Indeed Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Finance intern
Revenue Strategy/ Sales Development Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 29, 2017
Great company, I would recommend for anyone who's interested in the tech industry and loves a company who cares about its employees. Great benefits and company culture is top notch
I never want to work anywhere else!
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 22, 2017
I have ten years of experience, but recently came to Indeed. I have never been part of something so inspiring. They genuinely care about "I help people get jobs."

They have the best food (for free) and have such a laid back culture. The benefits are extensive (gyms, gym classes, free food / drink, up to date technology, events - all the time, no dress code, etc etc). They are so focused on being involved in the community - it is inspiring. I love this place and don't want to leave ever.
Pros
free food, gym, casual atmosphere, strong culture
Great to learn
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 22, 2017
Learned a lot about the sales process and attaining quotas while here.

Management tends to promote people who aren't necessarily most mature for the job, which can hinder growth for current employees.
Pros
Free lunches
Hipster/Millennial Paradise
Account Manager / Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTAugust 22, 2017
Cool place for young people- too many management changes- focus has shifted and the business has shifted towards capturing dollars- shaking in their boots about Google- was a great place in 2016 when I started, but it became so cutthroat in 2017- made it a bit uncomfortable trying to generate money from clients that should have been with small business like they used to. Really bad diversity problem, but such is life for internet companies- over 90% white last time I read- about 3% black, and other fills the rest. Feels like NYC there.
Pros
Good Money
Cons
Bad Sales Managers with unrealistic expectations
Awful management
Employee Experience Team (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 17, 2017
There is a reason the average age there is around 25... They offer flashy perks to draw in people fresh out of school and then treat them poorly until they leave. Management is just concerned with protecting themselves and they consider workers disposable. Don't even consider working for them as a contractor.
Pros
Free Lunch, game room
Cons
Disorganized, No company culture, Poor management
August 19, 2017

This is definitely not what we're trying to create for our valuable employees. Thank you for sharing a piece of your story. We'd love to hear more if you're open to helping us understand your experience with management as a contractor. Please email us confidentially at inside@indeed.com.

Awesome place to work
QA Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 16, 2017
Indeed is a seriously great place to work. Product teams are really close and tight-knit and there's very little friction across functional units. Management takes a very dedicated - yet weighted and scientific - approach to employee feedback and really listens to everyone at every level. The degree of ownership and impact you'd like within your product team is very flexible so everyone can easily find his or her comfort zone. There's an open culture that strongly discourages immature, ignorant, intolerant, hateful, or negative attitudes. The food at HQ is amazing, and the work groups and events allow you to meet a ton of people. Desk space is ample and collaborative while allowing for flexible environments (go work at a couch, a conference room, or the kitchen if you want.) Hours are flexible as long as you're around for meetings.
Pros
Everything.
Cons
Sometimes people work weird hours so you never know if someone's around.
Growth Opportunities Lacking & Poor Office Morale-- But There are Snacks!
Client Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJuly 28, 2017
If you are the type of person to be distracted by perks such as snacks and monthly happy hours, Indeed is the place for you.
When I first started, I had a genuine love for Indeed's mission and I believed that our company had its employees/clients/job seekers best interests at heart. For example, the work/life balance at Indeed is great, and there's healthcare coverage! The maternity leave here is awesome, and there are some outreach efforts to impact our surrounding community. There is also a portal dedicated to internal mobility-- but the reality of internal growth opportunities is less promising than presented.

If you're not in one of the main office branches, you can't expect any personal development or career openings for further growth. Additionally, you may have a Manager/Director who will tell you that your feedback is valuable, but will in turn negate any feedback you share; no matter how tactfully you’ve presented it. In some instances, feedback given has been used to negatively impact employees during quarterly reviews. This kind of gaslighting is disappointing, but it's what you can expect if you plan to work in the San Mateo office.

Further, there is blatant favoritism amongst Managers/Directors, even to the point of promoting less experienced Indeed employees to senior positions. Given how political the office culture is, it's starting to resemble high school as opposed to a professional working environment. Managers will often be involved in conversations that are inappropriate for a workplace, and given the corporate structure, there is little that can
  more... be done without repercussion.

