Indian Health Service

Indian Health Service Employee Reviews

Great job in a very isolated area
Dental Officer (Current Employee) –  Harlem, MTDecember 3, 2016
Job and administration are very good. Type of dentistry needed very challenging but very rewarding for a population with many needs. The community itself has been very welcoming.Being isolated and away from family is the only negative.
Pros
salary and benefits
Cons
geographic isolation
A great start to start you're career
Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Zia Pueblo, NMFebruary 16, 2017
I enjoyed working here help start my career as a dental assistant. Since than I've enjoyed it. A great place to get your skills and learn and also continue educating.
Pros
Don't have to clock in
Cons
Work overtime, and don't get paid for 15 min over.
Nice place to work with alot of health benifits on site
Temporary/Full time charge nurse on dialysis unit (Former Employee) –  Bishop, CAAugust 6, 2016
A typical work day started out at 3:30 am getting the water tested and the machines primed up and running before the first dialysis patient walked in at 5 am. Setting up all the water baths, testing the pH of the water supply lines. I learned that every patient was different in temperament and needs and tolerance to dialysis treatment and schedules, and learned alot about dialysis and the whole process. Management was supportive, but direct management on the floor had no nursing knowledge or skills making decision making and the work place difficult . Co - workers were for the most part helpful some were lazy and made it hard to pick up the slack. The hardest part was a non medical manager in the dialysis unit, not understanding the roles of the nurse verses the technicians. I really enjoyed this temporary job knowing that I was helping people get through their week and making life easier by understanding their disease process with dialysis and nutrition.
Pros
Co-workers and patients
Cons
very short breaks, we got them whenever we could in between patients.
very productive
Cage Wash Technician (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDOctober 31, 2016
very busy workplace but also a lot of work gets done.
Co-workers were great there and the boss as well. It is a very joyful place to work in.
Cons
low salary
Very busy days
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJanuary 17, 2017
Working here at NIH in Admission we have so many patients that come in and see us from all over the world, if they never been here before they have to come to admissions and that's where my dept comes in at, I see roughly about 35 patients a day.
Pros
meeting new people from all over the world
Cons
Short Breaks
Hard work, very much needed
MANAGEMENT ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Parker, AZJuly 2, 2016
Reviewed lots of policies for certification. Learned how policies are produced. The management faced daunting challenges and depended on me to figure out what was needed and accomplish it. I enjoyed getting the facility ready for accreditation.
Productive and fun place to assist people with diabilities.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 3, 2015
On a typical day as an Engineer for DHHS I respond to referrals for clients that have disabilities by making recommendations for home, vehicle or work place modification to assist the client with everyday living. These services are coordinated between the client, counselor, and myself as the Engineer. During this process I evaluate the client needs, create a formal report for construction or modification, select a contractor through the competitive bidding process, monitor all work and approve contractor invoices for payment. On a day to day basis I am challenged to use my expertise to identify or create ideas that will assist numerous types of disabilities. The most enjoyable part of my work is helping clients over come there bearers and knowing that I have played apart in making their lives a little better.
Pros
Able to assist others, freedom to use my creativity and expertise.
Cons
No potential for advancement
Great Laid Back and Relaxed employer
Bilingual Income Maintenance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 28, 2015
A typical day consisted of answering phones, and sorting through clients applications. I learned case management, organization, different state programs and services. Management was very unprofessional, in the aspect that they were all friends and gossiped about employees and based reviews on how another managers felt. Co-workers were average typical co-workers. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the work which consisted of the entire state of Wisconsin. The most enjoyable aspect was the diversity, lax dress code and overall friendly environment.
Pros
Benefits, work hours
Cons
management, communication
rewarding and fun employment
Respite Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEAugust 23, 2016
I helped to facilitated community integration for an individual with intellectual and developmental disabilities. I emphasized individual choice while recognizing the specialized and often complex needs of the individual.
Overall rating is '**". This is a good place to work if you are looking for job security and benefits.
CPS Protective Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 18, 2012
Overall rating: **

Compensation/Benefits: These are great!

