Indeed Employee Reviews

Great product, company with potential, terrible leadership in sales organization
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2013
The only thing that management cares about is the number of calls that you make everyday. They could care less if you are closing a lot of business or being creative to get to decision makers. Management's lack of leadership ability creates a terrible work environment for the sales reps and the turnover is horrendous. In the beginning of every quarter, you can expect at least 5-10 people to quit. Morale is extremely low for the sales reps, but the other other departments seem to be happy.

They promise you big things when you are interviewing, but the fact of the matter is that once you come on board as a sales rep with Indeed, you will be looking for a new job with the 6 months - 1 year. You will either be a disgruntled employee or they will force you out because of their aggressive quotas and micromanagement.

Overall sales projections seem to be totally false. Indeed was bought by a Japanese company based on these projections, and I am sure they are regretting how much they paid. It seems that this is why things have changed so much and they force a lot of people out. It cannot always be the sales reps fault. Eventually, you need to put the blame on the people who are "leading (managing??)" the sales efforts.

The people that were promoted to director internally are the people that have a bright future there. They are hard working and deserve to be where they are. Hiring Directors/Sr. Directors from outside organizations has proven to be a disaster (with a few exceptions). The great sales reps they have will soon leave the company due to a lack of direction. There is only
  more... so long that a sales rep can meet the requirements before they are fired.

Keep it up, Indeed.
Pros
you will work with great people that are hard working but disgruntled and become unmotivated, stocked fridge with a lot of food/beer, constant "happy hours" to mask the low morale
Cons
management, directors are there to micromanage and basically be "stat-checkers" (for lack of better terms), management brings no creative value to the company, sales reps do all of the work while getting belittled, one sr. director in particular has no idea what he is doing and should be fired
Glad it's over
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAAugust 8, 2013
I will start by saying that I am writing this review to help others, I am fortunate enough to have a good amount of savings going into this role but for those that aren’t prepared to take a financial hit beware and stay away. I am a Sales Professional who has been in industry for 10 years, what I was promised going in is nothing remotely close to what the actual role provides.

This job is risky, some who have weathered the storm have seen success but at the cost of monotony, and never knowing what will happen the next quarter.

Two questions to ask in the interview to get a better idea of what you’re getting into. What does the turnover look like, and how many Account Executives hit 90% of their quota. The honest answer should look like this, we have at least one person leave every week and about 50% of the employees succeed. Turnover is such an issue, Sales Directors can’t manage the business because more than half of their time is dedicated to interviews.

Most are super motivated to start but that quickly turns around as you get an understanding of the business. This is what you will face in a role as an Account Executive, you will work with a team where everyone hates what they do because the job is robotic, and unfruitful. Prospecting for good leads is impossible, everything that is worth your time is taken, people are fighting each other for prospects, just a sad and toxic environment. You are required to make 60+ calls a day which is easy until the second week where you realize you've called all of your prospects that have been called by old Account Executives at least
  more... 3 times.

Leaders don’t go through a formal training process, most companies spend 6+ months to breed leaders by giving them special projects and training to ensure that they are ready, at Indeed Sales Directors are the survivors those that made it past a year or two. They are sent to training for a week and then tasked to lead a team completely unprepared.
Pros
free snacks and beer to help you gain the indeed 15, indeed is great at hiring young talented people.
Cons
everything else
What's not to love about working for Indeed?
Client Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTSeptember 3, 2015
Culture is first and foremost at Indeed, which could be the biggest reason it is the #1 jobsite worldwide. Senior leadership does everything they can to make every employee happy and come to work excited. They are also HIGHLY visible every single day, including the CEO. Offices are open floor plans, so no corner offices for the senior leadership. They sit all over the building and amongst all of the different teams in their departments. Managers are highly experienced in the digital media/digital advertising field so you are learning from the best of the best in the industry.

Entry-level jobs are filled on personality and fit, which makes your coworkers unique and inspiring. Indeed's Training and Development team can (and will) teach you what you need to know to perform the job, but you have to bring personality and drive everyday to be great at it.

