Indian River Transport

Indian River Transport Employer Reviews

One of the largest milk haulers in the country
cdl driver (Current Employee), Winter Haven, FLJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: nice new trucks, lots of miles
Cons: poor driver culture, benefits, etc.
Typical OTR work that is difficult to combine with a home life. Only average pay on above average miles with non existing or expensive benifits. $50 gift card for Thanksgiving, no Christmas or safety bonus.
Recent hires are inexperienced swift school graduates so if your new to driving and want to endanger yourself and the general public IRT has a nice new truck for you.
Sit for days on end
Regional Truck Driver (Former Employee), Winter Haven, FLAugust 6, 2014
Pros: can go home if it's within reason of your route.
Cons: almost everything else.
After sitting for three days at the terminal, you will get a load that has to go from the Amarillo, TX area to the Little Rock, AR area. This particular delivery should take less than one day. However, you will have two days to make the delivery - and most of the time the receiver will NOT take the delivery early.

Wait time is not paid without special permission from management - and that is like pulling teeth without Novocaine. If you have to go pick up a load from Mexico, good luck. I delivered the trailer to the shipper, who took the trailer across the border on day one. On day two it was loaded. On day three the trailer was returned. I was able to reset my hours, but I was not paid for the time I was sitting.

Dispatch will not pay attention to requests for time off. Unless you "force" the issue, they will not give you the requested time off.

On a good note, however, if your route will take you within 100 miles of your home and you have the time to do so, they will let you go home for a day or so instead of delivering early and having to sit at the shipper or receiver.

They will tell you up front that you're making .29¢ per mile. Then, during orientation, they tell you that you're actually making .26¢ per mile, with .03¢ per mile per diem. You don't have a choice but to participate in the per diem program. You do the math... In the short run, this equates to less taxes being taken out of your check. However, IN THE LONG RUN, this equates to LESS money for the DRIVER!!! Not to mention that it is less money going toward your Social Security and Medicaid/Medicare benefits that you will desperately need later in life. It also counts as less money for income should you want to get a bank loan for any reason
Company has much more potential if allowed
Vice President of Operation (Former Employee), Winter Haven, FLJuly 29, 2014
Pros: late model equipment
Cons: healthcare
Will discuss in interview setting.
This company has the potential to be a great company to work for if management that is hired on is allowed to do their job.
Complete liars
OTR Liquid Food Grade Tanker Driver (Former Employee), Winter Haven, FLJuly 30, 2013
Cons: everything
When I talked to the recruiter at Indian River, I specifically asked if their equipment had APU's (Auxiliary Power Unit) and if they allowed pets in the trucks. I was told that they did have APU's and that they allowed pets. At my first day of orientation, I noticed the trucks sitting in the yard did not have APU's on them. When I asked the head of maintenance if these trucks were the only ones that were not equipped with APU's. His answer was that none of Indian River trucks had Apu's. You could have a power inverter installed but it would cost the driver a non refundable $250.00. During the actual classroom time, the instructor stated that the company had a strict NO PET policy.
Co-workers are very kind and are willing to help with questions you may have
Regional Driver (Former Employee), Clovis, NMJuly 21, 2013
Pros: driver friendly
Cons: poor dispatch and management
Management and Dispatch needs to be better for drivers to get the miles and loads they need to make a decent paycheck. If you like sitting around waiting for a load then this is the job for you. Local runs to the cheese plant only pay 45-50 dollars with up to 4-5 hr wait times. No extra money for wait times at any dairy farm you pu or deliver to.
only good thing about this co. is their trucks. dont get tricked by the .35 cents per mile
driver (Former Employee), clovis n.m.February 27, 2013
Pros: trucks
Cons: everything else
goin to work for indian was the biggest mistake i made. they do not care about their drivers time especially the wait time at the plant. u drive 10 hours to get there (winnsborro tx) then once u are their the average wait time on 15 trips i made their was at least 40 hours. i spent up to 58 hours their and the least i spent there was 38 hours. this is suppose to b drop and hook but isnt. they dont pay u nothn till after 48 hours then its $40 a day. this is highway robbery totally take advantage of drivers. u no once that truck crosses scale the cheapscate company gets paid but not driver. so in summary on one load spend about 60 total hours on a $350 pay. THIS WILL BREAK U MENTALLY AND FINANCIALLY TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MIGHT AS WELL WORK AT WALMART AS A GREETER AND MAKE MORE. THEY EVEN CHEAT U OUT OF THE $40 A DAY WAIT TIME!!!!!!! run while u can
6 years and no problems
Driver (Current Employee), Clovis,N.M.December 23, 2012
Pros: great trucks with gps built in the dash......good miles if you want to run...
I have been driving for this company for six years...I have no complaints...I haul milk out of Clovis,N.M. to where it is going. I live in Missouri...I get home when I need to..All I do is drive the truck..I don't touch anything on the tank in loading or unloading.I don't argue with someone on a price to be unloaded,unload myself,or listen to my CB to be called to a door.....I check in ,go back to my truck,and they will come and get me when they are ready for me.Wait times at dairies can be long at times...And no,I don't get paid to sit..It happens,but rarely.But that's trucking....
My pay varies with the miles,but I make good money...Yes,I have a bad week now and then,but I don't refuse to take a load...
It takes time to learn the system and your dispatcher to learn you,so give it time...In time you will be saying::: "If it has a flat floor or swinging doors,I don't want anything to do with it".
Ladies,this is a job for you...You just drive the truck...We have many women drivers...

