Illinois Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

Innovative, Diverse
Administrative Assistant/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 29, 2015
A typical day at work is never the same, which makes my job all the more exciting. I work on data requests, manage the student workers and make sure that they complete urgent projects in addition to routine projects. I also take care of the staff office requests from small to urgent in the effort of helping the office run as efficiently as it possibly can.

I've gained management skills that help me in both my professional and personal life.

Management has taught me to have patience and to become a better listener. It has also taught me to never assume in any situation.

I appreciate working with a diverse group of people from ethnicity to a wide range in age differences.

The hardest part of my job would have to be time management because there's just not enough hours in the work day to complete everything, but this is where effective prioritizing comes into play.

The most enjoyable part of my job is watching the students grow into professional adults. In addition to this, I truly love listening to the Alumni share their college stories and commend us on the things that we are doing great as well as the things that they are not so happy with.
Pros
Flexibility with work schedules
Cons
N/A
Productive yet disorganized because of lack of communication
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 24, 2014
A typical day at work was to continue your research, do what you know kinda attitude from your professor as long as the work is done before the deadline.

Things learned during my research is how to apply my fundamental knowledge in chemical engineering to different problems and make it more sustainable

Co-workers were from different fields and I had to apply my management skills and understanding to get my points across

The hardest part of the job was time management because everyone had different issues to take care of and no one could be there on time during group meetings

The best part of the job is the pure satisfaction of winning awards and watching people appreciate your work. achievements like winning a silver medal for my water research theme, winning First place in sustainability for storm water management, and finalist for the clean energy competition.
good learning experience at IIT
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 29, 2013
I worked as a graduate student in a IIT/FDA joint research facility, and focused on the study of food proteins during thermal processing. As a student, I not only learned the important knowledge regarding food proteins, also about the regulation system in the US. During my study at IIT, I learned how to professionally communicate to other people, to train other new students, and to present my research at national academic conventions. The hardest part of my work was due to the fact that some of techniques used were new even to the professor I work for, and no one in our group knew how to apply them. But it also came as the most interesting challenge for me. I read the references and the producer menus, practiced a lot, and I finally managed to apply these new skills into my research. This is the most exciting moment that I accomplished something with my intelligence and hard-working.
Education/ Processed Payroll for the Engineering Departments
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 31, 2012
Processed payroll starting at 8:30am until 4:30pm, Monday thru Friday until semester end. Fall, Spring and Summer.

Timelines and deadlines are a must for Payroll processing.
managing work study students

Everything, from accounting, payroll. invoices, DS-2019's, Visa Status, I-9 processing information, data entry, customer service, purchasing, catering, organizing and setting up events for more than 100 people. database management for the Thermal Processing Centers memberships, mass mailings for events or functions..organizing summer camps for the Materials Engineering Program.

assisting visitors, staff, faculty and students, while trying to meet Payroll deadlines.

ensuring every category of employment through department received pay checks in a timely manner.
Pros
university closes at year end with pay
Cons
could never be off during payroll processing
Good School, Mediocre Workplace
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 7, 2015
As a student worker for IIT, everything was limited.

Pay remained the same with no means for raises, employment ends with student status (no continuing employment / advancement), responsibilities were few with no room for additional duties, staff treats you like an invisible person, and overall I didn't feel welcome when I went to work.

Everything I learned, aside from professional email conduct (yes everybody emails), was learned of my own accord. New ideas were often not listened to, or shot down without logical reasoning / discussion.

Hardest part of the job was getting respect from full-time coworkers. Easiest part of the job was completing my limited duties.
Pros
Occasional Free Food, Lake View, Tuition Reimbursement
Cons
Food Desert, Political Management, Low Pay, General Attitude
Productive, useful and interesting research about Vertical Tubines Variable Pitch.
Research Assistant in Fluid Dynamics (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 22, 2015
I usually wake up early to go to the meetings we have about our research. After those, some of us go to the lab to run, implement and improve the results got before by MATLAB. We compare those results with more simulations done by physical methods. Step by step I think we are closer to get funds and to build our Turbine. I have learnt to use better simulations codes like Matlab and c++ with the help of my mates at the laboratory. Obviusly, the hardest part of the work is when the results don't fit, but we get always with some solutions and the best is the ambitious of the group I am working with, knowing that the work has done correctly and expecting to get more.
Pros
knowledge i am getting with them
Cons
there aren't
Good environment workplace with wonderful co-workers
Researcher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 10, 2014
This is the power electronics and motor drives laboratory at Electrical en Computer Engineering Department of Illinois Institute of Technology, so there is none a day that i do not learn something new: Power electronics, circuits analysis and design, software programming and a long etcetera.

Also, the peaceful and fully equipped laboratory combined with the good relationships with other researcher students make the working environment very enjoyable.

