Independent Management Services Employee Reviews

Site Manager Ohio
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  OhioSeptember 21, 2017
I have been working with IMS for almost 5 years. The company cares about it's employees and they are always available when you have a question. Training and getting the right people that fit each property makes all the difference. Regional manager is one of the best, always has time , never puts you off willing to take a trip to make sure everything is in compliance.
Team work makes the dream work! I wasn't sure coming in because it's a low income property but when you have the company backing you, and who is consistent working for them makes for a smooth day.
A lot of paper work, and having to keep up with changes with HUD policies, but that's what they pay you to do.
I enjoy working for IMS and I plan on being here for a very long time if they allow me.
Pros
Company pays insurance for employees, pay is great raises yearly. No micro managing
Cons
won't let us have a "jeans" day
Very controlling and confusion
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 28, 2017
My coworkers were nice to work with but ever time the main manager came to visit things changed and we were all nervous with her constantly yelling on the phone. You always scared and stayed out of office. It didn't seem like the Mangers in the office could make any decisions without her approval. This was a very stressful working environment. I'm glad I no longer work there. If you like upper management controlling every move well this is the place for you. I enjoy fixing things but I would not recommend this company. You have to take lunch at the same time and if you don't you get in trouble and they do not pay overtime. You have to take off the time ypu worked whie on call.
Pros
Free medical and biweekly pay
Cons
The corporate office has to control everything
Absolute liars. Avoid this job
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 8, 2017
A day on the job: 8 am. Pick up trash,garbage all over property from night before. ( everyday ) tenants continuously litter throughout the day without penalty. Next, you start work orders for tenant problems only to find that you haven't the materials to do the job due to your supervisor not ordering them. Gross, disgusting filthy apartments you must try to work in. Management is a total joke. Supervisor makes alot of money on the side. Watch your back working in this place.
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
Management, high copays on insurance.
Don't work here.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  MichiganAugust 3, 2017
No training, terrible pay, and management didn't care about the residents who lived there. A lot of criminal activity and drug use was happening and upper management wouldn't get involved while the complex was getting worse. A lot of paperwork to be done with very little training. Seems like the other reviews are the same as what I have experienced.
Pros
Hour lunch break, paid vacation after 90 days
Cons
Management, area, low pay

Horrible Company
Office Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 28, 2017
Does not matter how hard you bust your backside for them, there is no appreciation and the Micro-managing is plan ridiculous, no matter what you do its never good enough, and absolutely no training. Constant changes nothing is consistent. P.M might as well do it herself, if you want to be that controlling. If you make one mistake your terminated. Absolutely no room for human error!!
Pros
Cons
tons
August 7, 2017

Worst work experience of my life.
Office manager (Former Employee) –  Lapeer, MIJuly 25, 2017
Property Manager was the worst micro manager I have ever met. Was changing paperwork and was forging my signature and or intaitals. The pay was not enough even with the free insurance. I would actually qualify with the amount of many I was making there to live there. I found out after I started that there was less then a year turn around on office managers there. No matter if I was with someone or doing paperwork the property manager would call me into her office and make me stop what ever it was I was doing and have me do what ever it was that she wanted in that moment. I would have to apologize to people because she would just keep calling my name till I went in her office. It was ridiculous
Pros
Hour lunch and no weekends
Cons
No respect from management.
August 7, 2017

I am only guy to do all the work but there have another two guys do some or none work.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Cottage Hills, ILMay 23, 2017
There is poor management because I have to work both place while they never find a new guy for about between 3 to 9 months before found one in 5 or 6 time in 5 or 6 years so far.
Pros
Work hard
Cons
Get back to work while another two guys do nothing.
May 30, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. Our team members are our single most valuable asset and our residents are the lifeline of this company. We work relentlessly to create a collaborative, safe, and professional environment where team members feel valued and are empowered to always do the right thing. As we continue to expand, we understand not every experience will be consistent with our expectations. This is why your comment is important to us. In response to your specific concerns, we are always looking for ways to evaluate and improve our orientation, communication, and leadership development training. We also noticed that you valued our employer provided benefits. We are continuously looking to expand and improve our benefits program. We are currently rolling out new leave programs and updating our company website to provide greater access to training, benefits, and other employee information. Again, thank you for your response. It will help us improve. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Could not wait to leave
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Clinton Township, MIMay 15, 2017
No training provided. The company is only interested in money. Not the growth and overall well being of the employees. Not a very safe clean working enviroment
May 16, 2017

Lots of paperwork, not enough pay
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  MichiganMay 9, 2017
Honestly, you get free insurance and it's only beneficial if you don't have a family. Also, the pay is so low compared to the amount of paperwork you have to deal with. There have been some shady practices happening within management and everyone has there own hidden agenda.

