In-N-Out Burger Employee Reviews

Very upbeat and welcoming, Family style business.
Level 5 Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 25, 2014
Everyday was a pleasure to go into work. All my managers as well as my co-workers always had a bright smile and a great attitude at work. Customers can easily tell everyone is enjoying their time spent at work. While this was my first job, I developed the best work ethic possible in my eyes. I also learned the golden rule to any business, The customer is always right. The customers are the most important aspect to any business. If it wasn't for the customer would there even be a business to be had? The management was always friendly and also always worked with my personal schedule while I was in school or having medical issues. The company always took great care of all associates, giving us gifts for Christmas, throwing goal parties for us while giving away tons of prizes just for being an associate. If I hadn't moved to a location without In-N-Outs Id probably still be working there, at least as a side job.
Pros
free lunch when working, great pay, part-time benefits
Cons
repetitive motions
Customer service, food handling, and cashier. (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAApril 30, 2014
I appreciate how well the employees are taken care of. From our dental and health benefits for full-time but also part-time workers. Also, all of the luxuries that the company provides for us such as paid trips to Disneyland while giving us $75.00 spending money, company picnics, company parties at Dave and Busters, Dodgers games, as well as attending Clippers games while sitting in the VIP box section. I have learned about working for this multi-billion dollar company. I have learned how to interact effectively with different people from various backgrounds, how to manage large amounts of money, how to be responsible, and professional. Over all working here has been an amazing experience.
Pros
paid trips to disneyland while giving us $75.00 spending money, company picnics, company parties at dave and busters, dodgers games, as well as attending clippers games while sitting in the vip box section.
Cons
short breaks, physically intensive, very demanding physically and mentally.
Very Productive and established company
Pre-Management (Current Employee) –  Porter Ranch, CAMay 4, 2014
On a regular day we are generally very busy. Always moving at a fast pace but never jeopardizing the quality of our product. In my 8 years with the company I learned how to work with many types of personalities in order to make our team work the most efficient to serve our number one priority, the customer. Our management program is very good and consistent. We have many strong leaders that can motivate us to strive for our full potential. Many of our co-workers become close friends and feel almost like family, so working together is always enjoyable. The hardest part of the day would have to be when there are malfunctions with our equipment, big or small, that may delay our productivity. The best part of each day is seeing satisfied customers.
Pros
free lunches, great work environment, and ability to adapt for the employee.
Cons
partial benefits for part timers and difficulty in being able to receive full time benefits
good job but a death trap!
level 7 (Former Employee) –  californiaDecember 31, 2012
working for this company can be really fun at times especially if your young since most of the employees are under 25. decent pay for fast food work but they definitely milk every cent out of you while your there. you do learn good work ethic and get a good reference if you every make the best decision of your life to leave. the most unfortunate thing about this place is that they do their absolute best to SUCK YOU IN!! its very sad to see how much potential is lost there with long time employees who never chased their true dreams. It is even worse for employees who are fired or decide they want to move on after a few years and they realize that they are lost in the work force due to lack of experience in anything besides fast food. if you decide to work there make sure to go to school and chase your true dreams. And please do not loose your real ambitions or else you could be flipping burgers for the rest of your life.
Pros
pretty girls
Cons
they suck you in!!
Driven, Hard working to achieve perfection
Manager (Current Employee) –  West Covina, CASeptember 6, 2012
A typical day at work would include completing financial reports, inventory control, labor percentage and targeted sales for every day. Setting up 5 point of sale network for the start of the day. Have to develop a schedule of associate to ensure smooth business flow so customers receive world class perfection and service. Controlling over 30 associates on a day shift and making sure training, developing, motivation and positive reinforcement is being implemented. Challenges during work would include making our number one asset which are the customers are being taken care of and taken the extra mile. As well, proper planning so poor performance is never given. The most positive part of management is training associates and training them and watching them blossom by your teachings. Towards the end of the day, financial reports will be run, business flow charts, and inventory control for the shift.
Great job for anyone who can work hard and work well under pressure.
Level 7, Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 28, 2013
I've been there for almost a decade - since I turned 16 and could work! I know this job like the back of my hand but still see myself learning something new and improving. The people are what keep you coming back. It sure is a lot of standing up, moving around, physical labor, etc. For the pay and benefits, it's worth it. It also depends on the management team you have - I am lucky to be apart of such a great team now. I love the diversity of ages, ethnicity, and personalities in the stand.

It doesn't feel like work when you really like what you do. Yes - this is a job, so it gets stressful at times when people call in sick or it gets really busy unexpectedly, but in the end it is well worth it if you have the can-do personality and genuinely like people.
Pros
pay, company, people, customers, food, flexibility, quick advancement
Cons
late hours, physical labor, try to find balance between work and home
Fast-paced environment
Associate (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAMay 7, 2015
A typical day at work could be anything from taking orders to cooking burgers and handing out food.
