In-N-Out Burger Employee Reviews

Productive and Efficient Work Place
Food Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Milpitas, CaDecember 21, 2014
A typical day at In N Out Burger depends on what position you are working. If you are a cashier you count your drawer, take orders, calling out specific orders to the cooks, clean dining room, clean around registers, help call and hand out orders, count your drawer again and leave.

If you are working pay window (charging out customers through the drive through) you are processing payment after correctly repeating back the order, cleaning dishes (which are constantly coming in throughout the busy times), preparing tomatoes for burgers (cleaning & slicing). You also need to count the register when you start work and right before you clock out

If you are working the drive through corner you take orders through the headset, make drinks, and hand out food at the same time. You also help hand out counter order food (those that park and come in to order) if you are not busy, and calling out specific orders to the cooks.

If you work the fry station you are making sure you have a full sink of fries (raw diced potatoes sitting in clean water to wash off the starch) and a full spin up (raw diced potatoes spun to dry ready for frying), dropping the correct amount of fries that coordinates with the incoming orders, maintaining a clean station and practicing safe working habits, properly proportioning fries and making cheese fries or animal fries when necessary, and sometimes calling out orders if not too busy.

If you are working board (assembling the burgers) you are to make sure you area is fully stocked, and assemble the burgers as fast as they are coming off. The speed depends on
  more... the business of the store and the person cooking the patties. You are prepping the bottom buns as soon as you get the order tags placed in front of you in your area, wrapping them, bagging them, and calling out to have the orders picked up & brought to the hand out table, which is where the fries are. This is done all at the same time in an assembly line like fashion where you are the only one handling many tasks at the same time.

If you are the cook you need to make sure you are dropping meat down on the grill according to the orders. You have to make sure you are not creating much waste by not dropping too early or too late. You are also paying attention to your board person and working with them to get the food out properly, if that person is too slow it is your job to assist or say something to get them replaced if they are getting too overwhelmed.

Everybody is expected to provide excellent customer service and hot, fresh food delivered in a timely manner.

The hardest part of the job for me was working fries, because I never got to be a cook and loved working board. A lot of times you were by yourself working fries and it is very difficult to have to dice your own potatoes, spin them to be ready for frying, and drop enough fries for upcoming burgers all at the same time. It is as if you have to be two people at one time.

The most enjoyable part was the amazing organization and team work we all exhibited. We all worked like a well oil machine, with some minor bumps, but overall the organization allowed for great productivity, efficiency, and most importantly great customer service. I also loved working with a lot of my co workers and developed some friendships throughout my days of working there.
Fun workplace with a fast-paced environment and opportunity for advancement
Associate (Current Employee) –  Placentia, CAJanuary 14, 2014
Overall, this company is great, especially for a first job or if you are looking to move up and get into management. You have to being will to work hard and often at a fast pace, but you are compensated well. Management often has high expectations and will settle for nothing less than high quality product and service. Most associates are in their twenties, which often means quite a bit of joking around and goofing off. Management usually does not mind this at all as long as the work gets done. Most associates are easy to get along with and make it a social, fun environment to work in. A positive attitude, common sense, manners, and money handling skills are all required. The great thing about this job is the pathway to move up is clearly set. You begin as a level 1; I have almost become a level 5 in just the past two years. Every level brings a raise, and new responsibilities. There are 8 levels before you can enter management. There are high standards and goals set for each stored, which are strictly enforced. If goals are met however, there are great rewards! For example, my store has personally gotten to go to Laker's games twice, and a dinner cruise, all expenses paid. The company really does it's part to make you feel like "family." They coordinate a variety of company-wide events such as company picnics and sports competitions in which stores can compete against each other(sports include basket-ball, soccer, softball, bowling, and more) Managers are also very cooperative when it comes to scheduling around school which is great for college students. The only downfall about  more... the scheduling is the fact that as a part-time employee, you cannot work more than 28 hours a week and the shifts can be sporadic (varying between days and nights and changing weekly). I can honestly say though, despite the few cons and the intense work ethic required, that I love my job!!

