Independence University Employee Reviews

Productive and changing environment.
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Great leadership.
Cons: No overtime
Two years into Independence University, there was a merger with a sister school, Stevens Henager College. That was my first time experiencing a merge. There were very many changes to work processes and procedures, but I realized that I liked the change. It felt smoother and more efficient.
It could be better, it could be worse.
Assistant to the Director Alliances (Former Employee), MurrayJune 29, 2015
Pros: Nice atmosphere
Cons: poor planning, communication, direction, and the business processes were archaic
IU management were generally friendly but there was rarely clear direction or motivation. I learned many things there, but I felt limited and I ultimately concluded that I had to leave to accomplish my career goals.
Independence University
Associate Director of Admissions (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 24, 2015
Plus, about working at Independence University is that you get to work remote from home. Negative side is the systems in which you work with.
It is a nice place to work
Admissions Consultant (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 10, 2015
Pros: Remote, and Benefits, Promotions
Cons: Management
I would rate it as 3 stars or less. You have the option to work remote if needed. You can make your own schedule. I learned how to multi task, and how to deal with different personalities. The hardest part is keeping the students engaged. The environment and the co workers are great
60k work from home is great but not at all secure
Admissions Consultant - Team Lead (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 1, 2015
Pros: work from home, salary
Cons: insecure job, terrible management
fire people on a whim, management are paper pushers, 6 per month is often unrealistic very for very good people, been in the industry for 10 plus years and always worry about losing my job
Great pay, terrible management
Admissions Consultant (Former Employee), PhoenixMay 26, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: everything!
A typical day at work includes 200-300 phone calls, about 3 interviews a day, and maybe one signed enrollment agreement if you're lucky. Management is terrible. Everyone is out for themselves with zero true training. You work on a team, but there's zero team morale or support. I would not recommend this job to anyone. Turnover rate is ridiculous. Save every check if you take this position. You'll need it once you're unemployed.
Great Company
Student Advisor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 27, 2015
Pros: great benefits. great enviornment.
Cons: That I dont work there any more
I loved working for this company, I was discharged due to a technicality. but one of the best the companies hands down I have ever worked for.
Hard to Sleep at Night
Senior Finance Planner (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 20, 2015
Holding a finance position for this university makes it hard to sleep at night. You are knowingly registering students for up to $138000 in federal loans that you know they cannot repay in addition to a private loan that they have to begin repayment on while they are in school and will pay for years after graduation.
Education Business
Admissions Consultant (Current Employee), Phoenix AZFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: great work environment
Cons: not enough leads to make goal
Great place to work. The choice to work from home or office is an added benefit. They are very supportive in getting you to advance in promotion.
Stressful but overall great
Student Advisor (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 9, 2015
As a Student Advisor, you help students get passed their first class when they first enroll in school. You'll have about 100 students for 4 weeks, then get a new set of about 100 students when the next new class begins. You monitor student's homework and make sure they understand what to do. It is great to be able to answer questions and know how to help students. However, sometimes the job can get stressful.
Committed to excellence
Associate Dean- Health Information Management (Current Employee), OnlineNovember 18, 2014
Pros: very professional place to work, very impressed withtheir committment to excellence.
Cons: would appreciate a bit more salary
Excellent place to work committed to excellence and care greatly about providing an excellent experience to students. Also, they put tremendous energy into finding placement for the students one they graduate, ensuring their on-going success. They are very focused on ensuring that the instructors are suitable to provide an excellent education to students and provide on-going training to the staff.
Excellent opportunity
Instructor (Current Employee), OnlineOctober 11, 2014
I'm grateful to work here, and I support the Stevens Henager company.
Stay far far away from Independent University
Former Admissions (Former Employee), At HomeSeptember 19, 2014
Pros: remote
Cons: feel like scum at the end of the day
"Smiling and Dialing" that's what they say! Anyone giving this company more than 1 star is full of it! This is a telemarketing position! Making 300-700 "cold calls" to people that submitted their info online for what they thought was a job post not knowing or not reading the fine print at the bottom of the screen that sells their info to for profit University scams like this one! Who in there right mind would spend 74k on a bachelor degree! Especially from a company that is not regionally accredited meaning NO these credits will not transfer to any state college or university! Stay far far away from IU!
Just College America under a different name
paper pushing babysitter (Former Employee), DenverSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
Stay as far away from this place as possible. They soon will close their doors just like Anthem and Corinthians. This place is filled with incompetent management. Low pay. Backstabbing, gossiping, the list goes on.
Not a long term company
Financial Planner (Former Employee), Murray, UTJune 30, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: management, job security, future of the company
They demand a large amount of your time and aren't a family friendly company. They play favorites so if you want to succeed there, I hope you enjoy brown nosing. Management will take your ideas and present them as their own and take credit. People are advanced based on how well they brown nose, not how qualified they are. There is ZERO job security there and you are monitored on everything. Your emails, chats and web history will not only be monitored but shared amongst other employee's. Their system is so messed up that some people get a ton of work while others get zero which slowly pushes them out the door. This company is not worth the stress they cause.
Working Online
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMay 14, 2014
Pros: working from home
My tipical day includes answering emails from peer professors, administrators, and students. I grade daily assignments, weekly posts, and term papers. I enjoy working with students who firmly believe they have a second chance at learning, due to health, financial, or other obligations that hinder higher education goals.
Fair and balanced employer
Remote Admissions Consultant (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: good training available for position
Cons: worked on holidays to enroll students
This university seems very fair and balanced to their employees. They make sure all employees know what goals to reach, and they did their best to assist the admissions consultants in reaching the goals.
Always dialing
Admissions Consultant (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZDecember 17, 2013
Pros: relaxed and sitting all day
Cons: you need to make your numbers and dials
You get your own cubicle and you run your own business. Enrolling students, and making sure they log in 4 times during the first week of school.
A Typical Day at Independence University
Admissions Consultant (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZDecember 10, 2013
Pros: great pay, great coworkers, and decent benefits for me and my family
Cons: lack of structure, leadership and training
A typical day at Independence University is all about the grind. By the grind I refer to the process of trying to find new students. This job is all about work ethic. In order for you to be successful you must stay focused at your desk and continue to call until you find a potential candidate through the dialer. This can get pretty repetitive, however there are many things you can do to try and find new students. While on the dialer you can have email and text blitz, to try and maximize your potential for enrollments.

