Illumina Employee Reviews

Excellent People
Research Associate II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 2, 2017
The work can be demanding. A number of the jobs are fairly monotonous. All of the people that I worked with were outstanding. I worked in two different groups and everyone that I worked with was incredible. It seems like they've been hiring more and more contractors in recent years, which may be damaging the culture, but, when I left, it was still fairly intact.
Pros
Facilities are great, managers are understanding
Cons
Work is demanding.
Stressful Environment with Reactionary Management
Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 8, 2017
I took this job expecting to be treated like a valued professional. Over the course of time I realized there were too many people who were more concerned with the title they held rather than doing a good job of managing people.

I reported to 2 managers, one of whom was my direct supervisor, and the other a manager of another department who continuously lost people under her. She made my life very difficult, had unrealistic expectations that didn't add value, which didn't help my standing with my own manager.

I'm not negative, but it's clear expectations are high, as they should be from time to time, but many are unrealistic in most cases. There was a project I had been working on and it required that I interface with a lot of people, some of which were helpful, while others not so much so. Again this reliance on others didn't help me complete what was expected of me and I was railroaded out. And no, I'm not bitter; I'm more disappointed in myself that I hadn't done the research before taking the position.

Most of the employees are stretched thin and there are too many meetings that not only interrupt workflow, but makes it nearly impossible to work with others who are stretched thin. In many cases it's so bad one colleague showed me his calendar and it was booked solid with meetings, so I asked how he does it. His response was; "just pick the meetings that seem the most important."

Management by crisis seems to be the operative word, and there's a reliance to the cultural shift from being a RUO (research use only) to a FDA regulated environment and people
  more... resist those added burdens to their already over-burdened responsibilities.

Reliance on contractors can be a major concern, since these resources are dedicated to specific tasks and they're not as easily enlisted into pressing projects. On that note, expect that 1/3 of the people at Illumina are not employees and are actually contractors.

To be fair, the work-life balance is good, and the company strives to make it an enjoyable place to work. But, underlying all of it is the fear of failure that seems to be in the back of many employee's minds whether they'll admit to it or not.
Pros
Campus-like culture, honest attempts by upper management to make employees happy
Cons
Unrealistic expectations, management issues, employees stretched too thin, people concerned about what title they held
Fun and exciting
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  9440 Carroll Park drive, San Diego , Ca., 92121January 31, 2017
Free coffee and popcorn.
We had a free lunch every quarter,
It was mostly fast paced environment,
Hardest thing there was keeping up with the fast flow of the work environment.
Pros
As mentioned above, free coffee and popcorn, free lunch every quarter
Cons
Reminding yourself your contract may expire before you are hired
Internship was useful
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 10, 2017
They paid well for a summer internship. I learned how to analyze data and how such companies operate. I would be happy to work there again.
Not As Advertised
Finance (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 22, 2016
After a lengthy onboarding process I was convinced to make a career change for the opportunity to work for a company that I have always admired. While the company has a great published corporate culture, middle management is not required to follow this guideline. I truly believed in the companies 'dial up' values but my supervisors were stuck in the micro-management mentality that the company labeled under 'dial down'. Overall the company as a whole can't be so bad but I still have to ding them for allowing a department to operate so backwards.
Pros
Company does good things for human health and the advancement of science.
Cons
Micro-management, office politics, poor HR, no mediation.
Fun Workplace, culture is great, the career advancement could be better
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 18, 2016
It's a great work place if you have a career there. If you are a Research Associate it will be difficult at this stage to move up. You will need a PhD.
Different work but same vision
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAOctober 17, 2016
This work was very different from my past work and volunteer experience, but it goes to show how much oppurtunity there is if you don't limit yourself. The workers here are very outgoing and will treat you well. I loved it here.
Pros
Outgoing environment
Cons
Lab hours are strict
Productive place with lots of activities for employees
Manufacturing Process Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 4, 2016
Go to work and try to knock out whatever work load schedueled for the day. Learned a lot about the different in-house automated filling systems and how to operate them. Lack of communication between management and lower level workers leading to some confusion at times causing problems in production numbers in the manufacturing department. Co-workers are great and treat others like family. Hardest part of the job part of the job was getting the job accomplishied at times without proper or thorough training and having to learn off of old work instructions that needed to be redlined leading wokers to have to learn new thing on their own getting dinged for errors in the process. The most enjoyable part of the job was completeing it.
Pros
Having a stable job.
Cons
Inexperienced workers getting opportunities due to favoritisim.
Contracted employees needed by not welcomed
Accounting Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 3, 2016
I have never worked for a company where they treat their contracted employees like complete trash. You are not a valuable asset to the organization just a work horse. If you are fortunate to work for the Accounts Receivable department be sure to be ready to keep your lips glued to your bosses behind. If i would have know that my supervisor was not going to be the person that hired me i would have totally walked away. Not enough space to go into detail how unprofesional, rude and how much of a bigot the a/r manager is.
Pros
If you drink you can get drunk here
Cons
they treat contracted employees like trash
Unprofessional unethical enviroment
Validation Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 21, 2016
A significant distinction between full time and contractors. Not to mention unrealistic deadlines, budgets, and goals.
Cross team communication and internal procedures are ridiculous and inefficient.
A great place to work
Mechanical Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAAugust 5, 2016
A fast-paced company where there are always more projects to be done. Friendly environment and people. It was nice to work very closely with manufacturing technicians to solve problems.
Pros
Free lunch biweekly
Next Generation Prison
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 5, 2016
Illumina is by far the worst company I have ever worked at. From the terrible management that chooses favorites based on looks to the unnecessarily competitive coworkers who hate when you excel. I will never recommend anybody sane to work here as only sociopaths would excel in this environment.
Pros
Some friendly people
Cons
Always being watched
Good place to work.
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAJuly 22, 2016
I love that they provide company outings once in a while. They provide lunch sometimes. Hours worked are flexible. They could improve their HR department as well as employee training program.
Great Place To Work - Changing the World
Logistics Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 23, 2016
Illumina is truly changing the world with revolutionary genome sequencing technology.

