In Home Supportive Services Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,971 reviews matching the search
About I.H.S.S.
Provider (Former Employee) –  Gardena, CAAugust 14, 2016
I.H.S.S. is an excellent opportunity for both the Provider and the Recipient. What I liked most about it is that I felt that I was providing services to someone who needed it. There is also much flexibility in this job.
Workers check on Recipients in order to make sure all there needs are met. This is great because the Provider then realizes if her or his job is meeting all expectations and has an opportunity to improve in areas needed if this is the case. When needed workers that speak the Recipients language are provided.
Pros
Helping others
My experinces
Homecare / Nursing Home Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 31, 2016
a typical day at work wil be to have medicine ready for the patient her bath ready and her clothes, for the day and all sow her breakfast.

yes every day is medicine , prep meal , clothes , wash her , clean her bed take care of her exercise her legs and arms , and if she cant eat enough calories she all sow has e g-tube from her stomach were her medicine goes and some time e caned off food base of milk with enough calories for her.

its very interesting job and experience and i will like to work again doing caregiver.
If you enjoy taking care of others this is a good job for you.
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Fontana, CAJuly 25, 2016
Most days are predictable. You learn how to see and accept things you don't usually have in mind. Sometimes we take many things for granted and don't truly appreciate, most of the time. Different personalities sometimes make you wonder if your doing your best each day and gives you an opportunity to improve. The most difficult thing is to see things that you can't really change, but always find a way to make it the best. The thing I enjoy is how I can make things better by putting your best face forward, giving a smile, or a nice compliment...I really makes a difference sometimes.
Pros
Companionship and helping someone in need.
Cons
Schedules not always a sure thing.
It was a unique experience.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Eureka, CAAugust 14, 2016
I would get to work for each person and immediately ask the client how they are and what they would like me to accomplish for them today. I learned that everyday is a new day and that most of the time the client just wants companionship. It was pretty simple to organized my schedule with the time and days because the clients were flexible with their schedules. I didn't have any co-workers. The hardest part of the job was realizing that even though these clients are handicap, they are still your bosses and they can tell you if they don't like the way you are doing something. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I got to get to know these clients even though they are part of different age groups and time periods.
On my two jobs with Stockton Unified School District and with Dollar Tree
Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJuly 20, 2016
I am continually learning a lot from both companies. First and for most; both encourage to be able to have great communication skills with the public and to be able to resolve conflicts with a quick and fair resolution at all times.
Management/Administration have been both where I can talk with them at any time.
My co-workers have been great to work with and personally speaking I have been fortunate to work with a great set of individuals that believe in team work.
Pros
Working with the public
Cons
Power Outage's
Provided necessary work as askeed by the elders.
Home Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 3, 2016
Typical day was cooking, cleaning, provided transportation and bathing. I learned about how to provide safe procedures when working with elders and how to meet their needs. The management was great not too strict. The hardest part of the job was bathing the elder as I am trying the best to make them comfortable. The most enjoyable was providing assistance and learning more about my passion.
Pros
free lunch
Rewarding and good natured
In Home Care Provider (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJuly 12, 2016
A typical day is completed on the terms of the client and myself, not a forced interaction between employee and employer. It consisted of genuine care of a person's well being. The ability to take someone who is not family by blood, and embrace them and care for them like family. There are may disabled and elderly adults who don't have anyone to give them a caring hand.
Pros
flexible and rewarding
Cons
low wages and losing a client
good job to make some money
provider (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 11, 2016
I worked 9am-5pm full time taking care of clients: clearing, preparing meal and a lot more . I learn how to be more helpful and friendly and how to manage food and rent budgets. one of the hardest time about the job is that you do more then you get paid, you travel a lot but isn't paid for gas or overtime and the most enjoyable thing I like about this job is you meet people who have great stories.
Pros
you meet new people
Cons
the paid
Go work at a Hospital
Care Provider (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 20, 2016
I do a lot more work than I get paid for because the government that compensates doesn't have an understanding about what is needed to care for a disabled person. Tasks take longer than it would for a physically capable person. The pay is minimum wage, and you don't get compensated for driving like time and mileage. You have to really care about the person that you are taking care of, because it isn't easy and the pay isn't great, and the union takes their share, but don't expect much from them.
If you like caring for people, work at a hospital.
Pros
It is a job
Cons
Low pay, unrealistic expectations
Enjoyed my clients and work environment
Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Fallbrook, CAMay 31, 2016
Spend time with client, cleaning their home, making meals, doing laundry, taking client out for errands and doctor appointment.

