Indian River Transport Employee Reviews

rotten management and dispatch doesnt know geography
company driver regional (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLDecember 4, 2017
One of the worst companies i have ever been associated with. was supposed to be a southeast regional driver but out of 4 weeks, 2 1/2 were spent in the north and northeast. day after orientation overheard management berating and degrading people in operations in front of others.
Pros
Cons
everything, including management that degrades and berates others publicly
Had to wait long hours to load and unload with no pay
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FL 33884November 29, 2017
The equipment was well taken care of. they have a very good dispatch team. The customers at load or unloading points required a lot of waiting time that we were not reimbersed for.
Pros
The work was very easy to accomplish
Cons
waiting times and home time was a problem
Office Staff
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLNovember 20, 2017
Everyone there was helpful. They made sure we had the miles that we needed on a weekly basis and when we needed to come home they made it possible without making excuses
Avoid at all cost
OTR Liquid Tank Driver (Current Employee) –  Clovis, NMOctober 19, 2017
You will be constantly lied to,given a load every two or three days if you are lucky and their favorite group of drivers is all that matters. Management and dispatch are all liers. I run out of the Clovis,NM and I'm quitting tomorrow.
Pros
Cons
Everything about this place is wrong
Great folks!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Clovis, NMSeptember 10, 2017
Nice relaxed place to work, really enjoyed working for Angel.

Always had new well appointed tractors and clean taken care of trailers.
Was a great place to work
Pros
Easy wrok
Cons
Long weeks on the road.
Owner is very difficult to work for
Office (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLAugust 26, 2017
She consumes her days filled with running a ship of chaos. She disrupts the entire balance of the company and its workers with drama filled accusations and gossip. Everyone in the office is disrupted with gossip that the owner feeds on the floor daily. Everyone is job scared and there is never a smile until she talks. It's a shame because this company could be of good standing without her. I wouldn't recommend Indian River Transport as an employer of choice. This place is very unstable.
great company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLAugust 4, 2017
great company to work for all you have to do is get the product delivered on time. these people do not call you unless you are doing something wrong.you can not mess up unless you really try
Pros
great equipment they take very good care of there trucks
not worth the BS
otr driver (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLMarch 12, 2017
Not a good company all they care is about covering loads. i was there 2 years i thought i was a good driver until they decided to lay off 100 plus drivers i would not recommend this company
Pros
nice trucks
Cons
IRT does not take care of the trucks. NO PAY
Good company with a lot of potential
OTR Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLSeptember 23, 2016
From a drivers stand point it's not a bad outfit. Trucks are nice and spected out. Trailers are in decent shape. Miles are not an issue at all. Biggest issue from my stand point is getting drivers home. Been with the company just over 3 months and have yet to get home on time or at all. Winter haven office is overwhelmed and short on dispatcher staff which could explain the attitudes when you call in. One in particular who is a former driver is by far the biggest a-hole I've ever met in my 23 years I'd driving.
Pros
Trucks, miles, quality customers
Cons
Very little communication and hometime
Very nice people,nice equipment. Will not pay for 100s of hours waiting.
Over the road driver (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven FloridaAugust 9, 2016
Indian River Transport hauls food grade products.
This means they pick up and deliver to dairies.
If you have never been to a dairy, here is the breakdown.
You arrive and wait several hours for them to take a sample from your tank, then you go park, anywhere from 8 to 14 hours later they come and get you to unload, 4 hours later you are unloaded, then they wash your tank, 2 hours later you are ready to leave.
You drive anywhere they send you and you wait 4 to 8 hours to get loaded, if you are overweight it is milk and they will tell you to run with it and they will pay the fines.
The people in Winter Haven are super nice people and the equipment you drive is good safe equipment and if you do not mind working hundreds of hours and not getting paid for it then this is the company for you.
Back in the 1930s companies treated employees like this and the Teamsters were born.
You simply cannot treat modern truck drivers in this manner and expect them to keep driving for you.
Modern companies give a shipper or a receiver 2 hours and then charge them for detention.
I do not believe that while I was sitting at a dairy in Michigan waiting to get loaded for 20 hours that Indian River Transport did not get compensated for their truck sitting there all that time.
I do know that I did not receive one penny for waiting that day or the numerous others that I waited, and that is why I left Indian River Transport on good terms after cleaning my nice truck out and handing my keys to the nice people in the office.
I hated to leave but I simply could not stay.
Pros
Very nice people in the office.
Cons
Hundreds of hours of waiting at customers unpaid.
Lied to
driver. (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CAJuly 11, 2016
As recruiters are known to do they lied to me. Yeah you can get 2800-3000 miles a week.Went to Orientation. Guy that gives me the road test says no way will I get that many miles. Drivers hanging around the yard told me the same thing. I took another job at 45cpm and a truck that runs 86mph. I get 3500 miles a week now. 1800-2000 is the best I could hope for at IR. a week. Indian River said paid orientation. They flat out lied. They now say I don't get paid for Orientation because I didn't pull one load. They lied. I paid my own way there. I was lied to and get nothing. Screw Indian River. Treated like family is true. You'll screw your family every chance you get.
