Independent Capital Management, Inc.

Independent Capital Management, Inc. Employee Reviews

Endless Opportunities
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  South Pasadena, CASeptember 5, 2017
The mentorship you have at ICM is very personable and professional. The management is focused on developing leaders. ICM stresses the importance of building a career as opposed to working a job.
The typical day at work consists of reviewing important products, calling existing/potential clients, and attending appointments. The workplace culture is one that is based on strong communication skills because it's your future you control how fast you grow.
Pros
Benefits, opportunities, and making a REAL difference in peoples lives.
Cons
Sometimes clients don't listen to our recommendations.
Displeased with Company
Registered Investment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 29, 2017
They want you to learn a set script that is over 25 pages long to convey to each customer. They really have only one target for keeping the job and that is a sales target for insurance sold. They mention that the job is diversified with an investment side to it, but you quickly learn that what there is just designed for mutual funds and nothing else. The whole time they want you concentrating and getting insurance sold.
Pros
Benefits and 401k plan
Cons
Sales script, and only real product they want you to sell is insurance.
Great work environment, solid mentorship and coaching, career advancement potential
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 8, 2017
I really enjoy working at ICM because of my managers, coworkers and the ability to set my own schedule. The management is always willing to help you grow and advance in your career. I like the autonomy my job gives me, but the help when I need it. I've learned how to utilize my strengths and knowledge of finances to improve my clients' financial situations. It does take hard work, especially as you are starting out in this industry. However, hard work pays off if you stick with it and take advice from veterans in the company.
Pros
training and help from management, work environment, ability to grow your own business
Cons
Sometimes long hours, no paid time off
Cutthroat and Completely Unhappy
FINANCIAL ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 26, 2017
Straight commission. Very difficult working environment with very little support. You will basically have to scam all of your friends and family in order to survive.
Productive and Enjoyable Workplace
Financial Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  South Pasadena, CAOctober 3, 2016
A typical day at work was focused solely on cold-calling high net worth individuals and offering financial products and services to them. As a result, I learned how to memorize scripts and sell products to others on a daily basis.

The company's management was very supportive about helping me reach my goals. My direct supervisor became my mentor and provided me with training so that I can improve my speaking and sales skills. My co-workers included both experienced and inexperienced salesman. We helped each other improve our sales skills.

The hardest part of the job was marketing the company's products and services at convention centers. The most enjoyable part of the job was marketing the company’s products and services to prospective customers at the office.
It's ok
Financial Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 17, 2016
There is not much I can say about this company. The work that I did there was very cut and dry as a typical sales job. I am looking for other opportunities.
For those who are entrepreneurs and business minded
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  South Pasadena, CAAugust 9, 2016
Wonderful company
Independent, not tied to one product
Unlimited income potential
Great training
You are rewarded for your hard work
Bonus opportunities
If you like to push yourself this place is for you
Variety within the job
Never a dull moment
It is a great feeling to be able to help people build a solid financial plan, so that they can make money, save money, protect it, and pass it to their beneficiaries.
Pros
A lot
Cons
If you don't like to work hard and get rewarded for it, then this is not for you
A Place for Entrepreneurs
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  South Pasadena, CAAugust 9, 2016
When I began at the office I was immediately greeted with a comfortable and professional working atmosphere. What really struck me the most was the quality of the people who were working around me and how much liberty there was given to us as employees to make our work our own. Throughout the training and studying portions of the work education we were constantly given unique opportunities to grow our industry knowledge and witness some of more experienced employees at work.

The company structure is solid and provides a very visible ladder towards success. The incentives for hard workers are top notch and it is a great place to work if you want to see your hard work rewarded. The nature of the work is challenging yet rewarding and everyone at the office works equally as hard and are very supportive of each other. Each member of the staff is very driven, intelligent, focused towards the goal of really meeting our clients financial needs and goals.

The hardest part of the work is probably the learning curve upon entry into the field. There are many licenses and several weeks needed to train a new rep which goes without any initial pay, but all study fees are reimbursed so that balances out.

The best part of the work is that initiative and hard work are rewarded through improved performance. Hard workers are welcomed with open arms. As long as a person commits themselves to working hard and learning as much as they can on a daily basis, this can be an amazing company to work at.
Pros
Great benefits, Incentives, and a Strong Corporate structure
Cons
High learning curve and initial costs and licensing
Financial Advisor for 3 months and already producing!
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  South Pasadena, CAMay 31, 2016
I joined ICM based on a personal referral earlier this year. The interview process was swift and efficient, as was the onboarding. The Corporate and South Pasadena Office have provided me with all of the resources I need to do my job effectively. A very clear expectation was set from day 1 of what my job responsibilities would be, along with the explanation of what benefits were available.
Pros
Interview process was swift and efficient, Clear expectation was set from day 1, I was able to begin producing within first 60 days on the job.
Cons
None. The ICM team has equipped me with all the necessary resources to perform at an optimal level.
A Satisfactory Place to Work
Financial Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CASeptember 29, 2015
• Cold-called high net worth individuals and offered financial services.
• Marketed the company’s services to prospective customers at convention centers.