If you're interested in switching departments, or further developing from the role in which you begin, this is likely not the place for you. It seems to me that Indeed relies on its brand name to attract new talent and indoctrinate new hires into believing that Indeed values more than just its bottom line. In reality, when employees find that this is not the case and leave, this never-ending cycle continues to perpetuate. Many of our most senior employees (3-4 years) have already left Indeed for this reason-- including a CS Manager, who helped influenced the San Mateo office in a positive way. I know that Indeed will do well as its brand will continue to attract new talent, but if I can give you my honest advice after having worked here: please don’t waste your time.
Pros
Healthcare, Maternity Leave, 401k
Cons
Unlimited PTO has strings attached, bureaucracy, blatant favoritism, unprofessional work environment
August 27, 2017

We're sorry to hear that you didn't have a great experience in your time at the San Mateo office. There's a lot to dig into, in your review, but here are some high level responses. If you're open to sharing additional specifics confidentially, please email us at inside@indeed.com. Thanks for sharing.

Open PTO - This is one of our best benefits as rated by employees, but you do need to coordinate timing with your manager. If there is any confusion, you can talk to your HR business partner as well.

Switching departments (internal mobility) - We have a dedicated team working to facilitate internal transfers and encourage employees who are looking for additional growth opportunities, to seek them inside Indeed.

Management - We are growing rapidly, having just passed 5,000 employees and we need people who understand the mission and culture, to help lead productive teams. This means sometimes we are stretching and developing leaders from within as well as hiring new employees.

Feedback like yours is valued across the organization. We ask for it, need it, and share it internally. Our monthly and quarterly meetings are also a good place to ask questions, that are voted 'up' by employees and seen directly by leadership.

On the surface this company appears to have it all but the reality does not live up to it's potential
Client Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJuly 6, 2017
Pros:

I really enjoyed my colleagues, they were all really great people to work along side.(Please note, almost 50% of CS San Mateo has left Indeed within the last 3 months, this turnover should be telling)

Many snacks, free food for breakfast daily and for lunch once a week. Wii U in the office, Mario Kart.

Depending on where you are coming from, Indeed can be a great place to build your skill set. If you hone in on certain aspects of the role, you will become much more marketable in the Bay Area after working for Indeed.

Convenient location right off of 101 and 92.

Cons:

Favoritism is the biggest issue the San Mateo office has. Certain people get more support and resources then others. This is fine sometimes, but everyday it gets old quick. It really depletes from the culture, and when the wrong people are promoted, it looks like this favoritism is actually driving the direction of the company culture.

Indeed says its a company interested in feedback from employees, but this is not actually the case. Expect gas lighting, and expect to be a "yes man" and nothing else. Not only will your feedback go unheard, it can often count against you later. General processes are also ill communicated between management and teams.

There is almost no advancement within the San Mateo office because there are only two departments that sit there. While Indeed will tell you that it cares about your career and your advancement within the company, I have seen a very small percentage move up internally. I saw far more qualified people rejected for internal roles.
  more...

Don't get too excited about Unlimited PTO, this is entirely up to your manager.

In case if you didn't know San Mateo is also regarded as a satellite office. It has long outgrown the space that its in, and there seems to be no real effort to give more space to the employees there. You can expect very little attention to this office from the organization overall , its a blip on their radar, which is sad because it used to be a top performing office. It would benefit them to put more care into the facility itself, as well as putting more training and departments in the office.
Pros
Free food. Gaming systems in the office. Decent comp and benefits.
Cons
Management. Inclusive culture.
Only good for entry level experience
Customer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  San MateoJuly 6, 2017
good for entry level employees, but bad for experienced workers.

low pay
dishonest and incompetent management from top to bottom
no real growth opportunities
not that much work flexibility

nice colleagues
Indeed is the best place I've ever worked!
Client Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTJune 22, 2017
Indeed is the best place I've ever worked! I say this because I'm challenged each day, motivated to do my best and feel supported by my management team. It's a joy coming to work each day!
Pros
Benefits, Friends
Such a great job!
Training and Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTJune 22, 2017
I absolutely love working at Indeed. Not only is my team collaborative and supportive but the entire company is as a whole. Our company has a strong sense of community that is felt in every office globally.
Pros
Free lunches, Unlimited PTO, Wfh
Lack of learning
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 22, 2017
I just started in the Scottsdale office and was excited to start with such a cool company but I'm finding that I'm not receiving what I was promised. IT issues are frequent and learning and training is few and far between. There seems to be a trend of sourpuss leaders in our office; it's very discouraging and detracts from the overall culture. I'd love to see this improved!
Pros
The food is awesome!
Cons
No coaching and grumpy directors
August 27, 2017

Thanks for your feedback from our newest U.S. office. As you know, we are still building out the space and hiring for Scottsdale, which means more friendly faces to support, learn from, and grow the culture there. If you have IT issues, please submit a support ticket so they can help. We hope you can help us keep it a great place to work, and invite you to send any additional details to inside@indeed.com.