Indeed bombards you with perks and swag, are always looking to improve employee benefits, and just takes unbelievable care of their own in general. Promotions are everywhere, all over the US and the world, so the opportunities are endless. Lunch is provided every Wednesday, breakfast every Friday, with Thursday happy hours (also catered) sprinkled in a couple times a month. Wide assortment of snacks and drinks on all floors. This is a company with a big name right in the heart of Stamford that is growing stronger everyday, but that is still not enough to change its small company feel.

You will not regret applying for a job at Indeed.
Pros
Weekly lunches, happy hours, management, advancement opportunities
Make the Best of Your Situation
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTApril 23, 2014
I've read many of these reviews and the positive ones tend to be spot on. Truly Indeed is a great place to work.

As a growing organization they're constantly working on ways to improve the opportunities for it's account executives to succeed.

I think there was time where things were not so great at Indeed, high turnover, limited prospects and uninterested prospects. However all the hard work of Indeed's employees has really made a difference.

People aren't leaving like they used to nor are they being fired. Indeed has been providing new hires with the tools necessary to succeed.

The best part of doing well at Indeed is the generous compensation (yes you will make more than other entry level sales jobs, and yes you will double your salary) as long as you're hitting your quotas.

Being my first job out of college I didn't know what to expect and admit there were times I questioned my decision to join the organization. I've removed many of those doubts and continue to see more and more opportunities within the company to grow and continue to get paid.

If you're looking for a position that awards and recognizes success Indeed is definitely a place you should take a look at.

No I don't drink the kool-aid, no I'm not writing a fake review. Work hard, do well and you won't have much to complain about.
Pros
compensation, weekly catered lunches, happy hours, young energetic atmosphere, growth opportunities
Cons
hours (9-6), many successful executives waiting for promotions which will come as long as you continue to perform
Not as great as they say
Client Support (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTJanuary 7, 2016
Most of the reviews here are from people who are new or entry level, so they are probably looking at everything with "rose-colored glasses".

Indeed is growing exponentially, which is great. But to keep up with growth, they end up promoting people internally that are only qualified because they're friends with management. So the office has quickly turned into a sorority clique where friends promote friends. If you are very close with your manager on a personal level, you will do great! If not, you will not be supported and you will quickly find yourself looking for other opportunities. Indeed is much more political than they would have you believe.

Because these managers have no experience, they have unrealistic expectations of their employees. This sets people up for failure and creates a terrible work environment. I (and others) learned the hard way that you can't trust anything management says. I never knew where I stood and I suffered anxiety attacks on a regular basis. HR is also young and inexperienced, so they will not help you.

The benefits Indeed offers are great, but in the end, if management is terrible, talented people will leave. I truly wish I had more positive things to say and I hope that Indeed can turn things around. They need to stop giving career opportunities and special treatment only to their friends. They also need to invest a lot more training into their managers - HR and Senior leaders need to wise up as well.
Pros
Free lunches, benefits
Cons
Managers
No job security and over saturated market...do not apply
Account executive (Former Employee) –  Mountain viewMay 12, 2013
Lets see how long this stays up before they take it off

No job security

-I have been at this company for a few months now and have seen someone leave or get fired every week
- Horrible management leads to a atmosphere where it is not possible to be guided to hit sales quotas
- If you are not buddy buddy with upper management then you will never be promoted...even if your sales are better then your competition

Oversaturated market

- You will go through 1000 companies to find 1 that is not taken already by another sales rep. On average it takes veteran sales reps to find 1 company per hour. This leads to a low count of prospects=low income

- All day you have to watch your book of prospects due to other sales reps being allowed to take them if you
- do not attempt contact within 48 hours
-do not get a hold of anyone in 90 days
-do not close the deal in 6 months
- or management will decide it can be closed by someone else and assign the prospect to them without checking with you
This is all called Biz ruling .When you Biz rule someone else their feelings get hurt and they complain to management and you are asked to stop.

More then 3/4 of the sales reps do not make their quotas...truth.

Side note: management expects you to make 60 calls a day. This is counter productive due to the fact that 99% of sales reps spend a good hour out of their day making calls that lead to no where....on purpose
Pros
free food, beer and happy hours
Cons
look below

Comment – May 16, 2013

That sounds like sales to me. At any company...

