Indian Health Service Employee Reviews

Very busy days
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJanuary 17, 2017
Working here at NIH in Admission we have so many patients that come in and see us from all over the world, if they never been here before they have to come to admissions and that's where my dept comes in at, I see roughly about 35 patients a day.
Pros
meeting new people from all over the world
Cons
Short Breaks
Great job in a very isolated area
Dental Officer (Current Employee) –  Harlem, MTDecember 3, 2016
Job and administration are very good. Type of dentistry needed very challenging but very rewarding for a population with many needs. The community itself has been very welcoming.Being isolated and away from family is the only negative.
Pros
salary and benefits
Cons
geographic isolation
rewarding and fun employment
Respite Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEAugust 23, 2016
I helped to facilitated community integration for an individual with intellectual and developmental disabilities. I emphasized individual choice while recognizing the specialized and often complex needs of the individual.
very productive
Cage Wash Technician (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDOctober 31, 2016
very busy workplace but also a lot of work gets done.
Co-workers were great there and the boss as well. It is a very joyful place to work in.
Cons
low salary
Hard work, very much needed
MANAGEMENT ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Parker, AZJuly 2, 2016
Reviewed lots of policies for certification. Learned how policies are produced. The management faced daunting challenges and depended on me to figure out what was needed and accomplish it. I enjoyed getting the facility ready for accreditation.
Nice place to work with alot of health benifits on site
Temporary/Full time charge nurse on dialysis unit (Former Employee) –  Bishop, CAAugust 6, 2016
A typical work day started out at 3:30 am getting the water tested and the machines primed up and running before the first dialysis patient walked in at 5 am. Setting up all the water baths, testing the pH of the water supply lines. I learned that every patient was different in temperament and needs and tolerance to dialysis treatment and schedules, and learned alot about dialysis and the whole process. Management was supportive, but direct management on the floor had no nursing knowledge or skills making decision making and the work place difficult . Co - workers were for the most part helpful some were lazy and made it hard to pick up the slack. The hardest part was a non medical manager in the dialysis unit, not understanding the roles of the nurse verses the technicians. I really enjoyed this temporary job knowing that I was helping people get through their week and making life easier by understanding their disease process with dialysis and nutrition.
Pros
Co-workers and patients
Cons
very short breaks, we got them whenever we could in between patients.
This should be Habiliation Health Technician
Office Management (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCJanuary 25, 2016
Outstanding work setting. Allowed me to work with nine independent living clients who had a variable of psychological diagnoses.
Pros
Very Challenging, but a pleasure to work within in the independent living of each client
Cons
Part-Time. Clients needs were great and all could not be filled within the allotted time.
Internship (Environmental Division) (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJApril 4, 2016
A typical day at work is really productive. My coworkers and i get along really well. We go out to go and inspect the foods whether it is healthy for the public.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Social Service Worker
Local Office Worker (Former Employee) –  Fremont, NEApril 3, 2016
handle walk in clients did the same work as done with the Social Service Worker, handle telephone calls as they come into the office
One Big happy family
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pine Ridge, SDNovember 5, 2015
They only hire family members. Any one with education that could make a difference there is turned down. Their management is filled with morons. Most people just go to collect a check and they don't care about the health and well being of the community.
Pros
You get to work with family.
Cons
You can't get hired unless you have family their to hire you.
Nice people and beautiful country.
Diagnostic Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Lame Deer, MTDecember 12, 2015
Great place to work and great people. I would recommend the Northern Cheyenne Clinic to anyone who wants to work in a beautiful part of the country with nice people.
Pros
The people and beautiful Montana.
Cons
It is remote and cold in the winter.
Ihs
Registered Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warm Springs, OROctober 16, 2015
I loved working at the Warm Springs clinic, I leaned a lot and gain some experience, some friends. I found the company that I would like to make a career with, awesome place to work, just no where to live as the reservations are in the middle of no where.
Pros
great benefits, promotions, travel, experince.
Cons
No where to live arond the Reservations.
I helped the elderly and individuals with disabilities to qualify for Medicaid & Texas Disability of Aging & Disability Services.
Medical Eligibility Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, TXOctober 2, 2015
I rate this company excellent due to being able to help the elderly and individuals with disabilities who do not know who to turn to for medical help.
Pros
Knowing I did my job well and those in need will receive their full benefits.
Great Laid Back and Relaxed employer
Bilingual Income Maintenance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 28, 2015
A typical day consisted of answering phones, and sorting through clients applications. I learned case management, organization, different state programs and services. Management was very unprofessional, in the aspect that they were all friends and gossiped about employees and based reviews on how another managers felt. Co-workers were average typical co-workers. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the work which consisted of the entire state of Wisconsin. The most enjoyable aspect was the diversity, lax dress code and overall friendly environment.
Pros
Benefits, work hours
Cons
management, communication
Dhhs
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Sanford, MESeptember 2, 2015
Always at my desk working on the next item at that time. From start to finish of the day we met with clients and did what we could to help them the best we could with what we had to work with. After meeting with a client I would go back and do paperwork usually for the next 20 minutes until the next client came in and 20 minutes is on a slow day.
Pros
great benefits, great work hours, good pay
Cons
burnt out, management
Dedicated employees that strive for patient satisfaction.
Registered Dietitian (Former Employee) –  Sisseton, SDAugust 27, 2015
Dedicated healthcare facility and staff that try to provide good medical care to all their patients thereby contributing to the nation's understanding of the effect of diabetes and chronic illinesses.
Pros
Good employee benefits package
Cons
Security, HIPPA, government budget approval pay stoppage while required work attendance.
Great place to work; keeps you on your feet.
Customer Service/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDJune 30, 2015
A typical day of work requires me to stay busy. Working with the public is a must when giving health insurance. I must know how to work fast and accurate under pressure and make sure the clients are leaving happy with all questions answered. I learned how to give health insurance and about all the different health insurance thats available. I also learned about how undocumented citizens receive health insurance as well. The most enjoyable part of my job is staying busy and my co workers are wonderful. Everyone knows how to work together to acheive the same goal.
Indian Health Sevice Agency-wide IT Security
Vulnerabilty Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 22, 2015
IHS includes over 40,000 individual networked devices located in over 380 separate geographical locations across the entire United States. I was responsible for scanning these all of these devices for vulnerabilities on a daily basis without causing disruption to other network services. When issues were discovered that local staff could not resolve, my team was responsible for teaching local staff how to protect their equipment.
Pros
telework
Cons
Sometimes politics interfered with operations.
When I came on board, I was excited about how much diversity the position offered.
MD (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJune 29, 2015
I have implemented change in my position to offer our customer's more results as far as more of an one on one meetings. Individuals will have a better understanding of what we can be completed for them. As a team my Director and I focus on serving without distraction. That way everyone benefits and the resolutions are solved. I enjoy working everyday to help.
typical day at work
care provider (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 17, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this expected of a big company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indian Health Service. Our community is ready to answer.

Indian Health Service Reviews by Location