Illumina Employee Reviews

Not my best experience
Chemical Compliance Specialist - Global Health (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 19, 2017
Like any other company, there are good and not so great departments. Unfortunately my experience was in a not so great team. Working 70+ hr weeks, no promotions or even talks of. To be fair, other teams in the company were really happy, some others were not, it was really a hit or miss.
Pros
Lots of free food and some parties.
Cons
No work life balance. Somewhat disparaging management.
Beautiful campus
Manufacturing Associate II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 10, 2017
Great campus. There are a lot of amenities offered at Illumina like full gym, yoga, coffee bars, cafe, and many more activities to keep the employees feeling well accommodated.
Great Work Environment
Research Associate II (Former Employee) –  San DiegoMay 1, 2017
Great work environment, maybe not for a young scientist but would love to come back and work for them when I'm older as I feel that it would be difficult or time consuming to move upwards without first leaving to go get more experience somewhere else
Great Company-unless you're a contractor
Mindlance Contractor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 27, 2017
Have been here 9 months and although there is a ton of work and everybody agrees I'm the candidate to perform the work, management can't seem to authorize requisition for extension or conversion. 10 week extension just occurred. Okay so they pulled it off, but 10 weeks? C'mon.

Otherwise the product is cutting edge, the engineers and scientists are top notch, and the company treats their employees fairly and provide well.
Pros
Excellent facility, technology, benefits
Cons
Contractors excluded from benefits and activities.
Cut throat!
Scientist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 20, 2017
Pure competition. Never happy with any results! No supervisors were satisfied with anything I ever did. I could not please my boss with mountains of excellent data. It was never enough!
Not Structured
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAMarch 31, 2017
Not very structured as a company. every one seemed to be more interested in themselves moving forward instead of as a team. The leads are way to lenient.
Awesome company
Engineering Technician II (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CA, USAMarch 29, 2017
I had amazing managers and supervisors that were really invested in me doing well for myself and becoming an asset to the company. One particular manager really did invest her time in all of her employees, including the contracted workers, to make sure our skill sets were not just employed, but also expanded. Put a lot of trust in our team a lot of the time, and in doing so, the rest of the company in different departments did also. Gave us good exposure with other co-workers, supervisors, and managers.
Pros
Biweekly catered lunches, offers classes for career advancements, Offers gyms/workout sessions, Great work culture and individuals to work with, Very welcoming environment, Extremely diverse workforce, Accessible and present site VP's, Professional manufacturing site, Full-time employees treated really well, Great healthcare packages and policies
Cons
Support can be lacking at all levels occasionally, Moves too fast at times, Conflicting interests among different departments, Contracted workers in dark regarding extensions or release
Excellent People
Research Associate II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 2, 2017
The work can be demanding. A number of the jobs are fairly monotonous. All of the people that I worked with were outstanding. I worked in two different groups and everyone that I worked with was incredible. It seems like they've been hiring more and more contractors in recent years, which may be damaging the culture, but, when I left, it was still fairly intact.
Pros
Facilities are great, managers are understanding
Cons
Work is demanding.
Prototype testing
Engineer Technician (Contract) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 26, 2017
Test prototype products. Record values and submit to supervisor.
Identify failures, inconsistencies and report to associates.
Collaborate with remote locations to resolve issues.
Pros
Leading DNA sequencer in the industry
Cons
Start a contractor
Fast pace working enviroment
Material Handler II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 11, 2017
Illumina was a fast pace working environment. Enjoyed working for this company had great benefits. Illumina is fast growing company so had to expect changes daily. They had an café on site so taking lunch was convenient. Management was very informative and easy to work with.
Pros
great Benefits
Cons
N/a
Stressful Environment with Reactionary Management
Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 8, 2017
I took this job expecting to be treated like a valued professional. Over the course of time I realized there were too many people who were more concerned with the title they held rather than doing a good job of managing people.

I reported to 2 managers, one of whom was my direct supervisor, and the other a manager of another department who continuously lost people under her. She made my life very difficult, had unrealistic expectations that didn't add value, which didn't help my standing with my own manager.

I'm not negative, but it's clear expectations are high, as they should be from time to time, but many are unrealistic in most cases. There was a project I had been working on and it required that I interface with a lot of people, some of which were helpful, while others not so much so. Again this reliance on others didn't help me complete what was expected of me and I was railroaded out. And no, I'm not bitter; I'm more disappointed in myself that I hadn't done the research before taking the position.

