Illinois Institute of Art Employee Reviews

Productive and Great Work/Life Balance
Financial Aid Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 13, 2017
I would review students awards and work with them on financing their education through grants, loans and GI Bills.

I learned patience and great customer service skills.
Poor management - no advancement
Purchaser (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2016
Did not enjoy going to work each day, everyone bad mouths each other. The management was absent most of the time. I did like my co-workers and the students, but that was about it.
Great place to work while attending school
Librarian (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 4, 2016
Learned how to multi-task with getting my daily tasks finished while helping patrons through out the day.

Learned how to think on my feet with hurried demands from patrons that needed answers quickly.

The most enjoyable part about the job is the manager works with you as a worker and as a student, helping with making a work schedule that works around our class schedule.
Pros
Free colored prints
Cons
only work up to 20 hours max a week
The Library Staff was nice and professional
Library Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 21, 2016
I would of loved to keep doing this but I had to leave the school because of personal problems I had with their ethics. their was a lot of down time to do homework, and the head Librarian was relay nice.
Fun Environment. Flexible hours
Lab Lounge Assistant (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJanuary 28, 2015
Good co-workers, job security, first face for new students to see
Frequent reorganization and layoffs
Associate Director, Student Financial Services (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJune 27, 2014
Great people to work with locally, however corporate often cuts positions to increase profits.
Productive environment with heavy work flow
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 24, 2014
A typical day at work consist of processing or filing thousands of student information at a relatively fast paced environment. What I learned was that I should pace myself, although my productivity was high it leaves me in a standstill when my work has been completed. Conclusion I need to work at a slower pace that would allow me to stretch my work for the entirety of the day. Management was fine. I really never had any problems with it. My co-workers were just my co-works, we assist each other when needed or tried to push each other little harder. When you a room with documents all day you sometimes need the extra push. Overall I did enjoy the job. It was the right tempo for me and didn't require me to exert myself. Sure the job was difficult at times but the results I delivered to this company not only benefited them but benefited me too. I enjoyed working for that company and wouldn't mind working for a company just like it.
Pros
Study flow of work if you pace yourself
Cons
It can get tedious at times and make you sleepy with how quiet the place can be
Exciting, ever-changing daily workload
Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILApril 26, 2014
Over the past two years I've added some very marketable professional skills by working as Assistant Director of Admissions at the Illinois Institute of Art. I've learned more about public speaking, presenting, problem solving, financial aid, and customer focus. The best part of my job is seeing a student through the process and watching their level of excitement grow and to see them be successful in the process. The worst part may be the hours of work, which make it difficult to have a life outside of work.
Very fun and easy workplace
Student employee A/V Dept.  (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 24, 2013
i loved working at the art institute, the co workers were all students and everyone was able to learn off eachother. The job consisted of helping teachers and student with making copies and handing out A/V equipment. During the breaks we would clean all the computers in the classrooms and reset them. It was alot of fun and everyone i worked with was fantastic. Management was fliexible and understanding of school and life issues, this was probably my favorite job ever. There really was nothing hard about this job except maybe the copy machine backing up and unhappy student sand teachers!
Pros
fun job, great co workers, easy job
Cons
in the middle of downtown.
All about Money
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 23, 2013
This company is terrible to work for. All they care about is getting students in the chair. Most of the management is incompetent and not qualified. Good luck moving up unless you are a butt kisser. I did meet some wonderful people.
Pros
Cons
Everything else
Associate Director of Student Finance (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 13, 2013
Great work environment and awesome people to work with.
Responsible for Financial Aid for over 650 students, and ensure that the school is within federal compliance.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Management.
Professional
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILSeptember 19, 2012
Comfortable invironment, informed instructors, helpful co-workers, management communicates well. Hardest part is physical nature of work, easiest part is I like the work.
Pros
free parking
Fast Pace
Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 1, 2012
AI was the type of place were you needed to be on your toes at all times. I learned a lot about student interactions and it will always have a special place in my heart.
Easy going laid back job
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 29, 2012
We were responsible for answering phones, passing out and supervising test-taking, tutoring students who needed help in our subject. I enjoyed helping students understand the basics of my program and networking with my coworkers, who were students in other majors.
Pros
getting to know students in other majors
Cons
rarity of students needing help in my major - web design & interactive media