IKEA

1.5K reviews

IKEA Employee Reviews

Special Customer
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VaNovember 10, 2014
I was serving a customer some hot dogs and unexpectedly, she grabbed my hand and told me that I have a great heart and a positive mindset; my smile and attitude shows it all. I decided to write about this because this was a moment that really opened my eyes and made me realize that people notice the small things you do and if my coworkers and I keep bringing positive attitudes to work, people will enjoy coming more often. The hardest part is dealing with a customer who is already having a rough day and is trying to ruin your own. Besides that, I love helping others and I believe making customers happy is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
401k, benefits in ico-worker, hourly salary
Cons
breaks
Fun and productive work place love it there!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PaMay 7, 2012
A typical day at work for me is basically dealing with all the customers and making sure they leave out happy. I handle the money and transactions making sure I scan evey box and small item they have. Ive learned that i have to stay calm always smiling and friendly when working with the customers. My management team I have are great. Thy are fun yet still make sure thier doing thier to the best of their ability. I love all of my co workers and I got along with them well when ever you are in need of help they are always there. Thy harder part is just picking up and moving the heavy boxes. The most enjoyable part is just having fun with the customers and doing your job the best that you know how!
IKEA, Not as Good as it looks.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 20, 2015
1. Only 4-5 hour schedule work shifts, maybe 3 days a week.
2. The pay isn't too bad, but dealing in the crazy world of retail IKEA could offer more.
3. 15% Employee Discount, 3.00 Employee lunch menu, 15 min Breaks, & 30 min lunch breaks (If you work over 6 hours)
4. Some managers are Awesome, but then you have your managers that you can do without.
5. If you ever have an issue at Ikea, don't even waist your time with Human Resource They never do anything.
6. Basically if you are full-time at IKEA then your in good hands. Part-time at IKEA just doesn't cut it to survive. I've seen employees quit, resign, or go elsewhere.
Pros
fellow employees, 15 min breaks, & 15% discount
Cons
no hours for part-time, average pay, feeling like you don't matter at times
Great company if you work at the right store
Full Time Bedroom Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXApril 15, 2014
Love Ikea. Live and breath Ikea. I worked at 2 different locations and got to see how different things can be. The 2nd location was not a good experience. Overworked, under paid, favoritism at its worst, and some managers who abuse their power.

The turn over rate is pretty high. Mostly in Food Service and Cash Lanes. They have good positions but those positions are never open up. They promote their favorites instead of the right person for the job.

I do have to say I enjoyed helping people found the furniture they were looking for or working within their budget. I also would come up with creative ideas from time to time.
Pros
free lunch on weekends
Cons
everything else
Innovative and New
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Atlanta,GaSeptember 2, 2013
A typical day at work would include clocking in and being integrated into the IKEA Culture. I love IKEA and IKEA's customers love IKEA as well. While employed at IKEA, my customer service skills were enhanced and I learned how to interact and service a variety of customers.