P.S. You get three paid holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter) and they even give EVERY associate Christmas presents! Last year was a sleeping bag, this year was a light-up coffee mug, a beanie, and a travel bag for toiletries. GREAT STUFF!
Pros
free food on the job, clear opportunity for advancement(with raises), excellent starting pay for fast food, great incentives to work hard
Cons
fast paced environment, strict standards, schedule is not very stable (different shifts every week)
great first job to learn the in's and outs' of food saftey and resturant expectations
Cleaning Crew (Former Employee) –  Hemet, CANovember 22, 2013
. a typical day at work entailed cleaning the whole store from top to bottom until we ran out of time and finished the stuff we couldn't get to with our allotted time we were given then next day,

. I've learned how the food industry is and what they expect of workers and how to work at any given food business because in n outs standards are so much higher than 99% of other restaurants and food vendors and distributers, I've learned how to be professional and always respect the workplace and everything will go smoother

.management was decent but there's always room for improvement and discipline with people that don't come in to work and try their best everyday, because that's the most important thing in my opinion to come in to work and always try and do better than the day before,

.my co workers were great, they taught me that everyone works differently at their own pace,and they taught me to think of my co workers as family and the have taught me how to get along in a fast paced business with different people every day you get to work with,

.id have to say the hardest part of the job was pulling the weight of other co workers when we have to go as fast as possible ,and when your left in charge of so many tasks that you surprise yourself at the end of the day at how much you can accomplish when you give it your best shot and never get comfortable with your own job performance so you can always strive to be better.
. for me the most enjoyable part of my job was the friendships that are made between co workers, and getting to try new things every day
Pros
free lunch every shift, great starting pay
Cons
short breaks, and fluxuation of hours a week
Fast paced, hard working environment with questionable advancement procedues
3rd Manager (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAAugust 20, 2013
Work consists of high quality, face paced, energetic customer service via a quick service restaurant environment. Multiple tasks and positions are completed and worked throughout the day, which makes for an ever-changing and never boring work place. I learned a great deal about managerial style and tactics, food handling and safety, training procedures, customer service, money handling and personal connections. As a manager, I learned that the focus can sometimes veer from the employees to the business, which can sometimes lead to the work environment becoming more about the end result rather than the tasks at hand, which would sometimes make for an uncomfortable and stressful work environment. Co-workers are fantastic, as this company strive to hire only individuals who can strive in high stress situations, while maintaining a friendly and helpful attitude throughout. The hardest part of this job was the sometime relentless pace of work to be done, as well as management's inability to promote based upon performance and result, in favor of personal affiliations. The most enjoyable part was the pay, in relation to other "fast food" companies, as well as the fellow employees, which made the work environment enjoyable.
Pros
high wages, friendly co-workers, flexable schedules, great benefits
Cons
repetitive work, physicaly demanding, lack of management recognition
Fantastic high school/college job, with potential for an amazing career
Level 5 Associate (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTJune 4, 2015
In N Out is the best college job I could have asked for. They have amazing pay, amazing benefits, a positive work environment, great management, friendly employees, and maybe most importantly, a high quality product. After working at In N Out for 5 years, I still love eating the food, which is more than I have heard from any other fast food employee. It is a trying job for sure, to stay on your feet and stay busy for long periods, but I gained great customer service skills and the time usually flies because of the fun environment. All of the management in the company started out as a new hire, just like everyone else, so I felt like all of my managers genuinely cared about my work and personal life, and they could always accommodate my crazy schedule. On top of the great pay and fun environment, the company throws a picnic for every employee in the company, every year. It's usually at a waterpark/ theme park, and they have free entrance, food, and a raffle (I won an iPad once!). In addition, they also give opportunities for individual stores to have parties for the employees when they meet sales goals. Because this company is not a franchise, they are incredibly organized and have figured out how to get and keep happy employees. I am truly a life long fan of this amazing company!
Pros
Free meal, great pay and benefits, chances to improve and gain new skills
Cons
Short breaks, physically tiring
Fast paced, fun, challenging, rewarding
Associate (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAApril 16, 2015