Throughout my employment I have learned many things. The most important is never give up. This position can get overwhelming when you are not getting the results you want right away. However by being persistent, having a good attitude, not giving up and continuing to work I have surprised myself over and over. Never giving up has helped me meet or exceed my monthly expectations.

Management has been a bit of a challenge with this new and growing school. Most of my managers have been great as far as people, but lack in actual employee management skills. I've had 4 different managers since I started and they all have different management techniques. There is no real sense of structure and caller feedback. There are no real improvement plans for struggling employees and this leads to a lot of job security issues.

One of the best things about Independence University is the employees! My coworkers were awesome! We had a great sense of comradery and trust.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with situations that are out of my control. Working in admissions I work – more... with a passion for what I do and I truly believe in the power of education. I build professional relationships with my students, but I have to live with the fact that for various reasons a student may decide to stop the enrollment process. This is very difficult to deal with when I have done everything to clear this student to start and all of the sudden they become unresponsive or change their mind about starting classes.

The most rewarding part of the job is the ability to change someone's life in a positive way. Many of my students that I deal with are in very difficult situations and are not happy with where they are. It is the best feeling to help someone start a journey that will absolutely impact and change their life for the better. building this type of professional relationship with my students has to be the most rewarding part. It doesn't only change them but I learn from my students as well. – less
Flexible Schedule
Admissions Representative (Former Employee), UtahNovember 30, 2013
Schedule is extremely flexible, and you can work on your own. There is no room for growth.