Indian Health Service Employee Reviews

Extremely stressful and uncomfortable
CLERK III (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXAugust 9, 2017
A regular day was overwhelming and stressful. The clients were disrespectful and management consistently argued with each other while failing to solve the day to day issues.
Pros
You were awarded plenty of time off
Cons
Management was the worst that I have ever experienced
It would be a great place for someone new getting into a career but not a place to advance.
Senior Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Defiance, AZJuly 18, 2017
It was a solid place to work I just simply out grew it. A typical day at work was very routine from day to day. I learned a great deal about government a regulations.
Do not apply
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Eagle Butte, SDJuly 16, 2017
Significantly biased employer. Terrible work hours. Coworkers who do not care about their job of their patients. Avoid this place like the plague. HIPPA laws are violated by employers and administrators, I have never worked in such a hostile work environment.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Terrible management, terrible administration, poor patient care
Slow work environment
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  White River, SDJuly 14, 2017
Just not enough activity to keep an Labor and delivery nurse happy, one or 2 deliverys a month is not enough. It was much more a clinic environment and transport center.
new upcoming company
LVN (Current Employee) –  Hemet, CAJuly 13, 2017
brand new facility. drug and alcohol treatment for native americans and Alaskan Indians.

Patients receive therapy, counseling and medical services as needed

32 bed inpatient facility
well respected place of work
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJuly 12, 2017
Nice and very well respected place of business. Management is very well run and established. Able to learn a lot and advance within your career with respect.
Loved working with the Native American People and learning about their culture
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sells, AZJuly 6, 2017
-Opened/closed the clinic
-Ran quality control on all lab equipment prior to opening the clinic
-intake of each patient
-administered medications/injections per physician request
-wound care
-worked with MD and nurse practitioner as needed
-Management and all staff took awhile to let me in but I became trusted in this community, they did not want me to leave.
-Culture was amazing, to be able to learn of this Native American Culture was very rewarding
-Hardest part of this job was the drive to and from work about 2 hours round trip
-The most enjoyable was being a part of this culture for a year
Pros
Working with newborns to elders
Cons
The drive one way was 1 hour and had to go through 2 Border Patrol stops each way
IHS has great benefits
RN (Former Employee) –  PineRidge SDJuly 4, 2017
I have worked for Indian Healrh Service dor nineteen years. There are numerous work benefits and also the culture is native american so culture sensitivity is a must
Pros
Awesome benefits
Cons
Isolation from
great job, poor management
Pharmacy Deputy Director (O-6 billet) (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDJune 28, 2017
interacting with a patient population with a great need for advanced medical care provided a very rewarding practice. Electronic Health Record (EHR) utilization is very helpful to assist all medical providers in providing a comprehensive team based approach to patient care.

Senior management has a poor track record of retaining competent professional staff as most are more interested in their upcoming retirement. Unfilled positions at the CEO level which allows separate lower level managers to establish their own policies that usually work against each other creating a chaotic workplace.
Pros
clinical practice
Cons
management
Great Place
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Pine Ridge, SDJune 22, 2017
The reservation is a different type of place to work at. It was very humbling to experience such a different place to work. It loved every minute of it though.
a place to work
Clerk 3 (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXMay 21, 2017
Needing income to provide for myself and my family and I was placed to have these opportunities to do just that. I did not have much more of an expectation
Pros
Check
Cons
Work Environment
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMay 8, 2017
The government biomedical institute that is in charge of the federal funding for other schools and institutes. Headquartered in Bethesda Maryland, it has the most abundant research resources and strong research teams in many different fields such as cancer research and immunology research.
Do Not Apply
Clinical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Claremore, OKApril 12, 2017
Significantly biased employer. Terrible work hours. Coworkers who do not care about their job of their patients. Avoid this place like the plague..
Company was excellent
Cage Wash/ Laboratory Animal Technician (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDMarch 30, 2017
This company was excellent I built a ton of professional relationships with people. I was able to advance my skill set and finally learn how to operate and understand computers.
A great start to start you're career
Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Zia Pueblo, NMFebruary 16, 2017
I enjoyed working here help start my career as a dental assistant. Since than I've enjoyed it. A great place to get your skills and learn and also continue educating.
Pros
Don't have to clock in
Cons
Work overtime, and don't get paid for 15 min over.
Very busy days
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJanuary 17, 2017
Working here at NIH in Admission we have so many patients that come in and see us from all over the world, if they never been here before they have to come to admissions and that's where my dept comes in at, I see roughly about 35 patients a day.
Pros
meeting new people from all over the world
Cons
Short Breaks
Great job in a very isolated area
Dental Officer (Current Employee) –  Harlem, MTDecember 3, 2016
Job and administration are very good. Type of dentistry needed very challenging but very rewarding for a population with many needs. The community itself has been very welcoming.Being isolated and away from family is the only negative.
Pros
salary and benefits
Cons
geographic isolation
very productive
Cage Wash Technician (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDOctober 31, 2016
very busy workplace but also a lot of work gets done.
Co-workers were great there and the boss as well. It is a very joyful place to work in.
Cons
low salary
rewarding and fun employment
Respite Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEAugust 23, 2016
I helped to facilitated community integration for an individual with intellectual and developmental disabilities. I emphasized individual choice while recognizing the specialized and often complex needs of the individual.
Nice place to work with alot of health benifits on site
Temporary/Full time charge nurse on dialysis unit (Former Employee) –  Bishop, CAAugust 6, 2016
A typical work day started out at 3:30 am getting the water tested and the machines primed up and running before the first dialysis patient walked in at 5 am. Setting up all the water baths, testing the pH of the water supply lines. I learned that every patient was different in temperament and needs and tolerance to dialysis treatment and schedules, and learned alot about dialysis and the whole process. Management was supportive, but direct management on the floor had no nursing knowledge or skills making decision making and the work place difficult . Co - workers were for the most part helpful some were lazy and made it hard to pick up the slack. The hardest part was a non medical manager in the dialysis unit, not understanding the roles of the nurse verses the technicians. I really enjoyed this temporary job knowing that I was helping people get through their week and making life easier by understanding their disease process with dialysis and nutrition.
Pros
Co-workers and patients
Cons
very short breaks, we got them whenever we could in between patients.