The two most valuable lessons I have taken from working at In N Out Burger are the value of hard work and the importance of customer service. It is a very fast-paced work environment that requires each associate to work together as one functioning unit. A high level of communication is at the core of the hard work and the customer service that In N Out exhibits, and it is necessary in order to keep an efficient work environment. Not only is the professional work atmosphere at In N Out brimming with camaraderie, respect, and friendliness, but it is also highly motivating and rewarding. I think the most difficult part about working at In N Out was finding an efficient and balanced way to provide rapid and high quality service. However, over time and with gained experience, each associate eventually finds a comfortable rhythm and system that works best for he or she. The most enjoyable thing about coming into work everyday was, no doubt, getting to work with my fellow associates and managers. Considering the amount of work involved and the high standards that are expected to be met, In N Out has the potential to be an extremely stressful job; however, this is not the case. The store environment is positive, encouraging, and unifying in such a way that not only builds a team of workers striving towards one goal, but also friendships and leaders.
Fast paced and team oriented work environment
Associate- Level 6 (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAAugust 17, 2015
If you like to work hard, and work with a team, In- N- Out may be the perfect choice for you.
On the standard day you get to interact with many young adults that enjoy smiling and working extremely hard, meanwhile maintaining a smile, and a drive to produce the best burger in the business.
The management at In-N-Out is well trained, and very consistent. The store managers vary in their preferences, but the lower managers are very helpful and hard working.
The most difficult part of the job, is maintaining stamina. This job will put some miles on your feet, and definitely produce some sweat.
There is nothing more satisfying than making the customer happy and giving them a product they are going to love. I feel that the best part of the job however, is making it through the day knowing that you worked your heart out, and gave it your all.
This job has helped me learn interpersonal skills amongst co-workers, and also given me the tools needed to work in a team oriented atmosphere. Managing others when things were hectic was also a skill I learned over the years. Just simple directions that help the flow of business can make a huge difference, and I discovered how to do that successfully. Furthermore, this is the ultimate team, and working together is probably the most valuable thing I took away from this job.
Level 6 Associate (Former Employee) –  Thousand Palms, CAJune 6, 2015
Fun work environment that engendered associates to have pride in their work and value loyalty. While some may consider it "flipping burgers and making french fries", there is really more to it.
The interpersonal relationships with fellow associates, as far as loyalty, having one another's back, doing one's best possible work so as not to make someone elses job harder, believing in a compensation system built on fairness of learned and mastered skills, whether "liked" by managment team or not. Truely a work palce where advancement IS entirely based on skill level and the manner in which the job is executed. (meaning attitude, adhereence to company policy, ability to work well with others). Two of my closest friends, neither which still work at INO anymore, but met them both working for INO, at different stores, but one friendship is 17 years long and the other about 15, and that will last a lifetime. Probably one of the best jobs I have ever had and will have. Still miss it occasionally and it has been 12 years since I worked there. Overall,it was a great time.
Pros
benefits, relationships with fellow associates, good work
Cons
fellow associates who do not believe in the company ideal set, potential to work a well over 8 hour shift, dirty work
Loving family setting
Associate-Manager (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAJuly 9, 2013
A typical day at work as manager began with filling out a line-up for the shift. A line-up included the project sales, hours scheduled, where each associate would work for the day and the responsibilities of each position. As a manager one must set clear expectations and then offer feedback of observations to make sure the guidelines were met or to use as a tool to teach and coach. In management I learned about back-room/ office items such as ordering, taking accurate inventory, basics in scheduling, recording temperatures, accounting for the deposit and filling out sales and cleanliness charts. I also learned about mentoring and training others and having an energetic presence to get the job done but to still have a good time. My superior managers were always really supportive in helping me to move up and I would consider some of them my life mentors. The hardest part of the job was overcoming myself but I had my fellow co-workers and managers who saw my potential and helped to bring it out. The most enjoyable part of the job was that smiling was part of our uniform and smiling is contagious and I was able to share that with my co-workers and give it to out customers.
Pros
benefits, free meal when clocked in, 401k
Cons
small area to work in
Quality food. Fast paced environment. Team work. Satisfy customers.
❸ Always showing exceptional customer service (Current Employee) –  Los AngelesSeptember 8, 2015
I enjoy the environment as soon as I come in and clock in. As soon as Im on the clock its strictly good vibes from my fellow associates. Productive management which makes the shift run smoothly. A lot of team work, we all do our best to set high expectations for our customers as they eat and leave here with complete satisfaction. A lot of multitasking, communication skills are set, smiling is important. We do our best to provide the best quality in our food, everything is proper and fresh. I learn a lot from working here that has made me a leader and train the levels below me. I enjoy many things working here that has made me the person I am today. Time is flexible, many of us go to school or just have another job and management gladly puts the schedules we desire. Hardest part of the job sometimes is having a customer being unhappy with their food. Overall, its a great place to work and develop great customer service skills, build friendships, train to be the best, and just simply represent In N Out Burger well.
Pros
free food
Cons
Short breaks for partime workers, closing shifts on the weekends, dealing with drunk people.

Want to know more about In-N-Out Burger?