The Management was always supportive and had an open ear to listen and acknowledge any issues or concerns within the company. My coworkers were always cheerful, respectful, and friendly. The hardest part of the job would be learning the structure of the company because IKEA is different from most home improvement facilities. The most enjoyable part of the job was clocking in!
Pros
interacting with different cultures
Cons
staffing
Productive workplace @ Ikea
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  White Marsh, MDJuly 24, 2013
Arrive @ work Approximately 10:00 am travel to workstation, log onto computer to begin servicing clients via telephone. Service clients until break and lunch times. Lunch for approximately 45 minutes, return to workstation to service clients by creating orders, solving issues with order and referring to other departments. Work day ended approximately 6 pm. Management was very professional, co-workers were cordial and helpful. The hardest part of the job was multitasking. The most enjoyable portion of the job was helping customers choose and purchase furniture via catalog, computer and telephone.
Pros
gifts, free food.aplace to lounge or sleep during breaks
GREAT JOB.
Cashier/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJMarch 16, 2015
Best job ever, if you push aside the attitudes that you have to deal with by customers on the daily basis, and I mean REAL bad attitudes then you'll be golden here. Since IKEA is a self-serve company lots of people want to be taken care of and as the cashier, you're typically the last person to see them after they have traveled through the entire store with only seeing MAYBE one guest. They're frustrated, angry at the long lines and if you get their order wrong, you will probably hate your job that day. Great pay, great team members, great management and an overall cool laid-back environment if you do your job effectively.
Pros
benefits, pay, team members
Cons
irate customers, working past your shift time
It can get a little busy but it had a great outlook on customers and employees
Cashier (Former Employee) –  East Palo Alto, CAMarch 24, 2015
You come into work greeting all your co-workers. Have your day set out for you. I usually worked the cashier area. It was an active job and the customers were always nice. I would ring up their items take their money or credit card. Try to answer all their questions about the products and its location. Items would be sometimes heavy but thankfully there would always be someone around to assist me if I needed help. I enjoyed working there for the short period of time that I was there because Ikea really has there business well put together.
Pros
The break room had hot food and vending machines that were affordable.
Cons
Would of liked more hours.
Enjoyable place to work
Cash Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasJuly 1, 2015
• Ensure that customers experience a positive safe shopping experience by ensuing customer convenience standards are exceeded while balancing the needs of the customer with store operational procedures and financial goals
• Responsible for processing and posting of sales summaries and bank statements
• Supervised 30+ cashiers, monitoring, and maintaining basic actions
• Collate and report daily and weekly sales to all levels of the business
• Set-up, managed and controlled the payments of all direct debits
• Prepare journals for corrections and unpaid checks
• Manage and set-up store bank accounts as necessary, including
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
work holidays
Fast Pace, high customer contact
Kitchen Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 30, 2012
I have learned a lot working at IKEA. IKEA offers alot of training classes, not just for competency but also about the culture of the company, Leadership training, Situational Leadership and much more. There is a staff cafe', where coworkers do not have to leave the premises for lunch. We also have a staff lounge and work out room. The most enjoyable part of my job is the people I work with, not just my immediate team, but there are coworkers in several departments that will be life long friends
Pros
raises every year, and christmas gifts. lunch on site daily, awesome benefits, even for pt workers
Cons
short lunch breaks, weekend and closing shifts for every worker
Exiting Global company, great culture
Kitchen Planner (Former Employee) –  Centennial CoApril 13, 2014
The opportunity to create yet another beautiful room in someone's home was such a pleasure. Interior Design is so fulfilling and exciting. In addition to that, I worked with one of the best teams possible in the Kitchen Department. We are bonded and supportive of one another, beyond the ties of family. We sold an incredible line of cabinets and appliances. The simplicity of installation and flexibility were the outstanding features that customers were impressed with. I expanded my knowledge of personalities and how to approach them. I feel very confident in my customer service skills.
Pros
exceptional benefits, great culture, excitinf environment
high school environment where the high school dweebs call the shots
customer realtions (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 25, 2015
Unless you are team lead or manager you dont have adequate work life balance. Especially in the summer at ikea Brooklyn. They company sweedish prinicipals are poorly executed at the store. Manager and team lack the ability to manage and lead team. They collect check and make costly mistakes. The only reason why they thrive is because of the inflow of convient customers. However the staff at the store are juvenile and cant seem to work together to meet the customer needs. They make broken promises to the customer as well as the coworker. They need a new steering group
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
healthcare, and you are not valued
Management Team
Aftersales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nottingham,MDDecember 21, 2014
Typical day at work of a Aftersales Advisor consist of taking calls from customers with multiple problems. Anything that a average customer service representative could handle. as far as the "IKEA Way" of things. The management team SUCKS. it mostly consist of who like who more or whose friends with who. Your work ethic means nothing at IKEA, you can be the worst problem solver and still surpass a qualified candidate for promotion! This job would be a lot easier or work better if the whole HR and Management team were replaced. There is more I could say about this unethical company, But I do not want to waste any more of my time..
Pros
healthcare benefits, co workers, close to mall
productive and fun workplace
Logistics Co-Worker (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 23, 2013
great people, great company. I worked three years in Sales and learned a lot about merchandising and customer service. I spent one year in safety and security learning the operations of the store. The last two years I worked there, I was in the offsite warehouse receiving incoming shipments using a counter-balance forklift. After they were received, they were moved to their home locations using a reach lift, electric pallet jack or a manual pallet jack. After the store opened, we pulled customer orders, maintained space capacities and inventory. I always enjoyed the fast paced environment and helping people turn their houses into homes.
A Job that is non stop
Frontline Team Lead (Assistant Manager) (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 18, 2012
Front Line Team Lead Position is support to the front end of this organization. Cashiers, Returns, and Customer Service. Our Team is usually the last contact for all customers and on a busy weekend day will keep you on your feet 8-10 hours answering questions , supporting the front end staff and delivering a high llevel of customer service.
Financial responsibilities, team building, coworker support and decipline round out a typical day at IKEA.
Oh did I mention some great products at Great Prices supported by a strong Management Team
Pros
great for a multitasking individual
Cons
some days the sheer numbers of customers wear you out.
Not a place for dedicated individuals
Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 2, 2014
The Atlanta store is managed like a dictatorship and if you are not liked then you are harassed needlessly written up and ousted from your job. daily threats and improper counseling are a few of the problems. Co workers are treated like trash. False Accusations are a daily event. A typical work week is 75 hours. I learned to watch my back the military taught me better. the best part of my job was working with the coworkers and taking care of them. the hardest part was dealing with horrible store manager who only sees his own shine and who intimidates all. The most enjoyable part is that im not there anymore.
Cons
steping stone to better
Great culture, with individuality emphasis on employees
Logistics/ Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZDecember 10, 2013
Ikea is a great company to work for. Innovative, consumer friendly, and unique in style at an affordable market. Management team is always encouraging, consistent feedback, and allows employees to make mistakes to learn from them. Employees of Ikea are unique, different and encourage to express their individuality. Fast paced, productive environment with a great workers and a great time.