January 15, 2013

not being paid to sit is not trucking it is robbery

February 3, 2013

Been employed since the 16th of January and I'm very happy with the company so far,pay checks have been over a 1000.00 a week take home.I team but the wait times are long at times mostly on milk loads though.

Terminal manager, (Former Employee), Indiana, New MexicoNovember 29, 2012
Pros: satisfaction
Cons: job ended
I only wish terminal had not closed due to loss of business. I was hired to do a job as terminal manager and had complete trust and confidence of my Boss which made my job a pleasure to do for the company as well as myself.
Good job security
Driver (Former Employee), Winter Haven, FLSeptember 20, 2012
Pros: plenty of work .
Cons: home time.
Plenty of miles, low miles new trucks, reasonable time to deliver, and food grade tanker is easy to deliver either drop and hook or customer loads and unloads. The only negative can be hometime and driving through inclimate weather. My best times trucking were working with this copany for six years. Was able to see all 48 states and Canada.

April 28, 2013

Check there score

Challenging enviroment that required multi tasking capabilities.
Load Planner / Fleet Manager (Former Employee), Winter Haven, Fl and Flemington, NjFebruary 19, 2012
Pros: stable and organized work enviroment.
With a fleet of over 500 trucks and drivers, all being tracked and dispatched through the Innovative AS/400 dispatching system and Qual Comm Tracking system, We maintained the highest level of service through all 48 states and Canada.

September 3, 2012

my husband has been there for a little over 4 wks. so far, his pay has been wrong 1 time and late 2 times. today is pay day and guess what??? no deposit in our account. the pay is terrible and not on time. if he isnt driving 24/7 he is not making any money. lots of waiting to be loaded time with out being paid and lots of problems getting paid with this company. i would not recomend it to anyone.

July 14, 2013

Hello, I am Intersted become a driver for IR,I live in Lethbridge ,AB,Canada. I like to know how it is those days to run for IR?? I want to run from Florida to Canada something like that. all kind of info is appreciated.

July 14, 2013

why do I read here all kind of bad storys,and when on the I talk with lots of I R drivers and they told me that it was ok to run for them.

Bad company!!
Driver (Current Employee), CaliforniaOctober 20, 2011
Pros: new truck
Cons: push to run illegal logs, pushed to run over weight, no detention pay with lots of detention time, must pay for your own tire chains
To much negative to list here. Not driver friendly at all.