Indian Health Service Employee Reviews

Great company to work for
Grants Management Technician (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 14, 2015
I have worked for Haynes Inc. for several years. Great company to work for. Excellent benefits and management team cares for their employees.
Nice place to work
Extramural Support Assistant (Current Employee), Rockville, MDJuly 8, 2015
As an Extramural Support Assistant at the National Institutes of Health it's a nice place to work. Great working environment, and nice staff.
Great place to work; keeps you on your feet.
Customer Service/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Rockville, MDJune 30, 2015
A typical day of work requires me to stay busy. Working with the public is a must when giving health insurance. I must know how to work fast and accurate under pressure and make sure the clients are leaving happy with all questions answered. I learned how to give health insurance and about all the different health insurance thats available. I also learned about how undocumented citizens receive health insurance as well. The most enjoyable part of my job is staying busy and my co workers are wonderful. Everyone knows how to work together to acheive the same goal.
When I came on board, I was excited about how much diversity the position offered.
MD (Current Employee), Bethesda, MDJune 29, 2015
I have implemented change in my position to offer our customer's more results as far as more of an one on one meetings. Individuals will have a better understanding of what we can be completed for them. As a team my Director and I focus on serving without distraction. That way everyone benefits and the resolutions are solved. I enjoy working everyday to help.
Productive helping to educate the community on healthy eating
OFFICE MANAGER (Former Employee), River Ridge, LAJune 25, 2015
From the day I started at my site I immediately fit right in. Being the new person I thought i would be heard or my opinions wouldn't matter it was the exact opposite, ideas about how to get things done or ideas on how we can collectively work smarter not harder. During my last supervision I was asked how do I relieve my stress from work and from home My reply was "coming to work relieves my stress from home and going home is my stress reliever from work".
Indian Health Sevice Agency-wide IT Security
Vulnerabilty Specialist (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMJune 22, 2015
Pros: telework
Cons: Sometimes politics interfered with operations.
IHS includes over 40,000 individual networked devices located in over 380 separate geographical locations across the entire United States. I was responsible for scanning these all of these devices for vulnerabilities on a daily basis without causing disruption to other network services. When issues were discovered that local staff could not resolve, my team was responsible for teaching local staff how to protect their equipment.
Good
Telecommunication Specialist (Former Employee), Window Rock, AZJune 9, 2015
Pros: Good personnel
Cons: Management was preferential
Worked as part of a team and learned on the job with others that maintained a good working relationship in accomplishing daily work load.
Productive and fun place with good management.
Business System Analyst (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCMay 28, 2015
I am a hard working guy who likes to complete all the given task on time. I am very supportive to all my co-workers and like to work as a team.
I am always willing to take new challenges and learn new things and would consider it to be the most enjoyable part of my job.
I think this is a great thing for all people
CNA/Caregiver (Former Employee), Moncks Corner, SCMay 23, 2015
Pros: Love my work
Cons: I hurt when my client pass way it is like a part of my family is gone.
I have been looking for work for a long time and I think that this is a meaning full and more people can see what I can do and will be a very happy worker. I love to help people and I hope that I can make a difference in peoples life with all the care in the world.
Indian Health Service
Medical Records Technician (Former Employee), Warm Springs, ORMay 19, 2015
As an executive secretary relocating to population 2,000. Went through a program for adults to get full time position. And it turned out to be Indian Health service, In the business office. Training in the medical billing and coding. Indian Health service gave me this opportunity to learn. Showed me a new career. Thank you Indian Health Service.
Good people to work with
Deputy Director (Former Employee), Happy Camp, CaMay 5, 2015
Pros: Benefits, co-workers
Cons: Loyalty is weak
I learned very much about IHS, and it was wonderful to work with all the Health Program Personnel and others in the tribe. Loved to conferences and meeting new people and learning new things!
Productivity and Team Work
Office Assistant II (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAApril 29, 2015
Pros: Great work enviroment
Cons: Healthcare benefits are expensive
• Provided orientation and training for new employees at the Public Conservators Office on how to greet callers and process incoming/outbound calls.
• Updated and created desk procedures for the Cisco 25 + phone line system. Parsed and researched various California statutory codes and resources in response to public health awareness queries from callers and followed-up with individual responses and explanations.
• Filing correspondence and Court Accounting to the Court.
• Data Entry; Experience with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Publisher and Power Point.
• Research data and process information in Computrust System.
• Process Referral for Public Conservator and Administration cases
• Type 50 words a minute.
Fun place to work
Supervisory Health System Specialist (Bus Ofc Mgr) (Former Employee), Fort Defiance, AZApril 17, 2015
Pros: Work environment
Cons: Breaks too short
Responsible for oversight of several departments. Enjoyed working with other supervisors. Working with staff to complete projects. Learned a lot from staff. Enjoyed working with other department heads to meet our mission statement.
It a great place to work
NIH (Current Employee), AccountantApril 7, 2015
I Managed and maintained the OAR’s Conference Center for more than 150 meetings per year.
•Coordinated the planning and implementation of meetings for Senior Staff.
•Served as senior Travel Logistical liaison for the President’s Advisory Council on AIDS.
•Composed correspondence, memos, letters, and briefing material for annual conferences.
•Negotiated contracts with vendors in the NIH Procurement office, conferences, shipping supplies and computer software packages in compliance with DHHS Federal Regulations and The Office of AIDS Research Standard Operating Procedures.
•Monitored and controlled the Alchemy Retrieval Database, a correspondence and central filling system that track correspondence and documents received by and developed in the office.
•Analyzed all scientific documents in the Office of AIDS Research and made recommendations or concur with classifications and cross-reference.
•Served as primary assistant to the computer specialists.
•Provided technical support to 40 users on Basic Computer Applications.
•Trained senior and support staff on the functions and operations of the Alchemy Database.
•Provided overall administrative assistance to three Senior Program Analysts, one Budget Analyst, and one Program Coordinator.
•Prepared various reports and briefing material using a variety of software applications.
•Assembled, pack, and transmitted items using the Electronic On-line FedEx Website
•Created a directory database that stored names, addresses, etc.
• Administered the shipment of items going beyond National Boundaries.
 – more...
•Scheduled and maintained conferences between supervisors and staff using MS Outlook.
Used the On Time Calendar Program to develop up-to date calendars and weekly reports to be submitted to the Director’s Office.
•Served as lead payroll official, kept inventory of all Earnings and Leave Statements, along with all requests for leave.
•Prepared and filed confidential documents for employees.
•Coordinated office moves for 45 individuals – less
Rewarding
Senior Grants Management Specialist (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 1, 2015
Pros: Awesome
Cons: none
Prioritizng work

