In-Depth Engineering Corporation Employee Reviews

Challenging Work, Growing Company
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 29, 2017
A typical day -- for me covers lots of different areas. As with any job I've had the work / life balance must be worked on; if you let work take over it will. If I draw a line I do well with it. There are times when extra hours are needed, but that needs to be kept to reasonable limits and my manager is appreciative when I put in extra hours and backs me up if I say it's getting to be too much. I have a tendency to just try to get it done, but that's on me. I have to manage myself.

What I've learned -- development, integration, IT, Continuous Integration and Configuration Management tools, operating systems, C/C++, java.

I've learned it's hard to be a small business working on large scale DoD programs. It's hard to create a culture at a company, especially when you don't all work in one place. But it's also great. I've worked on US Navy submarines, surface ships, research vessels, shore based sites ... it's amazing what we get to work on.

Management -- as at any company some managers are terrific, some are not. I am fortunate to have terrific. I think most of the managers here mean well, but often the manager is not located in the same place as their direct report so it can lead to frustration. I don't know of any who do not care about their employees, just some are better at the people part than others. That's true anywhere. I gave management three stars; I think this is typical/average.

I also see that a lot of the people who take the most issue with management are the ones who only want to do that one thing ... usually software development. They are not interested
  more... in integration or scripts or CM. At a small company people need do more things; to me that's one of the best parts of being at a small company. We don't have a CM department or a large IT group. At the same time you have more autonomy and responsibility. More bullets on the resume. Your mileage may vary.

Workplace culture -- InDepth *is* struggling a bit to define its workplace culture, but it's not for lack of effort. It's difficult because many of our engineers are primarily located at prime contract locations, so it's a mixed bag of the culture we try to foster and the culture at a big company. Hopefully this will change as we get bigger and can do more work in our own labs and spend less time sitting in customer labs.

We are subcontractors for most of our work, so we often have to 1) keep a significant presence at the prime's lab and 2) take more direction from outside folks than we might prefer. But I know that management is trying to win more SBIR proposals that will hopefully develop into larger contracts with us as the prime contractor, allowing us to create our own culture. We have already been doing some work in our labs on a smaller scale in both our Fairfax and Columbia spaces, just not with as many people as we would like. Yet.

Hardest part of the job -- since I work across a lot of our contracts and infrastructure I am often pulled in multiple directions. Sometimes picking the right thing to work on is difficult because I have to pick who I am going to annoy by not getting what they need done first. Because everybody wants their stuff done first.

Most enjoyable part -- The work and getting to work on different things; looking back and seeing how we've grown since I started here when we were just signing a lease for our first office space.
Pros
Great benefits, challenging and interesting work
Cons
Sometimes disjointed work days
Looks Good on Paper
Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAAugust 29, 2012
A typical day at work-hectic and not goal orientated, think extinguishing fires
What you learned-crisis management
Management-the CEO is wonderful, 2 of the 3 VP are intelligent, the 4th VP doesn't have a clue about engineering.
Your co-workers-a caring bunch of folks, most are frustrated here
The hardest part of the job- becoming part of the "cool crew" that seem to have unlimited resources and good rapport with management.
The most enjoyable part of the job-engineering.
Pros
benefits package
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at In-Depth Engineering Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

In-Depth Engineering Corporation Reviews by Job Title