Independence Blue Cross

Independence Blue Cross Employee Reviews

Very busy work environment.
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 27, 2015
Pros: Great compensation
Cons: Short breaks and no sick time available. Must use your vacation time as your sick time.
I have learned so much working at Independence Blue Cross about health insurance. A typical day at work consist of answering all phone calls in a timely and professional matter.Providing members with great customer service, and resolving each call the first time around.

I have learned about different types of insurance plans. Like the difference between an HMO and a PPO plans and all that applies to them. I have learned about preventive services, and what health care reform offers. I have learned about procedure codes, how to read and explain health benefits and claims. I have gained so much knowledge about the health care system.

My co-workers are great, very helpful, and team oriented.

Hardest part of my job is when I can't resolve a member's problem or concern. I'm the kind of person that I like to be able to help people, and when I can't it bothers me and I wish I could do more to help the member.

And the most enjoyable part of my job is when I have been able to make a customer/ member happy. Especially the senior citizens who sometimes have no one to help them.
Productive Place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 22, 2015
Pros: Providing excellnt customer service
Cons: temporary assisgnment
I learned the differences about insurance plans, providing an explanation of benefits to the clients was enjoyable. Assisting clients was enjoyable and a great learning experience
Productive and Good Environment
Clerk-Fulfillment (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 18, 2015
This is a dependable environment. Always plenty of work to complete that will keep you busy. Nothing but professional there thats very influential.
Highly Political
Senior Desktop Support Analyst (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 13, 2015
Pros: Can be intereting
Cons: Punishment is part of the culture
Don't mess with people that have been there along time. Challenging, but there are many people there that don't know what they are doing
Enjoyed the work. Job security an issue.
Sr.Business System Analyst (Former Employee), PhiladelphiaMay 12, 2015
As a contractor when the company decides to down size the contractors are the first to be let go. Job security not solid. However employees were a pleasure to work with.
Review Summary of Independence Blue Cross
Senior Administrative Assistant (Contractor) (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 12, 2015
As a Sr. Administrative Assistant (contractor), I enjoy working for Independence Blue Cross.

I work directly work for the Director of Information Delivery Services, providing PowerPoint presentations, scheduling internal/external meetings, travel arrangements and expense reports, as requested.

Manage Onboarding of all new contractors/associates. Onboard approximately 60 contractors and associates per month which includes access, setup and hardware/software acquisition within a 14-day turn around.
Once One of the Best Places to Work
Manager (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 9, 2015
Pros: Prior to 2009 great benefits, great people, great Leadership Teams
Cons: After 2010 Everything changed
I spent the greater part of my career with this organization. The culture was more inviting then and associates felt valued. A major culture shift has occurred and the same loyalty to its associates and customers has no longer exists.
Productive and focused
IT Consultant (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 8, 2015
 9+ years of total IT experience in software application development with expert level knowledge in developing enterprise class distributed software systems under J2EE. Proficient in Object Oriented Analysis and Design.
 A dynamic, innovative, self-starter Software Professional with highly effective interpersonal and communication style
 About 2+ years of experience in working as a Technical lead in mid-size engagements.
 Involved in Application Design, Framework Design, User Interface Design and Coding. Well versed with all the phases of System Life Cycle namely Analysis, Design, Development and Implementation.
 Significantly contributed towards the study of improving application performance in the cloud infrastructure. Implemented infrastructure/web/app server tuning to horizontally scale the application.
Good Job to have
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 8, 2015
Cons: management
Taking calls from members assisting with benefits, claims and billing in both English and Spanish. Translating summary of benefits from English to Spanish for our Spanish speaking members.
incentives and great database information to make job easier
Provider-Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 30, 2015
Pros: room for advancement
Cons: some favoritism
high call volume, quoting benefits, providing medical policy information, responsibility recognizing trends and communication with insurance companies and colleagues who are very helpful to one another especially when it came to extensive claim follow up constant meetings and educations and trainings, plenty room for advancement. plenty responsibility. The constant evolution of healthcare and adhering to daily changes and service alerts. enjoyable recognition.
Independence Cross Blue cares about everyone associate by compensating their work effords. They show appreciation by providing each associate a yearly
Precertification Specialist (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 24, 2015
Pros: Bonous
Under the direction of a licensed health professional, the Precertification Specialist
process surgical procedures and medical service pre-certifications in accordance with
established corporate guidelines and in compliance with the state and federal regulations
Ancillary Precertification Process for skilled nursing home visits, hospice, and duralable medical equipment. Pharmacy authorizations.

