In-N-Out Burger Employee Reviews in United States

Productive hard working environment with many tasks to be done
Cashier/ Associate (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CAMarch 16, 2016
At In-N-Out, we have to make sure the food is prepared up to customers standards, the customer is happy and taken care of by great customer service, and make sure the work environment is clean and properly working. I would help make the burgers, fries, drinks, take orders/ handle money, and see if any of my associates needed help with their job on a typical day. It is a very team oriented atmosphere, therefore communication is a skill I am use to, and am able to handle pressure, since it is always busy. My co workers are easy to get along with and are there to help each other in need. The hardest part about the job is the labor. The days are hectic and can cause physical pain in the back. Also, the hours, staying open until 1 in the morning, can be difficult to enjoy. However, the most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with and getting the satisfaction that a customer is happy with their experience. The associates there are great and have made many long term friendships.
Pros
Free Meals, health, dental, and eye care benefits
Cons
Short breaks, long hours, poor management
Great job with great opportunties for growth.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CAMarch 14, 2016
I really enjoyed working for this company. This is a very professional company that takes a lot of pride in being the best at what they do and serves excellent quality food and customer service. This job offers a bright future with many benefits.This job has taught me how to deliver great customer service, how to work well under pressure, how to properly manage my time, how to cook a good quality product, and how to properly handle cash flow. Although it is difficult to leave work at work with this company because it demands much of your time so I felt the need to pursue a career in a different field.
Pros
treats every associate like family. Christmas gifts, holidays off, free food, annual company picnic, gifts for being accident free, health benefits.. etc
Cons
No home life. Little to none, time off.
productive and fun work place. alot like a family
level 3/ cashier (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 30, 2016
Speak with customers, expect and handle money, while also washing dishes and working fries. Learned to keep a positive out look no matter if it is a hectic or easy day. Management was fun loving although some managers where fired for the personal habits. hardest part of the job was fries in my opinion only because i had to guess how many fries to put in the fryer and how long to keep them in but once i established a good rhythm things would become easier.
Pros
learned productive skills while keeping a positive mood and out look.
Cons
no real complaints
Productive, fast paced, fun environment
Fry Cook (Current Employee) –  Ventura, CADecember 13, 2015
In-N-Out Burger is a fast paced high intensity work place. Orders are always coming in and going out. As an associate it's my job to make sure these orders are fulfilled as quickly as possible while maintaining a high standard of quality. My job may range from taking customer orders to cooking burgers and fries, but my responsibilities are often more than what is specifically asked of me. It is important to me to take the initiative to help customers feel comfortable and cared for, even if my job description does not specify it.

The most important thing I learned at In-N-Out is to think on my feet - to assess a situation and decide what is a priority and what isn't - a skill that I believe is highly valued in the medical field. Sometimes this can be overwhelming, but that makes it the most rewarding, and therefore, my favorite part of the job. At times it seems like special orders and circumstances appear out of nowhere, but I take pride in being able to handle them efficiency.
Pros
free food, health benefits, advancement, high expectations
Cons
short breaks, high expectations
Very fast and fun environment
Cashier & Food Prep (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAFebruary 19, 2016
-Very busy every day
-quality of food and customer service is our priority
-management is incredibly professional and equal opportunities are available
-My coworkers are very outgoing, fun and serious when it comes to getting the job done.
-The hardest part of the job is when it comes to making the work flow very fast and keeping the quality of the food and service high. In this process no mistakes are acceptable which makes the service flow in a slow or medium pace.
-The most enjoyable part of my job is to make every customer happy and giving them an enjoyable experience.
Amazing Company
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Westwood, CADecember 4, 2015
I love working here! It's amazing and you can also get benefits when you are part time! This is a job for those 16-24 and after that you can move up in the company. Everyone starts at the same level aka level 1. so don't think you have a degree in management that you're gonna be a manager that's not how it works! Which I like because we all start from the bottom and build from the top
Pros
free meal when ever you work, paid picnics, fun work gifts
Great first job!
Board Person (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CAMarch 30, 2016
I loved working at In-N-Out. It got me on my feet and into the workforce. I learned about customer service, working quickly and efficiently, and time management.
