Illinois State University Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and learning enviroment
Administrative Technologies Department (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILJuly 21, 2016
Administrative technologies at Illinois state university provides a vast learning experience and an opportunity to work with well experienced department members.
Being a Project specialist, I work with Project managers to build and maintain the projects.Gained good understanding of how project functions, roles and responsibilities of project team members
Pros
fun enviroment
Cons
This is the university where I am doing my MBA. So it was fun learning and performing with friends and my mentor.
Lead Data and automation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJuly 18, 2016
Good Experience and chance to learn new things in day to day life. I enjoyed studying and working here. My c0-workers and mentors are really good and inspiring me to do the best.
Good
Freelance Photographer (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 8, 2016
I returned to finish my degree as anon-traditional student. I found the whole process very rewarding and the staff of ISU helped make that possible.
Fun place to work with the students
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILMay 10, 2016
Very flexible with my school schedule.
I was able to communicate with the students well and answer any questions that students might have.
Lead the labs every week and graded the labs.
Amazing place to do research
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILMay 8, 2016
It was a pleasure working with PhD students and Professors. They were very patient and made sure to teach me everything in ways that were inspiring my own curiosity. I learned how to do basic molecular work like PCR and ELISA and I also worked with Arabidopsis thaliana as our model plant. I rightfully earned myself the title of green thumb because it turned out I had a knack for planting. Thanks to this place I learned so much about science and myself.
Fast paced
CULINARY WORKER 1 (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILApril 30, 2016
Breakfast must be setup and ready by 7am, which creates a fast paced morning with the help of my student workers we are able to accomplish this task. Management is very detailed minded and uphold a high regard to serving our students quality food. On a good day coworkers can be pleasant to work with, working at the grill area it can become extremely hot. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with and interacting with the students. Be it direct work related contact or on the floor interacting and serving the students.
Pros
FREE MEAL AND PAY DAY
Cons
SOMETIMES COOLERS CAN BE PACKED WHERE I CAN'T GET TO MY PRODUCTS
good working environment
Sr. Java/JEE Developer (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILApril 18, 2016
Around 5 years of software development experience in Object Oriented Programming, Analysis, Design, Development and Implementation of Enterprise applications using JAVA and JEE technologies.
Productive and safe environment
Athletic Event Staff (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILApril 6, 2016
Good place to work for some extra money. Not exactly a perfect job but it does very well with hours and fitting into a full time student schedule. Co-workers are students as well. Sometimes very long hours that go into late night depending on the job. Not very well managed but very doable if one puts their mind to it.
Pros
Free food, extra pay
Cons
Long hours, hard labor
Review
College of Education Board Student Representative (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILApril 4, 2016
Illinois State University provides on-going opportunities for students of all ages. There are a number of scholarship opportunities and opportunities for student growth.

The curriculum is challenging and addresses the need of students across the curriculum.
hard to handle with college
Night Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILMarch 24, 2016
must be able to stand for hours at a time. If you are a college student this job is hard to fit in unless you are a night owl. you start by doing your rounds just locking and relocking doors, counting keys
Friendly and relaxing atmosphere
Digital Asset Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILFebruary 26, 2016
Going into work is not something I don't enjoy, but I it is even more so exciting knowing that my coworkers are very friendly and helpful no matter the question I have. I gladly complete my work and constantly strive to provide the best product I can.
It is a University
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Normal, IL Stevenson HallFebruary 10, 2016
I will have just completed my tenure at Illinois State University with my MS in Economics. Over the course of my tenure, I have become very close to my advisors and shall keep in touch with most of them. The work is very hard, but it is graduate school. All of the other students studying their are very approachable and can assist you if you have any questions with your homework, and you will. The hardest part about being a graduate student, especially within Economics is that the work load is very time consuming. Realistically, I would stay in my office until 2:00 a.m. four nights out of the week, each week, to be back at 9:00 a.m. However, the hard work will pay off in the end.
Pros
Higher education
Cons
Long work hours (16 hours long)
great
Temp Electrician (Former Employee) –  Normal, IL 61761February 9, 2016
this is a great place to work. management was awesome. the people there are willing to help others. great place. breaks are awesome. environment is awesome.
Pros
great job
Cons
Teaching and learning in the same school you are going is a great experience and something to be proud of.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILFebruary 2, 2016
This Graduate Teaching Assistant-ship helped my teaching skills to get improved.My grip and basics of java have become much stronger.
Fun place to work
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILJanuary 20, 2016
Working under pressure is highly valued especially that the company is designed to inspect every single part of the daily job.
Dedicated employees and management
Recruitment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILJanuary 14, 2016
ISU is a great place to work and the Redbird culture could not be better. Many universities have struggled and ISU had record breaking enrollment in 2015. However, without a state budget, the future is questionable for many positions and therefore opportunities are limited now.
positive work environment
Helper (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJanuary 5, 2016
A positive work environment that makes employees feel good about coming to work. most of the people out there make a good money.
Job environment
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILNovember 19, 2015
As an alum of Illinois State University, it was not difficult to adjust as a professional. I really appreciated working for the office of admissions, because it gave me a chance to benefit the future of the University.
Pros
Environment
Cons
Compensation
Secure job
Steam and Power Plant 2 (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILNovember 18, 2015
It's a secure place to work. Promotions are not based on merit and leave a lot of good workers behind. I have learned a lot there.
Learning Experience
Student QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Normal, IllinoisOctober 22, 2015
Working as a student worker is a perfect balance of study and job. I am not only gaining the knowledge for my degree but am also getting ready for the career path ahead by acquiring professional experience as well.
Pros
Supportive staff, friendly working environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Illinois State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4