Indian Health Service Employee Reviews

Summary
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Mescalero, NMDecember 27, 2017
Chronically understaffed, director of nursing manages via intimidation, disenfranchised patient population sadly underserved by this facility. Most employees work very hard to provide good service but are sabotaged by the administration.
Professional
EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIAN ADVANCED (Former Employee) –  Harlem, MTDecember 22, 2017
There are no typical days at the Emergency Medical Services department. Emergency and transport calls come in at any time of day or night. When responding to an emergency call, one must apply all knowledge to the task and work as a team to prepare for any contingencies. When not responding to a call, we were tasked to assure that the ambulance was well stocked, clean and all lights, siren and mechanical parts were working properly. We worked in the Emergency department when not busy in the office. Our supervisor was very knowledgeable and fair. The upper management would have award ceremonies, holiday lunches, and training's. The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendship of fellow employees. The hardest part of the job was seeing families in distress while a family member was injured or worse. Native American culture played a big part in the medical department. A great understanding of the culture was paramount to healing.
Pros
Staging our Ambulance at rodeos, games, parades, and Pow Wow's.
Cons
Sometimes we had to get up in the middle of the night for emergencies.
Ihs
Fitness Specialist (Former Employee) –  Poplar, MTDecember 13, 2017
Rewarding job working with the service unit staff to improve the health and well being of the enrolled tribal members. Grateful for the opportunity to improve their health.
Job a
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXNovember 8, 2017
It was a good job. And was a great place to be in and would love to go back if given the opportunity. Great benefits and amazing staff... a good company to work for
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MD 20892October 30, 2017
I am a contract specialist at NIH and I work an 80 hour schedule two days a week I work from home (telework). However, NIH has 27 Institutes and Centers and they may offer more days of telework.

My experience has been mainly in the purchasing and contracts arena. I am continuously learning new contract platforms and the workplace was named one of the best places to work over the age of 50.

The hardest part of the job is 4th quarter (July - September) we always seem to be in emergency mode - this never waivers year to year. It is part of the norm.

What I enjoy about the job is working with my peers and learning new contract types to apply to the procurements.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Short Staffed
No, just don't!
Accounting Technician (AP) (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 20, 2017
Nothing is more disrespectful than management who value their own agenda(s) than their own employees. I'm not here to do anything other than speak the truth about it all. If you work there, good luck! You've been warned!
fun
Clerk (Summer Help) (Former Employee) –  Columbus, TXOctober 6, 2017
im not sure how this job is but im sure theres great people that work there and they get to meet new people everyday and have fun whyle at work.......
Health and Human Services
Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 4, 2017
I have had a great experience working for HHSC, however I would like to experience other jobs before I retire. My experience with this company have made me a stronger person with it comes to management. I have met a lot of great people and have learned a lot.
Best job in the world
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 4, 2017
correction on this employment, I worked for Health and Human Services, not Indian Health Service. My work day would start out by greeting my staff. I learned each day how to make sure my staff were working at their best. My workplace culture with high degree of policy knowledge. Hardest part was when computer system would go down and client cases would back up. I enjoyed my job when I was able to promote my employees or able to give pay raises.
Pros
Enjoyed when my staff would be recognized for job well done
Cons
when agency would be understaffed
Extremely stressful and uncomfortable
CLERK III (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXAugust 9, 2017
A regular day was overwhelming and stressful. The clients were disrespectful and management consistently argued with each other while failing to solve the day to day issues.
Pros
You were awarded plenty of time off
Cons
Management was the worst that I have ever experienced
It would be a great place for someone new getting into a career but not a place to advance.
Senior Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Defiance, AZJuly 18, 2017
It was a solid place to work I just simply out grew it. A typical day at work was very routine from day to day. I learned a great deal about government a regulations.
Do not apply
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Eagle Butte, SDJuly 16, 2017
Significantly biased employer. Terrible work hours. Coworkers who do not care about their job of their patients. Avoid this place like the plague. HIPPA laws are violated by employers and administrators, I have never worked in such a hostile work environment.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Terrible management, terrible administration, poor patient care
Slow work environment
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  White River, SDJuly 14, 2017
Just not enough activity to keep an Labor and delivery nurse happy, one or 2 deliverys a month is not enough. It was much more a clinic environment and transport center.
new upcoming company
LVN (Current Employee) –  Hemet, CAJuly 13, 2017
brand new facility. drug and alcohol treatment for native americans and Alaskan Indians.

Patients receive therapy, counseling and medical services as needed

32 bed inpatient facility
well respected place of work
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJuly 12, 2017
Nice and very well respected place of business. Management is very well run and established. Able to learn a lot and advance within your career with respect.
Loved working with the Native American People and learning about their culture
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sells, AZJuly 6, 2017
-Opened/closed the clinic
-Ran quality control on all lab equipment prior to opening the clinic
-intake of each patient
-administered medications/injections per physician request
-wound care
-worked with MD and nurse practitioner as needed
-Management and all staff took awhile to let me in but I became trusted in this community, they did not want me to leave.
-Culture was amazing, to be able to learn of this Native American Culture was very rewarding
-Hardest part of this job was the drive to and from work about 2 hours round trip
-The most enjoyable was being a part of this culture for a year
Pros
Working with newborns to elders
Cons
The drive one way was 1 hour and had to go through 2 Border Patrol stops each way
IHS has great benefits
RN (Former Employee) –  PineRidge SDJuly 4, 2017
I have worked for Indian Healrh Service dor nineteen years. There are numerous work benefits and also the culture is native american so culture sensitivity is a must
Pros
Awesome benefits
Cons
Isolation from
great job, poor management
Pharmacy Deputy Director (O-6 billet) (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDJune 28, 2017
interacting with a patient population with a great need for advanced medical care provided a very rewarding practice. Electronic Health Record (EHR) utilization is very helpful to assist all medical providers in providing a comprehensive team based approach to patient care.

Senior management has a poor track record of retaining competent professional staff as most are more interested in their upcoming retirement. Unfilled positions at the CEO level which allows separate lower level managers to establish their own policies that usually work against each other creating a chaotic workplace.
Pros
clinical practice
Cons
management
Great Place
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Pine Ridge, SDJune 22, 2017
The reservation is a different type of place to work at. It was very humbling to experience such a different place to work. It loved every minute of it though.
a place to work
Clerk 3 (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXMay 21, 2017
Needing income to provide for myself and my family and I was placed to have these opportunities to do just that. I did not have much more of an expectation
Pros
Check
Cons
Work Environment