Illumina has a great culture, and you will work with extremely intelligent professionals.

Illumina pay is below average for the Bay Area.

Illumina's executive management does a poor job at communicating key decisions and does a poor job at supporting operational level employees through transitions.
Pros
Free Lunch Every 2 Weeks
Cons
Poor Communication from Executive Management on Key Decisions
Nice
Workday Functional Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 15, 2016
It was really nice working there
people there are very friendly
I learned a lot while working there
Co-Workers are pretty freindly
I enjoy each and every moment
Management is very good
There was no typical day at work
Manufacturing Process Tech 2 (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 7, 2016
Management is not great no more because everything is just a mess, we would get different manager every six months or so because they cannot handle our department.
Tense and negative work environment.
Staff Buyer (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJune 6, 2016
Awful experience sociopath manager drove me out of the company. He was driven to eliminate my position because he wanted to build his own culture of fear and unreasonable expectations. At first it was a good organization until two really bad managers were hired to improve morale. My manager had no business leading personnel; never motivated or encouraged only scowled and had his chosen few; the remainder of use were relegated to pretend that culture didn't exist. I do believe in their technology and the coworkers were wonderful. I suppose at some point in time Illumina was a great place to work.
Pros
free lunch every second Wensday.
Cons
Awful managers and hayward culture
Laboratory clean room
maufacturing technician 2 (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 29, 2016
Performed all aspects on medical assembly dna slides performing final products qc and packaging process slides barcode scanning and labeling for inventory and cold room storage
Great company
Manufacturing Process Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 17, 2016
Great company with good benefits. Growing biotech industry, there's always something new to learn about. People are great, the head quarters offers amenities for the workers.
Pros
Family oriented events
Excellent company to get good knowledge
Sr Consultant(Technical Lead) (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 15, 2016
Excellent company to get good knowledge at manufacturing domain. Latest technologies use to upgrade the systems. Good work environment to learn new technical methods

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Illumina. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9