Independent School District 196 Employee Reviews

nice people
Special Education Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Rosemount, MNJune 9, 2017
good company to work for excellent benefits - great for semi-retired or retired person. If you are looking to make a living driving a school bus look else where. Long hours - example driving routes are in 2-4 hour block through out the day - so you spend 10-12 hours "reserved" but get paid for 6-7 hours because of breaks between routes during the day. Very little work in the summer months - good if you want something to do but want to spend the summers at the cabin!
not a good situation
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNApril 28, 2014
unsafe work environment. treated poorly by upper management. lack of communication and drive throughout
Kind teachers were intermittant
Teaching Assistant/Student Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Rosemount, MNMarch 19, 2014
I loved working in ECFE, until I was laid off due to state budget cuts. I was then transferred to special education at a local school. I loved the kids I worked with, hated the teachers that my kids had. They were egotistical, self-centered, nasty to specific kids, unkind to special needs kids, and took advantage of us (student support assistants). We were supposed to be there to work with the students, teachers thought we were their own personal secretaries. I was so turned off by the teachers, I had to leave.
Pros
Wonderful kids
Cons
Nasty self-centered teachers
Fun job, great people
School Bus Chaperone (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNFebruary 14, 2014
This is by far the greatest job I ever had. The staff and fellow employees were some of the greatest people I ever met. Rarely would I have any sort of drama within the workplace. The pay was fantastic and I had so much fun doing what I did. Kids are great to work with, if you're good with them.
Pros
Fun, easy, educational, great pay
Cons
No real area for advancement (Not a real lifelong career choice)
Productive and well liked
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNNovember 20, 2013
I got to do office tasks and it gave me a good idea of what goes on in an office setting
Peaceful work environment within the school class room
Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNFebruary 27, 2013
A typical day at work takes place in a special education classroom at the end of the day. Preparing students to get ready to go home. Packing their belongings. Reading books to them. Assisting them in their daily need. Sanitizing the environment and cleaning up after the students.
As a student Aide, I have learned to how to effectively work with the students by getting to know them as a person. Getting to know who I am working with is very important for this position.
The management for the job is understanding, patient,and organized.
My co-workers are staff members in the district who work as a team who are also friendly and knowledgable.
The hardest part of the job is that every day is different that the students I was with does not always cooperate.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the students themselves.
Cons
only paid to work for one class period for work experience student
Exciting and challenging place to work.
Substitute PSA/SSA (Current Employee) –  Rosemount, MNNovember 5, 2012
Working in this school district with special needs children is fun and rewarding because each of these students have unique talents that will help them become successful with the proper help with the Special education teachers that work with them and the para's that work with them.
Pros
choice time is fun. helping students develop their skills, and talents.
Cons
unstructured days can be challenging for special needs children and takes a lot of patience.
Productive and valuable work place
Short Call Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Rosemount, MNJuly 16, 2012
I really like working with district 196. Education has always been a passion of mine and it is a great opportunity to get working experience. I believe that being a substitute at District 196 is really helping with that goal and I believe that that institution is helping me toward working with others as well as gaining more knowledge on clerical skills.
Pros
flexible schedule, bonuses, working with excellent schools.
Cons
only short-call, so it's not full time and i do not get medical benefits.