Illinois Department Of Corrections Employee Reviews in United States

Productive/Room for growth
Community Outreach Administrator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 11, 2016
Like anything else you need to take advantage of opportunities, and work as hard as you can. I have this type of work ethic and as a result I always move forward. I love working with people and this position gave me the mobility to do so.
Excellent Career
Correctional Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Dixon, ILMarch 22, 2016
Provided constant training, to provide the best security within the institution and the community. Ended a 20 plus year career with great staff and management.
Pros
Satisfaction on providing security within the institution, and the local community.
Idoc
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, ILJanuary 27, 2016
The Culture isn't something to brag about, that's for sure. However, since there will always be a system to contain people who may or may not have broken the law, it's job security. Great Benefits aren't good enough for a job with no feeling of fulfillment. I'm not sure any analytical corrections officer would suggest working corrections.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
corruption, culture, safety
Great learning experience
Legal Assistant/Intern (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJanuary 25, 2016
Working for the Illinois Department of Corrections was an amazing opportunity for me. I was able to take away many skills that make me a more valuable assets to many organizations.
Great Camaraderie, Security Minded, and Fantastic Work Experience
correctional officer (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, ILDecember 11, 2015
A typical day at work required responding to emergency situations and writing thorough and detailed reports. I learned how to multi-task more efficiently and how to be aware of my surroundings. Management was always concerned with officer safety. Co-workers always assisted others with anything they could. The hardest part of the job was always knowing the immediate danger you had to put yourself in. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing everyone went home safe at the end of their shift.
Pros
Excellent Benefits, Work Experience, and Salary.
Cons
The administration is terrible, and the union isn't united at all. Getting time off is nearly impossible.
Sum levels of stress. Great Officers. Good work friendships.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILDecember 10, 2015
Sum levels of stress. combative setting. physical setting. Learned how to display levels of power,strength, mental stability, assertiveness, and good listening skills and unique behaviors.
Pros
Learned about various behavior issues.
Cons
Hard too request a day off.
Difficult work environment
ELECTRICIAN (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILSeptember 29, 2015
Working as a tradesman within a state prison can be an interesting career full of challenges. A typical workday will sometimes make an employee feel as though they are incarcerated as well. Restrictions beginning with a search to enter and cell phone prohibition are some of many to consider. This environment is not for everyone.
This was a chance at a very well paid job.
Correctional Food Sanitation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sumner, ILJune 19, 2015
I enjoyed most everything about the job. It's challenges, fast pace, and working with the inmates who were paying the debt to society. I found that I could not relate to the Union mind set. I saw many of my fellow Food Supervisors with dirty work uniforms due to their lack of wanting to present themselves in a professional manner. I found that my fellow Food Supervisors lacked the education, or just did not care , to keep the food at the proper temperatures to insure the safety of the product to both the inmates and employees of the prison. Also the equipment was in poor condition along with the plumbing and the state budget just was not there to bring both up to its proper place.
Pros
Salary, benefits
Cons
Working with union workers who liked the salary, and benefits but did not seem to care about professionalism.
Provides security and correctional behavior for the States prison population.
Legislative Liaison (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 13, 2015
Toured facilities; attended ceremonies acknowledging goals and accomplishments met by inmates; provided information to legislators regarding issues/complaints from inmates and or family members.
fulfilling
Records Clerk/Law Librarian (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 26, 2015
This was a great opportunity to help others. The opportunity to teach, a training others. I also learned and kept an up to date understanding of the judicial system.
Pros
learned alot about the judicial system
Cons
dangerous environment
turn me from a boy to a man
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 4, 2015
i needed to join some type of military organization, because i wasnt ready for school at that time in my life.the experience made me a more driven and disciplined person.
Pros
discipline, team player
Great job security.
Corrections Parole Agent III - Senior Parole Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 23, 2015
Not much room for advancement. Management is based on who you know, not based on merit. Women have a greater chance advancement.
Professional, consistent, and cooperative work place
Correctional Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Taylorville, ILNovember 15, 2014
Class was taught for 4 hours a day, designed to teach life skills for success once released from facility.

Management encouraged to research and design new workshops for inmates.

Co-workers were very helpful and cooperative.

The hardest part of the job was keeping the students engadged and participating with all of the different levels of education and age differences and economic levels.

Seeing the students make changes in their life attitude, and showed a desire to give up old self destructive habits.
Pros
excellent pay and benefits
Cons
frustrating at times when inmates refuses to acknowledge self destructive behavior.
Juvenile Corrections
YSII (Former Employee) –  South Elgin, ILNovember 4, 2014
I enjoyed this position very much. It gave me the opportunity to affect the lives of young people. Although they were incarcerated, I felt I had a positive influence.
Pros
the benefits were good, i enjoyed working with my fellow employees
Cons
facility closed
Paramilitary work environment, but wonderful supervisors
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2014
Work under the CIO to see what tasks needed completion for the day.

I learned how to work with different entities, and to keep everyone on task for different projects.

I did not work with many of my co-workers at IDOC, rather I worked with employees from other corporations and organizations.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with the para-military aspects of the job i.e. security

Changing peoples lives with the work we did.
Productive Work Place
Clerk/Typist (Former Employee) –  East Saint Louis, ILSeptember 23, 2014
very busy, high demand, fast past, cultured, unique.
It is a very unique job with many roles per position.
Extremely busy constantly- which is what i like about the job the most.
Very cultured- work with any/every type of people.
Managmment was wonderful.
Co-workers were very gossipy and judgemental: but above all decent people.
Hardest part of the job was learning the system.
Pros
brotherhood
Cons
gossip
Best place to see people at their worst.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Mt Sterling IlSeptember 16, 2014
Corrections has gone from a tight brotherhood to a loose group of co-workers, many of who will use any means they can to get ahead, even if it means turning their back on that brotherhood. And if the officers are tight, management and the inmates are a constant source of conflict. And with today's correctional mentality, staff are considered to be worse than inmates (we're the bad guys, not them), often leaving staff out in the cold. Inmates have more rights than law abiding staff, and management usually takes an inmate's word over staff. Do not expect people to stand up for you when accusations start to fly, even if you are in the right. You will lose.
Pros
great benefits, pay.
Cons
hostile work environment.
good place to work at.
correction officer (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILAugust 18, 2014
it was challenging but a good job. great people to work with. but stay safe by doing your job correctly. don't take anything for granted.
benefits
Cons
long hours, low man power
see explanation below
Correctional Sergeant (Former Employee) –  taylorville correctional centerAugust 3, 2014
My correctional career was very enjoyable. Would actually do it again. Very interesting and very nice people to work with. Very productive. My job was not hard. Was meeting new people. Working with the public.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
when a fight broke out
Good Department with lots of overtime.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJuly 23, 2014
The department is a good department to work for, good training, job security, free uniforms and plenty of overtime for financial purposes.
Pros
job security and good wages and benefits.
Cons
mandatory overtime and stressful work