It is an exciting time here at Indeed!
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAAugust 12, 2013
For the two plus years I have been at Indeed I have not only learned a great deal, but I have also been compensated for the hard work I put in. I was in sales for 5 years before landing my job here and what is asked of you as an Account Executive is standard of what you would find in any inside sales jobs: make calls, present demos, send proposals, and close business. However, the great work environment that has been created out here while doing these tasks is what makes Indeed stand out. I love the people I work with!
The hardest part of the job is the same as any sales job, having the mental endurance to keep positive after having a tough call with a Prospect or Client. However, if you work hard you will be compensated monetarily as well as recognized by your peers, leadership, and the company.
It is as easy as you get out of it what you put in. Indeed is not reinventing the wheel on the sales processes it practices, however we are reinventing the wheel by selling the best recruitment resource out there. We are growing quickly - conducting interviews on a very aggressive scale to keep up with our huge growth. It is an exciting time here at Indeed.
Pros
great sales experience & training, fun culture, work hard/play hard mentality, you 100% get what you put in!!
Cons
you 100% get what you put in.
Great way to enter and learn an industry, but not a place to stay too long
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTApril 7, 2014
Indeed is a good company. Its success and growth have been increasing dramatically - YOY numbers are pretty crazy. It is highly unlikely that you'll ever experience a start up gain such success again. It's pretty amazing to see, and honestly, pretty fun to be a part of.

That said, you have to be careful that you don't stop learning. The product is fairly one dimensional, so it's pretty easy to do so. If things stop getting challenging, you're staying there too long. For most people, this happens in about 1 and a half to 2 years. By then, you'll learn everything you can about the company. I say this as a caveat to anyone looking to apply. By all means do so, but be aware that you're not making a huge, long term career leap.

Indeed is a great company and worth applying to. It has a lot to offer to people with not much experience, but it's important to know that it won't take long for you to want to take the experience and move elsewhere.
Pros
pretty good compensation, co-workers become your friends, health care benefits are great, very generous quarterly bonuses
Cons
crm (homegrown) is rather buggy and has some flaws - as the company gains so many users, this continue to be a bigger issue. new positions/structural changes seem a little arbitrary.
Growing company with great resources and enthusiastic employees
Senior Account Executive, National Accounts (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 21, 2013
I feel very fortunate to be part of a company that is so quickly becoming the leader in online recruitment. In 3+ years I have experienced the expansion of employees/teams, offices, management and incentive programs. Not to mention competitive benefit programs, an ongoing training curriculum and career path assistance.

Additionally, the tools and reporting capabilities from our product team are second to none. The sales team is given excellent support from IT, Client Services, etc. I am continually impressed with the thought and care that goes into the materials that are rolled out both internally and to our clients.

With the recent addition of top-notch marketing leadership, I look forward to Indeed becoming a household name in the very near future. We've already come a long way very quickly!

With our worldwide growth, I do not know all my fellow employees as well as I did during Indeed's infancy. However, there are many who have been here for a long time and are very proud of the Indeed product and the strong relationships they have established with their co-workers. I know I am not alone in my excitement for what's to come at Indeed...

Cleveland rocks!!!

Comment – July 18, 2013

Cleveland does rock.

Not the best place to start or have a career
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJune 19, 2013
Beware! If you are conned into taking an offer from Indeed you will find yourself being placed into a magical time machine that will take you directly back to high school. Drama drama drama...blah blah blah. There also is no HR representative in this office leading to an anything goes/say anything type of work place-Management included.

Next is the lead generation....there is none. Good luck finding anything that isn't taken by other sales reps. Selling the product is like fishing with dynamite. Great product but there is no freakin fish left! You can not build a strong enough pipeline to hit your growing quotas. I'm serious...entire teams are not hitting there quota this quarter. If you do take an offer, be sure to negotiate a base pay that is able to provide for your family/lifestyle, because most likely you'll be paid that and maybe a little little more.

Overall...look elsewhere. Say no to the offer and go to a company that has better lead generation. I would of recommended it awhile ago when I first started but sadly I would not recommend working at Indeed.