The management depends on which location you are at, but overall you do have at least 1 manager that is fair and responsible. The hardest part of the job is when it gets very busy and there are not enough associates on the floor.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short break, may not get the schedule you want for the week
A typical day at work
In-N-Out Burger Associate (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZNovember 20, 2015
Associates show up happy and excited to work. Customer service is always a must, and a spotless, sparkling environment is the best way to give great service. Training is highly encouraged, and there are always opportunities each day to learn more and advance.
Pros
Free lunches, amazing 401K, great health benefits to full-timers, pay raises each level you move up
Cons
Harder to request off during the holidays
In-N-Out Burger is family owned and their morals show throughout the company.
Key holder/ Safety coordinator (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CADecember 30, 2015
As an employee at In-N-Out Burger I was treated with respect. I felt like I was apart of their family, management was very professional and helped each employee grow. During a typical day as a Key Holder I be one of the first two people to arrive. Either myself of my associate would let ourselves in through the main dinning doors and deactivate the security alarm. I would then begin my check-list walking throughout the property observing the previous night crews closing habits. Once the check-list has been completed: cleaning patio area, kitchen area, backroom, dressing rooms, refilling chemical solutions, confirming all safety equipment and emergency escape systems were working properly I would then move on to prepping the actual kitchen for opening. I would delegate all opening procedures until actual store management arrived to relieve us.
Pros
Ability to work without supervison and get the job done.
Cons
Early morning shifts.
Productive and friendly work environment
Associate (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJanuary 28, 2016
In-N-Out is by far one of the best companies I've ever worked for. All of the associates are always in a great mood and treat each other like a family. The shift leads also do a tremendous job at making sure the associates learn how to be more efficient and use the best criticism so that they may excel. The company truly cares about every associate and does their best to accommodate them.
Pros
Free meal after every shift, sporting events, 401k plan, medical benefits etc.
Fast Pace environment
Cook/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 9, 2016
In N Out Burger is an enjoyable place to work. They treat their employees very well by providing decent compensation and flexible schedules. They also provide extra gifts when each store hits their target goals. These gifts can be in the form of store parties or free company merchandise. The company also hosts several sporting events throughout the year that are only available to employees.

The job is very fast pace and the company expects a very high level of customer service and quality food preparation. However, they do a good job of training new associates to meet their standards. Overall, it is a great place to work.
Pros
Free lunch, flexible schedule
Cons
Short breaks, unstable hours during the slow times
Fast Paced and Stressful
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Canoga Park, CAMarch 17, 2016
When managers are on the floor I cook burgers. This means that I have the responsibility of the stores flow on my shoulders. When they are not on the floor, then I delegate jobs to associates in order to keep the flow going smoothly and diligently. I have learned how to talk to others and that each person responds to different types of motivation. Due to this environment, I have learned to not shy from stressful situations, but rise above and be the person that people can look to, to delegate the tasks and keep the business flowing. But this stress can cause communication problems between other coworkers. It is very easy to take things the wrong way and depending on other peoples moods, it can dictate their response to your authority.
Hardest part of the job is dealing with the younger kids that work there. Because this is a good starter job, many high school kids work there and I sometimes forget that they are kids, and they still have attitudes. The hardest part is also the most enjoyable. I work with some great people, and I have made lifelong friends from this job. I have also had the opportunity to meet great customers that are regulars and know me by name when they come in.
Pros
Free food, great benefits, and good pay
Cons
Physically draining, mentally draining
Great pay and great people.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTJune 11, 2016
Working for In N Out was a great experience. You really appreciate all the hard work that goes into keeping a restaurant clean, and making food safe and delicious. Everyone always has a smile, and loves working with their friends. They are very flexible with hours when it comes to scheduling around other work or school. My only problem with them is getting off of work of time. You will be talked to harshly if you are a minute late clocking in, but you will stay an hour to many hours past your clock out time (when your shift is scheduled as over) with no word from your shift manager or store manager. The attitude towards this issue from management felt disrespectful to many employees. In fast food, things can get hectic. But if you can multitask with a smile, the job is yours.