Ask a question
Pre-determined shifts with great benefits and advancement
ASSOCIATE LEVEL FOUR (Former Employee) –  Goleta, CAJune 26, 2015
Duties are assigned prior to shifts starting. Management is pretty open to advancement opportunities, so long as you express the initiative. Sometimes, management can play favorites, but that happens in any job, so its not really something specific to the company. Benefits are great, though I didn't use them because I had insurance through my school. Company does a lot for its associates and really treats them well with great wages, and company sponsored social events. Work can be grueling, especially during longer shifts, but it all comes with a certain level of satisfaction at the end of a workday. I only worked at one store, so can't speak for others, but hours were pretty available for the most part, although some slow periods would see drastic reductions for non full-time employees. Great place to work, would recommend for anyone who is willing to put in the effort. And obviously, it's In-N-Out, and as a California native, the Double Double is almost a staple. Free lunch every time you clock in.
Pros
Free lunches, advancement opportunities, competitive starting wage, always busy
Cons
long shifts, management is inconsistent
Team work and communication was always needed here. It was a great first job to learn about.
Level 2 Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 17, 2012
A typical day at work included reviewing what position you had for the day/night. Either you had cashier, cleaning the lobby, etc. I learned that multitasking, communication, and being observant are all assets in any work place. Management here was very direct and insightful. They were clear on new trainees and were patient on having employees trained for new positions. Co-workers were a bit rowdy yet focused. Communication is the heart of this company as we all work together to complete one task. One of the hardest parts of the job was to keep up with excellent service. Being friendly, courteous and efficient has gotten difficult at times especially when there are two thousand burgers sold almost everyday. My most memorable part of my job ultimately came from customers. Satisfaction will never grow old from seeing happy and satisfied visitors knowing that they have been taken care of.
Pros
free lunches, paid breaks (10 min), full-timers receive medicare/ dental/ retirement plans.
Cons
too many customers to handle at some times, store should be remodeled to accustom all customers.
Great work environment with great work ethic.
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 14, 2013
A day at work is filled with different components. You get rotated from position to position and it is to keep you working on your toes. It is very customer oriented and focused. The customer is always right and everything you do at this job is for the customer.

I have learned how to effectively deal with angry customers, how to hone my communication skills, and how to effectively work under pressure. The management is great for both the customer and employees. The co-workers are hard working people that have great motivation and a great teamwork is always displayed.

The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the fast paced environment. It used to be challenging but it gets easier with time. It is also quite stressful because you must be able to multitask and keep up with the fast speed.

The most employable part of the job is that the compensation is worth it and it is a great opportunity that cares. This job actually does a great job to hone your skills, and develop new skills you can apply to your life and/or other professions.
Pros
free lunches, dental plan
Cons
short breaks, healthcare plan, stressful
Fast paced and fun work environment
Level 6 cook (Current Employee) –  Redondo Beach, CaliforniaFebruary 20, 2014
At In-N-Out as soon as you clock in it is fast paced and busy until the time you clock out. My day here consists of cooking the burgers and maintaining good quality and a fast pace for as long as you are on the position. After you have completed about 2-4 hours on the grill the managers will rotate you to an easier position in which one will most likely have to do something dealing with customers, in any of these positions it is essential to have great communication skills with not only the customers but with the cooks and fry team as well to ensure fast, friendly, and consistent good quality. The people here are always energetic, friendly, and there is a great sense of teamwork all around, everyone helps each other out. The hardest part about this job is working a six hour shift with only a ten minute break, but other than that everything about working here is enjoyable, you meet great people and have fun throughout the whole shift interacting with customers and working with people who are extremely motivated.
Pros
free lunch, great people, yearly picnic
Cons
short breaks, only 28 hours a week
Fun, fast paced and interesting environment that really test one's customer service.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 3, 2014
There is never a dull moment working at in n out burger. There is always something new to learn, something to improve on skill wise and not to mention a plethora of interesting characters that come through our restaurant. In n out burger is like my second family where everyone is considerate and always willing to help each other out. The hardest part of our job is that we are so nice that some times our customers do take advantage of that. The most enjoyable part of the job is when everyone works together during a rush(extremely busy hour either lunchtime or dinner time) to provide amazing burgers and happy customers. Not only that, but everyone is always smiling all the time here. This company really takes great care of their associates.
Pros
you get a free burger during your shifts, management is very understanding of school schedule and are very flexible with hours, company provides christmas gifts to associates.
Cons
you spend hours on your feet, and your hours per week is usually inconsistant depending on business sales.
Productive, fast paced, fun environment
Fry Cook (Current Employee) –  Ventura, CADecember 13, 2015
In-N-Out Burger is a fast paced high intensity work place. Orders are always coming in and going out. As an associate it's my job to make sure these orders are fulfilled as quickly as possible while maintaining a high standard of quality. My job may range from taking customer orders to cooking burgers and fries, but my responsibilities are often more than what is specifically asked of me. It is important to me to take the initiative to help customers feel comfortable and cared for, even if my job description does not specify it.