I learned that working in a fast-paced environment was my strength and that providing good customer service goes a long way.
Management was cool. They were strict when they needed to be but were laid back when they wanted to be.
My co-workers were great. They were the reason why time went by so quick. We would sing and joke around but also help each other out when we needed it.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with those certain customers and trying to find the best way to keep them happy.
The most enjoyable part of the job was again, the fast-paced parts of the day. When we would have a rush and be selling thousands of burgers and associates were forced to work as a team to have everything running smooth.
Pros
free lunches, good pay, great environment, good benefits
Cons
hard communication with management at times
Fast-paced and fun environment
Stocker / Store associate (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJuly 22, 2015
Start at 6 am. every day and work till about 12. Throughout my two year experience I gained a lot of knowledge about customer service, fast-paced multi-tasking, and highly detailed cleaning and stocking procedures. Half of my day would be without a manager present, and the other half I was accompanied by a total of about 8 associates with a single manager. I and two other people in my position were the only associates besides the managers to have a store key in order to gain access to the building during the early morning. The hardest part of my job was simply moving around my fellow associates to ensure all items were stocked properly and cleanliness procedures were followed through with. The most enjoyable part was working alongside a crew of uplifting individuals who kept the store environment friendly.
Pros
Free meal on every shift
Cons
Limited opportunites of advancement
typical fast food experience.
Level 5 associate (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAJune 16, 2014
Working at in-n-out burger especially as a first job can be very beneficial. It has taught me the value of hard work, pride in our product, and ultimately that our customer is our greatest asset. Because if it wasn't for them we would have a job to begin with. Skills that I have learned from working there are communication skills and customer service/human relation. Management is average. There are those who stand out and do above and beyond and there also those who do whats needed. As for co-workers, all are like minded individuals who share the same characteristics of doing well for their job. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the irrationally angry customer who cause trouble for no reason. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the customer satisfied with their experience and thanking us for said experience.
Pros
free burger, competitive starting wages, flexible hours
Great job while going to school
Person can handle all of the following; Cashier (Current Employee) –  Simi Valley, CADecember 10, 2014
I started this job many years ago while attending college and they were wonderful about allowing me to work the hours I required while balancing my academic studies. The management team is very accomodating when talking about balancing time and work. The work environment is extremely fast paced and it takes time to adjust to the constant movements in close quarters. The management team is very passionate about having all associates learn more every day and advance their job positions. You even get a free burger once per shift. All in all, great place to work while going to school! Anybody looking for a part time to full time job while wanting free time to pursue an education, In N Out could be right for you.
Pros
free meal, accomodating hours.
Cons
physically and psychological stressful. part time employees get little to no benefits.
Unless you're a lifer, they don't care about you
Store Trainer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 16, 2013
You always hear wonderful things about In-N-Out. But the truth is, unless you're planning on going into management, the company cares very little about your happiness and comfort. I worked for the company off and on for 8 years, and I went about 5 of those years without a raise or training advancement because of how I looked. The company is against visible tattoos, so I had a meeting with a Division Manager to ask if it was all right if I were to tattoo my arms and wear a long sleeve. He said it was fine. And then I was treated like a piriah. The hours are long, the paces at which you work are intense, and there is a lot of pressure if you are human and make a mistake. Furthermore, you are not offered benefits unless you're full-time, and it's difficult to become full-time. There is a lot of favoritism, as well
Pros
pay, free food
Cons
benefits, messy, nepotism
Great place to work with a positive atmosphere
Cashier/Drive Thru (Current Employee) –  Midvale, UTJune 24, 2012
In N Out is a great place to work. They give you plenty of chances for advancement and are always willing to work with your schedule. I learned a hard work ethic and to always be doing something. Also, i learned that a positive attitude goes a long way and you can really make someones day just from a smile. The people I worked with were amazing. I learned effective communication and how to work as a team so the store functions properly. Some of my close friends i found while working there. The hardest part is that they like to push you and teach you new things and that can be really scary. They always are there to back you up and to make sure you succeed. I loved interacting with new customers everyday and meeting all kinds of people.
Pros
free meal, positive atmosphere, job advancement
Cons
not always long enough shifts
fast and friendly service great workplace
Food Server/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lake Elsinore, CANovember 20, 2013
a typical day at in n out burger will be serving our customers with great looking burgers! i learned many things over these past few years by our management crew like taking care of customers will be a priority, cleanliness is a must, and quality is something we take pride in everytime we had out a burger. my co workers are like family we see eachother everyday and working with them makes me learn something different each day. everyone at my job works hard and fast to do what we need to for the customers. its a pretty fun place to work. the hardest thing at my job is trying to cook the food and get the wait time to be 5 mintues or less. the most enjoyable part of the day is satisfying the customer.
