Independent Health

Independent Health Employee Reviews

Technically challenging but not a clear understanding of business requirements.
Solution Architect (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYMay 16, 2015
Pros: Innovative technology, complicated challenging solutions
Cons: Lack of understanding of software development by the business, unrealistic timelines
Working for a Health Insurance company is pretty interesting given the complexity of health insurance and the number of customers and providers Independent Health catered to. I designed a variety of solution, from low latency real time transactions to highly scaled automated batch processes.
I worked with some very innovative and hard working software developers, but the problem was the lack of understanding the business had about software development and the different facets involved in it and what an agile SDLC process worked. This led to complications and a lot of software being developed in haste.
Cares about employees
Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Williamsville, NYMay 13, 2015
Management is excellent. Many employee appreciation events. Work was challenging, interesting. Overall a great company to work for.
Independent Health was an interesting and challenging place to work
Managing Solution Architect (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYMay 11, 2015
Excellent company to work for. While with Independent Health provided guidance in the development and deployment of a clustered WAS and MQ environment. There were several environments which were deployed
Would not recommend this employer
Management (Former Employee), Williamsville NYMarch 23, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: not adequately staffed, too many software applications, poor management decisions
High stress environment. Staff has to jump through hoops just to "achieve" as 2% raise. Overworked, and understaffed is the best way to describe all areas of the organization. The primary reason staff stay is for the generous benefit structure.
N/A
Provider Relations (Current Employee), BuffaloMarch 9, 2015
High Call volumes, multi-tasking. Patience is needed. Training is excellent. Customer Service almost a dead end you will have to work hard to excell
Miserable place to work
claims analyst (Current Employee), williamsville, myNovember 23, 2014
Pros: hours, co-workers
Cons: everything else
Don't apply for the Claims analyst position. The management is awful, the pay extremely low and the moral terrible. The system they use is never working and if it is working there isn't anyone who can answer your questions on how to solve things because management does not know how to use the system either. Or they are in continuous meetings. For a big corporation you would think it would be well run it is not. You are micro-managed and treated awful. Not a good place to work at all. There are better jobs out there keep looking.
Okay place to work
State Programs Processor (Former Employee), Williamsville, NYNovember 22, 2014
IHA was a decent place to work. They offered much job advancement but the pay was low.
Medicare Servicing Representative (Former Employee), Williamsville, NYNovember 11, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Great place to work, especially if you have a family. Wonderful staff, I had to leave due to a move unfortunately, and it was to far of a drive, so I had to leave my position.
Great work place
QA Lead - Salesforce (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYNovember 5, 2014
I love o work here. Campus is very work friendly. People are very nice here.
Great Place to work
Facility Reimbursement & Operations Specialist (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYNovember 3, 2014
I think Independent Health is a great place to work. I really enjoy the atmosphere and the people I work with.
Lack of training, guidance
Coordination of Benefits (Former Employee), Williamsville, NYAugust 7, 2014
A typical day started at 7am logging into the system as quickly as you came in as there was always a supervisor keeping an eye on you. Supervision frowned upon any interaction between employees.
Overtime was mandatory between 10-20 hours per week, depending upon how far behind they where.
Training was minimal at best, new computer system things where changing constantly, not only daily but some days these changes where hourly.
QA department was not trained in how to adjudicate a claim so there was a constant fear of receiving a QA notification, you where allowed only 3-5 a month.
Co-workers where great.
Pay was horrible considering the amount of knowledge you where required to have and the lack of training that went with it.
COB department did not appreciate anyone who had more experience or could process faster then employees who had multiple years of experience.
It is sad working for one of the largest health care companies in the area and you make so little that you qualify for Medicaid.
Temp employees are treated as outcasts and continually called TEMPS.
Unsure of how the remainder of the organization is run but if it is anything like the claims department, I seriously would not even consider working here.
Good company to work for
Member Services, Complex Accounts (Former Employee), Williamsville, NYAugust 5, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits
Good company and culture. I am elgible for rehire here and would love to work here again
Relaxed atmosphere
DATA ENTRY CLERK (Former Employee), Depew, NYJuly 29, 2014
Working in Data Entry it is very laid back. Easy to work independently. Days pass fast while completing all assigned work.
Family oriented workplace
Claims Auditor (Current Employee), Williamsville, NYJuly 15, 2014
Pros: close to shops, stores, dress down days, good healthcare
Cons: poor leadership/management, no room to advance
Most everyone is very friendly and approachable, embrace family dynamics. Systems are very behind the times compared to other larger insurers.
Challenging work place
IT Solutions Architect (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYJune 24, 2014
The technical managers are awesome. Team work is appreciated.
ETL Consultant
ETL consultant (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYMay 13, 2014
Productive at the workplace
Customer Care Rep (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYMarch 27, 2014
Pros: paid sick days, vacation days, good hours, flexible to the employee
Cons: the job closed down
The company was a good smooth environment to work in, I learned how to process loans what to look for, and what to not to look for as far as the numbers on the loan. The management was very helpful in assisting with questions and inquiries. The co-workers were very energetic, and easy to work with. The hardest part of the job was first learning how to the job, but after its done so many times it becomes easy. Every thing about the job was enjoyable I have no complaints, except for the job closing.
Fair compenstation
Medical Fraud, Waste, and Abuse Investigator (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: compenstation
Cons: room to grow and move up
Fair compenstation, flexible schedule, nice culture, fortunate for my position.
Job Description
Sales Rep (Former Employee), Lakewood, NYJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: at will company
Responsible for following up on company generated Medicare sales leads, as well as developing community contact relationships resulting in referrals for enrollment. Training on all aspects of Medicare to stay compliant with rules and regulations of The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Performing Medicare approved sales presentations at numerous territory locations resulting in enrollment goals. Managing staff and daily operations of my Medicare Information Center during the Annual Election Period.
Good people, great culture and a strong company.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Williamsville, NYOctober 30, 2013
A typical day was non-existent at the level that I worked. I was in a role that took on any and all issues that arose, and I was to reactively solve the issues as efficiently as possible. Although the expectations regarding the aforementioned weren't well defined, each issue was a welcomed challenge and allowed for some good learning opportunities. The people and culture are both great, and were the most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest part of my role was the lack of management for the management level. I feel that with more mentoring and counsel I would've reached a higher level in the years that I was employed.