Most of the employees are stretched thin and there are too many meetings that not only interrupt workflow, but makes it nearly impossible to work with others who are stretched thin. In many cases it's so bad one colleague showed me his calendar and it was booked solid with meetings, so I asked how he does it. His response was; "just pick the meetings that seem the most important."

Management by crisis seems to be the operative word, and there's a reliance to the cultural shift from being a RUO (research use only) to a FDA regulated environment and people
  more... resist those added burdens to their already over-burdened responsibilities.

Reliance on contractors can be a major concern, since these resources are dedicated to specific tasks and they're not as easily enlisted into pressing projects. On that note, expect that 1/3 of the people at Illumina are not employees and are actually contractors.

To be fair, the work-life balance is good, and the company strives to make it an enjoyable place to work. But, underlying all of it is the fear of failure that seems to be in the back of many employee's minds whether they'll admit to it or not.
Pros
Campus-like culture, honest attempts by upper management to make employees happy
Cons
Unrealistic expectations, management issues, employees stretched too thin, people concerned about what title they held
Fun and exciting
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  9440 Carroll Park drive, San Diego , Ca., 92121January 31, 2017
Free coffee and popcorn.
We had a free lunch every quarter,
It was mostly fast paced environment,
Hardest thing there was keeping up with the fast flow of the work environment.
Pros
As mentioned above, free coffee and popcorn, free lunch every quarter
Cons
Reminding yourself your contract may expire before you are hired
Internship was useful
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 10, 2017
They paid well for a summer internship. I learned how to analyze data and how such companies operate. I would be happy to work there again.
Not As Advertised
Finance (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 22, 2016
After a lengthy onboarding process I was convinced to make a career change for the opportunity to work for a company that I have always admired. While the company has a great published corporate culture, middle management is not required to follow this guideline. I truly believed in the companies 'dial up' values but my supervisors were stuck in the micro-management mentality that the company labeled under 'dial down'. Overall the company as a whole can't be so bad but I still have to ding them for allowing a department to operate so backwards.
Pros
Company does good things for human health and the advancement of science.
Cons
Micro-management, office politics, poor HR, no mediation.
It is a good place to work
Manager, Instrument Production (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CADecember 19, 2016
I enjoyed my time work there. The people were great. Quality was always number one in all aspect of the company. Sometimes work hours could get long.
Pros
Free lunched on Wednesdays
Cons
Working with other teams with in Illumina couls be sometime hard.
Fun Workplace, culture is great, the career advancement could be better
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 18, 2016
It's a great work place if you have a career there. If you are a Research Associate it will be difficult at this stage to move up. You will need a PhD.
Different work but same vision
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAOctober 17, 2016
This work was very different from my past work and volunteer experience, but it goes to show how much oppurtunity there is if you don't limit yourself. The workers here are very outgoing and will treat you well. I loved it here.
Pros
Outgoing environment
Cons
Lab hours are strict
Productive place with lots of activities for employees
Manufacturing Process Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 4, 2016
Go to work and try to knock out whatever work load schedueled for the day. Learned a lot about the different in-house automated filling systems and how to operate them. Lack of communication between management and lower level workers leading to some confusion at times causing problems in production numbers in the manufacturing department. Co-workers are great and treat others like family. Hardest part of the job part of the job was getting the job accomplishied at times without proper or thorough training and having to learn off of old work instructions that needed to be redlined leading wokers to have to learn new thing on their own getting dinged for errors in the process. The most enjoyable part of the job was completeing it.
Pros
Having a stable job.
Cons
Inexperienced workers getting opportunities due to favoritisim.
Contracted employees needed by not welcomed
Accounting Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 3, 2016
I have never worked for a company where they treat their contracted employees like complete trash. You are not a valuable asset to the organization just a work horse. If you are fortunate to work for the Accounts Receivable department be sure to be ready to keep your lips glued to your bosses behind. If i would have know that my supervisor was not going to be the person that hired me i would have totally walked away. Not enough space to go into detail how unprofesional, rude and how much of a bigot the a/r manager is.
Pros
If you drink you can get drunk here
Cons
they treat contracted employees like trash
Unprofessional unethical enviroment
Validation Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 21, 2016
A significant distinction between full time and contractors. Not to mention unrealistic deadlines, budgets, and goals.
Cross team communication and internal procedures are ridiculous and inefficient.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Illumina. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval