Independent Capital Management, Inc.

Independent Capital Management, Inc. Employee Reviews

For those who are entrepreneurs and business minded
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  South Pasadena, CAAugust 9, 2016
Wonderful company
Independent, not tied to one product
Unlimited income potential
Great training
You are rewarded for your hard work
Bonus opportunities
If you like to push yourself this place is for you
Variety within the job
Never a dull moment
It is a great feeling to be able to help people build a solid financial plan, so that they can make money, save money, protect it, and pass it to their beneficiaries.
Pros
A lot
Cons
If you don't like to work hard and get rewarded for it, then this is not for you
Financial Advisor for 3 months and already producing!
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  South Pasadena, CAMay 31, 2016
I joined ICM based on a personal referral earlier this year. The interview process was swift and efficient, as was the onboarding. The Corporate and South Pasadena Office have provided me with all of the resources I need to do my job effectively. A very clear expectation was set from day 1 of what my job responsibilities would be, along with the explanation of what benefits were available.
Pros
Interview process was swift and efficient, Clear expectation was set from day 1, I was able to begin producing within first 60 days on the job.
Cons
None. The ICM team has equipped me with all the necessary resources to perform at an optimal level.
It's ok
Financial Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 17, 2016
There is not much I can say about this company. The work that I did there was very cut and dry as a typical sales job. I am looking for other opportunities.
Help clients meet current and future financial goals
Senior District Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 3, 2015
I most enjoyed working with clients. Every relationship is a challenge-. They all have assets and goals although they may not understand them My job is to spread out the available assets to best meet the goals and to make sure the client understands the plan.

The least liked part of the job is the need to continually seek new clients.

This was also the only position I have ever held in which I was expected to pay for the right to work. Lots of fees and licenses are required.
Pros
Flexible schedule, Good training, Highly Ethical
Cons
Commission only
Excellent opportunity to grow a business and become independent
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAMarch 4, 2015
ICM has an excellent business model based upon being independent. Being non-proprietary allows you to truly offer what is in the best interest of the client. In addition, the relationships you build with your clients are very rewarding. I have been with the company for 8 years now and have grown professionally and personally in ways you can not working for someone else. The Torrance office of ICM have excellent managers who have made my career go to the next level!
Pros
Unlimited earning potential. Highly developed business and personal skills. Excellent culture.
Cons
You must have grit, determination and the mindset of an entrepreneur.
Building your own business!
Rep (Current Employee) –  TorranceFebruary 10, 2015
I have been with ICM for over 6 years now and it has been an exciting transition. Helping people with their financial concerns is quite rewarding. Another great aspect about working at ICM is the flexibility in hours. I actually can run an errand during the week instead of the weekend. Don't get me wrong, it takes hard work to become successful. As long as you do what the manager tells you, you have a very good chance to succeed.
Pros
Helping people and flexibility
Cons
Hard work
Great company to work for. I've always been treated with the upmost respect
Financial Adviser (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 9, 2015
I am able to do all of my responsibilities and duties in a friendly, supportive and ethical environment. There are many opportunities for advancement as well as high earning potential. I specially appreciate the continuous training and company sponsored regulatory courses. High image office. Convenient location. Free parking
Pros
Best training I've seen in the industry
Cons
Can't think of any. It's a wonderful company
Great work environment!
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 9, 2015
ICM has a great training program! The training is very hands on and they really prepare you to succeed in your career. They provide you with all the tools and knowledge you need to excel and help clients. There is a lot of growth potential in this company. The harder you work the faster you can get promoted and move up within the company. The company doesn't hire outside managers, so you can only get promoted from within. Overall the company is a great one to work with. I feel like I'm a valued employee. It's small so I can get one on one time with my manager if necessary and if I need help I know someone will be there to assist me.
Pros
Rewarded based on your hard work
Cons
Some outside travel may be necessary
Great place to grow in the Financial Industry
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Irvine BranchJanuary 9, 2015
The work environment is great. Everyone works together and helps out when someone has a hard case that they are dealing with. The managers are there to help you grow in this industry and if you have any questions they are always willing to help.
Pros
It is a great place if you are have a strong motivation to grow within a company, If you are putting in the work it is easy to get promoted, They focus on promoting from within the company
Cons
You only get paid on how hard that you work, The harder you work the more money that you can make
Independence is important
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 9, 2015
ICM has a great training and certification program that made it easy to get started. The management also has a vested interest in getting you up and running, which is important.

One of the main benefits is independence. This means that you're not tied to one company's products or investments. Also, it means that there is no vested interest in milling the company's products or in selling things that are not beneficial to the client.
Pros
Flexible schedule, good training
Cons
Straight commission can be difficult for new advisors
Great company to start a career with
Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 5, 2015
Need the necessary licenses to work in this industry, however, they assist you with the entire process and training. ICM gives you the ability to create a sustainable business for the rest of your life, while helping others achieve financial goals they never would have reached without you.