My favorite part of my day is assisting providers and members. Make sure they are very satisfied before the call ends. Our goal as a Precert Specialist is to make sure our customers feel comfortable.

I am a people person and team player. Therefore, my job is not hard at all. Watching the computer all day can be a strain at times but, I have adjusted for the past 17 years.

I have a good relationship with my co-workers. Mostly on a professional level. Although, we work on the phones all day I make myself available to help. Management is very knowledgeable. Caring about the welfare of the specialist and what is best for the department.
Work-Life Balance & Opportunity!
Sales Associate Account Executive (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 21, 2015
Pros: Encouraged professional and personal growth, offers work-life balance.
Cons: N/A
Excellent company that encourages employees to grow personally and professionally. Offers work-life balance, and lots of opportunities to move around within the company.
Member Service Supervisor - Traditional Benefits (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 15, 2015
Pros: Great experience, great systems, great advancement and excellent training.
Cons: The location at the time based on where I lived
My typical day was fast pace. During that time, the computer systems was efficient which promoted an effective way to do the job.

On-going training took place for the management team which was done on and off-site.
Interesting
Claims Payment Adjuster (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 15, 2015
Nice place to work love the people I work with. Very good in training you for the job. Some days can be very hectic and some days can be easy going. I've learned a lot at Independence Blue Cross. The training at the job made your job easier.
Temp
TRIAGE SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 14, 2015
A typical day at work was answering incoming calls and transferring them to proper departments and replied to emails. The hardest part of the job was lack of security and best part was good management.
great place for advancement opportunites
Provider Claims A/R Specialist (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 4, 2015
Pros: great place for advancement opportunites
Cons: Very Corporate!
great place to work. many people start from the bottom and with the right work ethic, they advance very quickly. there are many opportunities for advancement and for personal development and growth
Management very unprofessional
Billing Representative (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 1, 2015
Pros: excellent team members
Cons: one 15min breaks for 10 hour days and a power trip supervisor
I worked 10 hour days with a 30 min lunch and one 15 min break during my time there I learned a lot went numerous training my supervisor was very young and because she did not like me made my time there very miserable but my co workers I loved them it was like a family I would have to say the hardest part of my job was dealing with my supervisor, the most enjoyable part was learning and working with my co workers and other supervisors that was superb and recognized my hard work and time that I devoted to the company.
Not that bad
Premier Account Specialist (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 31, 2015
Pros: room for advancement, fair compensation
Cons: random mandatory overtime, random mandatory holidays
Not a bad place to work. There are many pro's and con's but I don't know many places that don't have a healthy balance of both. In short, it could be better, but it could definitely be worse.
Great Place to Work - Great People, Great Work
Independent Consultant - Program Manager (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 31, 2015
I worked for IBC as a long time employee and came back to consult for them and in both instances it was a learning, and rewarding experience.
Overall a great company
Provider Services Claim Specialist (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 26, 2015
Pros: You meet great people, flexible work schedule, everyone works well together for the most part, benefits are great.
Cons: Office locations switched quite often
I worked for Independence Blue Cross for a total of 17 years before the company had to downsize in January 2014. Great place to work, professional atmosphere.

A typical day at work would be primarily focusing on any unresolved issues from the prior day as well as the current day's work load. I've learned to balance my work as it pertains to prioritizing. The Management Team I worked for was awesome and they didn't hesitate to jump in and help, my co-workers were awesome as well, everyone may not have agreed on some work related issues; however, we would all pull it together in the end.

The hardest part of my job was trying to obtain pertinent information form the Members Home Plan, without this information my job function was at a stand still until the Home Plan released the information.

The Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to process the claims from front end to the back without any issues arising which ultimately resulted in a high volume of claims being processed on that particular day.

1 2 3 4 5

About Independence Blue Cross

Independence Blue Cross (IBC) provides health insurance and related services to some 2.2 million members in southeastern Pennsylvania – Read more

Independence Blue Cross Salaries