I learn how my client likes thing done in their home, so I don't upset their life style.

I manage my time very will and work great when given a challenge.

The hardest thing about this job is making appointment that won't have conflict with other clients appointments.

Visiting with my client is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Care Provider For Recipient With Cerebral Palsy
Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 11, 2016
• Transfer Client (90+lbs) on and off wheelchair to bed
• Attended social trips with Recipient and ensuring his safety
• Assisted with everyday living activities containing; light cleaning, giving dining services and doing laundry
• Provided help to Recipient with activities of daily living, involving grooming and personal hygiene
Easy and independently place to work.
Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 19, 2016
In-home support-service caregivers provide a range of services for clients, such as bathing them, preparing meals, light housework, shopping for groceries, helping them go to the bathroom or even providing companionship and conversation. They may help their clients remember to take prescribed medication. They may also take them to appointments with their healthcare providers. Some caregivers also share information with a client’s family. Caregivers who work for agencies may also need to perform some administrative duties, such as filing paperwork and reporting changes in a client’s mental, physical or emotional state to a supervisor.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Time consuming with the client, low pay wage
Local, Part time work
Home Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montebello, CAMay 31, 2016
Cared for client during periods of time, Provide client with communication support and assisted client in transportation with car. Maintained a safe working environment for self and client
Instructed and informed client on health care issues regarding hygiene and nutrition
Performed light housekeeping duties; cooking, cleaning, and errands
Pros
local
Cons
Part time
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Paramount, CAJune 13, 2016
Able to care for and take care of my grandpa while at home. I was also able to focus on school which made it easier for my schedule.
Learned to have patience and managing time appropriately. Hardest part of the job was being patient with my grandpa. Most enjoyable part of the job, I had the opportunity to create a bond with him and spend a lot more time.
Pros
In home care services
Cons
Working one on one with patient
CNN (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 26, 2016
I like this company because they are flexiable with hours and if for any reason you vcant work specific days you can call another employee in that network to switch with you.. I also like the team effort that the company has. I like that it uis a union. also provides advancement and medical benenefitts
Pros
BEING ABLE TO WORK IN THERE HOME
Cons
BEING ON THE LIST AND WAITING FOR AVAILABLITY
Love that I can work my hours around appointments and family outings
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Hanford, CAMay 4, 2016
I love being a caregiver. I like to make people smile when they are having a bad day, The person I care for is my employer and we have not only a work relationship but also a friendship. I learn that I have more patience then I thought I had. I have no co-workers its just me. The hardest part of the job is not knowing if I will have a job the next day due to taking care of the elderly. I enjoy being able to make someone happy and know they will always have a smile when they see me...
Pros
I can work the hours around
Cons
the traveling
Productive job environment
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chico, CAMay 3, 2016
A typical day at work is providing care for my client assisting with adl's, meal prep, cleaning, running errands, taking to and from doctors appointments, etc. My client is an amazing person and brings such joy everytime i have to do something for her. The most enjoyable part of my day taking care of my client is seeing the smile on her face when something is accomplished, or I can provide an supreme level of support and can do attitude. I enjoy taking care of my client.
Fun Place to work
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Clovis, CAJune 22, 2016
My typical day at work consists of caring for a client by bathing, dressing, feeding and ministering medications. I've learned how to communicate with my client and the continued growing skill of communicating with family members. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to be there for my client by talking to him, and making him laugh.
Seeking a long term position with room for opportunity
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAApril 24, 2016
A typical day at work for me is to finish what I have started. Don't leave anything incomplete. Work at a normal pace where I could get the work done. The most enjoyable part about a job is when everyone is working all together like a team. I have learned to be always on time to a job and never be late. The challenge of the job is the hardest part but for me I put challenges on my list as easy come easy go.
Great
Health Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJune 17, 2016
My typical day at work was helping the elderly and i really enjoyed every bit of it. My co workers was great to work with what I learned at this job is never take life for granted because it is short and still be happy and keep a smile on your face and enjoy life no matter what age you are.The hardest part of the job was when the clients passed away.

4.2