In Home Supportive Services Employee Reviews

Stressful, but worthwile
In Home Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CANovember 20, 2017
I find this job to be stressful although I am assisting persons with disabilities to continue living independently in their own homes rather than live in assisted-care facilities, which is a wonderful thing to do for someone who needs you.
relaxed and interesting as read the good book
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Alhambra, CANovember 19, 2017
my typical day at work, i came to his home and take a sit and watch the tv and i hear the interesting communication from my patient. Nothing hard because every day was the same skills.
Pros
we take lunch in the his favorite restaurant
Cons
his mood
Scedule and maintain appointments and document
Schedule and attend all doctor appointments (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CANovember 19, 2017
This was a rewarding job where I was able to learn to multi task
and create a healthy environment for my client. I maintained his safety, accompanied him to all medical appointments and documented all necessary events. The most rewarding part of this job was helping this client being able to experience life on his terms. The hardest part of this job was making major modifications so he could do so.
stressful
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 18, 2017
Extremely stressful with low wages. Yet it is fullfilling that you are able to care for a loved one in home. Unfortunately there are no vacation days but if you work over 80 hours a month over a 3 month period,you will qualify for good benefits thru the Union.
Pros
Caring for loved one in home.
Cons
Not enough pay or releif.
A stressful yet okay job
Caretaker/Provider (Former Employee) –  Hawthorne, CANovember 18, 2017
As a caregiver I was assisting my client with her daily medication treatments, housecleaning, taking the client to her doctor appointments. I have learned that the job can be at times be stressful and challenging with elderly clients as they may take out their issues on the employees who are helping them.
Pros
okay weekly pay
Cons
stressful work environment
In Home Care Provider
Assist client in areas of meal preparation (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CANovember 18, 2017
meal preparation, grocery and hardware shopping for client, meet with client's primary care provider, daughters and other services providers. I've learned to be compassionate and sympathetic to the needs of the elderly and disabled, relaxed because I work at client's residence. The hardest part is sometimes client is demanding, but I listen then assure him I'm there to help him. We have a lot in common, he's the father of our 4 daughters
Pros
client loves to tell jokes and he keeps himself busy, he's handy with his hands
Cons
he has poor health so I'm concerned about his physical health
A Good place to work
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CANovember 17, 2017
In Home Suppose Service is a good place to work especially if you like helping elderly or disabled people. It's flexible hours and it's good pay mad it's heart felt job
not a fun working envoirment
Care Giver (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 16, 2017
not a good company to work for in general but I like what I do for a living and that's makes it much better in general I think its needs a lot of improvement like helping people find jobs within ihss
Pros
Cons
schudle breaks
Lovely
caregiver, I (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CANovember 16, 2017
I enjoyed caring for others. It's not a job for everyone but if you have the patience and need to help others then it could be a good fit. The pay is not great however I learned many skills.
Day as a PA
Personal and Home Care Aide (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CANovember 15, 2017
You work in the home of a person, cleaning up after them and taking care of them. You do the housework and take them to their doctors appointments. You pretty much take care of their house and their physical and emotional needs.
Flexible work hors
Care Giver (Former Employee) –  Redding, CANovember 15, 2017
IHSS has flexible work hours. Your client is your boss. The most enjoyable part of your day working at IHSS is making your clients life a little bit easier by performing tasks which they cannot do by themselves.
Care Provider
Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CANovember 14, 2017
I worked for over 4yrs. in this position. I took care of my parents until they passed away last years. I enjoyed taking care of them, making sure all their needs are met. If I could I do it all over again, I would gladly.
Pros
Gave me quility time spent with my parents
Cons
The pay not good and information from Ihss wasn't accurate.
It was a rewarding job to see improvements
Caretaker/Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Paso Robles, CANovember 14, 2017
I was a full time worker I did all chores cooking and cleaning I had to make sure meds were taken regular and took patient to all doctor appointments. Harderst part of job when seizures occurred and he would be disoriented. Had to calm him down. Most enjoyable part was just making sure he could live a happy life.
Pros
I was a at home caretaker
Cons
so many doctor appointments
Depends on your recipient
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CANovember 14, 2017
Ultimately where you work & who you work for will determine whether or not you are satisfied/happy with your workplace. But IHSS provides a list of recipients you can work for and you can change recipients at any time.
Active Day!
Provider (Former Employee) –  Chatsworth, CANovember 13, 2017
As my shift starts, I prepare a hot meal and recommend medication. If patient is fuzzy that day take deep breaths before next exercise. Be patient at all times. Always smile the patients love it, it make their day!
Pros
help prevent medical complications, learn their likes and dislikes
Cons
being resistant makes the job more difficult, patients don't like depending on anyone but themselves
Great Place to work short term
Assist patients (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CANovember 13, 2017
The job itself was very easy and relaxed. We do not have someone who is consistently checking up on us but we do have to get things done. The reason I left was because my hours were being cut due to the patients well being.
This position can be rewarding and depressing.
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ukiah, CANovember 13, 2017
Just wanting a new atmosphere. this type of work can be depressive seeing clients that go through health issues. Also, some clients can be very disrespectful.
Good part time work for college students
Care provider (Current Employee) –  Red bluff caNovember 13, 2017
Good part time job for college students, or for others that like to make thier own hours. It is a relaxed job and you get to help the needy and elderly.
Sharing memories and learning from your patient
Medical Assistant/NA (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 13, 2017
Whats nice about working with someone on a personal level is that you learn things from them. Daily lifestyle , habits , time management are some things that go with the work.
enjoyable
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CANovember 12, 2017
I love being around people in need it feel good to help them and care for them. Its what you would do at home if you live with family cook, and clean.