The only thing good about this place is free Booz on Fridays and tons of free junk food.
Pros
lunches, beer and more beer
Cons
not the best place to build a career

Want to know more about Indeed?

Ask a question
Quietly brilliant, Indeed (sorry HTC)
Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 29, 2012
It's great to work at a company that firmly believes in making money by maximizing value for the customer. What's even better is that Indeed's value is helping people find work, and the customer is every job seeker in the entire world. I feel that our work helps people.

Indeed moves fast but doesn't fall prey to the latest fads. Decisions are made based on data and actual business impact, not ego or hype. If you're looking for a company that adopts technologies and strategies just because they're the new hotness, look elsewhere.

Indeed does more with less. Simplicity and focus drive the business. It shows in Indeed's growth strategy (no huge investments or splashy product launches) and product philosophy (be simple and effective while staying out of the user's way).

All my colleagues are very self-motivated. You never see any mass exodus at 5:00PM. People come to work when they want and leave when they want, and upper-management doesn't care. Everyone knows what is necessary to get things done.

I can't imagine a better place to work as long as you are more interested in meaningful, challenging, exciting work than pure compensation.
Pros
indeed makes me enjoy going to work
Cons
paychex 401k funds suck
Super fun working environment
Sales Intern (Current Employee) –  Mountain ViewNovember 21, 2012
A typical day is 8 hours long, but on Fridays, they are cut a little short for this weekly event called, "Beer and Share," when everyone in the office has a beer and shares their week.

During the day people are constantly making calls, hosting demos to their clients, and prospecting. Sometimes, you can see people in the kitchen having prospecting parties.

Many of the employees help each other out, and there is very little animosity in the workplace. It's a very positive space and very laid back.

For the most part, the moral is up, until the end of each quarter when pretty much everyone freaks out because they haven't met their quota yet. Once that starts happening, the stress and competition build. I personally think that this happening forces sales executives to work even harder to meet their goals.

The best part of being with Indeed is that you get to meet such great people and everyone there is so good at doing their job. We always learn from each other and give each other constructive criticism when needed.
Pros
free food and drinks to keep us awake, weekly beer and shares
Cons
difficult to advance in the company
Great place to work for motivated sales professionals!
Director of Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 2, 2014
If you are a sales professional or someone looking to get into sales, Indeed NYC is a great place to work! This is a company with a fun office culture where if you work hard and perform, you can make great money.

This is the type of sales job where you are expected to roll up your sleeves and work hard every day. The people who are willing to do that day in and day out are typically successful. There is an open floor plan where management sits on the sales floor with everyone else and are there to support you through out the day.

Leadership has really done a great job of building a fun, competitive, hard working office culture where everyone typically likes each other. Like any sales job, it can be challenging and is not for the meek.

If you are looking for an opportunity to work for an industry leader, sell a great product, and make good money then I would recommend Indeed NYC.
Pros
company culture, earnings potential, office happy hours, best product on the market, sales leadership, opportunity for growth
Cons
cannot be afraid of hard work
Salesperson Beware
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTMarch 25, 2014
I worked here a few years back so I can only imagine things have gotten progressively worse for inside sales reps. If you're looking for a job right out of college and you're absolutely desperate (as I was) then go for it. But know that this job has the ability to make you never want to be a salesperson again.

- Don't trust HR when they say compensation is going to be double your pay check. I've read on Glass Door that reps now ask for hourly wages due to the extra time required to prospect.
- This is a 'churn and burn' culture for Account Execs, they do not value sales reps as long term investments. You will be trained for a couple weeks and then thrown to the world of cold calling in a saturated marketplace
- Indeed is now a household name, good luck finding prospects that the previous 1000+reps have been harassing over the past 5 years
- Companies like indeed are fantastic to work for in their first 3-5 years but that's long gone
- Management is awful so if you're a rookie, you're on your own.

Glass Half Full - you'll like the young culture, company happy hours, etc.
Great place to start
Sales Intern (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTAugust 1, 2013
I interned at Indeed this past summer and found it to be quite the enjoyable, yet educational experience.