You must be able to network yourself and meet people. This sometimes may result in going outside your comfort zone. Yet, working with clientele and cultivating that mutually beneficial relationship can be an extremely rewarding experience.
Pros
Independence, Educational value, Personal Growth
All the tools and resources necessary to succeed.
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 2, 2015
Let me start off by saying that this job isn't for everybody. You have to be willing to work hard and long hours early on in your career. It is definitely a front-loaded industry and work ethic and charisma may be the two most important traits you require.

With that being said, it is a great environment and is fully dedicated to ensuring each employee's success. You will be comprehensively mentored and pushed to do well. It is definitely a nice feeling making money while simultaneously helping out people, especially your close friends and family.

Put in the effort and you will reap the rewards.
Pros
Flexible work hours, own business, you get what you put in
Cons
Lot of work, brutal Mondays
Financial Services and Management Opportunity
ICM Employee (Current Employee) –  South Pasadena, CADecember 23, 2014
ICM gave me an opportunity to break into the Financial Services Industry as a college graduate. Hard work, Patience and perseverance paid off. This is a career not a job. If you are looking for a job, this may not be the place to apply. You must be able to pass background, Credit and exams in order to start working with clients. Training is important and the managers help all the way through the process. Support is key as well.
I'm glad I took this OPPORTUNITY and can't see myself doing anything else.
Pros
Learn about Finances to have a Present and Future
Cons
Have to Work Hard and Keep a Positive Attitude All The Time
Great opportunity to learn and growth
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  South PasadenaDecember 23, 2014
ICM is a great company to work with, specially for those who newly start financial analyst career. Division manager works very closely with you to help to pass Series 6, 63 and life license, and train you with communication and sales skills. If you strongly believe you are an entrepreneur minded person, this is definitely the company you want to start with.
Pros
you work as business owner, great bonus
Excellent place to begin a career in financial services
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 29, 2014
At ICM Financial, many hours are spent meeting with clients and servicing their accounts. Segments of the day are spent researching and collaborating with coworkers. The hardest part of the job is getting started. To succeed in this industry you need to make sacrifices and work hard to grow a clientele. Because we work on a referral basis it is essential that you ask your friends/family for other people that can benefit from sitting down with an advisor. The most enjoyable part of the job is the the essential need for people to speak with you. Many times people are guarded when speaking about financial matters but it is very important for them to do so.
Pros
Support System, Incentive Structure
Cons
Long Hours, 401(k)
Comfortable working enviornment
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 13, 2014
A good company to get a taste of the financial advising world with out any bias as this is an independent firm, No in-house products/solutions to thrust upon clients. All planning is done with with client's needs/interests after rigorous analysis of available options to determine the most appropriate solution for the client.
Pros
friendly working environment, management and entry level are all treated equally
Cons
health care benefits
Positive work environment
financial services specialist (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAJune 23, 2014
A positive work environment. Our company is service and education focused. We are not required to offer specific services or products to our clients. Our management team is very helpful with supporting us and helping grow our practice. The company has a favorable bonus program.
Pros
Independence, Flexibility, Positive work environment, no cap on income
Cons
Great place to start your career
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 7, 2015
Good place to work, compensation is above industry, it is a good place to start your career, they are constantly training you and helping you improve. Coaching it is greatly implemented by managers and they encourage you to grow within the organization.
Pros
They encourage you to grow within the organization
Cons
management tends to micro manage
A Place for Entrepreneurs
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  South Pasadena, CAAugust 9, 2016
When I began at the office I was immediately greeted with a comfortable and professional working atmosphere. What really struck me the most was the quality of the people who were working around me and how much liberty there was given to us as employees to make our work our own. Throughout the training and studying portions of the work education we were constantly given unique opportunities to grow our industry knowledge and witness some of more experienced employees at work.

The company structure is solid and provides a very visible ladder towards success. The incentives for hard workers are top notch and it is a great place to work if you want to see your hard work rewarded. The nature of the work is challenging yet rewarding and everyone at the office works equally as hard and are very supportive of each other. Each member of the staff is very driven, intelligent, focused towards the goal of really meeting our clients financial needs and goals.

The hardest part of the work is probably the learning curve upon entry into the field. There are many licenses and several weeks needed to train a new rep which goes without any initial pay, but all study fees are reimbursed so that balances out.

The best part of the work is that initiative and hard work are rewarded through improved performance. Hard workers are welcomed with open arms. As long as a person commits themselves to working hard and learning as much as they can on a daily basis, this can be an amazing company to work at.
Pros
Great benefits, Incentives, and a Strong Corporate structure
Cons
High learning curve and initial costs and licensing
Opportunity for unlimited success!
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego,CAJanuary 5, 2015
I've worked in this company for almost 5 years now and I'm not going to say its an easy industry. But, this company is one of the best to get into this industry.

You have continued support from your managers without having to share commissions (like a lot of other companies do).
The company promotes only from within. For me this is a big plus because you know that every manager has been through what you have been and you have the same opportunities to become a top executive in this company as they had.
They encourage you to keep improving by helping you take additional securities license exams and CFP (all reimbursed expenses).

Like I said, becoming a financial advisor is not easy. But working for a company like ICM will make it easier.
Pros
unlimited growth potential and financial success.
Cons
Not a lot of people have heard about the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Independent Capital Management, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4