Indian River Transport Employee Reviews in United States

Professional Driver (Current Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLFebruary 16, 2016
i enjoy being close to home.
The men and women in dispatch that send me on my loads keep me running and busy, no long time sitting waiting to get at load.
Pros
na
Cons
na
Great company great people in a truck driver by name not number
Truck Driver Class A CDL (Current Employee) –  Turlock, CAFebruary 11, 2016
Man this company is great I make really good money if you want to run hard they week run you hard if you just want to play around you can do that. I never have a hard time getting home. I love the fact I can run to other states not just the west coast this job is awesome. The people are really understanding and will let you run the miles you need to make the cash I dint mind running out my area to make money
Pros
Being a trucker good miles and friendly people
Cons
Going to the same states to much i like to travel
poor management
Tanker driver (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CADecember 1, 2015
never home never home on time never paid to go home never paid to loading site never paid detention time never paid safety bonus never given a vacation if you wanna be just a truck number work for pennies never wanna go home wanna call the truck home then this is the job for you
Great CPM no miles to go with it
Tanker Driver (Current Employee) –  Turlock, CANovember 10, 2015
I currently work at irt ..for the time being ... The west coast is so slow with freight. Alot of sitting and not getting paid.. When i took this job i knew there was no detention but i didnt know i was gonna sit at a shipper or receiver for 6 plus hrs ( longest i sat was 27 hrs) the trucks are great but no miles to go with it..... Ever since i started working here ive actually had financial hardship... Ive made as low as 450 dollars....450 dollars. They charge you 300 dollars for chains( 25 each check when making awful pay) look i hate downing a company but truckers NEED TO KNOW THIS. Do not come here thinking your gonna get all the miles you advertise. I dont want any of you to go through the hardships ive been through. We as truckers deserve much better. Just waiting on some call backs and im out
Pros
Nice trucks
Cons
No miles seems like irt is losing the west coast
Newer Trucks and Trailers Good People
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CA YardJuly 30, 2015
I worked the West Coast Regional. Almost all I 5 and US 97. Live in Fresno, CA. Stayed out 3 weeks then took 3 or 4 days off. Never had a problem. If you were ahead of schedule and could swing by house on your run it was never an issue. I started at .36 mile and .09 was per diem. Its more money in your pocket. They pay by book miles not hub which is how most companies do. Benefits were ok for the driver but expensive when you add family members. Did a lot of empty miles, many times I would unload in Industry, CA and head up to Prosser, WA to wash out then load. It all pays the same! I worked there before E-Logs, these should help their CSA scores and get rid of the "outlaws" who ran multiple books. I did a few times in order to make exrtra money. You will sit at shippers and recievers this is a tanker job! You are at plants that shut down for maintenance or other issues, its part of being a food grade tanker yanker. Dispatch was always fair, but I didn't complain, pick up and deliver on time and they will leave you alone. They never micro managed me, qual-comm hardly ever went off. I may go back to work for them after I have some needed knee surgery. You will always have newer equipment when you run out of the Turlock yard due to CA being so hard on us out there.
Good luck and keep the black side rolling.
Pros
Really nice truks, spe'd nicely
Cons
Its trucking, if ya don;t know you aint a trucker
IRT promises not kept
solo tank driver (Current Employee) –  NM WINTER HAVEN AND TURLOCK CAMay 27, 2015
I made great money the first 90 days
Almost$1000 per week.
Then the sitting and waiting and deadheads
that allowed me to go back and check pay sheets. WOW. Almost wished I had not looked!
$600 plus reimbursements.
Milage paid vs milage ran 10% short.
Runs left off... percentage runs were 20%
of cut rate halls with major delays at
both ends of mid range loads which took
more time and equalled <$3 per hr for the
hrs worked.
I complained and got promise after promise
to fix and pay .....nothing.
Great trucks!A lot of them now sitting.
Drivers are now getting informed about the payroll situation here and are quitting in dozens. Checks cut on Friday but you do not get until mon or tues. Always 1 week behind.
Typical shell game on pay but no money.
Elogs cut down on pressure but unfortunately
no pay great trucks is the equation for going broke. I am filing federal DOL COMPLAINT!
Pros
Great trucks Good people
Cons
Big promises no results no money
see the world and make money while doing it
Commercial Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLMay 1, 2015
I have been a truck driver for 10 plus years. Its a great career,but it requires a lot of sacrifice.I was just ready to find something new to do personally. I still would drive a truck but,but for me it has to be locally. I have nothing bad to say about the profession.
Pros
the places you go and people you meet
Cons
Good company to work for
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLApril 12, 2015
I enjoyed my time with Indian River. They were great to work with. The pay was satisfactory and work well with employees when we need to be home.
Pros
Good trucks and equipment
Cons
Sometimes on one available on weekends
Want to work for free?
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLMarch 4, 2015
The company have good people to work for they very nice and the trucks are Also very nice but they don't pay for nothing other than your mileage since they got e logs you can't make no money read no money please change
Pros
Nice trucks and people
Cons
pay
Where greed, dishonesty and favoritism are king.
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Winter Haven, FloridaJanuary 27, 2015
Dispatch rarely does what they say they will. The appt times listed on the Qualcomm are rarely correct. You will be on e-logs. You will waste many days at shippers and receivers because once you're finally done getting loaded/unloaded you won't have time left on your 14 to do anything else that day, and you won't get a dime for all that waiting because there is no detention pay. Lots of short loads, very few with good miles. Trucks are brand new and the terminals are well maintained, and you would think with all the money they spend they would take some of it and start paying the drivers for more than just miles, but that is not the case. Management rides around in Cadillacs and Range Rovers while those of us who make all of the money that paid for those luxury cars are killing outselves while averaging $600 a week before taxes. The planners and customer service people are not allowed to turn down any loads offered to them by customers, and anyone who does will be fired. If someone advises the customers that their loads will be late because we don't have enough trucks to cover even half of them, that person will be fired also. It doesn't make any difference how nice or new your truck is when you're only making enough to get by.
Pros
new trucks with satellite radio and refrigerators
Cons
everything else
Don't get too comfortable with your job. It could end any day...
MW Planner (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLJanuary 18, 2015
Company doesn't care about employees or HOS. I was told to not turn down any loads and worry about covering them later.

