Indian Health Service Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and fun place to assist people with diabilities.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 3, 2015
On a typical day as an Engineer for DHHS I respond to referrals for clients that have disabilities by making recommendations for home, vehicle or work place modification to assist the client with everyday living. These services are coordinated between the client, counselor, and myself as the Engineer. During this process I evaluate the client needs, create a formal report for construction or modification, select a contractor through the competitive bidding process, monitor all work and approve contractor invoices for payment. On a day to day basis I am challenged to use my expertise to identify or create ideas that will assist numerous types of disabilities. The most enjoyable part of my work is helping clients over come there bearers and knowing that I have played apart in making their lives a little better.
Pros
Able to assist others, freedom to use my creativity and expertise.
Cons
No potential for advancement
Nice place to work with alot of health benifits on site
Temporary/Full time charge nurse on dialysis unit (Former Employee) –  Bishop, CAAugust 6, 2016
A typical work day started out at 3:30 am getting the water tested and the machines primed up and running before the first dialysis patient walked in at 5 am. Setting up all the water baths, testing the pH of the water supply lines. I learned that every patient was different in temperament and needs and tolerance to dialysis treatment and schedules, and learned alot about dialysis and the whole process. Management was supportive, but direct management on the floor had no nursing knowledge or skills making decision making and the work place difficult . Co - workers were for the most part helpful some were lazy and made it hard to pick up the slack. The hardest part was a non medical manager in the dialysis unit, not understanding the roles of the nurse verses the technicians. I really enjoyed this temporary job knowing that I was helping people get through their week and making life easier by understanding their disease process with dialysis and nutrition.
Pros
Co-workers and patients
Cons
very short breaks, we got them whenever we could in between patients.
Great Laid Back and Relaxed employer
Bilingual Income Maintenance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 28, 2015
A typical day consisted of answering phones, and sorting through clients applications. I learned case management, organization, different state programs and services. Management was very unprofessional, in the aspect that they were all friends and gossiped about employees and based reviews on how another managers felt. Co-workers were average typical co-workers. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the work which consisted of the entire state of Wisconsin. The most enjoyable aspect was the diversity, lax dress code and overall friendly environment.
Pros
Benefits, work hours
Cons
management, communication
Ihs
Registered Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warm Springs, OROctober 16, 2015
I loved working at the Warm Springs clinic, I leaned a lot and gain some experience, some friends. I found the company that I would like to make a career with, awesome place to work, just no where to live as the reservations are in the middle of no where.
Pros
great benefits, promotions, travel, experince.
Cons
No where to live arond the Reservations.
typical day at work
care provider (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 17, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this expected of a big company.
Dhhs
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Sanford, MESeptember 2, 2015
Always at my desk working on the next item at that time. From start to finish of the day we met with clients and did what we could to help them the best we could with what we had to work with. After meeting with a client I would go back and do paperwork usually for the next 20 minutes until the next client came in and 20 minutes is on a slow day.
Pros
great benefits, great work hours, good pay
Cons
burnt out, management
Hard work, very much needed
MANAGEMENT ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Parker, AZJuly 2, 2016
Reviewed lots of policies for certification. Learned how policies are produced. The management faced daunting challenges and depended on me to figure out what was needed and accomplish it. I enjoyed getting the facility ready for accreditation.
rewarding and fun employment
Respite Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEAugust 23, 2016
I helped to facilitated community integration for an individual with intellectual and developmental disabilities. I emphasized individual choice while recognizing the specialized and often complex needs of the individual.
Internship (Environmental Division) (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJApril 4, 2016
A typical day at work is really productive. My coworkers and i get along really well. We go out to go and inspect the foods whether it is healthy for the public.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
One Big happy family
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pine Ridge, SDNovember 5, 2015
They only hire family members. Any one with education that could make a difference there is turned down. Their management is filled with morons. Most people just go to collect a check and they don't care about the health and well being of the community.
Pros
You get to work with family.
Cons
You can't get hired unless you have family their to hire you.
Social Service Worker
Local Office Worker (Former Employee) –  Fremont, NEApril 3, 2016
handle walk in clients did the same work as done with the Social Service Worker, handle telephone calls as they come into the office
This should be Habiliation Health Technician
Office Management (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCJanuary 25, 2016
Outstanding work setting. Allowed me to work with nine independent living clients who had a variable of psychological diagnoses.
Pros
Very Challenging, but a pleasure to work within in the independent living of each client
Cons
Part-Time. Clients needs were great and all could not be filled within the allotted time.
I helped the elderly and individuals with disabilities to qualify for Medicaid & Texas Disability of Aging & Disability Services.
Medical Eligibility Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, TXOctober 2, 2015
I rate this company excellent due to being able to help the elderly and individuals with disabilities who do not know who to turn to for medical help.
Pros
Knowing I did my job well and those in need will receive their full benefits.
Overall rating is '**". This is a good place to work if you are looking for job security and benefits.
CPS Protective Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 18, 2012
Overall rating: **

Compensation/Benefits: These are great!

Culture/Values: Are seriously lacking. Though programs are in place to reduce prejudicious, comments can be overheard being made among the staff; however, more importantly prejudicial treatment is evident in the writing of family/parental treatment plans that are impossible to complete within the court appointed time-frames thus setting the entire family for failure and permanent disruption.
Job Security/Advancement: Once hired; NEVER fired - regardless of mistakes!
Management: It would appear that DFPS prides itself on hiring MSWs. Unfortunately, most of the MSWs hired do not have the clinical expertise of the LCSW, which is the 3000 hours of experience that would bring the focus back around to "the well-being of the child, the family, and their environment" - something DFPS so desperately Needs!
Work/Life Balance: DFPS will wear you out with casework overload unless you are trained to with self-care to say "no". Staff are expected to maintained anywhere between 25 cases and up.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
do not practice stated mission cps values and/or core social work values.
Historical Trauma symptoms affect the quality of care.
Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Sells, AZJanuary 22, 2015
There were many opportunities for travel, advancement and the provision of services. It was a tremendous opportunity to become acquainted with another culture without leaving the United States.
Pros
federal salary based on national average, good benefits.
Cons
historical trauma symptoms were brought into the workplace.
Indian Health Service
Medical Records Technician (Former Employee) –  Warm Springs, ORMay 19, 2015
As an executive secretary relocating to population 2,000. Went through a program for adults to get full time position. And it turned out to be Indian Health service, In the business office. Training in the medical billing and coding. Indian Health service gave me this opportunity to learn. Showed me a new career. Thank you Indian Health Service.
Fun place to work...loved co-workers
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Sisseton, SDOctober 22, 2015
Learned so much from the pharmacist's there. They were will to answer any questions you had if you wanted to learn. Felt very important to the team.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
politics
Great company to work for
Grants Management Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 14, 2015
I have worked for Haynes Inc. for several years. Great company to work for. Excellent benefits and management team cares for their employees.
Dedicated employees that strive for patient satisfaction.
Registered Dietitian (Former Employee) –  Sisseton, SDAugust 27, 2015
Dedicated healthcare facility and staff that try to provide good medical care to all their patients thereby contributing to the nation's understanding of the effect of diabetes and chronic illinesses.
Pros
Good employee benefits package
Cons
Security, HIPPA, government budget approval pay stoppage while required work attendance.
Nice people and beautiful country.
Diagnostic Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Lame Deer, MTDecember 12, 2015
Great place to work and great people. I would recommend the Northern Cheyenne Clinic to anyone who wants to work in a beautiful part of the country with nice people.
Pros
The people and beautiful Montana.
Cons
It is remote and cold in the winter.

Indian Health Service Reviews by Location