Illinois State University Employee Reviews

Family Oriented
Development/Ticket and Sale Intern (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 22, 2017
This was an amazing experience, the most family oriented organization I've worked for throughout my lifetime. The team was willing to train and retain each employee for them to be successful.
Productive, Fun, and Educational Work Environment
Student Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 22, 2017
I rather enjoyed my time as a student worker at Illinois State University. They understand the stress of school & work and understand that students are continuously dealing with deadlines, homework, liberal arts classes that they are forced to take, and that work inevitably comes second. My boss and co-workers understood very well the place of students in Administrative Technologies and allowed us to take our time and really learn and observe their craft, with the intention of teaching us as much as possible by the time we left. Overall, it was a very fun and educational experience and would recommend it to anyone who requires an internship as part of their degree.
Teach and Learn
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 21, 2017
Help your fellow students by working as a teaching assistant. Also, improve your public speaking skills and your confidence in your knowledge. Grade papers also
Great place to work and expandable
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 19, 2017
Days are autonomous as long as work is done. Heavily training institution with high employee morale. Very detailed oriented when it comes to summer orientation (Preview).
Pros
Family and Student Friendly
Cons
classes close for students quite rapidly, so enroll on time!
Manager steal work of support staff
PeopleSoft Campus Solutions Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 19, 2017
Lots of back biting, dysfunctional teams. Director of project would not hesitate to steal someone's work and present as her own. This would not be an environment to go back to.
Pros
a few people that desired to make the university better
Cons
work environment is terrible
Great Place to work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 13, 2017
Illinois State University employs very talented faculty and staff in a laid-back, academic environment. While I was not a regular employee, I do know that regular employees receive great benefits.
productive, creative artistic incredibly detailed environment
Undergraduate Technician & Assistant Designer (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 7, 2017
Absolutely loved working here. Required an incredible amount of attention to detail and provided an excellent creative outlet and technical output as well.
Lots of Experience
Senior Student Technician (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 5, 2017
Lots of experience and exposure for a student . Working with VPs and VIP's on campus , interacting with highly qualified individuals working in the university. Working on incidents and problems that directly touch the life and experience of the 20,000 plus students and staff on the campus.
Pros
Exposure, Experience
Cons
No compensation
was a good place to work
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 4, 2017
This was a good place to work until the management changed and then the culture changed and it was terrible. I have since left and they have again changed again so I am not sure- how they are now.
Productive and challenging environment
Prehistoric Archaeology Laboratory Director (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 4, 2017
This university has everything a student needs. A talented staff, challenging projects, and tough coursework. The staff members were helpful and the faculty always eager to help and challenge you in new exciting ways.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
not enough hours in the day .
Hydrogeology Graduate Student
Hydrogeology Masters Student (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 1, 2017
You have the freedom to make your own schedule, however, time management is the number one issue in Graduate school. I learned how to manage my time and make sure I was completing my tasks.
Pros
made your own schedule
Cons
Made little money
Good place
Building Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILMay 30, 2017
Good place to work it's slow and easy going but you can send your kids to school in state at half tuition after 7 years of service. You can max out after 16 years of service earning 2 days off a month vacation and one day off a month sick time
Pros
Benifits
Cons
flexible with opportunity to work on own
Finance Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILMay 25, 2017
Was able to work on tasks at my own pace and at own flexibility. Nice working with teachers and building relationships, made job easier and lenient with school work
Great position to have
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILMay 22, 2017
I had a graduate assistantship where I was assigned to 1 or 2 classes and assisted with various activities. This position was difficult at times to manage with the class work I dealt with, but overall it was good experience helping students learn and teaching in various settings.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Student tour guide (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILMay 4, 2017
Illinois State University is a flexible and fun workplace. Staff treat employees fairly and are accommodating to class schedules. I enjoyed this work experience.
Great atmosphere. Great job opportunities.
Conference Assistant (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILMay 1, 2017
This position is very minor. Sitting at the front desk and monitoring the lobby area of the residence hall is very low-stress. There is no room for advancement opportunities and it is a temporary student position for most people.
Pros
Working with Special Olympics Illinois
Cons
Not enough hours during the week
Goal-oriented athletics
Student Athlete (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILApril 28, 2017
In my time as a dual-sport athlete at Illinois State University, I witnessed a tremendous growth of the program. Coaching is superb, and there are resources available to help all of the student athletes succeed.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Work/Life balance
TV10 News
TV-10 Internship- Sports Reporter (Former Employee) –  Normal, IL 61761April 26, 2017
I loved what I did in school. I had an internship shooting, writing editing, and voice tracking sports. It was my favorite thing. Even the sports I didnt like as a kid, I learned to like them after reporting a game or two. Best manager/ Director. I was so sad when I graduated.
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILApril 12, 2017
I only worked here for a few months during the summer but it was a nice place to work. Upbeat environment, the other employees and management were willing to assist you if you needed anything.
Fun and exciting job
Student Worker/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILApril 6, 2017
I enjoyed being the school mascot for my alma mater because it set the tone for my college career. I was treated like a celebrity and I had many opportunities outside of sporting events and tailgates. As the mascot, I got a chance to attend a corn festival, do a reading commercial with the athletes at my university, be apart of the Jack Hanna show, and many other experiences.
Pros
Personal dressing room, breaks whenever needed
Cons
The mascot suit was hot and stinky at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Illinois State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4