Learned to award grants and grant continuations. Review grant application and budgets.

Management was awesome.

As co-workers we work as a team to ensure all actions are completed before the October 1, deadline.

Nothing hard about the job

The feeling of providing services to families in need
intern
Intern (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDMarch 19, 2015
great research environment, lot of learning and growth opportunity bright minds substantial funding opportunities
Productive and friendly place to work
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Gaithersburg, MDJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: meeting interesting people learn new techniques for producing better work.
Cons: the challenge to meet my case load completion
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) cradle to grave process.
The ICE agency policy and procedures for records management and responding to request.
Learning ICE FOIA language at a fast rate without falling behind in my workload.
Reading the cases learning the investigation codes and closing cases. Working as a team.
Historical Trauma symptoms affect the quality of care.
Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee), Sells, AZJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: federal salary based on national average, good benefits.
Cons: historical trauma symptoms were brought into the workplace.
There were many opportunities for travel, advancement and the provision of services. It was a tremendous opportunity to become acquainted with another culture without leaving the United States.
Govenment Contract with no chance for advancement
Project Manager I (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: everyone got along and worked together. we even had potlucks and birthday cakes.
Cons: sometimes not enough hours on the contract to get the job done.
I enjoyed project management work, so the no advancement was not a concern. Everyone came to do their job and we enjoyed our work. It was rewarding to make improvements in the healthcare industry for so many people across the nation.
Provided a comfortable work environment with a friendly staff
Infectious disease surveillance unit intern (Former Employee), Concord, NHJanuary 12, 2015
My days at the Department of Heath and Human Services consisted of assisting with data analysis to assess completeness of testing assisting with process and procedure analysis and procedural modification to improve efficiency. I also Assisted with project planning and on-boarding of hospitals Work in partnership with Division, Bureau and local staff to coordinate updates to local guides and other program documentation for websites and distribution assisting with soliciting and documenting feedback from hospitals and or Division staff regarding on-boarding and process improvement.