Pros
free lunch, saftey free rewards, christmas presents, company picnic
Cons
short breaks, healthcare for partime
Amazing place to work
Level 3 Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 1, 2012
In-N-Out Burger treats their employees very well. It was a pleasure working for them during my years in high school and college. They were always more than willing to accommodate the schedules of those of us who were in school. They pay very well for a fast-food restaurant. I believe that I learned the most about quality and customer service during my years at In-N-Out. The managers have all worked for the company starting as Level 1 associates so they are very compassionate toward all the employees. The hardest part of this job was just keeping up with the extremely busy days. I worked in 3 different locations, all of which were extremely busy. The most enjoyable part of the job was the great pay and the flexible hours.
Pros
great hourly pay, extremely flexible hours for students
Cons
very physically exhausting
Great place to start .
Clean up associate (Former Employee) –  Signal Hill, CAMay 20, 2015
Now here's a outstanding job\and or career. My regular day would start at 1:30am to 10:30am , but I believe now it starts at 5am to 3pm. A "typical day" would include coming in to a messy and leaving EVERYTHING INSIDE AND OUT IMACULATE ! I learned that the clean up guys at any in-n-out are like the marines in the "fast food" cleaning world. We are fast paced, efficient , and most of all we get everything done .My co-workers were the best part of the job, everyone that I worked with was down to earth , chill and respectful. The hardest part of the job would be keeping up with management expectations , MOST of the managers never knew how hard we worked but they knew how high they want to set the bar. I would say that my co-workers and the customers that I see everyday were the most enjoyable part of the job.
Productive and motivational
Food Handler and Safety Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 23, 2013
Teaches you how to multi task fast and efficiently while handling multiple stations doing different things at the same time. I also enjoy the fact that the company provides opportunities for families and individuals to go out and have fun as company picnics and sporting events to exercise and interact with fellow coworkers and others from different stores. The hardest part was in the beginning learning to trust myself that I can multi task at a fast environment and when I did I learned I can become a more efficient worker but leader as well. I enjoy most helping and interacting with my coworkers bringing out the best in them and seeing our efforts together come to fruition.
Pros
health care, breaks, free food, company events
Cons
not enough hours
A fun working environment that encourages personal belief in the company for the highest standard.
Level 6 Employee/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 8, 2015
Maintain high standards of customer service during high-volume, fast-paced operations. Communicate clearly and positively with co-workers and management. Mastered point-of-service computer system for automated order taking. Handle currency and credit transactions quickly and accurately. Follow procedures for safe food preparation, assembly, and presentation. Built loyal clientele through friendly interactions and consistent appreciation. Resolve complaints promptly and professionally. Cross-trained and coordinated scheduling with team members to ensure seamless service.Took initiative to find extra tasks when scheduled duties were completed.
A day in a life of an In-n-Out Employee
Level 7 Cook (Former Employee) –  Alhambra, CADecember 2, 2014
A typical day would start by start by getting the store ready to open. Then open the doors just before 10. And start serving the regular customers that come in everyday. Those were some of my favorite customers. Usually didn't see Managers again until 11:30 or 12:00 because they would be in the office doing paper work unless we were short staffed in the morning.The hardest part of the job is working the corner by your self handing out orders getting chewed out to move the cars. But your waiting on the car to move, or something is wrong with their order and your trying to fix it. The most enjoyable parts is when we actually have fun in the stand and get all the orders out.
Pros
learned a lot about the buisness and a lot of people in the buisness
Cons
stressful at times.
A Great Company to Work For
Level 6 (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAApril 25, 2012
I love working for this company. They treat their employees extremely well. The atmosphere is fast-paced and fun. A typical shift is 6 to 8 hours. You work from the bottom up; they hire from within. I learned so much about the company, how to operate in the store, and life-long lessons like integrity, teamwork, hard work, leadership, etc. The co-workers make or break the experience; I've been fortunate to work with amazing associates for over 6 years. The hardest part of the job is the constant working, but it is so rewarding and time flies by so fast, it's not really a con. The most enjoyable parts of the job are the people, the pay, the benefits, the room to advance, and the customers.
Pros
free food, great pay, benefits, friendly staff, advancement
Cons
physical labor, high stress level
Its more than a job. It shows you values and morals apart from showing you hard work, teamwork, dedication.
Board (Current Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAJune 7, 2013
Typical day at work is just busy non stop. Having to get the customer out as fast as possible without leaving out their In-N-Out experience. I have learn there are values such as, pride in your job and workforce and workplace. That the end result is a reflection of oneself. The co-workers are a big deal there in order for us to keep pushing each other to our potential and more. The hardiest part of the job is providing the customer the overall experience. Which is the food of course, but the interaction between the customer and worker. To treat them like a close friend more than anything. The most enjoyable part of the job is the actual job. having the interaction between everyone.

4.5