Illumina

Illumina Employee Reviews

Still under review
Sr. Engineer (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaDecember 11, 2015
The company is well funded. The company's success is due to it's large flagship sequencing instruments. Employee benefits could be better. Original founders have moved on to new competing ventures. Many failed and delayed projects, do no contract-to-hire. Summer socials with free food and drinks. Very smart bio- scientists and engineers, but lack collaborative direction; stale. Great global presence, with beautiful campuses. Engineering culture is transforming to rigid corporate style. First loses started posting.
Pros
Employee stock; Recreation facilities; Summer and winter paid breaks
Cons
Benefits; Relatively new field, experimental/unstable projects
Cowboy culture
staff engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 4, 2015
Many smart people, maybe too many to get work done. Everyone wants to lead which leaves too few people actually doing the work.
Pros
RSUs
Cons
lack of leadership
Smart overworked and fun employess
Senior Scientist (Former Employee) –  San Diego,CAOctober 14, 2015
HR people are incompetent in their position. There is no proper policy that protects that true value objective of the company. Managers and seniors are not properly informed and briefed of company policy logistics.

Staff are overworked with no recognition.

Glad I was part of their first 5years of growth.

Good group of smart and fun people to work with.
Pros
Smart people to work with
Cons
Poor compliance on policy.
never seen before for some thing happen
Manufacturing Tech (Former Employee) –  Hayward,CASeptember 19, 2015
The management in Hayward facility is very poor and too much politics therefore some employee are left without reason .
I had a lot experiences in FDA company before I worked there, but some reason they fired me and hired someone who is closed to them.The management in SD head quarter does not know a lot and find out deep over here.
so far , I found good job from the other company who like my experiences to help and bring the company going in the future .
Pros
no comment
Cons
na
Great
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 29, 2015
An amazing Company to work for I was there seven year, it would be nice to go back, work for illumine. Excellent company, Love the people that worked with, I truly miss the people I worked with...
Pros
Excellent
Cons
Excellent
Always something different to do
Manufacturing Associate (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAAugust 17, 2015
Perform operations on sequencing units
Familiar with most troubleshooting of encountered issues
Group dynamic makes work enjoyable
Pros
friend co-workers
Cons
management communication, recognition
Awsome place to work
ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN III (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 11, 2015
Great company to work for, A collective innovative spirit. They take good care of their employees with lots of growth opportunities and opportunities to travel inside and outside of USA. Flex time and research oriented.
Pros
Innovation, Research oriented, Nice Cafeteria, gym, Activities for employees, lots of free food
Cons
Incredible fast pace, work overloads.
I like work enviroment
FINAL INSTRUMENT TEST ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAJuly 22, 2015
working at Illumina, I gained knowledge of DNA sequencing and experience with verifying Miseq instrument performance
Pros
adapt enviroment and leanr quick
Productive and fun workplace
Contractor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 4, 2015
It's a fast pace job, the company grows weekly. It's exciting and rewarding. People are very knowledgeable and polite.
Pros
It's a beautiful campus
Cons
Due to energy shortages it's a little warm.
Great place to work and the things they are doing with genetics is going to be life changing
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 2, 2014
I would recommend this job to anyone. You work out of home and the needs of the customer always come first. That may sound like a lot but it keeps you busy Monday- Friday and the occasional weekend which was very rare. you always had a few or half office days during the month to get all your paperwork done. I haven't been there since 2010 but I do keep in touch with some of my ex coworkers and they still seem happy. If you want to be on the edge of technology and changing to world this company is like the apple of healthcare electronics so I would keep an eye on them.
Pros
fantastic place to work, leading edge of technology
Cons
work out of home so if relocating this makes it tough to meet people.
A great company to work for.
Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 2, 2014
A great company to work for. This is crazy. I enjoyed working there. I just want to apply for this job but I'm forced to do all this too?
average company
Sr. Tech. Optical and Laser (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAMarch 7, 2014
not many higher position created for employee who work for many years
Difficult to find job growth
Curation Scientist Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CADecember 30, 2013
Company avoids providing job security and benefits by hiring contractors. Does not put effort into employee career development
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no benefits
Worst experience of my life.
Engineering (Former Employee) –  San DiegoDecember 20, 2013
This company despite the great stock price has the most horrible management structure I have encountered in my 30 year career.

Favoritism & politics rule the day and night and career growth is impossible unless connected in the right circles of insiders.

All the perks and the new buildings cannot even come close to being treated like trash every day, I did have a few great co-workers but most don’t stay long because of the toxic leadership.

I cannot recommend anyone working their because it will affect health and well being, they have no work life balance; they make demands for all your time and then disrespect you.

I have tendered my two week notice and have a better job/company waiting, Thank God.
Pros
stock price
Cons
toxic leadership
Fun place to work.
Intern (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 28, 2013
As an intern I got to learn a lot. The structure is very flat, where everyone treats everyone with respect. My manager helped me fit into the role with an easy transition.
very nice cleanroom, quiet and people are friendly.
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 24, 2013
I've worked here for 5 years, I tell myself to retire on this company when I get older because this is the best company to work my entire life. So sad I got laid off, and I am still hoping to work here and keep on applying on a job opening. Hope I'll be lucky to get hired again. 'missed the people and a good benefits and management.
Pros
potluck and surprises
Terrible Management Finance . starting from HR
Cost (Former Employee) –  san diegoJuly 3, 2013
This is the worse experience that an employee can have working for such a big company with no infrastructure. Low motivation from Management to advance in projects they wrap up the month end close with long overtime hours and yet they do not recognize you for your efforts.Lack of organization bad Management.
Pros
coffee ok
Cons
short breaks.
Illumina
Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 30, 2013
It's a great place to work.

For a company that continues to get big, they are able to stay ambitious, innovative, and relaxed all at the same time.

Usually in the lab for the most of the project, the team was structured with 3 testers, 1 project manager, 2 engineers, 1 developer.

Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to find root causes for issues that have been hanging around for 2 years.
Soo many people... very little space.
Research & Development Technician (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAMay 30, 2013
Very smart people everywhere. Get used to sharing space. Prototype, test and validate. Hardest part of job was debugging RMAs. The most enjoyable part was happy hour Fridays.
Fast-pace manufacturing enviroment
Manufacturing Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 18, 2013
education place to work. Making medical devices for reseach.
Pros
professionalism
Cons
strictly medical