Illinois Department Of Corrections

Illinois Department Of Corrections United States Employee Reviews

fulfilling
Records Clerk/Law Librarian (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 26, 2015
Pros: learned alot about the judicial system
Cons: dangerous environment
This was a great opportunity to help others. The opportunity to teach, a training others. I also learned and kept an up to date understanding of the judicial system.
turn me from a boy to a man
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Springfield, ILMarch 4, 2015
Pros: discipline, team player
i needed to join some type of military organization, because i wasnt ready for school at that time in my life.the experience made me a more driven and disciplined person.
Great job security.
Corrections Parole Agent III - Senior Parole Agent (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 23, 2015
Not much room for advancement. Management is based on who you know, not based on merit. Women have a greater chance advancement.
Professional, consistent, and cooperative work place
Correctional Counselor II (Former Employee), Taylorville, ILNovember 15, 2014
Pros: excellent pay and benefits
Cons: frustrating at times when inmates refuses to acknowledge self destructive behavior.
Class was taught for 4 hours a day, designed to teach life skills for success once released from facility.

Management encouraged to research and design new workshops for inmates.

Co-workers were very helpful and cooperative.

The hardest part of the job was keeping the students engadged and participating with all of the different levels of education and age differences and economic levels.

Seeing the students make changes in their life attitude, and showed a desire to give up old self destructive habits.
Juvenile Corrections
YSII (Former Employee), South Elgin, ILNovember 4, 2014
Pros: the benefits were good, i enjoyed working with my fellow employees
Cons: facility closed
I enjoyed this position very much. It gave me the opportunity to affect the lives of young people. Although they were incarcerated, I felt I had a positive influence.
Paramilitary work environment, but wonderful supervisors
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2014
Work under the CIO to see what tasks needed completion for the day.

I learned how to work with different entities, and to keep everyone on task for different projects.

I did not work with many of my co-workers at IDOC, rather I worked with employees from other corporations and organizations.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with the para-military aspects of the job i.e. security