I can say nothing bad about this place, but if i have to point out some hard moment, i would say the moment when we discuss about some project and we do not agree with the solution.
Pros
lunch and dinner with co-workers
Cons
the location of the laboratory
First job out of Masters Program - no defined goals except look busy - early days of Space Program
Programmer, Computer Scientist, Mathematician (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJuly 20, 2013
A typical day at work - Learn computing, consult with co-workers
What you learned - Be pleasant in spite of lack of direction - early days of space exploration.
Management - Essentially absent.
Your co-workers - Corridor travelers.
The hardest part of the job - Believing they paid us to self-learn software/programming.with no product or service defined by management.
The most enjoyable part of the job - Encouraging compatible co-workers
Pros
softest job i ever had - allowed me time to progress toward phd.
Cons
i worried that somebody would close down our operation.
Good laboratory environment,with advanced instruments and equipment.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2012
The project I'm working on right now is one needs team work and instrument operation. With all team members' hard-working, many difficulties have been solved, such as what surrogates would be selected, how to make sure the units could survive after high pressure processing. During this process, I've learned how to cooperate with other co-workers and how to communicate efficiently. On the other hand, I've learned how to operate DMA, GC/MS and other experimental operations. I enjoy this experience and also it would encourage me to keep learning.
Pros
good lab environment
Cons
not convenient for lunch
Fairly laid back student possitions
Wood shop student worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2014
Overall the company is as miss-managed as one would expect a school to be. The individual departments though are very aware of what needs to be done and when, and in general treat the student workers with respect. As it comes with the position type, be prepared to serve naive and and often ignorant, customers.

As a whole, for a student these are great positions to have while trying to earn a little extra money on campus. Sadly, I cannot speak for the full-time full-staff positions.
Pros
great positions for grads and under-grads to make some extra money
Cons
sometimes there are frustratingly naive customers
Great for someone who does not like a lot on the table daily
Assistant to the Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 15, 2013
I found that management within the department I worked in was slightly sexist and had a hard time trusting me in the role I was in because I was female in a predominately male environment. I found myself bored and even after asking for more responsibility I was never given any and the days were long and ended up feeling much longer then they really were. I did not find this position stimulating.
Pros
free education and great medical and dental benefits
Cons
lack of work and feeling non-productive
Place to learn and improve
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 3, 2013
I work as a Teaching Assistant for Database Warehousing. I get to learn a lot and also teach a lot. I feel it as an opportunity to enhance my skills as well as keep learning. I also prepare and assign assignments for the students and grade them. This job also allows me to interact with a lot of people from various regions which indirectly improves my people management skills and I get to know how every simple issue can be looked from various perspectives. By able to teach students, I inculcate the teaching ability and respecting views of every individual. In short, my learning curve improves exponentially.
Pros
interaction with people from various places, interpersonal skills
Fun place to work
Student Assistant for the Biomed. Eng. Department (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 31, 2013
As a student assistant for the Biomedical engineering department I was exposed to different laboratory settings. I was able to improve and use my organizational skills when helping out different professors that were associated with the department. I did not have a typical day while working in the department since I would often have to change what I was doing on short notice. Some days I would be working in the department office doing administrative tasks, while other days I would help set up a lab for experiments. This job helped me develop my time management and organizational skills.
Always eager to learn new things and try to keep up with the world.
USA, Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 16, 2015
I have always had the keen knowledge to find out what is around me and also the importance of knowledge.
I have many friends with whom i work as they also play a vital role in my day to day life as well as work.

the hardest part of the job is when i get stuck at some place and when i try to resolve it my mind goes completely blank.

The most enjoyable part of the job is nothing but the job itself.
effective and enrich work
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 9, 2015
I have been working in organic and analytical chemistry lab around 2 years and I have learnt a lot of techniques such as GC-MS,HPLC,FT-IR,NMR,UV-vis,at the same time I learnt how to balance well between my personal life and work,how to use my time wisely .I appreciate this opportunity my boss gave to me and I have been enjoyed working with other people and to complete myself.
Pros
dine together
Cons
short breaks
A good place for knowledge aquisition
Technical Assistant-Office of Technology Services (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 28, 2013
Flexible timings to work.
Learned about networks.
Gained management skills at the work place working with my sub-ordinates.
Highly talented co-workers, learned a lot from them.
The hardest was being a quick learner about the new things and later got used to it and now it has become the easiest part.
The most enjoyable part of the job is problem resolving in a very less deadlines.
Competitive environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 7, 2014
Being a graduate student and a research assistant at IIT since 2011, I have always been challenged by my advisor and my peers. I work with smart individuals, thus the environment is highly competitive. If work in industry is desired, this place is a good place to prepare oneself.
Our research group focuses on Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) of Vertical Axis Wind Turbines. This job is really interesting and fun. Specially if your results are logical!
Good work environment
IIT Online Internet Lab Developer (Former Employee) –  Chicago ILJune 5, 2012
Typical day at work is to edit and develop material for students enrolled in distance programs. Learning process was never stationary. My supervisors were courteous, well behaved and understanding. Most of my co-workers were my class mates and thus communicating was not a problem. The hardest part of the job was probably working along with studying during exam times.
overall review abut IIT work experience is awesome
Graduate Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 4, 2014
There is less stress at work, everyday gives you challenging task.
I learnt Drupal from the scratch and tried to create a website for the ethics center. My co-worker Prashanth was highly talented and we both joined together to add updated features to the website.
we had career development as well as fun filled work life.
low pay and overworked/student health center
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 16, 2012
I worked in the student health and wellness cneter for about a month before I quit. They only pay 14.56 and hour and as a Medical Assistant they want you to basically run the clinic for the little bit of money and do everyone's job. They are very unorganized and shows favortism to certain employees.
Pros
tech cash, great benefits.
Cons
heavy work load, and pay sucks