The most important thing I learned at In-N-Out is to think on my feet - to assess a situation and decide what is a priority and what isn't - a skill that I believe is highly valued in the medical field. Sometimes this can be overwhelming, but that makes it the most rewarding, and therefore, my favorite part of the job. At times it seems like special orders and circumstances appear out of nowhere, but I take pride in being able to handle them efficiency.
Pros
free food, health benefits, advancement, high expectations
Cons
short breaks, high expectations
fast paced work environment
Currently a level 7- assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Buena Park, CaOctober 6, 2014
-run the shifts (give manager breaks and other associates if needed, send people home, put people on positions)
-handled money (check large bills, access to the safe)
-manager override (voids, frequencies)
-costumer service in store
-training in all positions

I learned how to communicate with different types of people and leadership. I learned how to handle costumer service and to give great quality.

Coworkers are great and friendly people. Management was supportive of me and always willing to help us learn new things.

Hardest part of the job is the hours of operation (working late) and being open 7 days a week, as well as holidays. With that you miss out on a lot of quality time and plans with family and friends. Also dealing with drunk, crazy people at late hours.

Most enjoyable part is the fellow associates there that I have bonded with.

Pay is great, but only working less than part-time hours.

Great for students and for a first job.
Pros
free food, flexible schedule (somewhat), high pay
Cons
benefits not great, hours of operation, hours averaging working
Productive and fun workplace, cheerful and friendly co-workers, management was always supportive and provided great deals of productive criticism
Associate (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJanuary 21, 2013
My work day was always the same but, the order of my work duties would change from day to day. These duties consisted of working cash registers, preparing food for consumption, serving food, taking orders, cleaning food preparation tools, and maintaining a clean and tidy work space patrons and staff.
I learned that good food service consists of more than the taste of the food served. It consists of good quality of food, fast and friendly service, and a clean and pleasant eating area.
The best part of this job was the sense of pride I received from providing patrons with an awesome eating experience.
The worst part of this job was that I could not support my living expenses with the pay received at the entry level position.
Pros
free lunches, all around great working experience including great oportunities for advancement
Cons
low pay for self sufficient adults at the entry level position
In-N-Out Burger is family owned and their morals show throughout the company.
Key holder/ Safety coordinator (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CADecember 30, 2015
As an employee at In-N-Out Burger I was treated with respect. I felt like I was apart of their family, management was very professional and helped each employee grow. During a typical day as a Key Holder I be one of the first two people to arrive. Either myself of my associate would let ourselves in through the main dinning doors and deactivate the security alarm. I would then begin my check-list walking throughout the property observing the previous night crews closing habits. Once the check-list has been completed: cleaning patio area, kitchen area, backroom, dressing rooms, refilling chemical solutions, confirming all safety equipment and emergency escape systems were working properly I would then move on to prepping the actual kitchen for opening. I would delegate all opening procedures until actual store management arrived to relieve us.
Pros
Ability to work without supervison and get the job done.
Cons
Early morning shifts.
Fast-Paced Job with Good Pay, Somewhat Difficult Work Environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 24, 2014
In-N-Out Burger is a good place to work for those who enjoy a fast-paced environment and a decent income. INO (In-N-Out) is an alright place to work but it is pretty demanding. An associate needs to be efficient in their duties and knowledgeable, they will most likely not be fired but until they become more efficient or knowledgeable they will probably be looked down upon fellow associate (that's a hard part when first starting off there). Co-workers are fairly decent in regards to the store I worked at. Store Management was pretty good; however, it really depends what store you work - each manager is different, some good some bad. Breaks are alright. You must work 6 hours or more to get a 30 minute break. 4 hours or more you receive a 10 minute break. Every time you work, even if it's for 1 hour you get a free burger which is probably the best part. On a scale of 1-10, I would give it a 6.5.
Pros
good pay, efficient company, good benefits if full-time.
Cons
demanding and fast-paced

4.5