Culture/Values: Are seriously lacking. Though programs are in place to reduce prejudicious, comments can be overheard being made among the staff; however, more importantly prejudicial treatment is evident in the writing of family/parental treatment plans that are impossible to complete within the court appointed time-frames thus setting the entire family for failure and permanent disruption.
Job Security/Advancement: Once hired; NEVER fired - regardless of mistakes!
Management: It would appear that DFPS prides itself on hiring MSWs. Unfortunately, most of the MSWs hired do not have the clinical expertise of the LCSW, which is the 3000 hours of experience that would bring the focus back around to "the well-being of the child, the family, and their environment" - something DFPS so desperately Needs!
Work/Life Balance: DFPS will wear you out with casework overload unless you are trained to with self-care to say "no". Staff are expected to maintained anywhere between 25 cases and up.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
do not practice stated mission cps values and/or core social work values.
Dhhs
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Sanford, MESeptember 2, 2015
Always at my desk working on the next item at that time. From start to finish of the day we met with clients and did what we could to help them the best we could with what we had to work with. After meeting with a client I would go back and do paperwork usually for the next 20 minutes until the next client came in and 20 minutes is on a slow day.
Pros
great benefits, great work hours, good pay
Cons
burnt out, management
Ihs
Registered Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warm Springs, OROctober 16, 2015
I loved working at the Warm Springs clinic, I leaned a lot and gain some experience, some friends. I found the company that I would like to make a career with, awesome place to work, just no where to live as the reservations are in the middle of no where.
Pros
great benefits, promotions, travel, experince.
Cons
No where to live arond the Reservations.
Learned how to work with a culture very different than mine & how to work with little equipment or guidance.
Clinical staff nurse, Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Shiprock, NM Whiteriver, AZMarch 13, 2014
Worked at two different hospitals on different reservations from 1985-1996. Shiprock, NM & Whiteriver, AZ. Was my first nursing job and I am glad as I learned tons in part as these sites are so remote we had to do everything. I worked Med/Surg, ICU. and ER. Saw lots of trauma and severe infections. Collaboration could be challenging as regardless of how much the natives loved you, you are never really one of them. I learned to be diplomatic and respectful. We had great medical staff but they are fresh out of school. You rely on your brain and intuition as services are often difficult to access. I have done so many things in my career partly because of IHS, There is no where you will get the experience you get on the Rez!
Pros
government benefits, incredible learning experience
Cons
Indian preference, apathy
Historical Trauma symptoms affect the quality of care.
Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Sells, AZJanuary 22, 2015
There were many opportunities for travel, advancement and the provision of services. It was a tremendous opportunity to become acquainted with another culture without leaving the United States.
Pros
Federal salary based on national average, good benefits.
Cons
Historical trauma symptoms were brought into the workplace.
Indian Health Service overall is a a good working place.
Registered Nurse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pine Ridge Reservation, SDJuly 11, 2013
Indian Health Service promoted easy access to hire.
Very good benefits overall.
Culture and values good.
Management issues were fair overall.
Work and Life balance was fair.
Pros
Commadre effort to work as teams during disasters and shortages.
Cons
Really no pro administration to offer like a luncheon for nurse day, etc.
typical day at work
care provider (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 17, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this expected of a big company.
Very productive
Contractor/ Accountant (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 5, 2012
A typical day at work is reviewing and reconciling vouchers, journal entries, and process payments. I have learned both general accounting and auditing. Management is very organized and have positive attitude toward all employees. All co-workers are like Family and are productive both in team and individual works. The hardest part is there is no advancement in the Job. The most enjoyable part is you look forward to going to work because the management and all coworkers are very close to each other, which makes it fun and enjoyable working with them.
Pros
fun and enjoyable environment
Cons
no advancement
CA OEHE/SFC is the worst
technician (Former Employee) –  sacramentoDecember 1, 2012
The PHX Area was great to work for, but the bureaucracy gets you down. The CA Area OEHE, particularly SFC, gives no support to their employees and will hose you you if they get a chance. If you want to get in so you can move shortly elsewhere, go ahead and risk it, but your experience in CA will disappoint anyone seeking a job where you are respected for your work and rewarded for your efforts. It is the top management down that needs to be replaced with people who actually care about how they spend tax dollars and give the best service to Indians possible. Avoid CA IHS!!
Pros
retirement benefits
Cons
worst management ever
Indian Health Service
Medical Records Technician (Former Employee) –  Warm Springs, ORMay 19, 2015
As an executive secretary relocating to population 2,000. Went through a program for adults to get full time position. And it turned out to be Indian Health service, In the business office. Training in the medical billing and coding. Indian Health service gave me this opportunity to learn. Showed me a new career. Thank you Indian Health Service.
Govenment Contract with no chance for advancement
Project Manager I (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 20, 2015
I enjoyed project management work, so the no advancement was not a concern. Everyone came to do their job and we enjoyed our work. It was rewarding to make improvements in the healthcare industry for so many people across the nation.
Pros
Everyone got along and worked together. We even had potlucks and birthday cakes.
Cons
Sometimes not enough hours on the contract to get the job done.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indian Health Service. Our community is ready to answer.

Indian Health Service Reviews by Location