Enjoyable Environment and Great People
Sales Intern (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTJune 17, 2017
Workplace culture doesn't get much better than Indeed. People are young, personable, and a joy to be around. Free catered lunch on wednesdays (very good 90% of the time) and free catered breakfast on fridays (very good 90% of the time). Kitchens on every floor are fully stocked. Coffee machines are top of the line. There is a cold brew coffee tap.
Pros
Countless Positives
Cons
Occasional lack of transparency regarding quotas, leads, etc.
Great Place to Work
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTJune 15, 2017
Great Atmosphere you never clock watch and rarely do days drag on. It is a young fun environment. You can make a lot of money if you are willing to work for it. Would recommend to anyone
Pros
Free Food, Fun Atmosphere
Cons
Hours can be long, but it is a great place to work.
Always somewhere to grow
Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTJune 12, 2017
As an intern who became a full-time worker upon graduation, I see that there are so many opportunities to grow! The company has a great mission to help people get jobs.
Pros
free lunch, mario kart, breakfast
Productive and Fun place to work
Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTJune 12, 2017
I enjoyed my time at Indeed. It was a quick paces sales environment that was very competitive and offered a great team environment to work in. Although it is a not easy to make sales by any means there is a decent amount of sales support and training that should give you some tools to better yourself as a sale person.
Best Place to Work
Client Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTJune 10, 2017
I absolutely love working at Indeed! They really know how to keep a great work life balance and treat their employees really well! The training program they offer to new hires is amazing and well put together.

I recommend working here to anyone!
Fun Fast Pace sales environment
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJune 4, 2017
Starting out at $40K plus 15% commission and quarterly bonuses if targets are met is fantastic pay for a recent college grad. Average Age range was 22-27 so the environment was absolutely fun.

I left however because the cut throat sales environment wasn't for me. The managers spend allot of time training and developing you; but at the end of the day it's sales. If you are not strong enough to survive the pressure of hitting a quota, then I wouldn't recommend it.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
pressure sales
Great work vibe
Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 24, 2017
Having just started at Indeed about a month ago, I can only say great things so far. Everyone has been so welcoming and it's truly a fun, laid back work environment where everyone seems genuinely happy to be coming to work everyday. The atmosphere is extremely open and collaborative with open workspaces and no offices, however, there are plenty of comfortable more isolated spots to hang out if you need to get away and concentrate on something. The food is ridiculous, people are happy and the office is situated in probably the most gorgeous area of Austin. So far, nothing not to love!
Pros
Amazing benefits, competitive pay, collaborative work environment, supportive management
Good First Job out of College, but only that
Sr-Account Executive - Inside Sales (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAMay 19, 2017
The Good: Indeed is a great place if you are looking to learn sales and work in a fast paced ad tech environment. The culture is full of young college grads who bring lots of energy to the floor. Great product and decent office perks.

The Bad: If you are looking to be part of professional culture and learn from veteran sales people, I would recommend applying elsewhere. Be careful with recruiters mentioning video games, ping pong table and free lunches- it's mostly a front to attract young college grads who will accept lower pay. The glory days at Indeed have passed and you will find many reps who have been with indeed in the past year are barley making ends meat.

In addition, Management awards leadership positions based on performance. Many former top performing reps currently in management roles are ill equipped to manage a salesforce or lack the charisma that former leaders had in the San Mateo office. The product itself can be sold in many ways, which causes reps to lie their clients in order to scrape a few extra bucks out of them, and leadership is okay with that.
Pros
Great product, Great Sales Culture, Decent Perks
Cons
Awful commission structure, unprofessional environment, lack of transparency from management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indeed. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2