Position title: Senior Mechanical Engineer
Reports to: Vice-President of R&D
Department: Research & Development
General purpose: Lead innovation, design, and development of leading water sensing technologies to add to the In-Situ product portfolio
In-Situ® Inc. is a growing manufacturer of innovative environmental and aquaculture monitoring equipment. We have developed a reputation for providing industry leading quality, reliability, and accuracy in our products. As we develop a new generation of products, we are looking for an experienced, hands-on leader who will champion this effort and take our mechanical design to the next level.
Primary Responsibilities – This is a dual-role position of both leading a small team of mechanical engineers and technicians and owning the mechanical design and development of key strategic projects. Many projects involve design and creation of submersible (IP68) sensors with tight mechanical requirements that must meet an expected life of 5-10 years.
- Work with marketing and other engineers to plan and execute projects, assist in the creation of appropriate product and technical specifications, and establish timelines for delivery
- Create 3D layouts and 2D detail drawings for mechanical and electromechanical products and components
- Develop manufacturing processes and design and build production fixtures to support new product manufacturing
- Serve as the company’s materials expert understanding pros and cons of utilizing various metals, plastics, composites, etc. for different applications
- Confirms system and product capabilities by designing feasibility and testing methods; testing properties to confirm IP68 compliance
- Track and report the status of projects, acting as the focal point for mechanical activity
- Research new technologies and provide strategic direction in advance of technology shifts
- Assist with manufacturing escalations
- Provide leadership and guidance to coach, motivate, and lead team members to their optimum performance levels and career development
- Troubleshoots field failures and internal failures, driving to root cause and corrective actions
- Updates product designs as required to meet quality and cost improvement goals
- Creates, implements, and monitors appropriate test plans for new products and product improvements
- Works with manufacturing team to ensure that product launches and product quality standards are maintained
Education and Knowledge
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum 5 years experience in product design. Experience in the water industry or experience designing small submersible devices desired.
- Experience leading technical teams desired
- Understanding of environmental, groundwater, and/or water quality monitoring is desired
- Lean manufacturing / DFMA experience
- Strong communication skills to be able to work effectively with marketing, engineering, technical support, and customers
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and to meet deadlines
- Excellent self-starter skills and ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to thrive within a small but growing organization and a working-manager approach to achieving success
- Tactical and strategic thinking skills
- Ambitious and open to learn and adapt
- Process oriented problem solver and team player with a strong work ethic
- Logical thinker who is not afraid to dive into difficult issues outside of their area of expertise
- Technical Skills
- Proficient user of CAD systems (Solidworks preferred) including 3D layouts and 2D detail drawings
- Proficient in design of both molded and machined components
- Ability to use standard measurement and inspection equipment (calipers, micrometers, etc.)
- Ability to machine components given design specifications
- Electronic packaging experience
WORKING ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL CONDITIONS
- Computer system data terminal
- Normal office environment and minimum physical activity
- Machine shop and manufacturing floor support
- Occasional travel to customer locations – estimated at less than 25%
In-Situ® Inc. builds world-class environmental monitoring instruments ... and world-class careers!
- Excellent compensation package commensurate with experience plus paid holidays, paid vacation and sick days (FTO), medical, dental, chiropractic, life insurance, 401(k) plan, and 1/3 child care.
- E-mail apply online at www.in-situ.com if above qualifications are met.
- Please, no phone calls about this job.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please do not contact this job poster.
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, or national origin.
In-Situ Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Indeed - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard
In-Situ Inc. has been designing and manufacturing world-class environmental monitoring instrumentation for over 25 years in the Rocky...