Changing peoples lives with the work we did.
Productive Work Place
Clerk/Typist (Former Employee), East Saint Louis, ILSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: brotherhood
Cons: gossip
very busy, high demand, fast past, cultured, unique.
It is a very unique job with many roles per position.
Extremely busy constantly- which is what i like about the job the most.
Very cultured- work with any/every type of people.
Managmment was wonderful.
Co-workers were very gossipy and judgemental: but above all decent people.
Hardest part of the job was learning the system.
Best place to see people at their worst.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Mt Sterling IlSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: great benefits, pay.
Cons: hostile work environment.
Corrections has gone from a tight brotherhood to a loose group of co-workers, many of who will use any means they can to get ahead, even if it means turning their back on that brotherhood. And if the officers are tight, management and the inmates are a constant source of conflict. And with today's correctional mentality, staff are considered to be worse than inmates (we're the bad guys, not them), often leaving staff out in the cold. Inmates have more rights than law abiding staff, and management usually takes an inmate's word over staff. Do not expect people to stand up for you when accusations start to fly, even if you are in the right. You will lose.
good place to work at.
correction officer (Current Employee), Saint Charles, ILAugust 18, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: long hours, low man power
it was challenging but a good job. great people to work with. but stay safe by doing your job correctly. don't take anything for granted.
see explanation below
Correctional Sergeant (Former Employee), taylorville correctional centerAugust 3, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: when a fight broke out
My correctional career was very enjoyable. Would actually do it again. Very interesting and very nice people to work with. Very productive. My job was not hard. Was meeting new people. Working with the public.
Good Department with lots of overtime.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Joliet, ILJuly 23, 2014
Pros: job security and good wages and benefits.
Cons: mandatory overtime and stressful work
The department is a good department to work for, good training, job security, free uniforms and plenty of overtime for financial purposes.
Maintaining the safety and security of the inmates and co-workers
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), East Saint Louis, ILJune 25, 2014
Pros: good benefits and pay.
Cons: seniority based which affects days off and shift
A workplace that is revolved around maintaining the security of the institution. Workdays were very repetitive. The institutions daily functions required great teamwork. You learn to work with a diverse group of people. Also, a workplace that is based on seniority, which affects work hours and days off.
The worst place I've ever worked
Corrections Officer (Former Employee), Lawrence CountyApril 6, 2014
Pros: you do nothing and get paid well.
Cons: the employees are spoiled and can't get fired because of the union.
People are paid an over the top salary compared to what they do and all they do is complain. Honestly the only thing that gets done with Illinois Department of Corrections is playing cards, eating, using the bathroom, and yes complaining. The corrections officers are paid 50,000 dollars a year on the tax payers backs to sit on their butts and complain that they are not making enough (spoiled). Also, I've seen a lot of bullying within the correctional officers and the management look the other way. Other people are working real jobs and get paid 20,000 dollars per yer. There's something wrong here in the state of Illinois.
Typically easy job with some risk and stress
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), IllinoisDecember 28, 2013
This is a typical correctional officer job. One must be aware of their surroundings and ready for anything.
Good Job but had to move on.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Sheridan, ILDecember 3, 2013
Pros: great pay
Cons: stressful environmant
Everyday I maintained safety and security throughout the institution. Each cell house was different but I never had any issues with the inmates. I felt the day went as smooth as you make it but there were alot of days I worked 16 hours so that became very tiresome. Although the money was great it was very time consuming and exhausting. All in all the job was great but I decided to relocate to California because I knew id be happier there.
A good place to work for those interested in security related fields.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Ina, ILOctober 22, 2013
A typical day at work required responding to emergency situations and writing thorough and detailed reports. I learned how to multi-task more efficiently and how to be aware of my surroundings. Management was always concerned with officer safety. Co-workers always assisted others with anything they could. The hardest part of the job was always knowing the immediate danger you had to put yourself in. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing everyone went home safe at the end of their shift.
stress level very high and survived after 25 year's working
Correctional Lieutenant (Former Employee), Dixon, ILJune 18, 2013
Pros: benefits were good
Cons: getting mandated for 18 hours five days strait
Every day was different it could be good or bad depends on the inmate's. I learned how to talk to people. Management was trying at some point. The Officer's all looked out for each other. They depended on me to look out for them and to back them up.The hardest part is seeing a co-worker get injured by a inmate or you finding a inmate dead after a suicide. The enjoyable part of the job that you got to go home without getting injured or killed by a inmate
maintaining security, custody and control of inmate's and their movement
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), Joliet,IlApril 25, 2013
I am currently on the midnights 11p-7a shift. On midnights, the shift begins with inmate accountability(count). On the average employee moral is good. I am one to keep a positive attitude and I always try to encourage people in general. Our current supervisors help keep communication amongst employee's and themselves pertaining to inmate activities. my co-workers get along very well. The hardest part of this job is remaining mentally strong to deal with the different attitudes and personalities of inmate's as well as employee's. I enjoy helping other people and encouraging people to do better.
Good experience
Project Management Intern (Former Employee), Springfield ILApril 22, 2013
Daily work consisted of a variety of projects including creating a sustainability plan, monitoring gardens, vermicultire, and procurement. Above all I learned to meet deadlines and plan a day. My supervisors were strong motivators, though I occasionally had to ask for more work.
Great stepping stone for other work
Corrections Officer (Current Employee), Sumner, ILApril 4, 2013
Pros: pay, job security, schedule
Cons: safety and security is lacking, management looks out for offender rather than officer.
Typical day for a second shift officer has both and good, depending on the job assignment. We have "T" shaped houses with three wings known as A, B, or C and Control. First shift has an officer per spot (4) but, second shift gets only three officers to run a house leaving on officer to run A/B or B/C while the other floor officer has one wing. Short staff is responsible for this and it is a safety and security issue.

Illinois DOC is falling apart, it is good experience but, it should only be used as a stepping stone to better yourself for the job market.

Illinois Department Of Corrections Salaries