Pros
Free burger for every day you work, good pay, and easy to get paid more (leveling up)
Cons
Never off on time, can't be in uniform outside of break area while on break (changing takes time), white pants are hard to keep white
Fast-Paced work place with enjoyable co-workers
Associate (Current Employee) –  Gilroy, CAMarch 8, 2016
Typically I arrive at work at 9:30am since I am a morning body. I am usually the only person with a register in the front until about 11:15 when the second shift begins. By that time I either transfer to either pay window for the drive-thru or I train new hires. Even though i have only been at this company since October of 2015, I learned fast and got promoted within a month. Because of my proficiency in the basic understanding of the job, I was required to start training and that requires me to have a lot of patience and the ability to explain things carefully in the way that a new hire will understand. The co-workers are very enjoyable and we often joke around while still doing our job efficiently. The managers are also very easy to get along with and are nice yet professional. The hardest part of the job would have to be just how boring it can get sometimes, when you're on a register all day or training all day you get tired faster as opposed to being in different positions throughout the day but the job definitely has its rewards when you run into some nice customers or when all the co-workers are getting along. In-N-Out has its ups and downs but the good definitely outweighs the bad.
Pros
Free lunches, enjoyable atmosphere, benefits
Cons
short breaks, stress, boredom on occasion
Fast paced environment with options of advancement.
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 6, 2016
A typical day at In-N-Out Burger is working in a faced past environment, while maintaining quality of food we provide customers. Maintaining customer satisfaction is priority. The most difficult part of working at the job is working very fast, while still following many guidelines as best as possible. The atmosphere was very upbeat, enjoyable, and you always see people smiling around you. The most enjoyable part of working for this company was the advancement, co workers, and different positions to work everyday.
Pros
The environment, Free food provided, many breaks
Cons
Over worked, random hours, very late hours
Positivity can go a long way for a business
Host / Associate (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 29, 2016
In N out would strive to be seem as a positive and healthy environment. No preservatives, all fresh. Everyday with a greeting of a smile, In N Out has made a great name for itself when it comes to costumer service. Each and everyday, you would work with a different group of people, and this became your team. All smiles aboard, and we made things happen. When we had 3 large buses and a line through the drive thru, we kept one another sane. We became one on these small journeys and made it possible and we still maintained calm. In N Outs behavior will forever be instilled in me.
Pros
Free burgers during shift hours, Ability to gain more rewards for accomplishments, and secret shoppers viewing our work ethic.
Pre-determined shifts with great benefits and advancement
ASSOCIATE LEVEL FOUR (Former Employee) –  Goleta, CAJune 26, 2015
Duties are assigned prior to shifts starting. Management is pretty open to advancement opportunities, so long as you express the initiative. Sometimes, management can play favorites, but that happens in any job, so its not really something specific to the company. Benefits are great, though I didn't use them because I had insurance through my school. Company does a lot for its associates and really treats them well with great wages, and company sponsored social events. Work can be grueling, especially during longer shifts, but it all comes with a certain level of satisfaction at the end of a workday. I only worked at one store, so can't speak for others, but hours were pretty available for the most part, although some slow periods would see drastic reductions for non full-time employees. Great place to work, would recommend for anyone who is willing to put in the effort. And obviously, it's In-N-Out, and as a California native, the Double Double is almost a staple. Free lunch every time you clock in.
Pros
Free lunches, advancement opportunities, competitive starting wage, always busy
Cons
long shifts, management is inconsistent
Great start ad Culture
Level 6 (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJuly 26, 2015
Arizona stores are terrible for many reasons. California In n out stores retain the culture that was set by owners and synergy is through the roof! The compassionate managemnet is how all business should be represented and the list goes on. Benefits are at the top of the all industries I work for and the most hilarious part is that it was a fast food joint that ranked #1 in my life so far.
Pros
Lunch, synergy, benefits, advancement
Cons
short breaks, no real vacation time, schedule
Productive and team oriented workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJuly 8, 2016
Workplace gives special attention to its employees. Concerned for any needs of the employees. Shifts workers around during the day to ensure there is no monotony to the job and give a break from same job over and over. Management is friendly and works with employees on any frustrations with job. Job gives raises according to hard work and growing experience. Paid time for meetings, holidays off, and occasional workplace get togethers.
Pros
good management and benefits for employees
Cons
fast paced and occasional bad customer interactions
Productive and fun place to work
Associate (Current Employee) –  Baldwin Park, CANovember 22, 2015
IN N OUT BURGER is an awesome company who truly works to maintain customer satisfaction. Management is great and co-workers are extremely reliable.
Pros
Free lunches, great pay, great benefits
Cons
very busy

4.5