fail again if you do not say "I'm sorry for your problem.," that we caused. Very nice new call center, that's about all I can say good about the company.
Pros
Not much
Cons
Worst customer service
Great place to work.
CHECKOUT SERVICE CO-WORKER (Former Employee) –  Doral, FLJanuary 8, 2016
Co workers understands team work. There is always work to do, to keep you busy. New challenges every week. Management team always provides new information, to keep you up to date.
Pros
Company provides $3 lunches, great benefits for PT/FT coworkers
Cons
None.
Enjoyable culture, high paced environment, ability for promotion
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXJanuary 4, 2016
At IKEA I handled customer inquiries, complaints, billing questions and payment extension/service requests. Calm angry callers, repair trust, locate resources for problem resolution and design best-option solutions. Interface daily with internal partners in accounting, field services, new business, operations and consumer affairs divisions.

Throughout my time at IKEA I was also in college so it provided many different learning opportunities, because if you know anything about IKEA they are experts in cost cutting and are stream line savvy.

IKEA typically promotes from within, so there are countless ways for upward movement. This makes it very manager friendly because almost all of them have started from the bottom.

IKEA is a busy and fast paced environment, so if you thrive on your feet you will enjoy it.
Pros
Exceptional Benefits, Profit sharing, Upward movement
Tedious but Enjoyable Place To Work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hicksville, NYJuly 26, 2016
This job is a typical retail job. I was a cashier and I enjoyed providing customer service to the customers. The company was one of the absolutely BEST places I have worked. People are respectful and generally friendly making it pleasant. There is room for movement and growth and you are able to move around the company and change jobs. The benefits are awesome. The people I worked with are the most enjoyable part of the job. The pay was pretty good as well. Highly recommend this company.
Pros
work environment is awesome, pay is decent, room for growth
Cons
timeliness of job, late nights of retail environment
Love working here!
Carts Co Worker (Current Employee) –  West Sacramento, CAAugust 9, 2016
I've been working here for about a month, going on two. A typical day at work is fast paced but is good because it keeps you busy. Weekends are usually the most busiest days, We call it peak days. Management is very good with flexible scheduling and the benefits is a big plus but doesn't take effect until 3 months of employment. A lot of people there are friendly. What I learned is to just work hard and be self efficient. Establish a good relationship with upper management and just be realistic with them, they'll understand. Overall I like working here. I can't complain.
Pros
Discounts, Flexible scheduling, Benefits
Cons
Part time hours
Big Blue Box
After Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILSeptember 14, 2015
One of the many things that come to mind when you hear the name IKEA is that it is a unique experience. My journey with IKEA started in August 2005 as a part time coworker and ended in 2015 as part of the management team. The biggest piece that kept me with the company for so long is that we truly all had the ability to teach one another whether it was coaching up or coaching down it was just about growing together as a unit. Our teams felt like family which is very important especially once you are in management because you spend 40+ hours with this group. The hardest and most rewarding part to the job are the customers. The overwhelming experience that IKEA is on any given weekend can make even the most sane become weary, but it is in the roles that I have had with IKEA that allowed me to really develop my skills as a problem solver, a negotiator and faith restorer.
Pros
benefits, value based company
Cons
customer focus, ease of shopping
Workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 14, 2016
Work is good, i just come in do what i have to do on a daily and get each tasks done. Everyday i learn something new from customers, like when they teach me more infomation about the products we do have. Management is ok, but it could improve! The job is not really hard to me but in fact its actually pretty simple.
Pros
Making customers feel happy
Cons
Short breaks, hard labor not enough money!