Pros
no pros
Cons
liars
Average truck company with most work requiring travel
Bulk Tanker Driver (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLApril 18, 2016
This is a Family owned company that transports food grade products by tanker truck. This company has some dedicated accounts that provide's some driver's with a somewhat normal work schedule. However the amount of work depends on their customer needs and is seasonal. Therefore resulting in irregular pay checks and time off. Health insurance premiums are high and I believe that they should negotiate health plans directly to companies and not use an insurance broker.
Pros
Trucks are traded regularly and some drivers take them home.
Cons
Most driver's have ill regular work schedules and pay checks
Professional Driver (Current Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLFebruary 16, 2016
i enjoy being close to home.
The men and women in dispatch that send me on my loads keep me running and busy, no long time sitting waiting to get at load.
Pros
na
Cons
na
Great company great people in a truck driver by name not number
Truck Driver Class A CDL (Current Employee) –  Turlock, CAFebruary 11, 2016
Man this company is great I make really good money if you want to run hard they week run you hard if you just want to play around you can do that. I never have a hard time getting home. I love the fact I can run to other states not just the west coast this job is awesome. The people are really understanding and will let you run the miles you need to make the cash I dint mind running out my area to make money
Pros
Being a trucker good miles and friendly people
Cons
Going to the same states to much i like to travel
poor management
Tanker driver (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CADecember 1, 2015
never home never home on time never paid to go home never paid to loading site never paid detention time never paid safety bonus never given a vacation if you wanna be just a truck number work for pennies never wanna go home wanna call the truck home then this is the job for you
Great CPM no miles to go with it
Tanker Driver (Current Employee) –  Turlock, CANovember 10, 2015
I currently work at irt ..for the time being ... The west coast is so slow with freight. Alot of sitting and not getting paid.. When i took this job i knew there was no detention but i didnt know i was gonna sit at a shipper or receiver for 6 plus hrs ( longest i sat was 27 hrs) the trucks are great but no miles to go with it..... Ever since i started working here ive actually had financial hardship... Ive made as low as 450 dollars....450 dollars. They charge you 300 dollars for chains( 25 each check when making awful pay) look i hate downing a company but truckers NEED TO KNOW THIS. Do not come here thinking your gonna get all the miles you advertise. I dont want any of you to go through the hardships ive been through. We as truckers deserve much better. Just waiting on some call backs and im out
Pros
Nice trucks
Cons
No miles seems like irt is losing the west coast
Newer Trucks and Trailers Good People
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CA YardJuly 30, 2015
I worked the West Coast Regional. Almost all I 5 and US 97. Live in Fresno, CA. Stayed out 3 weeks then took 3 or 4 days off. Never had a problem. If you were ahead of schedule and could swing by house on your run it was never an issue. I started at .36 mile and .09 was per diem. Its more money in your pocket. They pay by book miles not hub which is how most companies do. Benefits were ok for the driver but expensive when you add family members. Did a lot of empty miles, many times I would unload in Industry, CA and head up to Prosser, WA to wash out then load. It all pays the same! I worked there before E-Logs, these should help their CSA scores and get rid of the "outlaws" who ran multiple books. I did a few times in order to make exrtra money. You will sit at shippers and recievers this is a tanker job! You are at plants that shut down for maintenance or other issues, its part of being a food grade tanker yanker. Dispatch was always fair, but I didn't complain, pick up and deliver on time and they will leave you alone. They never micro managed me, qual-comm hardly ever went off. I may go back to work for them after I have some needed knee surgery. You will always have newer equipment when you run out of the Turlock yard due to CA being so hard on us out there.
Good luck and keep the black side rolling.
Pros
Really nice truks, spe'd nicely
Cons
Its trucking, if ya don;t know you aint a trucker
IRT promises not kept
solo tank driver (Current Employee) –  NM WINTER HAVEN AND TURLOCK CAMay 27, 2015
I made great money the first 90 days
Almost$1000 per week.
Then the sitting and waiting and deadheads
that allowed me to go back and check pay sheets. WOW. Almost wished I had not looked!
$600 plus reimbursements.
Milage paid vs milage ran 10% short.
Runs left off... percentage runs were 20%
of cut rate halls with major delays at
both ends of mid range loads which took
more time and equalled <$3 per hr for the
hrs worked.
I complained and got promise after promise
to fix and pay .....nothing.
Great trucks!A lot of them now sitting.
Drivers are now getting informed about the payroll situation here and are quitting in dozens. Checks cut on Friday but you do not get until mon or tues. Always 1 week behind.
Typical shell game on pay but no money.
Elogs cut down on pressure but unfortunately
no pay great trucks is the equation for going broke. I am filing federal DOL COMPLAINT!
Pros
Great trucks Good people
Cons
Big promises no results no money
see the world and make money while doing it
Commercial Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLMay 1, 2015
I have been a truck driver for 10 plus years. Its a great career,but it requires a lot of sacrifice.I was just ready to find something new to do personally. I still would drive a truck but,but for me it has to be locally. I have nothing bad to say about the profession.
Pros
the places you go and people you meet
Cons
Good company to work for
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLApril 12, 2015
I enjoyed my time with Indian River. They were great to work with. The pay was satisfactory and work well with employees when we need to be home.
Pros
Good trucks and equipment
Cons
Sometimes on one available on weekends