Illumina

Illumina Employer Reviews

A great company to work for.
Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 2, 2014
A great company to work for. This is crazy. I enjoyed working there. I just want to apply for this job but I'm forced to do all this too?
average company
Sr. Tech. Optical and Laser (Former Employee), Hayward, CAMarch 7, 2014
not many higher position created for employee who work for many years
Difficult to find job growth
Curation Scientist Intern (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CADecember 30, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: no benefits
Company avoids providing job security and benefits by hiring contractors. Does not put effort into employee career development
Fun place to work.
Intern (Current Employee), CaliforniaJuly 28, 2013
As an intern I got to learn a lot. The structure is very flat, where everyone treats everyone with respect. My manager helped me fit into the role with an easy transition.
very nice cleanroom, quiet and people are friendly.
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 24, 2013
Pros: potluck and surprises
I've worked here for 5 years, I tell myself to retire on this company when I get older because this is the best company to work my entire life. So sad I got laid off, and I am still hoping to work here and keep on applying on a job opening. Hope I'll be lucky to get hired again. 'missed the people and a good benefits and management.
Terrible Management Finance . starting from HR
Cost (Former Employee), san diegoJuly 3, 2013
Pros: coffee ok
Cons: short breaks.
This is the worse experience that an employee can have working for such a big company with no infrastructure. Low motivation from Management to advance in projects they wrap up the month end close with long overtime hours and yet they do not recognize you for your efforts.Lack of organization bad Management.
Illumina
Test Engineer (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMay 30, 2013
It's a great place to work.

For a company that continues to get big, they are able to stay ambitious, innovative, and relaxed all at the same time.

Usually in the lab for the most of the project, the team was structured with 3 testers, 1 project manager, 2 engineers, 1 developer.

Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to find root causes for – more... issues that have been hanging around for 2 years. – less
Soo many people... very little space.
Research & Development Technician (Former Employee), La Jolla, CAMay 30, 2013
Very smart people everywhere. Get used to sharing space. Prototype, test and validate. Hardest part of job was debugging RMAs. The most enjoyable part was happy hour Fridays.
Fast-pace manufacturing enviroment
Manufacturing Technician (Current Employee), San Diego, CAApril 18, 2013
Pros: professionalism
Cons: strictly medical
education place to work. Making medical devices for reseach.
GREAT COMPANY
IT Procurement/Asset and Telecom Manager (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 10, 2013
fast paced environment, great people and great culture. thoroughly enjoyed working here
Very interesting and excellent work environment
Payroll Analyst - (Consultant) (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 1, 2013
Employee orientated with excellent benefits. Fast paced casual and friendly atmosphere
No work life balance
Manager (Former Employee), San Diego, CaNovember 27, 2012
Pros: competitive compensation
Cons: no work life balance and poor leadership
Management is all about tooting their own horns and provides no leadership or recognition for high performing employees. There is no work life balance and growth opportunity is slim.
unclear/shifting goals, lack of transparency, poor work life balance
Former employee (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 28, 2012
Pros: coworkers...all in this together mentality
Cons: leadership, infrastructure, culture
unclear/shifting goals, lack of transparency, poor work life balance. The employees are stellar, bright, motivated, focused... Leadership is unfocused, uncollaborative, and creates an almost unbearable long-term work environment. Lack of infrastructure and solid systems create an inefficient and frustrating day to day experience.
State of the Art - Dynamic Workplace
IT Project Coordinator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 3, 2012
Typical work day was full, intense and non-stop. Staff were constantly on the go - running from meeting to meeting, filling their work day from start to end...and more.

The knowledge transfer and exposure to the genomic research field was informative, refreshing and awe inspiring.
FSE @ Illumina
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 21, 2012
Pros: culture, benefits, responsibility & challenges
Cons: n/a
Coming straight out of college, I took this position a little for granted. Pay was great (for no experience and a degree). Culture (for the first 2-3 years) was incredible. Company started to mature and tighten down in every dept for everything you could imagine. Still a great company and good people, but just not what it used to be. Will be keeping – more... a close eye on it's competition.. Pacific Biosciences! – less
Stress filled and political
Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 16, 2012
Pros: pto system is okay
Cons: no job growth is possible.
unfair toxic company.

I cannot and will not recommend this company.
Dynamic, fast paced environment where
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMay 24, 2012
Illumina, our technologies and our work may not be in the lexicon of the general population yet, but I suspect that will change in several years time.

With the cost of sequencing dropping exponentially, as the market leader, Illumina is in the pole position to make sequencing much more common place -- think every baby getting their genome sequenced – more... when they're first born.

Everyday we work to change the world. The passion of the employees is without question. Illumina hires the brightest minds in the industry and their knowledge, and their drive, continually pushes me to excel.

The work is demanding and maintaining a work-life balance can be a struggle at times, but the people and the products are what keep most of us (including myself) coming back day after day. – less
Intellectually stimulating, in a pleasant environment
Scientist 1 - Chemistry Development (Current Employee), Chesterford, EssexJune 10, 2013
Good collection of hard-working, intelligent people, who are easy to get on with.

About Illumina

Illumina elucidates the human genome. The firm makes tools used by life sciences and drug researchers to isolate and analyze genes. Its systems – Read more