Prepare to be thrown to your workspace without proper training. You just have to hop onboard and hope you figure it out and pass inspection.
Pros
hour lunches, get to use cell phone
Cons
long hours, no appreciation
August 7, 2017

Good company for reliable and hard working person
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  grand rapidsMay 8, 2017
Good company for reliable and hard working person to join. There are never enough people to keep work load down so showing up to work and giving a 100% effort will go a long way
May 16, 2017

Poor management at Texarkana location.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Texarkana, ARMarch 23, 2017
The maintenance assistant was making the same wages as me and I was his supervisor.And he had no where near the credentials or experience that I have. The property manager was real slow about getting supplies.
April 17, 2017

May 16, 2017

Must be willing to adapt to a changing work environment
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 10, 2017
Must be willing to adapt to a changing work environment. Fast paced work environment with a great team of staff. Must be a self starter and have great attention to detail.
Former Mantenence (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 3, 2016
This company is very incompetent no real seriousness for the residents and the management are to invovled in personal relationships with one another .
January 31, 2017

Not the best
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  MichiganSeptember 26, 2016
Constant turn over of managers, team work discouraged, NO training, a lot of infighting among good people because there is no clear leadership and job descriptions change daily , talking down to residents is a everyday practice..opportunities for Improvement every where.
Pros
8-5 hours
Cons
No team work
November 2, 2016

Unprofessional to say the least
Janitorial and Cleaner/ Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJune 9, 2016
The company itself is great to work for. The recent change in Site management... not so much. The atmosphere is terrible. The leasing agents along with the site manager are allowed to treat other employees like trash. There is no such thing as professionalism starting from the top down. The site manager is a micromanager that is often wrong, overwhelmed, and incapable of making a decision. Although everyone knows she is incapable of making a decision.... she won't allow her staff to do so either. She has repeatedly failed inspections because she exhibits characteristics of a run of the mill procrastinator and because of her procrastination, pressure is then applied to her staff. She took a top notch independently functioning staff and crippled them with her lack of assertiveness, inability to delegate reaponsibility, and lacklustre leadership skills. She doesn't know her tenants or employees. She talks down to staff and has killed the moral of the site. She does not any handle issues including those that are of safety concerns. Under her ideal of management, tenants who've lived there for years are now leaving. She will lie about her employees work performance in order to give them a terrible evaluation. She will lie about your attendance to a prospective employer just to keep you from advancing. She does not address any conflicts that occurr at her site. People have been physically harmed in various ways, many unfavorable illegal activities have been reported to her by scared tenants. She does nothing. Many have informed her of not feeling safe for various reasons. She does  more... nothing. Her own staff were going at each other in a physically aggressive manner. She never addressed it. She is not a leader. She is only there to get a check. Buyer beware. As a former employee, I would not recommend anyone apply to work at this facility until this woman is gone. She represents IMS in thee worst light possible. Does not care about the safety of her staff.  less
Pros
Vacation days/location
Cons
Detatched management, slumlord tendencies, lack of professionalism

Terrible company
former employee (Former Employee) –  IllinoisApril 6, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of calling Legal Services to report unethical/illegal practices. If you have vulnerable family or friends living in one of the complexes that these people manage, keep a close eye in them. Management is incompetent, cold, and outright vicious. You will be treated like garbage as an employee and a tenant.
Pros
Cons
Incompetant, dishonest

Very unprofessional property manager
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Corporate is out of Fenton, MiJuly 6, 2015
Property Manager for Oklahoma Region and Manager above made so many promises and never followed through. Corporate office was great to work with. Property manager did a lot of illegal things at the property I worked for.
Pros
Cons
Manager did not care
July 12, 2016

Not a good character fit
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIJanuary 10, 2015
Processing applications, customer service, inspections and handling customer issues. I learned that not everything that sounds like a better deal (more money, better hours, etc.) is. My direct manager was good, she just did not have the proper time to train me. My co-workers were great. The hardest part of the job was trying to do a job that I was not trained to do and also coming into a job where residents were already upset because they had been through so many Office Managers and said they were told different things. The most enjoyable part was when I did something that made a difference for a resident or applicant. It also felt great when I did figure out how to do something with little guidance.
Pros
Good paying job.
Cons
Little training.

Lots To Do!
Occupancy Specialist (Current Employee) –  MichiganNovember 10, 2014
You will always stay busy here. Good job security. Small offices....family oriented. One on one learning.

Poor job training
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Wagoner, OKOctober 23, 2014
Not enough pay or hours for what you do. Do not train their employees very well.
July 12, 2016

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Independent Management Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.1