IN-SHAPE HEALTH CLUBS Employee Reviews

The best perk is the free gym membership
Housekeeping Lead (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CANovember 22, 2017
I have never seen such a high employee turnover as I experienced here. The company undervalues its employees by not paying them competitive wages and the members suffer the consequences. There are no raises ever if you are an hourly employee except when minimum wage increases. A typical work day is spent cleaning and washing towels. The internal bureaucracy impeded my departments acquisition of vital cleaning supplies and getting amenities repaired in a timely manner which upset many members and staff. The best part of the job was interacting with the members and seeing them achieve their fitness goals.
Pros
Free gym membership, 20% employee discount on merchandise.
Cons
upper managment, lack of employee recognition, no pay raises!
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Los Banos, CANovember 19, 2017
I was given clients that other PT didn't want. Also, he would get the commission on all new clients even if they were mine. No motivation within staff, mainly talked about getting out instead of encouraging a new PT.
A very friendly fast paced environment.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CANovember 14, 2017
I personnally enjoyed employment at in shape health clubs. The staff was great and there was always advancement in job and responsibility. There was always something to improve upon.
Front desk
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CANovember 9, 2017
I loved LOVED a few people there but other people were just so bossy and fake and they thought they were in charge and tried to change how things were and didn't like it if you told them that's not how you were trained.. and you wouldn't think are stupid people but it's ridiculous how many people would try and sneak in and yell at you because your trying to stop them
Pros
Management is amazing
Cons
Front desk girls need to be re trained
If you have to look some where else
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Merced, CANovember 8, 2017
If you want a good career this isn't it dont waste your time. The Managers never wants to help anybody but himself. He never orders what you tell him to order. The pool is always dirty no matter what you do there is so much pool chemicals in the water that customer are complaining about the pool. All you can do is feel bad for the customer half of the machines are broken. So it up to you but, I did not enjoy my time there.
Pros
Free Membership
Cons
Nobody wants to there job and lack of hours
great place to learn about people, and how to improve and change lives all while working a fun environment
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CANovember 3, 2017
Training clients and helping new members get started with their personal training programs.
Culture is fun and I'm and outgoing person with a sense of humor so the members love me!
Most enjoyable part of my job is making our member's lives better and hearing my clients success stories.
Pros
helping people out and getting paid for it
Cons
inconsistent schedule
Co-workers are amazing, some became family.
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAOctober 15, 2017
Worked for a Call Center Prior for 13 years and was never on a written for QA, This company to strict on QA. I can get over how many employees are on written or finals for QA.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Free Membership with job.
Certified Personal Fitness Trainer (Former Employee) –  Ceres, CAOctober 8, 2017
In Shape was a fun place to work. I liked that I made a difference in my clients lives as both a Personal trainer and Group Exercise Instructer. The staff is very helpful and friendly.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
No medical benefits, No retirement benefits
Great management, fun environment
Membership Advisor (Former Employee) –  Yuba City, CASeptember 28, 2017
This is definitley the place to work if you're looking to change and save lives. Very fast paced at times, emotional based sales to help others make a lifestyle change to become more healthy and fit.
Pros
Great pay, fun environment
very poor management
Kids Club Attendant (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 12, 2017
I worked here for over a year. Very poor management and negative vibes around. They say that one doesnt quit jobs, we quit management. I do not recommend this environment because you are unappreciative for all your work.
Pros
Cons
Drama, poor management
good
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CASeptember 6, 2017
working here was fun, i love working fora gym. thats the field I'm in so it made going to work exciting for me. Also I'm big on health and fitness so this was perfect.
in shape
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAAugust 28, 2017
excellent company to work for lots of growth oppurtunities very strong management team. Very good structure to grow within In Shape. They teach and train employees well
Pros
great pay
Cons
lot of stress
Workplace Culture
Director of Facilities (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAAugust 24, 2017
Great place to work. The goal is to make people healthy and happy. It's a fun and fast paced environment. A place where you are excited to make a difference in peoples lives.
Membership Advisor (Current Employee) –  Palmdale, CAJuly 30, 2017
A typical day at work consists of first, checking emails to prepare for the day. We are required to make a minimum of 55 calls to prospective leads a well as generate new leads through member referrals. Assist members with questions concerning their current membership as well as help new guests start new memberships.
fun place to work, very social
Kid's club lead (Former Employee) –  Woodland, CAJuly 28, 2017
a typicall day of work consisted of talking to your everyday members and checking them in
what i learned about in shape was how to provide the most excellent customer service
work place is easy going very chill
the hardest part of the job was probably having to deal with an upset member the most enjoyable part of the job was socializing
Pros
free membership for employees
Cons
no benefits
Excellent
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Carmel-by-the-Sea, CAJuly 27, 2017
In-Shape is by far the best health club/gym to work at. It is also one of the best to attend as a member as well. Quality people in a quality place. Highly recommend to others.
Getting there but not yet
Fitness Sales Manager (FSM) (Current Employee) –  Monterey, CAJuly 23, 2017
The job can be relaxed if you are good at sales and have good people skills. The only stressful part is hitting your monthly goals, but if you can do that it is easy going. However, you can't make a finically stable career out of this job outside of a corporate position. That being said it's very hard to move up in the company, and it is hard to grow since there is not a lot of support for moving up in the company.
Pros
Easy if you can hit your numbers
Cons
No real benefits, hard to move up
Great Experience, Lousy Pay
Fitness Manager/Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 20, 2017
Working for InShape is a great experience, especially if you are new to the fitness industry. I really enjoy the day-to-day aspects of my job, helping members achieve their fitness goals. However, compensation is greatly lacking compared to the rest of the industry. I realize now I was the victim of "best case scenario" expectations of pay. The sales expectations/goals for my region are absurd & continually far out of reach.

As with many jobs, some managers are great, others, not so much. There is a push from upper management for onsite managers to micromanage their teams.
Pros
Helping members reach fitness goals, gaining experience
Cons
Lousy pay, micromanagers
Good team environment
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Lodi, CAJune 30, 2017
It is very easy to balance work with school. Workers are always very friendly and usually lead to friendships outside of the gym. Having a free membership to almost every gym is a huge benefit as well.
Fun atmosphere with access to equipment, classes and pool
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Porterville, CA 93257June 22, 2017
At start of shift immediately go to front desk and take over responsibilities: answering phones, working register, checking in members/guests, scheduling appointments(personal training, tanning bed, power cycling class). Balancing register at beginning and end of shift. During free moments and when double staffed, doing laundry(gym towels) and frequently walking throughout gym to make sure all rules(especially safety) are being followed. Mainly learned how to multitask. As far as workplace culture, it was a very busy place and had little time to interact with other staff members and management. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the housekeeping responsibilities as we never seemed to have enough towels. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to attend the group workout classes that were offered.
Pros
Access to pool, classes and equipment
Cons
Lack of sick/vacation time and health insurance