Illinois Department Of Corrections Employee Reviews

Good Enviroments
Commissary employee (Former Employee) –  Mt. Sterling, ILDecember 1, 2017
Just do your job and everything else fall in play. It’s a nice working environment. People are friendly and nice. You stand on your feet all day. I would suggest to young people.
Business Manager for Adult Transition Center
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2017
Performed responsible managerial duties in the administration of the fiscal and business operation at Westside Adult Transition Center. Manage fiscal budget. Supervised and managed financial operations.
Pros
Managing day to day operations
lacking in advancement
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Lawrence County, ILNovember 11, 2017
slow pace, daily paper work knowledge of Illinois laws and codes deal with Inmates on a daily basis a lot of walking constant alertness moving inmates to and from where they need to be
Pros
job security
Cons
keep getting bounced to different shifts
Na
Corrections Officer, Menard Correctional Center (Current Employee) –  Chester, ILNovember 1, 2017
Physically patrolled and visually inspected units, prisoners, prisoner property and clothing to ensure the welfare, safety and security of inmates, guests and guards. Worked variable shifts based on the need for officers at any given time.
Pros
staff
Cons
staff
Unrealistic Expectations
Psychologist (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, ILOctober 9, 2017
Unpredictable, highly political, and highly stressful. Currently functioning under a lawsuit agreement to improve mental health services. Primarily provide crisis intervention; caseloads can consist of up to 150 clients. An abundance of paperwork/ documentation is required daily to ensure compliance with court mandates.
Fun place to work.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Menard Correctional Center - Chester, ILOctober 9, 2017
A typical day consisted of preparing and reviewing rosters, assigning staff to positions, preparing and reviewing reports, conducting roll call and staff accountability, and ensuring the rules and regulations were enforced and adhered to. I learned how to get the most out of my staff by learning their strengths and weaknesses and what motivates them. My supervisors (management) were great and they allowed me to do my job by giving me direction and letting me make the necessary decisions and take the appropriate actions to achieve the end result. The staff enjoyed working with and helping each other to complete the task at hand in order to create a good working environment. The hardest part of the job was trying to convince hostile inmates that they were wrong and there was a better way to solve the problem. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching someone who I had trained and mentored receive a promotion.
Pros
Pay, working as a team
Cons
Angry Inmates
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Kewanee, ILOctober 3, 2017
Currently working at the best facility in the State of Illinois! We were previously a Juvenile facility working with the super-max juvenile's! We are currently a Life Skills and Reentry Center. Our facility houses offenders who have been locked up for several years and are nearing the end of their stay with IDOC. Our facility is designed to instruct and help these offenders become prepared to re-enter society. It is our mission to give these offenders the tools and skills that they need in order to become productive citizens in our society!
What Management wanted
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILSeptember 24, 2017
Our mission was to protect and secure the inmates at Stateville Correctional Center. The management was glad people showed up for work. There was no job too hard.
Not a place for average people
Law Library Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ina, ILSeptember 12, 2017
Correctional Officers are both aggressive and very moody from moment to moment. Unfriendly atmosphere and management allows such behaviors. Environment unsafe and security personnel lazy and lax.
Pros
Meals provided
Cons
Danger
It was a very good cultural experience
Correctional officer (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILSeptember 5, 2017
Working around incarcerated persons was a great experience and gave me a outlook on new experiences in life. It taught me to be a better man. I have a new respect for life.
Pros
Good pay
Eye opening
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Centralia, ILSeptember 4, 2017
It's what you make it , but have great opportunity for advancement. They allow you to apply in any other field after a year. I enjoyed my time here, I was treated like family.
Not recommended to work at
Corrections officer (Former Employee) –  East St. Louis, ILAugust 26, 2017
Worked hard for 2 years, didn't get the appreciation from majors, harassed by co workers. Long work days, easy money, odd work days, no weekends off, paid holidays.
Cons
No breaks
Great to Work for.
Correctional Residence Counselor 1 (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILAugust 25, 2017
The hiring process is a bit slow, but work conditions, salary, and benefits are good. I like the people I work with and hope to make a career out of the agency.
Pros
Wage
Crazy!
Correctional officer (Former Employee) –  Lawrence correctional centerAugust 8, 2017
Stressful job you get mandated to work another shift 15 minutes before you go home! You get pepper sprayed breaking up fights and get sued a lot by inmates!
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Stress back stabbing and flat out lieing
A good place to work, with some exceptions.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, ILAugust 4, 2017
It was a hard place to work, but if you got along with the upper management it was better, if not then you got all the bad jobs. They did not want to listen to a better way of doing the job. They wanted it done their way even if it meant longer, harder hours.
Pros
Great pay.
Cons
Short breaks, not given breaks when it was regulated by the State.
Great place to work with good pay and benefits
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Crest Hill, ILAugust 4, 2017
Some would say working for the Illinois Department of Corrections is not a job for everyone. With the training and the management I believe the job can be for anyone. A typical day there is fairly simple, and you'll hear most people that are employed there say the hardest part about the job for me is getting up and going. you will enjoy the workplace culture because everyone is like family.
very profesional
Illinois Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  stateville il.July 31, 2017
good advancement, and good friends i worked with . the job is kind of stressful but it keeps you on your toes. fellow officers always help out if you need it.
Pros
good leadership and people work with.
Cons
short breaks and high stress
Lieutenant (Current Employee) –  Danville, ILJuly 27, 2017
Very good place to work. I have been here for 22 plus years but to retire and move on. I get alot of vacation time and the benefits are very good. Good staff as well
Pros
Free lunches, great pay and benefits
Cons
The environment was stressful due to the majority of workers who did not tespect mental health.
Mental Health Professional (Former Employee) –  Pere Marquette, Grafton, IlJune 25, 2017
I worked at a juvenil correction facility called Pere Marquette, which was part of the Illinois Department of Corrections. It was a minimum security facility in Grafton, Il. I provided individual therapy to Juvenile offenders on an individual basis. I also led anger management groups on a routine basis. I led the crisis management team providing training on a monthly basis. I also provided individual treatment plan development on each offender who has a designated mental health status.
Pros
Good pay, fair manager
Cons
Position was only contractual, no benefits.
Job
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dixon, ILMay 8, 2017
Dominated my life with poor days off and high stress level. Had to work 3-11 and had few holidays off. Totally dominated my life. Command staff sometimes were incompetent and treated COs poorly. Job security was great but put life in jeopardy every day. Not mentally stimulating and most days were the same thing.
Pros
job security
Cons
stress and having to work 3-11 with few holidays off.