Independence University

Independence University Employer Reviews

Excellent opportunity
Instructor (Current Employee), OnlineOctober 11, 2014
I'm grateful to work here, and I support the Stevens Henager company.
Stay far far away from Independent University
Former Admissions (Former Employee), At HomeSeptember 19, 2014
Pros: remote
Cons: feel like scum at the end of the day
"Smiling and Dialing" that's what they say! Anyone giving this company more than 1 star is full of it! This is a telemarketing position! Making 300-700 "cold calls" to people that submitted their info online for what they thought was a job post not knowing or not reading the fine print at the bottom of the screen that sells their info to for profit – more... University scams like this one! Who in there right mind would spend 74k on a bachelor degree! Especially from a company that is not regionally accredited meaning NO these credits will not transfer to any state college or university! Stay far far away from IU! – less
Just College America under a different name
paper pushing babysitter (Former Employee), DenverSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
Stay as far away from this place as possible. They soon will close their doors just like Anthem and Corinthians. This place is filled with incompetent management. Low pay. Backstabbing, gossiping, the list goes on.
Not a long term company
Financial Planner (Former Employee), Murray, UTJune 30, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: management, job security, future of the company
They demand a large amount of your time and aren't a family friendly company. They play favorites so if you want to succeed there, I hope you enjoy brown nosing. Management will take your ideas and present them as their own and take credit. People are advanced based on how well they brown nose, not how qualified they are. There is ZERO job security – more... there and you are monitored on everything. Your emails, chats and web history will not only be monitored but shared amongst other employee's. Their system is so messed up that some people get a ton of work while others get zero which slowly pushes them out the door. This company is not worth the stress they cause. – less
Working Online
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMay 14, 2014
Pros: working from home
My tipical day includes answering emails from peer professors, administrators, and students. I grade daily assignments, weekly posts, and term papers. I enjoy working with students who firmly believe they have a second chance at learning, due to health, financial, or other obligations that hinder higher education goals.
Fair and balanced employer
Remote Admissions Consultant (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: good training available for position
Cons: worked on holidays to enroll students
This university seems very fair and balanced to their employees. They make sure all employees know what goals to reach, and they did their best to assist the admissions consultants in reaching the goals.
Always dialing
Admissions Consultant (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZDecember 17, 2013
Pros: relaxed and sitting all day
Cons: you need to make your numbers and dials
You get your own cubicle and you run your own business. Enrolling students, and making sure they log in 4 times during the first week of school.
A Typical Day at Independence University
Admissions Consultant (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZDecember 10, 2013
Pros: great pay, great coworkers, and decent benefits for me and my family
Cons: lack of structure, leadership and training
A typical day at Independence University is all about the grind. By the grind I refer to the process of trying to find new students. This job is all about work ethic. In order for you to be successful you must stay focused at your desk and continue to call until you find a potential candidate through the dialer. This can get pretty repetitive, however – more... there are many things you can do to try and find new students. While on the dialer you can have email and text blitz, to try and maximize your potential for enrollments.

Throughout my employment I have learned many things. The most important is never give up. This position can get overwhelming when you are not getting the results you want right away. However by being persistent, having a good attitude, not giving up and continuing to work I have surprised myself over and over. Never giving up has helped me meet or exceed my monthly expectations.

Management has been a bit of a challenge with this new and growing school. Most of my managers have been great as far as people, but lack in actual employee management skills. I've had 4 different managers since I started and they all have different management techniques. There is no real sense of structure and caller feedback. There are no real improvement plans for struggling employees and this leads to a lot of job security issues.

One of the best things about Independence University is the employees! My coworkers were awesome! We had a great sense of comradery and trust.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with situations that are out of my control. Working in admissions I work with a passion for what I do and I truly believe in the power of education. I build professional relationships with my students, but I have to live with the fact that for various reasons a student may decide to stop the enrollment process. This is very difficult to deal with when I have done everything to clear this student to start and all of the sudden they become unresponsive or change their mind about starting classes.

The most rewarding part of the job is the ability to change someone's life in a positive way. Many of my students that I deal with are in very difficult situations and are not happy with where they are. It is the best feeling to help someone start a journey that will absolutely impact and change their life for the better. building this type of professional relationship with my students has to be the most rewarding part. It doesn't only change them but I learn from my students as well. – less
Flexible Schedule
Admissions Representative (Former Employee), UtahNovember 30, 2013
Schedule is extremely flexible, and you can work on your own. There is no room for growth.
Growing oranization
Director of Admissions (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZNovember 25, 2013
Pros: ability to advance
Cons: still working out hr bugs
It is a small school well on its way to becoming a large one. The management staff is young and the organization occasionally gets ahead of itself, Normal growing pains.
Long hrs, lots of pressure, little reward
Financial Planner (Current Employee), salt lake cityNovember 5, 2013
Pros: pressure, politics
Cons: salary
You can work your tail off for this company and unless you are one of the in crowd your work will not be recognised.
Allows creativity, professional growth, excellent communication with staff
Online Instructor (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTOctober 22, 2013
Pros: online, flexibility
It is an online environment that allows flexibility in teaching technique. I continously learn new skills and practices in relation to instruction. My co-workers are great and demonstrate excellent communication skills. The hardest part of the job is saying goodbye to the students at the end of a MOD. The most enjoyable part is seeing the students move – more... on. : ) – less
Recommended place to work to establish a good work history
Student Financial Services Advisor (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 22, 2013
Pros: excellent place to work
Cons: difficult to move up
Great work life balance; good trainings; focus on employee retention and overall satisfaction
Productive and fun, if you are good at sales.
Admissions Consultant (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 3, 2013
Pros: free coffee
Cons: terrible benefits, bad communication between management and staff
A-typical sales job, heavily measured on numbers. Most people don't last after 6 months.
Friendly atmosphere
Admissions Consultant/Financial Liaison (Former Employee), Salt Lake CityAugust 6, 2012
Pros: 8-5 working hours
Cons: healthcare and management
Management is horrible and there are few opportunities for advancement. The compensation is decent and the benefits could be better.
I enjoy traveling in Michigan to eveluate feature Respiratory Therapy students. I enjoy seeing the differences in practices.
Clinical Evaluator (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, Utah 84107July 8, 2012
Pros: i get to pick the day i do the evaluations around my schedule.
Cons: i only get to do this job as needed.
A typical day is up early and on the road enjoying the suroundings. When meeting adminastrative staff I always find people pleasent and enjoy grate conversation learning new things happening in management and how the work loads vary from reagion to reagion. The hardest part about this job would have to be when I have to give a low score to someone I – more... know has the knowledge and has not demostrated it to me. The most enjoyable part of this job is after 3 to 4 weeks after the students have taken their boards and email me to let me know they passed. :) – less