The atmosphere there is amazing and everyone is very friendly. I had a hard time adjusting at first, but soon found a new calling in the sales world.

I learned so much that I am very grateful for. The only complaint I have is that I think I wasn't confident enough to start cold calling on my own. I think they should have spent more time preparing the interns for that work. They had us practice the sales pitch over and over and over, but never once did we have practice with a cold call, that was more of a "sink or swim" learning method.

In the end, everything turned out great. Love the company, and product. I've been spreading the word ever since I accepted the position. Definitely recommend!
Pros
great workplace, free snacks and beverages every day, free breakfast on fridays. occasional free lunch. competitive. challenging
Cons
long days
Work hard and you will do well
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTJuly 19, 2013
An unbelievable place to start and build a career. Working for Indeed has pushed me to work harder than I ever have in my life. Like any sales job you will experience your ups and downs however, Indeed offers a truly unique opportunity for all their employees.

-Their growth within the market is unprecedented
-Simply put, our product saves our clients money.
-Management is demanding however, internal promotions almost guarantees your boss has not only done your job before but been one of the top performers for the company.
-The compensation structure is the best in the industry.

My favorite aspect of Indeed is the entrepreneurial culture it promotes. Hard work is rewarded and you are given the freedom to sell the product in an independent manner.
Pros
compensation, atmosphere, selling a product that works
Cons
2 quota situation consistently puts your book of business at risk
Good Atmosphere To Work In
Sales Intern (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMay 29, 2012
I really enjoy the atmosphere at Indeed. Everyone is very friendly with their coworkers and there is a great sense of camaraderie between everyone. All of the sales people, while they are competing against each other for clients, really want their friends and coworkers to do well too, which leads to a lot of helping hands between the workers.

As an intern, my job was to help generate sales leads by finding companies with jobs listed on their website that were not already being worked by a sales person at Indeed. As I got further into my internship, I began prospecting for my own clients and calling them to pitch Indeed and our product to different companies, drawing in more business to Indeed. The hardest part, which to me was also the most enjoyable, was the cold-calling clients and speaking with the company representatives. All in all, a very fun place to work.
Great place to learn and advance
Manager, Client Services (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2013
Working at Indeed, this is the first time I'm actually excited on my commute in the morning. Management is transparent and shares high-level goals and company changes; they're accessible, and want to see employees succeed. Feedback from managers is a balance of constructive criticism and insight into your strengths, and provides clear direction on how to continue to develop.

My team is motivated and fun - they take pride in their work, and collaborate together. I learn from them, and continue to be impressed by the ways they challenge themselves to improve their skills and knowledge. Even though we've outgrown the "start-up" label, the culture is still entrepreneurial and promotes integrity.

I feel trusted to make decisions, and help change the business for the better.
Pros
fun, entrepreneurial culture; strong management
Great experience, learned a lot!
Client Service Intern (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTFebruary 11, 2016
As a summer intern, I got to work on the client services team along with 20 other interns. The team I was placed on delegated me real work to help them with. Having to balance the work given to me could be difficult at times for at the same time, I had to stay coordinated with the other interns in order to work on our group project. However, everyone I worked with was willing to help and very friendly. The company culture is wonderful, the employees generally seem happy to be working there! I think the energy of the environment drove everyone to do their best, at least for me it did! I learned how to work and prioritze multiple tasks at a time. I also was able to improve my research and presentation skills.
Pros
Company Culture, Free Snacks & Drinks, Experience
I HELP PEOPLE GET JOBS
Director, Client Services (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 31, 2013
Indeed is an amazingly successful company because of its fantastic team and because Indeed.com is a great tool. It really works and is blowing away the competition!

Indeed's growth dwarfs other employers and with growth comes opportunity. New needs and responsibilities are constantly arising and these opportunities are readily assigned based on meritocracy, which makes Indeed a fantastic place to fast-track your career.

Most importantly, the work we are doing is helping people to get the job of their dreams. At the end of the day, it's work you can truly feel good about. Indeed is the place to be for smart and driven client services professionals!
Pros
opportunity
Cons
i wish i started here sooner!

4.5