Indiana University Health Employee Reviews

A very competent and knowledgeable staff and management
Technical Coordinator- 2nd Shift Core Lab (Former Employee), 350 W. 11th St Indianapolis, INJune 22, 2015
Pros: Smooth functioning of the departments, due to competence of techs.
Cons: Some inter-departmental squabbling
Coming in at 3pm, I would get with the first shift Supervisors of Hematology and Chemistry for a few minutes and find out what was going on, read emails, interact with my direct reports, and often report to a bench for an evening of bench work. I learned that people have more respect for a supervisor if they demonstrate that they are competent at the jobs that the bench techs are doing. The co-workers at IU Health were some of the best people I ever worked with: sharp and hard-working. Hardest part of the job was having to do corrective actions occasionally, but that was very rare. Most enjoyable part of the job was how well everyone worked together. It really was a good group
Fast paced steady environment
PFS Analyst Billing and Collections (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJune 15, 2015
Fast growing company, many new faces and daily changes throughout the organization, Very challenging work environment.
Great Place!
Cerner Go-Live Support Consultant (Former Employee), Bloomington, INJune 12, 2015
This is one of the best hospitals to work at. Awesome staff, great medical care. Nice environment to work in for first time worker.
Worked with great people
Insurance coordinator (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJune 10, 2015
With the company for 8 years worked with a lot of good people and doctors. I was able to advantage of going back to school to further my education with the benefits.
DO NOT WORK HERE
CMA (Former Employee), Bloomington,INMay 21, 2015
Pros: Nothing
Cons: Poor Pay, No benefits
I have never been paid this little in my 15 years of working in the healthcare industry. Medical Assistants starting pay is 11.00 an hour. The hours are horrible too. I am just glad I only worked here a year.
One of the great Healthcare Institutions of the US
Statewide Director of Operations and Integrations (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INApril 10, 2015
Pros: Leadership Opportunities
Cons: High Turnover
Although I no longer work at Indiana University Health, I greatly appreciate the opportunities they gave me and the progress I was able to help my teams make.
There are reasons why nearly half the staff quit at the same time.
employee (Current Employee), Carmel, INApril 2, 2015
Pros: Competitive compensation, friendly atmosphere
Cons: direct management micromanages department, lost all autonomy, management isn't open to change, very slow to get access, benefits are only this system (if you need help but are not in the area you will be self pay), no breaks (except lunch)
I started work prior to orientation because the department was so desperate for help. It's been a while now and I still cannot clock in or access the program to examine patient data.
Management is unwilling to change procedures to optimize the department's success and allow deliveries to be timely (the procedural change was to be on par with other facilities throughout the state). Even the most basic changes that wouldn't, under normal circumstances, require any approval require a management approval, which would result in management reverting the change back to the original status anyway. Most staff does things without approval (this isn't a bad thing), because otherwise nothing would be appropriated properly. Management is also so obsessed with waste but doesn't bother to "recycle" usable items and instead throws things away and only wants the bare minimum ordered.
Management covers multiple departments but only "manages" this one. The other departments don't have a "director" and are essentially running themselves.
Most of the people in this department has been in the field nearly 10 years but management treat staff like they have ZERO experience.
The department itself is so small that it needs to be moved to allow for more space. Storage is actually kept in the hallway or is shared in a remote location (on site) with other departments.
Productive and fun work environment
Summer Intern (Former Employee), Bloomington, INMarch 17, 2015
Gathered and compiled crucial data that was necessary for the migration project
Created an excel pivot table to organize and process large amounts of information
Completed multiple tasks with favorable results despite various deadlines
Productive work place
Associate Partner Registered Nurse/charge Nurse/fu (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INMarch 3, 2015
Excellent opportunity for advancement in leadership. Co workers were great! Benefits were ok, however raises were held for 2 years. Patient ratio to nurse 5:1.
Unprofessional, inexperienced managers
registered nurse (Former Employee), IU Health Ball MemorialFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: great coworkers who care about their patients and coworkers.
Cons: no breaks, no support from management, poorly prepared managers
I worked at Ball Memorial for over 20 years when IU Health took over. It has been down hill since. The work environment is much more stressful. The morale has hit rock bottom. Reminded that you are an "at will" employee that can be fired for no reason when IU Health took over. Our service line manager came in from Indy and replaced all 4 nurse managers the first year she was here. She left the system shortly after. I had 3 nurse managers in 3 years. I loved my patients, my unit, and my coworkers. They are great and I will miss them. It is sad to see so many people who loved their jobs, and try so hard to maintain that love, only to be left with a disappointing unfulfilling job. Now it is a hostile, stressed out, short staffed unit. I have seen numerous long term employees that were fired, forced out by bullying and intimidation, or just got tired of it and left. The ER is down right scary with so many inexperienced new nurses that don't know what they are doing. Sure it is cheaper but eventually what goes around comes around. I just hope my family members don't ever have to suffer as a result. HR is no help as they side with managers. I went to the EAP for help with job related stress and it was a joke. Only got to go once and was referred elsewhere. So much for the free counseling. Managers are poorly trained. The most recent nurse manager I've had made it known to us that she didn't really want to be our manager but was forced to take on our unit as they eliminated our unit manager position to save money. She has no experience with our unit and the workflow of our unit. IU – more... Health also implements new policies/procedures with little or no official notice. Often new policies were initiated with training to follow. Notification is often word of mouth. I think Indiana University didn't think it through when they allowed the use of their name for this health care company. I realize healthcare is a business but it is the business of caring. The lack of care for employees will eventually filter down to patients who feel uncared for because their caregivers are stressed out, overworked, shortstaffed, and miserable. – less