My last day there as a planner I had 52 outbound loads for my region the following day with 12 inbound trucks. I kept telling them it was impossible to cover what I had and the CSR would keep booking more. Needless to say, I was fired for poor customer service because I had to advise 40 customers I would be late picking up their loads.
Pros
coworkers are decent people, everybody tries to help each other because all of their jobs are on the line.
Cons
rarely took a break, work past scheduled times, they make it impossible to do your job, family owned and the family needs to get out of the office.
Sit for days on end
Regional Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLAugust 6, 2014
After sitting for three days at the terminal, you will get a load that has to go from the Amarillo, TX area to the Little Rock, AR area. This particular delivery should take less than one day. However, you will have two days to make the delivery - and most of the time the receiver will NOT take the delivery early.

Wait time is not paid without special permission from management - and that is like pulling teeth without Novocaine. If you have to go pick up a load from Mexico, good luck. I delivered the trailer to the shipper, who took the trailer across the border on day one. On day two it was loaded. On day three the trailer was returned. I was able to reset my hours, but I was not paid for the time I was sitting.

Dispatch will not pay attention to requests for time off. Unless you "force" the issue, they will not give you the requested time off.

On a good note, however, if your route will take you within 100 miles of your home and you have the time to do so, they will let you go home for a day or so instead of delivering early and having to sit at the shipper or receiver.

