Illinois Department Of Corrections Employee Reviews

Very slow pace of work; not much to accomplish
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, ILMarch 17, 2017
The shifts, such as 3pm-11pm or 11pm-7am, makes a hardship for families when your days off are Wednesday/Thursday with very little time to take a day off on a Saturday to spend time with family. A typical day of work is signing paper, counting inmates leaving and returning, signing a log book every 30 minutes and conducting 2 property searches. The workplace culture is very diverse with inmates from all backgrounds of life. Also the management treats newer officers different based on seniority. There is a "Substitution Slip" which is I work another person's shift and they work one of mine, we do so in order to have an extra day off.
Pros
Free lunch, Substitution Slips, compensation
Cons
All based on seniority, back shifts and middle of week days off.
It was a good job.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILMarch 5, 2017
It was a good job that I actually loved. It was personal reasons that I quit. I was two hours away from home and it was difficult with small children. I wished it was easier to get a job transfer, but I couldn't at the time. I learned a lot. The management was helpful for the most part. I learned to work with a lot of different cultures of people, inmates and staff. I felt that I did the job very well.
Interesting job
Account Tech II (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, ILFebruary 13, 2017
IDOC is a career choice to each individual. You have to be able to multi task You have to be enable to interact with people from all walks of life
Pros
Steady employment Great benefits
Good money, Good Benifits... so far
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Galesburg, IL 61401February 3, 2017
Good money, State will try to take away benefits Governors can make your life miserable and dangerous. Constantly changing Policies causing more work for you.
Worse job ever
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Ina, ILJanuary 29, 2017
One of the worse jobs I have ever had treated me like a slave. I would work a lot of hours for next to nothing. I would never recommend this job to anyone.
endless learning
Cook/Inventory Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJanuary 24, 2017
Although I made very minimal money working here, I learned a lot. I was given the opportunity to improve on my cooking experience. I also observed various types of work ethic.
Job security and open 24 hours a day 7 days a week
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Sheridan, ILJanuary 15, 2017
Due to confidentiality reasons, I will choose not to review this employer. Any information regarding this employer can be found on the official Illinois Department of Corrections website.
Productive place to work for
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Pinckneyville, ILJanuary 11, 2017
I loved my job, certain members of the command staff made it a horrible place to work for, lots of backstabbing that took place, I was passed over for promotions numerous times. I ultimately left due to some unforeseen problems with my fathers health, the union refused to fight for me so I resigned.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Horrible command staff
Great benefits
Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILDecember 28, 2016
Daily office work and office management of duties. Challenges of handling multiple co workers and their needs. The benefits are the greatest asset for working for the department.
Correctional Officer
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, ILDecember 20, 2016
Surprivise inmates in housing units and those segregated
Make periodic patrols of quarters and work areas
Initiate counts of inmates at regular and irregular intervals

Want to know more about Illinois Department Of Corrections?

Ask a question
horrible managment, it's who you know now that you do
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, ILDecember 4, 2016
been in Pontiac Correctional Center for 16 years.

First off, the place is old, smells of human feces most times and you get the climate extremes. Hot and Humid in summer and hot or Cold in winter(remember this place is Really old and uses boiler/steam radiant heating system)

Second. It's a prison, you will be dealing with the worst cases of human depravity as well as hopelessness. also do not forget the majority influences the minority, so you will become callus to say the least.

Finally. this whole department is political so forget it making sense. 9 times out of 10. Your front line management are petty towards the front line staff(they honestly act like royalty), but don't let that anger you, you should feel pity for them. for behind the scenes they are the "scapegoats" for all the other tiers of management. and how they treat front line staff, which is horrible, it pales in comparison to how they are treated by the upper echelons. Management does not care about your safety, I will say it again, Management Does NOT care about your safety. they care about politics and politics alone.

I hope this helps you, and you may think I am biased. come work with me and find out. you'll regret you did.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
There was a lot of undue stress, gossip and people standing around
Logan Correctional Center, Laundry Manager (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, ILNovember 18, 2016
Rules changed daily. It's a high stress environment. You can't trust anybody. Nobody wants to do their jobs. They want to sit and around and talk about everyone else. I would not recommend this job to anyone. EVER.
Great
Library Associate (Current Employee) –  East Moline, ILNovember 15, 2016
This is a great place to work, great place to provide for a family, with great benefits. Union proud, union co workers, union protection.
It was nearly impossible to get time off
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILNovember 2, 2016
I had planned on corrections being my lifetime career. However, its nearly impossible to get any time off. I have boys that need me at home. The money is awesome! The hardest part is that there is no job satisfaction. It mentally drains you and is extremely boring.
Pros
Meeting all kinds of different people and the money
Cons
Not family oriented
It is what you make it.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Crest Hill, ILAugust 3, 2016
Everyday was a new adventure. You never knew for sure what your day was going to be like, but if you walked into the cellhouse and everything was quiet, you knew your day was going to be different.
now is not a good time to be working for the state
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Menard, ILJuly 15, 2016
With all the problems the state of Illinois is having with the budget no raises are available until the budget is solved.
Pros
overtime
Cons
no raises currently, no air conditioning
a brother/sisterhood of family
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, ILJuly 10, 2016
always stay diligent and be aware of your surroundings at all times. A job worth providing for your family, and this job is one of the toughest mentally and physically.
Pros
stability
Cons
contractual job with the state
Very interesting job.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Sheridan, ILJune 28, 2016
Was my first full time everyday job. Something different every day while working there. Worked with good people while there.
Productive/Room for growth
Community Outreach Administrator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 11, 2016
Like anything else you need to take advantage of opportunities, and work as hard as you can. I have this type of work ethic and as a result I always move forward. I love working with people and this position gave me the mobility to do so.
Productive workplace with minimal distractions and clear expectations
Warehouse Packer\Stocker (Former Employee) –  Pinckneyville, ILApril 11, 2016
A typical day at work was pretty much uneventful and grueling. I learned the value of working as a team and communicating to get things done as opposed to trying to shoulder too much of a burden individually. Management was diligent and never far away. My co-workers were cooperative and had good habits that influenced how I adjusted to the job. The hardest part of the job was staying motivated to do tiring work that had no real excitement. The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling of accomplishment each day after work and understanding that I was earning my pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Illinois Department Of Corrections. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9