Want to know more about Independent Capital Management, Inc.?

Ask a question
Help clients meet current and future financial goals
Senior District Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 3, 2015
I most enjoyed working with clients. Every relationship is a challenge-. They all have assets and goals although they may not understand them My job is to spread out the available assets to best meet the goals and to make sure the client understands the plan.

The least liked part of the job is the need to continually seek new clients.

This was also the only position I have ever held in which I was expected to pay for the right to work. Lots of fees and licenses are required.
Pros
Flexible schedule, Good training, Highly Ethical
Cons
Commission only
Excellent opportunity to grow a business and become independent
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAMarch 4, 2015
ICM has an excellent business model based upon being independent. Being non-proprietary allows you to truly offer what is in the best interest of the client. In addition, the relationships you build with your clients are very rewarding. I have been with the company for 8 years now and have grown professionally and personally in ways you can not working for someone else. The Torrance office of ICM have excellent managers who have made my career go to the next level!
Pros
Unlimited earning potential. Highly developed business and personal skills. Excellent culture.
Cons
You must have grit, determination and the mindset of an entrepreneur.
not reliable
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Beverly Hills, CAFebruary 17, 2015
don't get paid on time, expect too much extra work from you and don't even get paid for it, no salary, commission only, must work with warm market
Building your own business!
Rep (Current Employee) –  TorranceFebruary 10, 2015
I have been with ICM for over 6 years now and it has been an exciting transition. Helping people with their financial concerns is quite rewarding. Another great aspect about working at ICM is the flexibility in hours. I actually can run an errand during the week instead of the weekend. Don't get me wrong, it takes hard work to become successful. As long as you do what the manager tells you, you have a very good chance to succeed.
Pros
Helping people and flexibility
Cons
Hard work
Become a financial advisor here!
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 12, 2015
Independent Capital Management (ICM) is a great place to start your career as a financial advisor. The management team is extremely helpful and gives you all of the proper guidance in order to make you successful. Some of the great aspects about working here are: your schedule is completely flexible because you work on your own time. The compensation structure is generous and there are many incentives for production such as bonuses and company trips. ICM takes a team approach when analyzing cases which helps in creating comprehensive solutions for clients . ICM is an independent firm which means there is no proprietary agenda. This gives the advisors an ethical advantage because there is no conflict of interest with the clients. ICM is a full-service financial firm so advisors can help with any client's financial needs. There is opportunity to grow your career because the objective of management is to guide advisors into becoming a manager.
Financial Advisor Position
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 9, 2015
Great place to start your career in finance. Compensation is great and its independent status ensures an ethical advantage.
Pros
Excellent training program that equips you with the tools necessary to succeed in a sales job.
Cons
Lots of calling and dedication of time.
Rewarding work experience!
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 9, 2015
What I like most about ICM is that they offer you a career. Many people switch jobs a few times in their working career, but many employees have been here since they graduated college. I personally expect to be here long-term and continue to build my book of business.

Here at ICM, your success is directly correlated to the amount of work you put in. In that sense, you get to decide how successful you are. As you can imagine, there is a lot of growth potential and there is no limit to what you can be earning!

This is not your typical 9-5 job. Your hours are flexible so it's important to have self-motivation. On the bright side, you don't have to worry about conflicts in scheduling visits to the doctor or unexpected events that may come up.

There are weekly meetings run by the management team to keep you up to date with changes in the financial industry so you are constantly learning new things and building upon your wealth of knowledge!

Last but not least, AMAZING office environment. Everyone works extremely hard but are also very friendly and there to help you if you need it. There is a great sense of teamwork that drives everyone to excel individually.
Pros
Great office environment, great pay, ongoing education, flexible hours
Great learning experience and you can make money
Management Trainee (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 9, 2015
Some benefits of working with ICM is the ability to grow your business and grow within the company. The learning experience has been great. Many of the things I learn here I can take out into the real world and help others.
Great work environment!
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 9, 2015
ICM has a great training program! The training is very hands on and they really prepare you to succeed in your career. They provide you with all the tools and knowledge you need to excel and help clients. There is a lot of growth potential in this company. The harder you work the faster you can get promoted and move up within the company. The company doesn't hire outside managers, so you can only get promoted from within. Overall the company is a great one to work with. I feel like I'm a valued employee. It's small so I can get one on one time with my manager if necessary and if I need help I know someone will be there to assist me.
Pros
Rewarded based on your hard work
Cons
Some outside travel may be necessary
Great company to work for. I've always been treated with the upmost respect
Financial Adviser (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 9, 2015
I am able to do all of my responsibilities and duties in a friendly, supportive and ethical environment. There are many opportunities for advancement as well as high earning potential. I specially appreciate the continuous training and company sponsored regulatory courses. High image office. Convenient location. Free parking
Pros
Best training I've seen in the industry
Cons
Can't think of any. It's a wonderful company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Independent Capital Management, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2