Illumina Employee Reviews

Still under review
Sr. Engineer (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaDecember 11, 2015
The company is well funded. The company's success is due to it's large flagship sequencing instruments. Employee benefits could be better. Original founders have moved on to new competing ventures. Many failed and delayed projects, do no contract-to-hire. Summer socials with free food and drinks. Very smart bio- scientists and engineers, but lack collaborative direction; stale. Great global presence, with beautiful campuses. Engineering culture is transforming to rigid corporate style. First loses started posting.
Pros
Employee stock; Recreation facilities; Summer and winter paid breaks
Cons
Benefits; Relatively new field, experimental/unstable projects
never seen before for some thing happen
Manufacturing Tech (Former Employee) –  Hayward,CASeptember 19, 2015
The management in Hayward facility is very poor and too much politics therefore some employee are left without reason .
I had a lot experiences in FDA company before I worked there, but some reason they fired me and hired someone who is closed to them.The management in SD head quarter does not know a lot and find out deep over here.
so far , I found good job from the other company who like my experiences to help and bring the company going in the future .
Pros
no comment
Cons
na
Tense and negative work environment.
Staff Buyer (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJune 6, 2016
Awful experience sociopath manager drove me out of the company. He was driven to eliminate my position because he wanted to build his own culture of fear and unreasonable expectations. At first it was a good organization until two really bad managers were hired to improve morale. My manager had no business leading personnel; never motivated or encouraged only scowled and had his chosen few; the remainder of use were relegated to pretend that culture didn't exist. I do believe in their technology and the coworkers were wonderful. I suppose at some point in time Illumina was a great place to work.
Pros
free lunch every second Wensday.
Cons
Awful managers and hayward culture
Great Place To Work - Changing the World
Logistics Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 23, 2016
Illumina is truly changing the world with revolutionary genome sequencing technology.

Illumina has a great culture, and you will work with extremely intelligent professionals.

Illumina pay is below average for the Bay Area.

Illumina's executive management does a poor job at communicating key decisions and does a poor job at supporting operational level employees through transitions.
Pros
Free Lunch Every 2 Weeks
Cons
Poor Communication from Executive Management on Key Decisions
Next Generation Prison
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 5, 2016
Illumina is by far the worst company I have ever worked at. From the terrible management that chooses favorites based on looks to the unnecessarily competitive coworkers who hate when you excel. I will never recommend anybody sane to work here as only sociopaths would excel in this environment.
Pros
Some friendly people
Cons
Always being watched
Unprofessional unethical enviroment
Validation Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 21, 2016
A significant distinction between full time and contractors. Not to mention unrealistic deadlines, budgets, and goals.
Cross team communication and internal procedures are ridiculous and inefficient.
Cons
Excellent Work environment and drastic growth in my career
Solution Architect (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 27, 2016
Excellent team and support in all aspects and improved my technical skills here.Its very good company to learn new things and salary wise also
A great place to work
Mechanical Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAAugust 5, 2016
A fast-paced company where there are always more projects to be done. Friendly environment and people. It was nice to work very closely with manufacturing technicians to solve problems.
Pros
Free lunch biweekly
Illumina Inc.
Manufacturing Associate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 21, 2016
Great fast paced hire pressure work environment with opportunities for cross training and career enhancement. Good opportunities for overtime on a weekly basis.
Good place to work.
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAJuly 22, 2016
I love that they provide company outings once in a while. They provide lunch sometimes. Hours worked are flexible. They could improve their HR department as well as employee training program.
Nice
Workday Functional Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 15, 2016
It was really nice working there
people there are very friendly
I learned a lot while working there
Co-Workers are pretty freindly
I enjoy each and every moment
Management is very good
There was no typical day at work
Worst experience of my life.
Engineering (Former Employee) –  San DiegoDecember 20, 2013
This company despite the great stock price has the most horrible management structure I have encountered in my 30 year career.

Favoritism & politics rule the day and night and career growth is impossible unless connected in the right circles of insiders.

All the perks and the new buildings cannot even come close to being treated like trash every day, I did have a few great co-workers but most don’t stay long because of the toxic leadership.

I cannot recommend anyone working their because it will affect health and well being, they have no work life balance; they make demands for all your time and then disrespect you.

I have tendered my two week notice and have a better job/company waiting, Thank God.
Pros
stock price
Cons
toxic leadership
Laboratory clean room
maufacturing technician 2 (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 29, 2016
Performed all aspects on medical assembly dna slides performing final products qc and packaging process slides barcode scanning and labeling for inventory and cold room storage
Manufacturing Process Tech 2 (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 7, 2016
Management is not great no more because everything is just a mess, we would get different manager every six months or so because they cannot handle our department.
Great company
Manufacturing Process Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 17, 2016
Great company with good benefits. Growing biotech industry, there's always something new to learn about. People are great, the head quarters offers amenities for the workers.
Pros
Family oriented events
Stressful Environment
Sr. Validation Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 1, 2016
Unreasonable deadlines,
Unbalanced work/ family life,
Lots of Ineffective and inefficient systems.

Lots of hard working, smart and caring individuals who want to make a difference.

Products are high tech and highly desired for current direction in Medicine.
Excellent company to get good knowledge
Sr Consultant(Technical Lead) (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 15, 2016
Excellent company to get good knowledge at manufacturing domain. Latest technologies use to upgrade the systems. Good work environment to learn new technical methods
Global Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAFebruary 10, 2016
I really enjoy working for a great company such as Illumina, in Hayward, CA. Everybody is helpful, the products speak for themselves.
No work life balance
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CaNovember 27, 2012
Management is all about tooting their own horns and provides no leadership or recognition for high performing employees. There is no work life balance and growth opportunity is slim.
Pros
competitive compensation
Cons
no work life balance and poor leadership
FSE @ Illumina
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 21, 2012
Coming straight out of college, I took this position a little for granted. Pay was great (for no experience and a degree). Culture (for the first 2-3 years) was incredible. Company started to mature and tighten down in every dept for everything you could imagine. Still a great company and good people, but just not what it used to be. Will be keeping a close eye on it's competition.. Pacific Biosciences!
Pros
culture, benefits, responsibility & challenges
Cons
n/a

2.8