Illinois Tool Works Employee Reviews

Focused on cost cutting
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Glenview, ILJuly 10, 2017
The company has transitioned from a growth centered company to one focused on cost cutting and minimization to drive stock prices. There is a point were this will catch up and damage the businesses and brands in the company.
Great team - tough industry
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Glenview, ILMay 30, 2017
i love my team. sometimes the nature of the industry is a bit cyclical meaning you need to work extra hard in down years for the industry. management expects a lot with little guidance at times
Pros
good benefits
Cons
long hours sometimes
Good company to work for
Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Sidney, OhioMay 21, 2017
ITW is a great company who I had the pleasure of working for. Unfortunately, I had a HR manager who was reluctant to forgive honest mistakes. I have nothing more to post.
Pros
Exempt status time keeping
Cons
Tracked just like production associates
Production company
Automation machine operator (Former Employee) –  Mokena, ILMay 9, 2017
This is a company that worry about employees safety. They love to see you put in effort beyond there expectation. The company hire after a hour and won't give you a raise.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
No real guidance
Productive workplace
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 7, 2017
It's been overall a decent job just looking for a change of pace and a different feild of work.i have been here since 03 and my pay has only went up 50$ more on the week and it kinda has poor management skills
Pros
401k good hourly pay
Cons
High insurance premiums
A good place to learn and develop
Production Employee (Current Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 7, 2017
ITW is a great company and offers excellent benefits to its employees. I am grateful to ITW and glad to have taken the opportunity to work here and learn new things...
Nice place to work
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Glenview, ILFebruary 27, 2017
Nice place to work. Good benefits and good hours. Good people to work with. Good facilities and location. Good benefits.
Pros
good hours
Cons
It was a great place to work for
Vision sorter machine operator (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILFebruary 13, 2017
ITW is a great place to wor for. You can get paid training an tuition reimbursement. You get two weeks vacation an after five years you get tree weeks. They make metal fasteners mostly for cars. ITW gives you the opportunity to learn a trade. Rollers headers and nut forming.
Pros
Great benefits and paid vacations
Cons
Inexpirience supervisors
Needs Improvement
Injection Molding machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Mazon, ILFebruary 6, 2017
I really enjoyed what I did on a daily bases, I like the hands on, learning new things , hours worked were GREAT, lots of over time, people on the more part were friendly.
Pros
Good benefits, lot of holidays, and vacation
Cons
To many hand in the basket, to many leaders not on the same page.
ITW was a great company to work for.
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield, CTJanuary 27, 2017
Worked there for 5 years. Had a great work environment. Management was awesome! Only left because I was seeking a better paying job.
Pros
The people I worked with really became family.
Cons
Sometimes safety was overlooked in favor of saving money.
Great benefits.
Cost Accountant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 20, 2017
Employees are friendly and management is always supportive. Lots of seminars and training for self improvement and productivity. There is teamwork and everybody's working towards a common goal.
Pros
Great benefits, comprehensive training.
Cons
Provides a great culture, experience, and benefits
Senior Strategic Sourcing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Glenview, ILJanuary 12, 2017
The job provides a great culture, experience, and benefits. Unfortunately, in order to advance your career, you need to move out of the corporate office in Chicago and relocate to a different business unit.
Production is a MUST. Kind people, easy going flow.
Operator Lead Person (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 31, 2016
Come to work, communicate well. Get things done.
Hardest part is when work computers have temporary problems.
Easiest communication with co workers.
Pros
Easy going people, sometimes 1 hour launches
Cons
Concrete floors, not enough carpets, very LOUD
I went from Fortune 500 to Fortune 50 with them it was quite a ride.
Maintenance Technician and Mechanic (Former Employee) –  LaGrange, GADecember 9, 2016
After 21 years @ 6 different plants within the Company I retired in a cut back having to do with budget cuts and restructuring.,

I maintained and repaired production equipment of all natures,.

I learned much over the years too much to list in a forum such as this.

Management agendas changed over the years from growing into a reliable and great Fortune 500 to a Fortune 50 company to being ruled by the almighty dollar at employees and often safeties expense. I was ready to leave.

Many Great people, new rules and procedures made it hard for everyone to do their jobs as well as in the past.

Hardest part of the job was watching my beloved company slowly deteriorate from the greatness it once held to mediocrity at best.

Successes as a business over and over for many years...teams that accomplished what was set out to do...Sweet Success.
Pros
Great benefits package
Cons
budget issues in Maintenance
Good company
Account Manager / Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Harahan, LANovember 7, 2016
Good company to work for. Friendly people in every department. Company has since been bought by another company. The new company is Truck-Pro
productive
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Kankakee, ILNovember 4, 2016
this was a very productive and fun place to work. i really enjoyed working here for this establishment. great hours. it worked around my schedule. i enjoyed my coworkers and my management staff
Pros
free lunches friendly staff
Cons
short breaks
Enjoy all aspects of my Job
ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILAugust 4, 2016
I enjoy all the aspects of my job.

I was part-time I was allowed to work out of a remote location and/or from home a couple days a week for 2 years. I recently work full-time with a new reporting supervisor and I am now no longer allowed to work remotely. The 45 mile drive each way is too much. My day turned into a 12 and a half hour day to 13 hours depending on traffic.
benefits
Cons
no longer allowed to work remotely
Enjoyed working independently
Latin America Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 1, 2016
In the last 5 years I worked out of my house, promoting sales, contacting sales agents and customers in Latin America. Also made frequent trips through the region and trade shows.
Now I'm retire and will like a part time job near my house
Pros
Work independently
Cons
Getting information from company head quarters
Awesome Work Environment
Direct Procurement & Strategic Sourcing Intern (Former Employee) –  Glenview, ILJune 3, 2016
Great company with great people! Worked as an intern with the eSourcing team and had an amazing experience. Made lifelong business connections as well as friends.
Engaging and Adventurous
Field Service Engineer NSC Division (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 28, 2016
Being on the field was always a welcomed challenge. I enjoyed the interaction with the customer and the pressures of getting their equipment up and running in a timely manner. The job was never dull and provided everyday challenges.
Pros
Freedom and ability to apply your management skills
Cons
Long hours driving and constant travelling