July 3, 2015

Seems like most people making positive comments on this site are not nurses or they are nurse managers. I don't think the floor nurses for this organization are happy. The floor nurses are vital to a successful hospital system. If they were happy, would they be trying to unionize? I don't think it is about the money but more about the lack of respect and compassion for the employees. I have also noticed this organization has several job postings and several travel agencies trying to fill the positions. This is a red flag for me!

Upper Management Makes Life Miserable
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Critical Care Methodist HospitalFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: wonderful coworkers
Cons: soul-sucking corporate wasteland
I started out as a Student Nurse at Methodist Hospital, and I still love the unit I work in, the people I work with and my unit manager, but I've been here as this wonderful hospital has been twisted into the Indiana University Hospital Corporation. The Corporate Heads are making record profits, patting themselves on the backs with multi-million dollar bonuses, while our benefits get cut to the bare bones and our raises become nonexistent. I am on this website to find another job -- ANY job -- to get me out of this soul-sucking corporate wasteland.
Your workplace environment is everything
Central Intake Representative II (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 5, 2015
There is nothing better than coming to work everyday seeing smiling, friendly faces. We have a strong bond and remain very willing to help each other during stressful times. We are a team no matter what. We support each other, we lean on each other, we care about each other... At the end of the day, my co-workers feel like another family. Despite how crazy of a day it is, you can count on one good laugh! The environment makes it easier for an employee to do their work. I appreciate having that at IU Health.
Insurance specialist in pre arrival services
PreService specialist (Former Employee), GeorgetownFebruary 2, 2015
This could have been a great job. Unfortunately it was not. Management had their favorites and if you were not one, you could forget it. Promotions only happen if you are friends with management. Two that got promoted knocked someone else out of the position that had been with this company their entire life. Those two did nothing but lie to get others in trouble and steal others work( easier work ), to make it look like they did it all. Management, and I use the term loosely, would talk about staff to other staff, tell her two favorites what had been told to her in confidence, and talk about staff on the phone with her office door wide open, and did not make any attempt at all to lower her voice. Manager sat in office all day and read peoples instant messages. If you were on her list, had her favorites walk around and spy on you and even count how many times you get got up to go to the bathroom. Manager is a very obese bitter divorced woman who hated life and wants everyone else to hate it as well. Manager was biggest pot stirrer in there and none of upper management could seem to figure out why that dept was a tier 3. Tier 3 meaning no one was happy there. One if managers favorites, spoke like a 13 year old like girl using " like" like every other like word she said. Further proof manager wanted everyone as miserable as her was if you attempted to transfer out of the department, she would sabotage it in any and every way she could.
My unit and job was eliminated
ePartners Staff (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 25, 2015
Hard place to work A lot of leadership turnover High patient ratios
Very innovative and believe in providing great patient service
Coordinator HIM Operations (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: employee recognition, education, and innovations
Cons: none that i can think of
Indiana University is a fun place to work, and very creative. One of kind healthcare organization strive to become perfect in every since of healthcare in providing services to patients and the community.
Great management--not able to work up
Diagnostic Technologist (Current Employee), Lafayette, INJanuary 13, 2015
Great management, but difficult to move up. My coworkers are great to work with!
Great people
Cerner Analyst (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INDecember 8, 2014
Working here has been a pleasant experience. I enjoy the work I do and feel like I am a contributing factor to our team.
Find your niche!
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee), Bloomington, INDecember 1, 2014
I am very thankful to be given the opportunity to work here. With every career, you have your good and bad. IU Health is a great place for someone like me that does not have a college degree to plant my feet. Sure I could complain about my co-workers and management but they could do the same about me. We all have bad days. The importance of those bad days is to learn from them.
I loved being appreciated for the interest and efforts I made to help others.
Spanish Medical Interpreter (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INOctober 13, 2014
Working as a Spanish Medical interpreter at IU Health, was an amazing experience. Every day was different and there were always opportunities to be effective and useful and appreciated by both staff and patients. Manager and supervisor were always supportive and open to listening to my experiences and suggestions.
Co-workers were supportive, team workers and willing to pitch in when needed. When I made mistakes, they were there to help see a better or a different way to do things. Encouraged to participate in educational activities, volunteer activities in the community and fun activities for the team. The hardest part of the job was overcoming, my fear of computers and learning how to use them. The most enjoyable part was knowing that every day I made a positive difference in someone's life.
Service Assistant - Dietary
Service Assistant (Former Employee), DietaryOctober 4, 2014
Pros: co workers
Cons: management
I wouldn't advise anyone to work in this department. The management is highly disorganized. They give you multiple job duties that the time doesn't permit you to accomplish it all in. They are mediocre they just desire to get by with getting food out and don't care about doing things with excellence. Don't be afraid to stand your ground because they will walk all over you if you allow them. Ask them why their turn around rate is so high for the job as well?