Illumina

Illumina Employee Reviews

Dynamic, fast paced environment where
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 24, 2012
Illumina, our technologies and our work may not be in the lexicon of the general population yet, but I suspect that will change in several years time.

With the cost of sequencing dropping exponentially, as the market leader, Illumina is in the pole position to make sequencing much more common place -- think every baby getting their genome sequenced when they're first born.

Everyday we work to change the world. The passion of the employees is without question. Illumina hires the brightest minds in the industry and their knowledge, and their drive, continually pushes me to excel.

The work is demanding and maintaining a work-life balance can be a struggle at times, but the people and the products are what keep most of us (including myself) coming back day after day.
Great place to work and the things they are doing with genetics is going to be life changing
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 2, 2014
I would recommend this job to anyone. You work out of home and the needs of the customer always come first. That may sound like a lot but it keeps you busy Monday- Friday and the occasional weekend which was very rare. you always had a few or half office days during the month to get all your paperwork done. I haven't been there since 2010 but I do keep in touch with some of my ex coworkers and they still seem happy. If you want to be on the edge of technology and changing to world this company is like the apple of healthcare electronics so I would keep an eye on them.
Pros
fantastic place to work, leading edge of technology
Cons
work out of home so if relocating this makes it tough to meet people.
Worst experience of my life.
Engineering (Former Employee) –  San DiegoDecember 20, 2013
This company despite the great stock price has the most horrible management structure I have encountered in my 30 year career.

Favoritism & politics rule the day and night and career growth is impossible unless connected in the right circles of insiders.

All the perks and the new buildings cannot even come close to being treated like trash every day, I did have a few great co-workers but most don’t stay long because of the toxic leadership.

I cannot recommend anyone working their because it will affect health and well being, they have no work life balance; they make demands for all your time and then disrespect you.

I have tendered my two week notice and have a better job/company waiting, Thank God.
Pros
stock price
Cons
toxic leadership
Still under review
Sr. Engineer (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaDecember 11, 2015
The company is well funded. The company's success is due to it's large flagship sequencing instruments. Employee benefits could be better. Original founders have moved on to new competing ventures. Many failed and delayed projects, do no contract-to-hire. Summer socials with free food and drinks. Very smart bio- scientists and engineers, but lack collaborative direction; stale. Great global presence, with beautiful campuses. Engineering culture is transforming to rigid corporate style. First loses started posting.
Pros
Employee stock; Recreation facilities; Summer and winter paid breaks
Cons
Benefits; Relatively new field, experimental/unstable projects
never seen before for some thing happen
Manufacturing Tech (Former Employee) –  Hayward,CASeptember 19, 2015
The management in Hayward facility is very poor and too much politics therefore some employee are left without reason .
I had a lot experiences in FDA company before I worked there, but some reason they fired me and hired someone who is closed to them.The management in SD head quarter does not know a lot and find out deep over here.
so far , I found good job from the other company who like my experiences to help and bring the company going in the future .
Pros
no comment
Cons
na
unclear/shifting goals, lack of transparency, poor work life balance
Former employee (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 28, 2012
unclear/shifting goals, lack of transparency, poor work life balance. The employees are stellar, bright, motivated, focused... Leadership is unfocused, uncollaborative, and creates an almost unbearable long-term work environment. Lack of infrastructure and solid systems create an inefficient and frustrating day to day experience.
Pros
coworkers...all in this together mentality
Cons
leadership, infrastructure, culture
FSE @ Illumina
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 21, 2012
Coming straight out of college, I took this position a little for granted. Pay was great (for no experience and a degree). Culture (for the first 2-3 years) was incredible. Company started to mature and tighten down in every dept for everything you could imagine. Still a great company and good people, but just not what it used to be. Will be keeping a close eye on it's competition.. Pacific Biosciences!
Pros
culture, benefits, responsibility & challenges
Cons
n/a
Smart overworked and fun employess
Senior Scientist (Former Employee) –  San Diego,CAOctober 14, 2015
HR people are incompetent in their position. There is no proper policy that protects that true value objective of the company. Managers and seniors are not properly informed and briefed of company policy logistics.

Staff are overworked with no recognition.

Glad I was part of their first 5years of growth.

Good group of smart and fun people to work with.
Pros
Smart people to work with
Cons
Poor compliance on policy.
very nice cleanroom, quiet and people are friendly.
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 24, 2013
I've worked here for 5 years, I tell myself to retire on this company when I get older because this is the best company to work my entire life. So sad I got laid off, and I am still hoping to work here and keep on applying on a job opening. Hope I'll be lucky to get hired again. 'missed the people and a good benefits and management.
Pros
potluck and surprises
Illumina
Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 30, 2013
It's a great place to work.

For a company that continues to get big, they are able to stay ambitious, innovative, and relaxed all at the same time.

Usually in the lab for the most of the project, the team was structured with 3 testers, 1 project manager, 2 engineers, 1 developer.

Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to find root causes for issues that have been hanging around for 2 years.
Awsome place to work
ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN III (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 11, 2015
Great company to work for, A collective innovative spirit. They take good care of their employees with lots of growth opportunities and opportunities to travel inside and outside of USA. Flex time and research oriented.
Pros
Innovation, Research oriented, Nice Cafeteria, gym, Activities for employees, lots of free food
Cons
Incredible fast pace, work overloads.
Terrible Management Finance . starting from HR
Cost (Former Employee) –  san diegoJuly 3, 2013
This is the worse experience that an employee can have working for such a big company with no infrastructure. Low motivation from Management to advance in projects they wrap up the month end close with long overtime hours and yet they do not recognize you for your efforts.Lack of organization bad Management.
Pros
coffee ok
Cons
short breaks.
State of the Art - Dynamic Workplace
IT Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 3, 2012
Typical work day was full, intense and non-stop. Staff were constantly on the go - running from meeting to meeting, filling their work day from start to end...and more.

The knowledge transfer and exposure to the genomic research field was informative, refreshing and awe inspiring.
No work life balance
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CaNovember 27, 2012
Management is all about tooting their own horns and provides no leadership or recognition for high performing employees. There is no work life balance and growth opportunity is slim.
Pros
competitive compensation
Cons
no work life balance and poor leadership
Always something different to do
Manufacturing Associate (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAAugust 17, 2015
Perform operations on sequencing units
Familiar with most troubleshooting of encountered issues
Group dynamic makes work enjoyable
Pros
friend co-workers
Cons
management communication, recognition
Great
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 29, 2015
An amazing Company to work for I was there seven year, it would be nice to go back, work for illumine. Excellent company, Love the people that worked with, I truly miss the people I worked with...
Pros
Excellent
Cons
Excellent
Excellent Work environment and drastic growth in my career
Solution Architect (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 27, 2016
Excellent team and support in all aspects and improved my technical skills here.Its very good company to learn new things and salary wise also
Productive and fun workplace
Contractor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 4, 2015
It's a fast pace job, the company grows weekly. It's exciting and rewarding. People are very knowledgeable and polite.
Pros
It's a beautiful campus
Cons
Due to energy shortages it's a little warm.
I like work enviroment
FINAL INSTRUMENT TEST ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAJuly 22, 2015
working at Illumina, I gained knowledge of DNA sequencing and experience with verifying Miseq instrument performance
Pros
adapt enviroment and leanr quick
Difficult to find job growth
Curation Scientist Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CADecember 30, 2013
Company avoids providing job security and benefits by hiring contractors. Does not put effort into employee career development
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no benefits