They will tell you up front that you're making .29¢ per mile. Then, during orientation, they tell you that you're actually making .26¢ per mile, with .03¢ per mile per diem. You don't have a choice but to participate in the per diem program. You do the math... In the short run, this equates to less taxes being taken out of your check. However, IN THE LONG RUN, this equates to LESS money for the DRIVER!!! Not to mention that it is less money going toward your Social Security and Medicaid/Medicare benefits
  more... that you will desperately need later in life. It also counts as less money for income should you want to get a bank loan for any reason  less
Pros
can go home if it's within reason of your route.
Cons
almost everything else.
Company has much more potential if allowed
Vice President of Operation (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLJuly 29, 2014
Will discuss in interview setting.
This company has the potential to be a great company to work for if management that is hired on is allowed to do their job.
Pros
late model equipment
Cons
healthcare
Complete liars
OTR Liquid Food Grade Tanker Driver (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLJuly 30, 2013
When I talked to the recruiter at Indian River, I specifically asked if their equipment had APU's (Auxiliary Power Unit) and if they allowed pets in the trucks. I was told that they did have APU's and that they allowed pets. At my first day of orientation, I noticed the trucks sitting in the yard did not have APU's on them. When I asked the head of maintenance if these trucks were the only ones that were not equipped with APU's. His answer was that none of Indian River trucks had Apu's. You could have a power inverter installed but it would cost the driver a non refundable $250.00. During the actual classroom time, the instructor stated that the company had a strict NO PET policy.
Cons
everything
Co-workers are very kind and are willing to help with questions you may have
Regional Driver (Former Employee) –  Clovis, NMJuly 21, 2013
Management and Dispatch needs to be better for drivers to get the miles and loads they need to make a decent paycheck. If you like sitting around waiting for a load then this is the job for you. Local runs to the cheese plant only pay 45-50 dollars with up to 4-5 hr wait times. No extra money for wait times at any dairy farm you pu or deliver to.
Pros
driver friendly
Cons
poor dispatch and management
only good thing about this co. is their trucks. dont get tricked by the .35 cents per mile
driver (Former Employee) –  clovis n.m.February 27, 2013
goin to work for indian was the biggest mistake i made. they do not care about their drivers time especially the wait time at the plant. u drive 10 hours to get there (winnsborro tx) then once u are their the average wait time on 15 trips i made their was at least 40 hours. i spent up to 58 hours their and the least i spent there was 38 hours. this is suppose to b drop and hook but isnt. they dont pay u nothn till after 48 hours then its $40 a day. this is highway robbery totally take advantage of drivers. u no once that truck crosses scale the cheapscate company gets paid but not driver. so in summary on one load spend about 60 total hours on a $350 pay. THIS WILL BREAK U MENTALLY AND FINANCIALLY TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MIGHT AS WELL WORK AT WALMART AS A GREETER AND MAKE MORE. THEY EVEN CHEAT U OUT OF THE $40 A DAY WAIT TIME!!!!!!! run while u can
Pros
trucks
Cons
everything else
6 years and no problems
Driver (Current Employee) –  Clovis,N.M.December 23, 2012
I have been driving for this company for six years...I have no complaints...I haul milk out of Clovis,N.M. to where it is going. I live in Missouri...I get home when I need to..All I do is drive the truck..I don't touch anything on the tank in loading or unloading.I don't argue with someone on a price to be unloaded,unload myself,or listen to my CB to be called to a door.....I check in ,go back to my truck,and they will come and get me when they are ready for me.Wait times at dairies can be long at times...And no,I don't get paid to sit..It happens,but rarely.But that's trucking....
My pay varies with the miles,but I make good money...Yes,I have a bad week now and then,but I don't refuse to take a load...
It takes time to learn the system and your dispatcher to learn you,so give it time...In time you will be saying::: "If it has a flat floor or swinging doors,I don't want anything to do with it".
Ladies,this is a job for you...You just drive the truck...We have many women drivers...
Pros
great trucks with gps built in the dash......good miles if you want to run...

Comment – January 15, 2013

not being paid to sit is not trucking it is robbery

Comment – February 3, 2013

Been employed since the 16th of January and I'm very happy with the company so far,pay checks have been over a 1000.00 a week take home.I team but the wait times are long at times mostly on milk loads though.

Terminal manager, (Former Employee) –  Indiana, New MexicoNovember 29, 2012
I only wish terminal had not closed due to loss of business. I was hired to do a job as terminal manager and had complete trust and confidence of my Boss which made my job a pleasure to do for the company as well as myself.
Pros
satisfaction
Cons
job ended
Good job security
Driver (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLSeptember 20, 2012
Plenty of miles, low miles new trucks, reasonable time to deliver, and food grade tanker is easy to deliver either drop and hook or customer loads and unloads. The only negative can be hometime and driving through inclimate weather. My best times trucking were working with this copany for six years. Was able to see all 48 states and Canada.
Pros
plenty of work .
Cons
home time.

Comment – April 28, 2013

Check there score

Challenging enviroment that required multi tasking capabilities.
Load Planner / Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, Fl and Flemington, NjFebruary 19, 2012
With a fleet of over 500 trucks and drivers, all being tracked and dispatched through the Innovative AS/400 dispatching system and Qual Comm Tracking system, We maintained the highest level of service through all 48 states and Canada.
Pros
stable and organized work enviroment.

Comment – September 3, 2012

my husband has been there for a little over 4 wks. so far, his pay has been wrong 1 time and late 2 times. today is pay day and guess what??? no deposit in our account. the pay is terrible and not on time. if he isnt driving 24/7 he is not making any money. lots of waiting to be loaded time with out being paid and lots of problems getting paid with this company. i would not recomend it to anyone.

Comment – July 14, 2013

Hello, I am Intersted become a driver for IR,I live in Lethbridge ,AB,Canada. I like to know how it is those days to run for IR?? I want to run from Florida to Canada something like that. all kind of info is appreciated.

Comment – July 14, 2013

why do I read here all kind of bad storys,and when on the I talk with lots of I R drivers and they told me that it was ok to run for them.

2.7