Unfortunately I was hired as part-time and only receiving 17 a week at times. Not enough to sustain myself and not viable for the commute back and forth.
Pros
expression of indiviuality
Cons
limited availability of hours given
Productive and fun place to work with tv room and pool tables
Cash Lane Supervisor (Former Employee) –  E Palo Alto, CAMay 15, 2012
I manage the cash lanes and returns also reconcile the float bags.
I have learned a lot about the electronic reconciliation process as well as managing the returns dept as far as what to look for and what to return.
All of the job was enjoyable to ,e I loved working with my co-workers as well as my management team.

The hardest part of my job I would say was having to deal with abusive customers who verbally attacked some of my employees and I would have to calm them down as well as make the co-worker feel safe in their work enviorment
Pros
free lunch and 15 percent off purchases in store
Cons
not to flexible with hours
Good benefits, poor management
Customer Service & Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJJune 7, 2015
The job being in Retail had varying hours that were sometimes 1 day a week to almost a full week of 14 hours a day.

The job is a good starter job and gave me a lot of experience. The company growth for employees was low however under the right management could possibly allow growth and help gaining more responsibility.

Management was unorganized and gave a lot of write-ups to many undeserving people. I think the principal job culture of Ikea is very good but I see it gets lost in translation by managers that don't really care for the company and see this as a job and not a career.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Uneducated managers
Great job for students
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 7, 2012
A typical day at work can either go smoothly or be a nightmare depending on the type of coverage we have for the day. Most of the time the cash lanes are understaffed due to excessive call outs, making productivity and customer satisfaction hard to accomplish. However, this disadvantage encourages workers to problem solve, work more efficiently and assume leadership roles if the managers aren't available. I enjoy the challenge of my job, it keeps me energized and always alert because at any moment solutions must be thought up quickly.
Pros
flexible with work/life balance
Cons
lack of communication among management and departments